Author Topic: Heavy weights= Big muscles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 19727 times)

The Heckler

Re: Heavy weights= Big muscles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 09:26:22 AM »
Sure it's true.....as long as your reps are around the 8-12 range!

ok mr bench press numbers faker  ::)

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
Sure it's true.....as long as your reps are around the 8-12 range!

I disagree.

Why would a reprange of 8-12 reps stimulate your muscles more than 3-8 reps?  ::)

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »
Stimulating muscle growth is not a matter of lifting heavy ass weights for a few hard reps but it is rather a matter of using enough tension over a long enough time and repeating this process. In plain words this means that muscle hypertrophy (the actual growth, thickening of existing muscle fibers) occurs most when you use 10-15 reps, with 12 being the ideal number. 12 reps equals a long enough time to impose the kind of tension your muscles need to respond with growth. This process needs to be repeated several times during your workout as repetitiveness is crucial.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 10:59:12 AM »
Stimulating muscle growth is not a matter of lifting heavy ass weights for a few hard reps but it is rather a matter of using enough tension over a long enough time and repeating this process. In plain words this means that muscle hypertrophy (the actual growth, thickening of existing muscle fibers) occurs most when you use 10-15 reps, with 12 being the ideal number. 12 reps equals a long enough time to impose the kind of tension your muscles need to respond with growth. This process needs to be repeated several times during your workout as repetitiveness is crucial.
translation=the most physical thing you did as a kid is play some Nintendo followed by eating Cheetos to failure and you expect size from light weights.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »
AHAAHAHAH!!!  This thread has a Bluto meltdown written all over it.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007, 11:32:02 AM »

What if you do 4-6 reps in a slow and controlled fashion, the negative being twice the time as the positive portion? the time under tension would be the same as 12 pumping reps correct? i have always responded the best to slow controlled reps in the 3-8 rep range.

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
I always follow the advice of the smallest guys in the gym, and guys who won't post their pic on a bbing board.

---------

The pros have already weighted in on this matter...
hahahahaha, this coming from a fat clown who uses every bodybuilding drug known to man along with synthol and follows the lifestyle to a T and still looks like an 8 dollar an hour bouncer in an East St. Louis strip club.

The Heckler

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
hahahahaha, this coming from a fat clown who uses every bodybuilding drug known to man along with synthol and follows the lifestyle to a T and still looks like an 8 dollar an hour bouncer in an East St. Louis strip club.

lmao

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 11:53:59 AM »

Covienient theory you try to blind eveyone with to hide your weakness!!

Different things work for different people! but 12 reps if you say so!! ahahahaha

why not 13? 14? 15? 16? do tell you little twat

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
I disagree.

Why would a reprange of 8-12 reps stimulate your muscles more than 3-8 reps?  ::)

Rule of thumb.....

3-5 reps power

6-10 reps strength

8-12 reps hypertrophy

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
Covienient theory you try to blind eveyone with to hide your weakness!!

Different things work for different people! but 12 reps if you say so!! ahahahaha

why not 13? 14? 15? 16? do tell you little twat

ta ta

Again, it's a rule of thumb, in most cases anything over 15 reps results in muscular endurance!

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
Yeah I know that but it just seems he is excusing himself of heavy lifts.

Myself I go relatively low but always mix it up with higher reps but would never stick to one rep range solely!!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
Isn't the idea to continually give your body some type of stimulus which causes the body to respond and get bigger?  All this 2 reps for strength, 8 reps for power, 15 reps for atonement of sins is crap. If you bench 100 kgs for 6 then six moths later you do 125 for 6, you are going to be bigger. If you bench 100 for 15 and six months later you bench 125 for 15, you are going to be bigger.  People always try and make things more complicated than it needs to be. Lift, get stronger, get bigger.

gettingbetter

• Getbig III
  • Fuck Yeah!
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »
weight and muscle size have very little correlation, unless you guys are talking about absolute strengtht, in wich case adipose tissue plays a much bigger role than actual muscle.

Powerlifter aren't necessarily big, neither are Olympic weighlifters, yet they are WAY, WAY, WAY stronger than most bodybuilders, especially sin roids.

Bodybuilders are predominantly type IA muscle fibers, those are the fibers that have the greatest hypertrophy potential, but do not contribute significantly to either explosive or absolute strength

Type IIB fibers, the ones displayed on sprinters and Olympicweightlifters, are responsible for strength.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2007, 12:22:16 PM »
weight and muscle size have very little correlation, unless you guys are talking about absolute strengtht, in wich case adipose tissue plays a much bigger role than actual muscle.

Powerlifter aren't necessarily big, neither are Olympic weighlifters, yet they are WAY, WAY, WAY stronger than most bodybuilders, especially sin roids.

Bodybuilders are predominantly type IA muscle fibers, those are the fibers that have the greatest hypertrophy potential, but do not contribute significantly to either explosive or absolute strength

Type IIB fibers, the ones displayed on sprinters and Olympicweightlifters, are responsible for strength.

Ok, brainiac.  ::)

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2007, 12:48:26 PM »
There is a distinctive difference between bodybuilders and weightlifters: BODYBUILDERS FOCUS ON THEIR MUSCLES WHILE WORKING OUT WHEREAS WEIGHTLIFTERS FOCUS ON THE WEIGHT THEY USE. Do yourself a favor and re-read this statement. It is one of the most important rules you can ever come across as a bodybuilder. Focus on the muscle and forget the amount of weight you handle. Your muscle doesn't have a calculator. If the weight is too heavy and reps are too low you focus on the weight and not the muscle. CONTROLLED MUSCLE TRAINING is the key to growth in bodybuilding. On top of that muscular tension has to be long enough and needs to be repeated. That is why approx. 12 reps per set are ideal. A procedure that needs to be repeated several times during your workout fot adaption to occur. Focusing on the muscle rather than the weight will also prevent CNS burnout, a must for muscular gains.

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2007, 01:21:02 PM »
What if you do 4-6 reps in a slow and controlled fashion, the negative being twice the time as the positive portion? the time under tension would be the same as 12 pumping reps correct? i have always responded the best to slow controlled reps in the 3-8 rep range.

8)

Frankly, I dont know the answer to this.

In regards to doing 12 reps I am not talking pump style reps but controlled reps at a steady pace with emphasizing the negative part of the rep by going slower and pushing up the weight with a normal speed. Going very slow or super slow to achieve the time period necessary for hypertrophy to be stimulated with just a few reps might do the job as well but I have my doubts. Never looked into this so I can't give you an answer.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
Go heavy or go home.

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »
Fill in the blanks -

Question 1: Who would you consider the most muscular man in bodybuilding? ____

Question 2: What kind of workout does he do? _____

Answer: Owned
tiny-tit bounty hunter

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »
Fill in the blanks -

Question 1: Who would you consider the most muscular man in bodybuilding? ____

Question 2: What kind of workout does he do? _____

Answer: Owned

Coleman

HEavy

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »
Coleman

HEavy

Congratulations Sir, you win. Your prize is owning the "rep" crowd.

Question 2 - When you see the guys in the gym that work out for months or even years and look exactly the same at the end of that time frame, do they train heavy or for reps?  _____

Answer - Owned Again
tiny-tit bounty hunter

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »
Rule of thumb.....

3-5 reps power

6-10 reps strength

8-12 reps hypertrophy

power vs. strength? explain the difference please.
its comin today

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »
6 to 8 reps is best for strength and size.  Even 4 reps with real heavy weight is okay.  Having a couple spotters and doing 110% of your peak is also very good.  Doing negatives with help increase your tendon strength as does lowering the weight slowly when lifting heavy.  Gotta have strong tendons.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »
Rule of thumb.....

3-5 reps power

6-10 reps strength

8-12 reps hypertrophy

That's a VERY general rule of thumb that schmucks in the fitness industry will tell you.   You can get growth from low reps with heavy weight too, the key is to mix up the rep ranges/volume to keep the body from adapting to a set routine.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2007, 05:02:53 PM »
That's a VERY general rule of thumb that schmucks in the fitness industry will tell you.   

...........and just about every elite S&C coach in the country based on university studies......these studies are with athletes NOT bodybuilders, I attend at least 4 seminars per year around the country including physical threrapy symposiums as it pertains to athletic performance..........son don't be a smart ass unless you absolutly know what you're talking about!