Author Topic: Obama backs gay marriage  (Read 12820 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Obama backs gay marriage
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »
In an exclusive interview, the president says same-sex couples "should be able to go ahead and get married."

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=Aor.ioBaz3GZd5JGNX3UPribvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVocmxncWVzBGEDMTIwNTA5IG5ld3Mgb2JhbWEgZ2F5IG1hcnJpYWdlIHYEY2NvZGUDcHpidWZjYWg1BGNwb3MDMQRlZAMxBGcDaWQtMjI3NTA2MgRpbnRsA3VzBGl0YwMwBG1jb2RlA3B6YnVhbGxjYWg1BG1wb3MDMQRwa2d0AzEEcGtndgMzMgRwb3MDMwRzZWMDdGQtZmVhBHNsawNtb3JlBHRlc3QDNzAxBHdvZQMxMjc3MDc2NA--/SIG=12v3jpetb/EXP=1336678913/**http%3A//gma.yahoo.com/obama-announces-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

Well, there goes the black vote.  And this is after repeatedly saying that Marriage is only between one man and one woman.  That was during the 2008 presidential campaign.  

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Obama backs gay marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Did you see his adviser say that he'd be for it after the election? He has perfect flip-flopping.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
The leftist fools on WaPo are already applauding him for "flip-flopping with dignity". I expect 180 to follow suit and do so while criticizing Romney down the road for flip-flopping.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
Its all about the cash man!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »
What a shock.  The man is an outright liar. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »
Aren't all the black people who showed up just to vote for Obama in 2008 the same people who voted NO Gay Marriage to Preparation H?  I mean...Proposition Eight?  Not very smart of Obama team.  

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
In an exclusive interview, the president says same-sex couples "should be able to go ahead and get married."

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=Aor.ioBaz3GZd5JGNX3UPribvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVocmxncWVzBGEDMTIwNTA5IG5ld3Mgb2JhbWEgZ2F5IG1hcnJpYWdlIHYEY2NvZGUDcHpidWZjYWg1BGNwb3MDMQRlZAMxBGcDaWQtMjI3NTA2MgRpbnRsA3VzBGl0YwMwBG1jb2RlA3B6YnVhbGxjYWg1BG1wb3MDMQRwa2d0AzEEcGtndgMzMgRwb3MDMwRzZWMDdGQtZmVhBHNsawNtb3JlBHRlc3QDNzAxBHdvZQMxMjc3MDc2NA--/SIG=12v3jpetb/EXP=1336678913/**http%3A//gma.yahoo.com/obama-announces-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

Well, there goes the black vote.  And this is after repeatedly saying that Marriage is only between one man and one woman.  That was during the 2008 presidential campaign.  

I can assure you that Romney will not get the black vote....not even 1%.
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »

ill take that bet...

and blacks dont have to vote for romney to effect obama, they simply have to not vote for him...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

Bush got 11% in 2004. Romney doesn't need to get the black vote. All he has to do is chip a few percentages away from Obama. And, thanks to Obama, finally admitting what we've known for years, Romney will do just that.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Quite proud of my president for speaking out on gay marriage today.

Hate can only win for so long. We've seen it time and time again in America.

You all know how this will eventually end.

But don't worry, all you super-tough bigots can still anonymously post your hatred on the internet and call people names.

I'm sure you'll keep your mouths shut IRL. 
G

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
Quite proud of my president for speaking out on gay marriage today.

Hate can only win for so long. We've seen it time and time again in America.

You all know how this will eventually end.

But don't worry, all you super-tough bigots can still anonymously post your hatred on the internet and call people names.

I'm sure you'll keep your mouths shut IRL. 

This isn't about hate or bigotry.  This is about Obama telling lies and flip flopping.  What, are you saying now that Obama hated gays until today?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
This isn't about hate or bigotry.  This is about Obama telling lies and flip flopping.  What, are you saying now that Obama hated gays until today?
Who made it a law that no one can ever change their position on something? You?

I hadn't even heard this term before Bush used it against Kerry in 2004.

Did Abraham Lincoln flip flop on slavery? I guess so, according to your criteria.

When a step is taken in the right direction, it should always be applauded.

Jesus Christ, is that really your stance on life in general? If you have an opinion at some point in your life, it cannot be changed for the rest of your life?

Do you see me going nuts that Romney "flip flopped" on his own healthcare plan? No, cause I could give a fuck less. If he feels that his opinion is somehow requiring of change, then so be it.
G

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »

Good question.  I didn't really hear Obama supporters calling him or Biden a bigot or gay-haters when they were lying about their support for traditional marriage. 

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »
Gay marriage will be a passing "fad."  It will NOT be a right in perpetuity.  In the US, many of those that label themselves as progressives(and most of them being white) are not having children and are wrapped up in their materialism and efforts to "save the planet."  They are being replaced by Catholic Central Americans moving here en masse(legally and illegally).....one should only look to California, the so-called liberal bastion of the US.....where it was forced to utilize a lone judge to override the overwhelming majority's wish to ban gay marriage.  In Europe, where Islam is growing in record numbers, liberalism will be forced out and likely violently.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Good question.  I didn't really hear Obama supporters calling him or Biden a bigot or gay-haters when they were lying about their support for traditional marriage. 
There is such a thing as political pragmatism.

Lincoln himself would never have been elected had he just boldly proclaimed he would end slavery before he was elected.

Does this mean that Lincoln was pro-slavery? Of course not.

It is a slow process to wear down backward thinking and hate. It must be done incrementally and almost always against the bigotry of righteous mythology.

Say what you like, but you know it's true.
G

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »
The Pres says that his thinking evolved.

Mitt Romney has said that his thinking on certain matters has evolved.

Romney's evolved thinking is referred to as flip-flops.

Did the Pres just flip-flop?

Please explain any difference.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
Gay marriage will be a passing "fad."  It will NOT be a right in perpetuity.  In the US, many of those that label themselves as progressives(and most of them being white) are not having children and are wrapped up in their materialism and efforts to "save the planet."  They are being replaced by Catholic Central Americans moving here en masse(legally and illegally).....one should only look to California, the so-called liberal bastion of the US.....where it was forced to utilize a lone judge to override the overwhelming majority's wish to ban gay marriage.  In Europe, where Islam is growing in record numbers, liberalism will be forced out and likely violently.
I couldn't disagree with you more, at least here in America.

Once a form of bigotry has been abolished in the US, the evil of it tends to resonate louder with each passing generation.

Slavery, for instance, is an unspeakable proposition to re-introduce at this point.

Jim Crow laws will never go back on the books, although George Wallace was able to become a national candidate not too long after the passing of the Civil Rights Act. Now there is no way a person like that could run. It's just completely unacceptable.
G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
yet another idiotic argument comparing gay rights to slavery....

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Comparing slavery and Jim Crow to today's gay marriage is just fucking stupid...there is no real comparison.  The pro gay-marriage people just like to link their arguments to a much more serious issue in an attempt to legitimize their concerns.  It's fucking OFFENSIVE to those that actually had to contend with those issues(yes, slavery is still very real in many parts of the world and within the crime of human trafficking).  In addition, most of the suckerpunches and stereotypical blanket statements are lobbed from the pro gay-marriage crowd such as calling those millions who attend church, temple, mosque, etc...and/or may disagree with their assessments as backwards, hayseed, inbred, ignorant, stupid, etc.....

How gay marriage went to the forefront of the issues the US currently faces is well beyond me.  Soaring deficits, inflation, environmental concerns, prison population, and military engagements are all much more pressing issues.  In addition, I'm a bit loath to equate what is considered to be the most financially well-off group in the United States(gays) being unable to legally marry to Jim Crow laws of the past.  Give.....me.....a....... fucking......break.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
Comparing slavery and Jim Crow to today's gay marriage is just fucking stupid...there is no real comparison.  The pro gay-marriage people just like to link their arguments to a much more serious issue in an attempt to legitimize their concerns.  It's fucking OFFENSIVE to those that actually had to contend with those issues(yes, slavery is still very real in many parts of the world and within the crime of human trafficking).  In addition, most of the suckerpunches and stereotypical blanket statements are lobbed from the pro gay-marriage crowd such as calling those millions who attend church, temple, mosque, etc...and/or may disagree with their assessments as backwards, hayseed, inbred, ignorant, stupid, etc.....

How gay marriage went to the forefront of the issues the US currently faces is well beyond me.  Soaring deficits, inflation, environmental concerns, prison population, and military engagements are all much more pressing issues.  In addition, I'm a bit loath to equate what is considered to be the most financially well-off group in the United States(gays) being unable to legally marry to Jim Crow laws of the past.  Give.....me.....a....... fucking......break.
Your racism is well-documented on here. I just saw another post where you made a bunch of stereotypical statements of black people, so it doesn't surprise me that you would try to distance the two. It's a neat little trick for your dissonance, but it doesn't work with me.

Rights are rights, and the fact is that some people are trying to deny them to others. Of course there are differences between the two, but, in essence, it is still about denying some people rights. So, try as you might, you cannot mask your bigotry. It may come within five years or twenty, but you already lost. This movement has the momentum of the nation behind, like it or not. Go visit some members from the next generation of voters and see what they have to say.

Anyway, I'm very happy with Obama's words today. About to go have a great workout with that in mind.
G

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
The Pres says that his thinking evolved.

Mitt Romney has said that his thinking on certain matters has evolved.

Romney's evolved thinking is referred to as flip-flops.

Did the Pres just flip-flop?

Please explain any difference.

Nope...it's always different when they do it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »
Obama: Teachings Of Jesus Christ Helped Change My Mind on Gay Marriage
weeklystandard.com ^ | May 9, 2012 | JOHN MCCORMACK
Posted on May 9, 2012 7:43:59 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

In 1996, Barack Obama supported gay marriage. In 2004, while running for Senate in Illinois, Obama was against it, he said, because of his religious faith. But in his big interview today, President Obama cited the teachings of Jesus Christ as a reason for his decision to support gay marriage:

Roberts asked the president if First Lady Michelle Obama was involved in this decision. Obama said she was, and he talked specifically about his own faith in responding.

“This is something that, you know, we’ve talked about over the years and she, you know, [the First Lady] feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated.

(Excerpt) Read more at weeklystandard.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
The debate over same sex “marriage” has engaged the heartfelt feelings and convictions of millions of Americans. Then there is Barack Obama.

In his ABC interview, the president pretended that his much touted “evolution” had now led him, ineluctably, to speak out now, today; he simply could longer stay silent. ABC let him off the hook, but this is not a credible account.  In March, the Washington Post was reporting the debate among his advisers on whether the issue would help or hurt the reelection campaign and what, therefore, Obama should say: “Obama’s top political advisers have held serious discussions with leading Democrats about the upsides and downsides of coming out for gay marriage before the fall election.”

The same advisers told the Post that Obama would make the decision based on his gut, but that is an insulting way to refer to the vice president.  There is no evidence that Obama planned to speak until Joe Biden said last weekend that he was for gay “marriage” and forced the issue.

In fact, Obama has not “evolved”—he has changed his position whenever his political fortunes required him to do so. Running for the Illinois state senate from a trendy area of Chicago in 1996, he was for gay marriage. “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages,” he wrote in answer to a questionnaire back then. In 2004, he was running for the U.S. Senate and needed to appeal to voters statewide. So he evolved, and favored civil unions but opposed homosexual “marriage.” In 2008, running for president, he said, “I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage.” Now in 2012, facing a tough reelection campaign where he needs energized supporters of gay “marriage” and has disappointed them with his refusal to give them his support, he is for it. To paraphrase John Kerry, he was for it before he was against it before he was for it again. 

Mr. Obama’s statement today is a marvel:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘don't ask, don't tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

The president, when he says, “at a certain point I’ve just concluded,” appears to refer to the point where Joe Biden smoked him out, unintentionally no doubt (as are most of Biden’s actions). And it is important “for me personally” to speak, the president says; this isn’t politics, you see, but some kind of testimony, a baring of the soul. 

But Mr. Obama actually did bare his soul unintentionally today (perhaps the Biden disease is catching) with his astonishing characterization of American fighting men and women, whom he referred to as “those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf.” Really?

Most Americans thought they were fighting for the country, not on Barack Obama’s behalf.  Slip of the tongue, to be sure, but can one think of another president who’d have made it?  They are fighting under his command, under his orders, to be sure, but this particular locution is offensive and solipsistic.  Mr. Obama has switched his position on the sanctity of marriage back and forth and has a new one, again, today, revealed when politics made that advisable to him and to his campaign.  Whether this is the end or he will “evolve” some more is anyone’s guess.

But let’s leave our soldiers out of this. They aren’t fighting for Mr. Obama and his campaign, and no one sent them out to risk their lives to win same sex “marriage.”

Subscribe now to The Weekly Standard!

Get more from The Weekly Standard: Follow WeeklyStandard.com on RSS and sign-up for our free Newsletter.

Copyright 2012 Weekly Standard LLC.

Source URL: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/my-behalf_644310.html

I so fucking hate this animal.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Obama: American Troops Are “Fighting On My Behalf”…
http://weaselzippers.us/2012/05/09/obama-american-troops-are-fighting-on-my-behalf/ ^
Posted on May 9, 2012 8:04:29 PM EDT by dewawi

Mr. Obama’s statement today is a marvel:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

(Excerpt) Read more at weaselzippers.us ...