Author Topic: Obama backs gay marriage  (Read 12818 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Obama backs gay marriage
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
There is such a thing as political pragmatism.

Lincoln himself would never have been elected had he just boldly proclaimed he would end slavery before he was elected.

Does this mean that Lincoln was pro-slavery? Of course not.

It is a slow process to wear down backward thinking and hate. It must be done incrementally and almost always against the bigotry of righteous mythology.

Say what you like, but you know it's true.

Hogwash.  The man lied.  He lied because he knew the majority of Americans support traditional marriage, that DOMA was a bipartisan law that overwhelmingly passed Congress, etc.  You can call it pragmatism all you want.  I call it exactly what it is:  a bald faced lie.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
Hogwash.  The man lied.  He lied because he knew the majority of Americans support traditional marriage, that DOMA was a bipartisan law that overwhelmingly passed Congress, etc.  You can call it pragmatism all you want.  I call it exactly what it is:  a bald faced lie.  

Obama is scamming gullible gays for campaign cash and little else.  Hey, it worked in 2008 no? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   Religion
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Obama the Theologian invokes Christ while endorsing unnatural sexual acts, same-sex “marriage”...
What Does The Prayer Really Say? ^ | 9 May 2012 | Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
Posted on May 9, 2012 8:31:57 PM EDT by markomalley

With the endorsement of the amendment for the State Constitution of North Carolina, I thought that the true “ground zero” for the same-sex debate would now be Minnesota.  It will also now be every ballot in every state in November.

From FNC:

President Obama on Wednesday endorsed same-sex marriages, becoming the first sitting U.S. president to take that position following days of speculation about his “evolving” stance on the issue.
The president used a hastily called TV interview to make his position clear.
“At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told ABC News.

[...]

BUT WAIT… THERE’s MORE.

In endorsing unnatural sex, Obama invoked Christ’s Sacrifice on the Cross.

“This is something that, you know, [Michelle and I have] talked about over the years and she, you know, she feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated…”

Christ’s Sacrifice?  The “Golden Rule”?

Christians understand that both are reflections of sacrificial love, charity, the former the ultimate example of the God man, the later human and earthly which echoes the former (cf. Luke 10:25-28).

Obama instrumentalized the Lord’s Sacrifice, the ultimate act of the love which is charity, to promote unnatural sex and the overturning of one of our most important societal bonds.

We, according to charity, must act for the true good of the other. It is not for the true good of another person to help them to sin or to undermine Christian morals.  But that is exactly what Obama is doing. This is an astounding example of both scandal and blasphemy.   It is beyond absurd to to invoke the Lord’s Sacrifice in an attempt to violate our human nature and God’s laws.

Obama invoked the Sacrifice of the Cross for the sake of justifying the destruction of the definition of “marriage”, as if that is “good” for people.  It is NOT for the good of anyone, because it promotes and condones a sin that cries to heaven.

We cannot wish that people sin.
We cannot help them sin.
We cannot tell them that sin is good.
We cannot give them the means to sin so that they will sin.
We cannot defend the sins of others.

In charity, we must treat people with the affliction of sex-sex attraction according to their God-given dignity.  In charity, we can NEVER condone their sinful acts.

It is the sin that we repudiate, not the people.

It can NEVER… NEVER be an act of Christian charity to call evil acts good, or to condone them, or to say that they are acceptable, or publicly to undermine morals that stem from our human nature.  It can NEVER… NEVER… be a matter of “Golden Rule”, which is rooted in the true sacrificial love which is charity, to promote a change in the definition of marriage so that “same-sex marriage” can be marriage’s equivalent in any way.

What the President did was vile.  Even though everyone knew that was his position, how vile to hear it framed in that way, publicly given voice.

He is an embarrassment to the United States.  He is actively tearing at one of society’s most important social bonds. What he did is harmful to our country and to every citizen of every age, even those of same-sex attractions.  It was NOT a reflection of either charity or the Golden Rule in any Christian sense.   The Golden Rule does NOT mean “you do what you want and I’ll do what I want”.

Pres. Obama MUST be voted out of office.

St. Augustine teaches about charity, about real love, in his commentaries on the First Letter of John.  Augustine describes three kinds of love.  He explains that the greatest way of earthly love is enemy love, true charity for those who wish you ill and harm you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »
Pelosi Statement on President Obama’s Support of Marriage Equality
democraticleader.gov ^
Posted on May 9, 2012 8:00:07 PM EDT by Sub-Driver

Pelosi Statement on President Obama’s Support of Marriage Equality May 09, 2012

Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement today after President Obama declared his support for marriage equality:

“Today marks progress for the civil rights of LGBT Americans and all Americans. With President Obama’s support, we look forward to the day when all American families are treated equally in the eyes of the law.

“Republicans are standing on the wrong side of history. Just yesterday, a Republican-backed amendment to ban same-sex marriage passed in North Carolina. Here in the House, Republican leaders refuse to bring up a bill to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act that includes critical domestic violence protections for the LGBT community, and they are using taxpayer funds to defend the indefensible Defense of Marriage Act in court. These actions only serve to advance fundamental unfairness in our society.

“Throughout American history, we have worked to live up to our values of liberty and freedom, and to end discrimination in all of its forms. Today, we took another step forward in our march toward equality.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
Evangelical pastor tells Obama he's disappointed [but supportive]
Atlanta Journal-Constitution ^ | 5/9/12 | Rachel Zoll
Posted on May 9, 2012 10:24:45 PM EDT by madprof98

The evangelical pastor who President Barack Obama calls his spiritual adviser says he's disappointed in the president's decision to endorse same-sex marriage.

The Rev. Joel Hunter of Florida told The Associated Press that Obama called him before ABC News broadcast the announcement Wednesday.

Hunter says he told the president he disagreed with his interpretation of what the Bible says about marriage. Hunter says the president reassured him he would protect the religious freedom of churches who oppose gay marriage.

Hunter says the announcement makes it harder for him to support Obama, but he will continue to do so

::)  ::)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »
Bush got 11% in 2004. Romney doesn't need to get the black vote. All he has to do is chip a few percentages away from Obama. And, thanks to Obama, finally admitting what we've known for years, Romney will do just that.

There was not a black president on the ballot in 2004....and Romney has made it crystal clear on how he feels about black people.  The only chance he may have is get Gladys Knights and the Pips to campaign for him.....after all they are Mormons themselves. ;D
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »

There was not a black president on the ballot in 2004....and Romney has made it crystal clear on how he feels about black people.  The only chance he may have is get Gladys Knights and the Pips to campaign for him.....after all they are Mormons themselves. ;D

Blacks are irrelevant as a voting block.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »

There was not a black president on the ballot in 2004....and Romney has made it crystal clear on how he feels about black people.  The only chance he may have is get Gladys Knights and the Pips to campaign for him.....after all they are Mormons themselves. ;D

There wasn't double-digit unemployment in 2004, either (as in what the unemployment rate ACTUALLY is, when Team Obama ain't fudging the numbers by not counting people).

In case you missed it, the GOP doesn't need black votes to win. Carter got nearly as much of the black vote (percentage-wise) as Obama; yet Reagan DESTROYED HIM in 1980. Obama needs every vote he can get; now, he's done the one thing that will cost him black voters. If he goes from 95% to 92% with the black vote, he's pretty much done.

His fundraising is WAAAAAY lower than expected; he's yapping to half-empty arenas; and he's tied or losing to the survivor of "the worst Republican field in American history" (who technically hasn't even won his primary yet, as Ron Paul insists on taking more beatings in the primaries).

Keep thinking Obama has this in the bag. But, as I've said repeatedly, don't bet your house on it (unless you have a cardboard box on standby).

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »

so what are we betting vincent?

how about a 100 posts with the winners words in the losers sig?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Your racism is well-documented on here. I just saw another post where you made a bunch of stereotypical statements of black people, so it doesn't surprise me that you would try to distance the two. It's a neat little trick for your dissonance, but it doesn't work with me.

Rights are rights, and the fact is that some people are trying to deny them to others. Of course there are differences between the two, but, in essence, it is still about denying some people rights. So, try as you might, you cannot mask your bigotry. It may come within five years or twenty, but you already lost. This movement has the momentum of the nation behind, like it or not. Go visit some members from the next generation of voters and see what they have to say.

Anyway, I'm very happy with Obama's words today. About to go have a great workout with that in mind.
to make a long story short, what industry leads that thinking?

education, as in collegiant education.

ask yourself another question, what area is in demand and will be so for the next decade at a minimum?

big private businesses...

which way to big private businesses lean?

it aint the side that thinks slavery is the same as gay rights...::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 03:14:16 AM »
Jesus Never Said Anything About Homosexuality [Obama Sez HE is smarter than Jesus, Moses, St. Paul]
Stand To Reason ^ | 2/9/12 | Alan Shlemon
Posted on May 10, 2012 5:19:06 AM EDT by SoFloFreeper

If you’ve ever said that homosexuality is a sin, there’s a good chance that someone tried to correct you with, “Jesus never said anything about homosexuality.” It doesn’t matter what Bible verse you believe bolsters your claim, they believe that Jesus’ silence on the matter trumps all other considerations. But there are a number of reasons why this objection doesn’t work.

First, it’s not certain that Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. The Gospel writers didn’t record everything that Jesus said – only what they thought was important to their audience. Indeed, most of what Jesus said (and did) was never written down. John 21:25 says, “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written.” It’s possible Jesus did talk about homosexuality, but the Gospel writers didn’t feel it was necessary to include it in their accounts.

Second, it’s clear what Jesus would say about homosexuality if asked. Jesus was an observant Jew who, like all Jews living under the Old Covenant, was bound by the Mosaic Law. That’s why He often referenced it (e.g. Jesus references the two greatest commandments in Matthew 22:37, 39). Therefore, if He was asked what He thought about homosexuality, He would have cited the Levitical prohibitions (Leviticus 18:20 and 20:13) that unequivocally state that homosexual behavior is a sin.

Third, Jesus did not speak about every immoral behavior. Should we infer that drunkenness, child sacrifice, and neglecting the elderly are appropriate since Jesus never said anything about them either? That’s absurd. Jesus addressed moral issues as they arose in conversation with His disciples and opponents. And even then, not every discussion was documented by the Gospel writers.

Fourth, the argument that Jesus never said anything about homosexuality presumes that the words of Jesus are more authoritative than the words of Scripture elsewhere. But it is the Holy Spirit – God Himself – who inspired all of the Bible, including epistles like Romans, 1 Corinthians, and 1 Timothy where homosexuality is addressed. Moreover, Jesus and the Holy Spirit co-exist in the Godhead and have been in perfect and eternal communion from eternity past. Therefore, we can be confident that Jesus agrees with what the Holy Spirit revealed about moral issues in the Bible.

Jesus’ scriptural silence on homosexuality is not relevant to the moral question. It seems like people are unwilling to accept what the Bible teaches when it conflicts with their own sensibilities.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
"But perhaps the president made the calculation that he was willing to risk the loss of a fraction of socially conservative swing voters in states like Ohio in order to guarantee the enthusiasm of his top fundraisers.(A Washington Post analysis found that almost 20 percent of Obama’s bundlers have publicly revealed that they are gay)."

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-marriage--obama-and-the-fierce-urgency-of-now--why-did-he-do-it-this-week-.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
"But perhaps the president made the calculation that he was willing to risk the loss of a fraction of socially conservative swing voters in states like Ohio in order to guarantee the enthusiasm of his top fundraisers.(A Washington Post analysis found that almost 20 percent of Obama’s bundlers have publicly revealed that they are gay)."

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-marriage--obama-and-the-fierce-urgency-of-now--why-did-he-do-it-this-week-.html

bingo - its all about money for gaybama.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
ABC's Robin Roberts On Interviewing Obama: "I'm Getting Chills Again"

"Whatever people think about this issue, we know it's controversial, there's no denying when a president speaks out for the first time like that, it is history," co-host of ABC's "Good Morning America" George Stephanopoulos said to Robin Roberts.

And let me tell you, George, I'm getting chills again," "Good Morning America" co-host Robin Roberts said about her interview with Obama.

"When you sit in that room and you hear him say those historic words. It was not lost on anyone in there right there. You never know what he's going to say until you ask him," she added.

________________________ _________

For God's sake!!!!   WTF is wrong w these turds in the media? 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
She gets chills; Matthews gets thrills.

What's next? A left-winged media type busting a nut on live TV?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
"I believe marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it’s also a sacred union." Barack Obama, 2008.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »
Democratic sources: Obama aides annoyed with Biden
 CNN ^

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:17:18 PM by Sub-Driver

Democratic sources: Obama aides annoyed with Biden Posted by CNN Chief White House Correspondent Jessica Yellin

Washington (CNN) - Multiple top Democrats said Thursday the president's senior aides are deeply annoyed with Vice President Joe Biden for forcing the conversation on same-sex marriage.

One source said Biden has, in the past, counseled the president against announcing support for same-sex marriage - making the circumstances that much more frustrating.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Biden made comments supporting such unions during an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press" that aired Sunday, seemingly forcing the issue to the forefront of public debate.

Another source said the recent events gave renewed life to old jokes and flippant remarks like, "Hello? Does he know this is the Obama presidency not the Biden presidency?"

None of these sources said they believed it would create a lasting rift between the West Wing and the vice president's office – because Biden has gone off script before and will do it again.

The president's team said they were aware of the risk when they tapped Biden for the ticket. One source added that the president has a close personal relationship with the former senator and that trumps his advisers' frustrations. But there is a great deal of interest in keeping the vice president "on script."

(Excerpt) Read more at politicalticker.blogs.cn n.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
Obama's seven states of gay marriage grief
By: Charles Mahtesian
May 10, 2012 04:45 AM EDT

If there’s been one constant over the course of President Barack Obama’s evolution on gay marriage, it’s this: The White House’s keen awareness of the radioactive politics of the issue.

Obama aides fretted that delay would dent his new-breed brand, and likewise that plunging in could weigh him down in battleground states. They even hatched a plan to announce his support just prior to the Democratic National Convention — a characteristically all-in-good-time solution that acknowledged the minefield he was walking through.

And the White House is right to be concerned.

No doubt, Obama gets some political pluses out of supporting same-sex marriage Wednesday — energizing LGBT voters and donors, adding a new line to his Mitt Romney’s-a-throwback brief, kick-starting college turnout or in simply reminding people that yes, he came to Washington to do big things.

But for all the polls showing movement toward greater public acceptance of gay marriage, for all the signs of increased tolerance and changing mores, there’s one undeniable fact: A full embrace of gay rights has never been a winner in the political arena.

(See also: 20 gay rights milestones)

Fifteen years of ballot measures in more than 30 states from coast-to-coast show an issue that has been rejected nearly every time it’s gone before the voters — often by large margins.

Here are seven states where Obama just bought himself headaches with his historic decision to back gay marriage:

North Carolina

A political rule of thumb: You don’t want to be on the wrong side of an issue supported by 6-in-10 voters. But that’s where the president is in North Carolina, where a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage passed Tuesday by 61 percent to 39 percent. Just seven of the state’s 100 counties opposed the ballot measure.

North Carolina is no ordinary state. In 2012, it occupies a central location in the political universe — it’s not only a key swing state, it’s the place that will host the Democratic National Convention this summer. Obama won it in 2008, arguably his biggest reach on Election Night, and hoped accepting his re-nomination there would keep it in his column.

But the state was a pretty shaky proposition for Obama this year already, and it just got shakier. After the constitutional amendment — and the backlash against it from gay rights activists — the Democratic National Convention Committee was forced Wednesday to confirm that the convention would remain in Charlotte. That’s not the convention messaging that Democrats are looking for this year.

Florida

One day, gay marriage might be enshrined in law across the map. But it won’t be until after the current generation of senior citizens passes away. Not only do they oppose it by lopsided margins, they also vote in disproportionately high percentages.

Consider this fact about Florida, a state with an unusually large population of seniors. Four years ago, Obama and an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment shared the Florida ballot. Obama won the state narrowly, the amendment won by a landslide.

And the amendment won 600,000 more votes than Obama.

The president can still win reelection without Florida’s treasure trove of electoral votes. But he’d prefer not to risk it, which could be the side effect of a public affirmation of support for gay marriage in a state as competitive as Florida.

Colorado

The new capital of evangelicalism? No, it’s not in the South. It’s Colorado Springs, according to Christianity Today magazine, which once described the city as having “more megachurches, megaseminaries, and mega-Christian activity than any other American city.”

After Denver, Colorado Springs is the largest city in the most important state in the Mountain West — the city is bigger than Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Gay marriage is an issue that resonates there among Christian conservatives and it’s the kind of issue that can get evangelical voters very enthusiastic about the prospect of voting for Romney.

The evidence of that came in 2006, when Colorado voters passed an amendment to outlaw gay marriage — a measure strongly supported by the Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family. While the state voted in favor of the constitutional amendment, 55 percent to 45 percent, in Colorado Springs’ El Paso County the numbers were far greater — 66 percent voted for the measure. More pro-amendment votes were cast there than in any other county in the state.

Colorado is the kind of place that helps Team Obama sleep a little more soundly at night because it’s a hedge in case Florida flips back Republican, or Ohio or Virginia drifts back to red. Any leg up for Romney there would be bad news back in Chicago.

Nevada

Utah may be the LDS heartland but Nevada ranks among the top five states in terms of percentage of Mormon population. And the LDS church opposes gay marriage.

While Mormons aren’t a significant Democratic constituency — and especially not with Romney in the race — it’s best not to antagonize any constituency in a swing state like Nevada, where the presidential outcome in 2000 and 2004 was decided by less than 25,000 votes.

“Overall in Nevada, it hurts. To what degree is hard to determine,” said Pete Ernaut, a former GOP state legislator and a confidant of Gov. Brian Sandoval. “The issue here is about a tossup, with voters about evenly split. But that said, there are key constituencies affected by this, most notably Mormon voters — and specifically Democratic Mormon voters — and that is going to be a difficult issue for the president.”

Iowa

In 2009, the Iowa Supreme Court made history with its unanimous decision to allow same-sex marriage.

One year later, Iowa voters made history again by ousting three of the justices who handed down that ruling.

The backlash was as extreme as it sounds: their removal from the high court was the first time an Iowa Supreme Court justice wasn’t retained in nearly a half-century.

And the issue echoed through the 2010 governor’s race as well. Republican Terry Branstad argued that the court was wrong to strike down the state law banning same-sex marriage and advocated a constitutional amendment to re-institute the ban. His Democratic opponent, Gov. Chet Culver, disagreed on the idea of putting the court decision to a vote.

Culver lost his reelection bid, though not solely because of his position on same-sex marriage. Still, it didn’t help him, and that’s the risk Obama takes there. Obama and Iowa go way back — he’s president today because he dealt Hillary Clinton a third-place finish there in the 2008 caucuses — but it’s a state where just 1 percentage point divided the presidential nominees in 2000 and 2004.

Missouri

There are many Democrats who already concede Missouri is a lost cause for Obama in 2012, even though he only lost to John McCain there by a razor-close margin in 2008.

Wednesday’s announcement only makes the situation worse. In a state where there’s no room for error, the president has taken a position that places him at odds with 71 percent of the state — at least that’s the percentage that voted to ban gay marriage when it was on the ballot in 2004.

There’s a very good chance that number has eroded since then. But not enough for it to be an asset, in a state where Obama’s strength in St. Louis, Kansas City and some surrounding suburbs is counterbalanced by the parts of the state that sit squarely in the Bible Belt.

Ohio

It’s often said that the 2004 gay marriage initiative that passed in Ohio played a key role in lifting George W. Bush to victory over John Kerry. Whether that’s true or not — Bush strategist Matthew Dowd argued Wednesday that it’s not — it’s an issue that resonates outside of Democratic vote centers like Columbus and Cleveland.

In 2004, here’s how state GOP Chairman Robert Bennett framed it to The New York Times. “I’d be naive if I didn’t say it helped,” he said. “And it helped most in what we refer to as the Bible Belt area of southeastern and southwestern Ohio, where we had the largest percentage increase in support for the president.”

Recent polls continue to show that a majority in Ohio oppose gay marriage, compared with only about one-third of voters who support it. And, as POLITICO reported Wednesday, when Vice President Joe Biden privately argued for the president to refrain from expressing his support, he flagged two states where there could be a backlash — his native Pennsylvania and Ohio.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misidentified former Iowa Gov. Chet Culver.

© 2012 POLITICO LLC

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
Democrats Having Second Thoughts About Charlotte

By George E. Condon Jr.

May 10, 2012 | 1:00 PM

Democrats who already were queasy about the site of their national convention could be excused after Tuesday's election in North Carolina if they asked, "Tell me again just why we're going to Charlotte this year?" In fact, many Democrats privately are asking exactly that after the state's voters overwhelmingly approved a measure outlawing not just same-sex marriage -- which already was illegal in North Carolina -- but also any form of civil unions. Almost immediately after the vote, more than 20,000 people signed a "move the convention" petition being pushed by a New York group called Gay Marriage USA. And Twitter accounts lit up with hundreds of angry tweets demanding the party pull out of Charlotte.

(RELATED: Obama's Risky Gay Marriage Gamble)

And it's not as if things were going swimmingly for convention organizers before Tuesday's vote. Fundraising was lagging with the Democrats' decision not to accept money from corporations, making it much more difficult to reach the needed $36.6 million. That led to more pressure on labor unions to pony up. But they would rather spend their money on grassroots efforts and are still miffed that the party decided to go to a "right to work" state and a city with few unionized hotels.

(RELATED: Where Democratic Senate Candidates Stand on Gay Marriage)

You can add to the mix an unpopular Democratic governor who has decided not to run for another term, likely handing the statehouse to the Republicans. And don't forget a messy sexual harassment scandal that has forced the state Democratic Party's executive director to resign and left the party chairman with no choice but to step down with a new chairman slated to be elected on Saturday.

(RELATED: Romney Apologizes for Hurtful High School Pranks)

And, oh yes, there is the fact that President Obama will be accepting his nomination with a speech at the unfortunately named Bank of America Stadium, an occasion that will lead to a run of stories about the $45 billion that the banking powerhouse received in the unpopular TARP bailout. And there will be mentions of the bank's inclusion on the list of mortgage companies where staffers signed foreclosure documents without verifying the information on them.

What's not to love about a Charlotte convention? When the city beat out the other finalists -- Cleveland, Minneapolis and St. Louis -- it used the slogan "Charlotte in 2012: Reaching for Tomorrow." The challenge for Democrats now is to try to forget a pretty messy Today.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
Obama Still Has Not Signed 'Nondiscrimination Executive Order'

12:00 PM, May 10, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

President Obama made what's being heralded as a big announcement on same sex marriage. "I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," Obama told ABC News in an interview broadcast this morning. Obama's the first sitting president to come out in favor of same sex marriage.

But what this might actually mean in terms of policy is a little murkier. Perhaps most pressing is the issue of a so-called "nondiscrimination executive order" that gay-rights groups have been pushing. The president has refused—and continues to refuse—to sign it.

"The order, which has been drafted for months awaiting the president’s signature, would prohibit discrimination by federal contractors on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity," the Washington Post reported. "It has become a major focus for gay-rights groups, but in recent weeks activists began to worry that the White House might opt against approval."

Obama's announcement today gives no indication that he's changed his mind on this issue.

Before today's announcement, according to the Post, the president's idleness on the issue had been considered a "stinging setback for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender movement, a key piece of Obama’s political base that had scored major victories from this White House — namely the repeal of the military’s Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy, and the administration’s reversal of its position on whether to defend the federal Defense of Marriage Act." Those victories "were widely viewed as having triggered an outpouring of financial support from gay donors for Obama’s reelection campaign."

Moreover, "Activists have been portraying the White House decision as a broken promise. They point to a report last month by the gay news site Metro Weekly that, as a candidate in 2008, Obama told a Houston advocacy group that he would support a non-discrimination policy for federal contractors."

Again, today's announcement does not suggest that Obama will now sign that executive order.

This is not the only policy issue that Obama has steered clear of. Already Obama has indicated that while he believes "same sex couples should be able to get married," he also believes states should be able to ban gay marriages. This is particularly pertinent in light of Tuesday's vote in North Carolina to ban same sex marriage. The ban overwhelmingly passed.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »
so what are we betting vincent?

how about a 100 posts with the winners words in the losers sig?

You got yourself a deal.  If you lose, your signature has to read that I fucked you in the ass like an episode of OZ on HBO
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Pelosi Says Her Catholic Faith “Compels” Her To Support Same-Sex Marriage…

Even though it violates Church teachings?

(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that her Catholic faith “compels” her to “be against discrimination of any kind” and thus for same-sex marriage.

A reporter asked Pelosi: “Many of the people that are opposed to gay marriage cite their religion as the reason why they’re opposed. You’re a Catholic that supports gay marriage. Do you believe that religion and the idea that you can support gay marriage can be separated? And how do you grapple with the idea that you support gay marriage as a Catholic?”

Pelosi responded: “My religion has, compels me–and I love it for it–to be against discrimination of any kind in our country, and I consider this a form of discrimination. I think it’s unconstitutional on top of that. ”

Keep reading…

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
May 10, 2012
Obama's politics of distraction
Steve McCann

While Europe is inching ever closer to plunging into a financial abyss, there are moments of comic relief provided by the current President of the United States.  He has not only become the butt of innumerable jokes but his re-election campaign tactics are the stuff of low-brow comedy. A case in point, his recent "evolution" in to supporting gay marriage.

Today Tim Stanley of the U.K. Telegraph writes:

The day after North Carolina voted 60-40 to ban gay marriage, Barack Obama did what any sane politician would do...endorse gay marriage.  He told ABC that he felt compelled to by the gay interns he knew, his wife, his children and Jesus.  Why did he do it?  Sheer, naked opportunism.  Like the contraception issue before it, this is an attempt to distract from how bad the economy is.  What will Obama do next in his desperate bid for re-election?  Make a claim on the Falklands?

It is unlikely that Obama is taking a principled stand for civil rights.  In 1996, he said he was for gay marriage.  In 2004, when he was running for the Senate, he said that Jesus told him it was wrong (Jesus apparently, changes his mind almost as often as the Prez).  In 2008, he repeated that gay marriage was a step too far.  Then I he started to "evolve" and, like the caterpillar, he turned into a beautiful pink butterfly.

Also, Mitt's reputation for flip-flopping is no longer a problem.  Obama just flipped right over his head, did a 180 in the air, and landed on his backside on the other side of the political compass.  Flopping is a dead issue in 2012.

There is little doubt that the geniuses in the Obama re-election campaign are hoping that this tactic will reach the same level of distraction that the so-called "war on women" achieved while enabling them to pull in millions of dollars from the gay and Hollywood crowd whose only interest is their unfettered lifestyle.

However, this is not a matter of who pays for contraceptives; it strikes to the very heart of society.   Virtually every time the issue has been brought up to a popular vote the gay marriage propositions have been defeated -- in 32 states. 

With this and his other many cynical tactics combined with an economy that will get worse as the year goes on, Mr. Obama has assured his defeat in November.  All the Republicans need do is ignore this sudden transformation, reiterate their support for heterosexual marriage and then allow and rely upon the average voters in the various states to ban gay marriage.  All the while Mitt Romney and all other Republican candidates must focus entirely on Obama's appalling economic record.

As for those on the left ecstatic about this endorsement, Tim Stanley cautions:

As for gay rights campaigners, I hope they won't be fooled by this empty, cynical gesture.  Why did Obama wait until after the North Carolina vote to back gay marriage?

Cowardice, perhaps?  Ladies and gentlemen, Obama is a politician.  He'll take your money and your votes and give you nothing in return.  At least Mitt Romney might cut your taxes.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/05/obamas_politics_of_distraction.html#ixzz1uVVR3aDn

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »

You got yourself a deal.  If you lose, your signature has to read that I fucked you in the ass like an episode of OZ on HBO
hahahah deal, Ill come up with a good sig for you when I win.