Author Topic: Have you been ignoring your white Privilege today?  (Read 14274 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Have you been ignoring your white Privilege today?
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »

Maybe if you pull your pants up, drop the gold grill in your mouth, twist your hat straight, stop dealing, and stop jacking old ladies on the 4 - things will change?

That's the first thing that came to mind when Tu said being followed.  Usually, Monday thru Friday, I'm in a coat & tie.  If I walked into a store with my pants half way down my ass, bandana with a knot in the front, big baggy T-shirt.....they might just follow me.

But Tu's got a point about the oppression.  Older black people who had to read signs saying "white only" can truly claim oppression.  People our age, not so much.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »

That's the first thing that came to mind when Tu said being followed.  Usually, Monday thru Friday, I'm in a coat & tie.  If I walked into a store with my pants half way down my ass, bandana with a knot in the front, big baggy T-shirt.....they might just follow me.

But Tu's got a point about the oppression.  Older black people who had to read signs saying "white only" can truly claim oppression.  People our age, not so much.

Most older black folk I know are people of respect and dignity.   Thr young thugs are just all around pos

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »

Not every Black person walks around with his pants half way down his ass, wearing a bandana with a knot in the front, and a big baggy T-shirt.

I dunno... when Mayor Dinkins (then mayor of NYC) is unable to catch a cab... something is very wrong.

It's all relative. I'm sure people in 1950's were saying "Today's Blacks have it real good. They can march and the worse that'll happen is they get police dogs & water cannons unleashed on them... back in my day, they'd pull out a noose if I even thought about marching or protesting."
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
This is not too accurate but I do see your point

What is not accurate about it?

Have you been oppressed?

How?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Most older black folk I know are people of respect and dignity.   Thr young thugs are just all around pos

The operative words being "young thugs". Stop hanging out with thugs, and start associating with people of respect & dignity. They can be found in all age categories.
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Andre has been depressed, oppressed, repressed, and supressed - know what im saying?   ;D

Don't forget that he has been pissed on, as well.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »
Not every Black person walks around with his pants half way down his ass, wearing a bandana with a knot in the front, and a big baggy T-shirt.

I dunno... when Mayor Dinkins (then mayor of NYC) is unable to catch a cab... something is very wrong.

It's all relative. I'm sure people in 1950's were saying "Today's Blacks have it real good. They can march and the worse that'll happen is they get police dogs & water cannons unleashed on them... back in my day, they'd pull out a noose if I even thought about marching or protesting."

I didn't say they did.  Maybe that's the issue.  You're so busy being defensive and worrying that someone is slighting you, that you think some special privilege exists.

If a black man or women was wearing coat and tie or business attire, I wouldn't expect they would be following him/her around the store.  Anybody, regardless of race, dressed like a gang banger might just be followed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »

Dinkins was a DISASTER!!!!  I lkive here.    He was a DISASTER

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »

I didn't say they did.  Maybe that's the issue.  You're so busy being defensive and worrying that someone is slighting you, that you think some special privilege exists.

If a black man or women was wearing coat and tie or business attire, I wouldn't expect they would be following him/her around the store.  Anybody, regardless of race, dressed like a gang banger might just be followed.

Sorry, man.

Black guys get followed.

A few months ago I was at Best Buy with the kids and not one person tried waiting on us. I got annoyed and told the oldest girl "I bet someone will come to help us if I pick up a computer". Their computers are tethered but within 10 seconds of picking one up someone came over to help, despite being ignored with three kids the whole time.

At least 5 people on this site have personally met me. They'll say I don't dress ghetto and am generally what would be considered well-educated.

Things are what things are. That's not the first time I've been followed and it won't be the last. The important thing is to not let situations or some random assclown be empowered to determine what kind of day you're going to have. :)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »

I'm not being defensive. I'm simply refusing to be dismissive of your comments.

What you would or wouldn't expect is irrelevant. Your white skin priviledge makes it irrelevant.
Ask Oprah Winfrey about being followed around in a jewelry store, ...that is... if the racist POS store clerk will even buzz her in.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Dinkins was a DISASTER!!!!  I lkive here.    He was a DISASTER

Disaster or not, he was a Black man who dressed in expensive suits & ties, ...but still couldn't catch a cab.

mayor of the frikkin' city, and can't catch a cab?!!!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
Sorry, man.

Black guys get followed.

A few months ago I was at Best Buy with the kids and not one person tried waiting on us. I got annoyed and told the oldest girl "I bet someone will come to help us if I pick up a computer". Their computers are tethered but within 10 seconds of picking one up someone came over to help, despite being ignored with three kids the whole time.

At least 5 people on this site have personally met me. They'll say I don't dress ghetto and am generally what would be considered well-educated.

Things are what things are. That's not the first time I've been followed and it won't be the last. The important thing is to not let situations or some random assclown be empowered to determine what kind of day you're going to have. :)

^^^^ This!
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
There are privileges for every race black included...

why dont you whiney bitches quit worrying about race and live your fuking lives

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »

What are the privileges to being Black? ...besides usually getting picked first for the basketball team?
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
What are the privileges to being Black? ...besides usually getting picked first for the basketball team?
affirmative action, scholarships for blacks

being able to be racist and not get called on it, playing the race card....

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »
affirmative action, scholarships for blacks

being able to be racist and not get called on it, playing the race card....

Seems to me to be plenty of equal opportunity as far as that goes.
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:19 AM »

Bigger penis, higher bone density, and almost always the coolest person in any situation. :)

We can freely say the N-word and all its variations.

I don't know nuthin' 'bout affirmative action and haven't benefited from it. It someone tried giving me extra money or a better job just for being black I'd take it. Everyone gets some kind of hookup for a reason like friends, family, or simply the boss feeling more comfortable because you look like they do. I think affirmative action is crap but it's been in place for the majority a long time.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2013, 04:48:09 AM »
No whites or Asians are getting into Harvard or any other elite university on 1200 SAT scores.  :)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:51 AM »
Your white skin priviledge makes it irrelevant.
Pretty sure skip is black.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2013, 05:37:01 AM »
What is not accurate about it?

Have you been oppressed?

How?

if I told you, you wouldn't agree with it anyway so why bother

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2013, 05:37:57 AM »
Don't forget that he has been pissed on, as well.

unlike you Ive been pissed on by women, not men

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2013, 05:40:28 AM »

this is why you won't ever understand true racism......the fact of the matter is blacks who look like this DO suffer discrimination anyway......in housing, jobs, just getting a taxi....being stopped in stores.....look at Forrest Whitaker, a world famous actor being stopped on suspicion of shoplifting

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2013, 05:42:20 AM »
Sorry, man.

Black guys get followed.

I agree with your post...but I don't know what is more disturbing....you being ignored because your black or you actually meeting people from this site ;)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2013, 05:44:28 AM »

actually blacks don't really worry about it..it is what it is..we know we can deal with it...but to talk about it is not being "whiney" as you put it....

my my our panties are in a bunch today

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2013, 05:46:55 AM »
I'm not being defensive. I'm simply refusing to be dismissive of your comments.

What you would or wouldn't expect is irrelevant. Your white skin priviledge makes it irrelevant.
Ask Oprah Winfrey about being followed around in a jewelry store, ...that is... if the racist POS store clerk will even buzz her in.

true story.....good job