Author Topic: Why do people work 16 hours a day and prioritize money over happiness.  (Read 13710 times)

NickEdge779

• Getbig III
You see these young men working on wall street in NYC and shit working 12 hours a day and commuting 2 hours each way from NJ. So essentially a 16 hour day, just so they can be rich. What is it worth? I'd rather be poor doing what the hell I want with my life rather than making a shit ton of money I don't even have time to spend and working as someone's slave.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
many times the things you'd love to do cost a tonn of money

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
You see these young men working on wall street in NYC and shit working 12 hours a day and commuting 2 hours each way from NJ. So essentially a 16 hour day, just so they can be rich. What is it worth? I'd rather be poor doing what the hell I want with my life rather than making a shit ton of money I don't even have time to spend and working as someone's slave.

I've always felt that "Money can't buy happiness" is total BS, probably made up by a woman or an overly-idealistic poor person.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
money makes you happy

if you know how to use them  :)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
I've always felt that "Money can't buy happiness" is total BS, probably made up by a woman or an overly-idealistic poor person.

Tell that to Robin Williams and Kurt Cobain or the famous newsreporter who slammed his car into the wall a few weeks ago.

Listen, let me tell you the REAL deal, broskie. Here goes:

If you're only problem in life is financial burdens, then, yes, of course money is going to buy happiness. Furthermore, I agree that having more money may make someone more happy.

However, if you're riddled with a host of other problems, that money cannot fix, then, all of the money in the world will not make you a happy person. It may assuage some of the negative feelings, but you probably wont be as happy as you want to be.

Holding all extraneous variables constant, yes, money can buy happiness. But, in life, its often the extraneous variables that lead to sadness, and some of these things cannot be fixed with money. In the end, its really contextual. So, it really all comes down to many factors. I mean, Robin Williams was diagnosed with an incurable disease, then wound up killing himself. Money couldn't cure his disease.
X

kofo

• Getbig II
People that work a lot have no time to develop interests and hobbies not work related. Often you hear "successfull" people say they never want to retire because they love to work.
I would rather travel the country in a Westfalia for months at a time than working 16 h day just to commute in a Mercedes.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
At least once a day one of these threads is transmitted from some Getbigger living under an I95 overpass.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving

materialism is a big part of American culture. People believe that they will be bigger with a Bentley and a yacht. When they finally get there, most get disappointed.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
"Everybody wanna be happy, but don't nobody wanna exercise arete" -- Aristotle (Arrie) Coleman

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Why do people work 16 hours a day and prioritize money over happiness.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
"Everybody wanna be happy, but don't nobody wanna exercise arete" -- Aristotle (Arrie) Coleman

LMAO!!  ;D ;D
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »

It is total BS.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »

You can't do what you want in life without money or having to worry about money to make ends meet. I'm not talking about being "rich" (define rich)

blackpele

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
In my opinion money do not buy happiness but they definetely help, however a complete lack of money will most probably bring misery in your life.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
In my opinion money do not buy happiness but they definetely help, however a complete lack of money will most probably bring misery in your life.

Exactly. You don't need to be filthy rich to be happy, but you definitely need enough money to pay the bills and enjoy extra, if you choose to. Obviously, nothing wrong with being rich, but not a necessity. On the other hand, being poor will lead to a difficult life.
X

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »
many times the things you'd love to do cost a tonn of money
life cost money, bitches cost money, family cost money, etc,
A

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »
A local news channel ran a story about a guy in his early 40's who worked as an Engineer for an oil & gas company here in Alberta, and was laid off last year due to the collapse in oil & gas prices.  You would think a person making over $100k/year would save some money for his future, but unfortunately for him, that wasn't the case.  When his severance benefits ended and he no income to pay the bills, he lost his home.  His Wife then left with the kids, and he had to swallow his pride and move back in with his parents, who are in their 70's.  

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »
It's called having goals and not being a lazy c unt to reach them.

Not everyone was raised to be a princess and expect everything to fall at their feet.

Simple Simon

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »
You can't do what you want in life without money or having to worry about money to make ends meet. I'm not talking about being "rich" (define rich)
what if what you want to do doesn't require money?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »
Tell that to Robin Williams and Kurt Cobain or the famous newsreporter who slammed his car into the wall a few weeks ago.

Listen, let me tell you the REAL deal, broskie. Here goes:

If you're only problem in life is financial burdens, then, yes, of course money is going to buy happiness. Furthermore, I agree that having more money may make someone more happy.

However, if you're riddled with a host of other problems, that money cannot fix, then, all of the money in the world will not make you a happy person. It may assuage some of the negative feelings, but you probably wont be as happy as you want to be.

Holding all extraneous variables constant, yes, money can buy happiness. But, in life, its often the extraneous variables that lead to sadness, and some of these things cannot be fixed with money. In the end, its really contextual. So, it really all comes down to many factors. I mean, Robin Williams was diagnosed with an incurable disease, then wound up killing himself. Money couldn't cure his disease.

I don't take kindly to disrespect. not on the internet, not in person, not in a grocery store parking lot, not in like at walmart, not in a restaurant, not at the beach, not at the dry cleaners... anywhere.

ppl talk about the 'pussyfication' of America, yet they run their mouths thinking they won't get slapped and get their arm broken in front of their friends.

spent many yrs in a place where if you talk slick and say something out of line to somebody, you know that when you say it, you better be ready for what happens. most ppl here in the 'real world', aren't ready for what could happen.. and run their mouths like the world is a make believe cartoon. despite wearing nice slacks, polished shoes and a nice shirt, the guy you steal that parking spot from at the grocery store and proceed to flip off, may have just gotten out of prison and will have no problem identifying they bitch in you and proceed to teach you a lesson by taking you down to the ground and kicking out your teeth before you even know what happened.

the guy who's willing to go the furthest, wins. if you're not willing to go all the way, it's best you keep your mouth shut and move on, and make it to the next day.

Simple Simon

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
I don't take kindly to disrespect. not on the internet, not in person, not in a grocery store parking lot, not in like at walmart, not in a restaurant, not at the beach, not at the dry cleaners... anywhere.

ppl talk about the 'pussyfication' of America, yet they run their mouths thinking they won't get slapped and get their arm broken in front of their friends.

spent many yrs in a place where if you talk slick and say something out of line to somebody, you know that when you say it, you better be ready for what happens. most ppl here in the 'real world', aren't ready for what could happen.. and run their mouths like the world is a make believe cartoon. despite wearing nice slacks, polished shoes and a nice shirt, the guy you steal that parking spot from at the grocery store and proceed to flip off, may have just gotten out of prison and will have no problem identifying they bitch in you and proceed to teach you a lesson by taking you down to the ground and kicking out your teeth before you even know what happened.

the guy who's willing to go the furthest, wins. if you're not willing to go all the way, it's best you keep your mouth shut and move on, and make it to the next day.
never gets old.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
what if what you want to do doesn't require money?

Everything requires money.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
If I never had kids I'd go back to being self employed and only work one job a month or ever six weeks, never felt the need to live lavish or have hobbies that cost a ton of money, as long as bills are paid and food on the table id not give a fuck and would take plenty time off and just train, potter around in the garage ect

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »

What if you could do this for three years and retire to do what ever you want for the rest of your life. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 02:36:27 PM »

Yeah, but when the retire in their late 40s and 50s, they can do anything they fucking want.

Young people view those ages as limited, but they're far from it.
Y