Author Topic: 5 days out first NPC show Advice?  (Read 45613 times)

POB

• Getbig IV
Re: 5 days out first NPC show Advice?
« Reply #325 on: August 11, 2021, 09:35:21 AM »
knowing his luck the "S" will fall off before he goes onstage..

Lol what bad luck with a name I’m sure that’s happened. It’s like Eric dickersons nic name E_D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Yeah well I am stealing Wes song 2001 space odyessey. The real issue is getting rid of my belly the next 2 days. I am 2 days out with no abs and still bloated. I have digestive issues so basically bloated with gas need to bring it down or that is what I thought my old super metabolism hasn't leaned me out yet. Despite only eating 3 meals yesterday. May to have to actually eat less for a day or 2. Considering takign some metamucil to clear out the guts don't want to take a laxative as I already get like diarea and bloating but need to empty also have some petpo and some imidium or somethign I got from cvs. Not going to lose much fat at this poiunt but If I could at least flatten the belly that would be a start

When I experience "gassy bloat" I go into a crowded store and release a booming loud blast ( FART!) :o
Not really LOL, but I hope you chuckled a bit and relaxed.

If you take a bunch of laxatives, you'll only feel weak and look flat with possible cramping when you try to flex/pose at the show.
REMEMBER, you're not competing in a pro show or even a national level contest.
Yes, it's likely a few impressive freaks and some small shredded guys will compete.
BUT, you have mass and decent muscularity , so you'll be fine. You might do BETTER then you think?  ;)

Do NOT, do NOT, do NOT do any crazy peaking routines or water/salt manipulations, etc.
1. today do a light wt pumping workout on your back , biceps and abs
on wed , do a light pumping work out on your chest, delts and tris      ( no leg work, just flex 'em often)

Starting today spend 30 min each day doing the basic poses and hold each for 15 sec in a mirror.
front: lat spread, dbl bi, side tri, side chest     Back - lat spread, dbl bi ( flex calf/hams)
overhead ab and quad flex and do a 10 sec most muscular. Hold the final position for 10-15 sec and stay "rock still" .
Please don't squirm around looking for the perfect position and light. The judges hate that. Hit the pose, hold and don't move.

For the finals just do some slow , basic poses and try to keep in time with the music.
Don't get too concerned with the finals routine as it doesn't count. Repeat , it doesn't affect your place in the class.

On thurs night start putting on the 1st 2 coats of bronzer and you're DONE showering. * it can wash off or streak
On friday morning , put on a 3rd and maybe 4th coat.
After the friday meeting put on a quick last coat and have your gf apply it to your back every time.

IF you're planning on using the tan airbursh service available at some shows, you better make an appt ..."yesterday" or they may be all booked up. I'd advise you to use Pam  cooking oil spray for posing instead of baby oil.

Wear sweats and bring a couple towels to pump up. Take your time and do pushups, and free hand movements to get blood into areas you want to pump. Take your time and flex a lot to enhance to pump. Don't be the last guy to strip down and apply oil.
The show is won on the stage and backstage is just to get ready . Try to be friendly and offer to pump up with other guys in your class.

Have fun and be a good sport regardless of how you feel about your place or the judges , etc.

Lastly take a lot of pics and take a few minutes to take in the whole contest experience.
Unless you're a pro, doing it for money and career, this is all about what YOU get out of competing.

Now, relax and get ready  one step at a time!

PS/ No word yet from my wife's friends. Last time she talked to her, they were thinking of staying in their beach hotel until saturday morning and then leaving. If that happens, we won't be able to come to the contest.

Having said that, I'd actually like to go and see this. It's not that far a drive. But "life" can get in the way of our fun sometimes.
I know YOU understand that .   Good luck and kick ass !

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #327 on: August 11, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »

Why the fuck doesn't joswift have blue stars as a competitor?
I have had several accounts, I used to have stars  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #328 on: August 11, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »

Yeah, we tried to get more but because of you they're on backorder.
Y

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »
Yeah, we tried to get more but because of you they're on backorder.

Basile took the last ones.

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2021, 12:18:16 PM »
When I experience "gassy bloat" I go into a crowded store and release a booming loud blast ( FART!) :o
Not really LOL, but I hope you chuckled a bit and relaxed.

If you take a bunch of laxatives, you'll only feel weak and look flat with possible cramping when you try to flex/pose at the show.
REMEMBER, you're not competing in a pro show or even a national level contest.
Yes, it's likely a few impressive freaks and some small shredded guys will compete.
BUT, you have mass and decent muscularity , so you'll be fine. You might do BETTER then you think?  ;)

Do NOT, do NOT, do NOT do any crazy peaking routines or water/salt manipulations, etc.
1. today do a light wt pumping workout on your back , biceps and abs
on wed , do a light pumping work out on your chest, delts and tris      ( no leg work, just flex 'em often)

Starting today spend 30 min each day doing the basic poses and hold each for 15 sec in a mirror.
front: lat spread, dbl bi, side tri, side chest     Back - lat spread, dbl bi ( flex calf/hams)
overhead ab and quad flex and do a 10 sec most muscular. Hold the final position for 10-15 sec and stay "rock still" .
Please don't squirm around looking for the perfect position and light. The judges hate that. Hit the pose, hold and don't move.

For the finals just do some slow , basic poses and try to keep in time with the music.
Don't get too concerned with the finals routine as it doesn't count. Repeat , it doesn't affect your place in the class.

On thurs night start putting on the 1st 2 coats of bronzer and you're DONE showering. * it can wash off or streak
On friday morning , put on a 3rd and maybe 4th coat.
After the friday meeting put on a quick last coat and have your gf apply it to your back every time.

IF you're planning on using the tan airbursh service available at some shows, you better make an appt ..."yesterday" or they may be all booked up. I'd advise you to use Pam  cooking oil spray for posing instead of baby oil.

Wear sweats and bring a couple towels to pump up. Take your time and do pushups, and free hand movements to get blood into areas you want to pump. Take your time and flex a lot to enhance to pump. Don't be the last guy to strip down and apply oil.
The show is won on the stage and backstage is just to get ready . Try to be friendly and offer to pump up with other guys in your class.

Have fun and be a good sport regardless of how you feel about your place or the judges , etc.

Lastly take a lot of pics and take a few minutes to take in the whole contest experience.
Unless you're a pro, doing it for money and career, this is all about what YOU get out of competing.

Now, relax and get ready  one step at a time!

PS/ No word yet from my wife's friends. Last time she talked to her, they were thinking of staying in their beach hotel until saturday morning and then leaving. If that happens, we won't be able to come to the contest.

Having said that, I'd actually like to go and see this. It's not that far a drive. But "life" can get in the way of our fun sometimes.
I know YOU understand that .   Good luck and kick ass !

What about haircut, shaving and thong ?
Jokes aside, very good advices.
You can be paid for that... ;D

$

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2021, 01:17:16 PM »
What about haircut, shaving and thong ?
Jokes aside, very good advices.
You can be paid for that... ;D

I'm f'n old  ,which makes me "old school".
You help out a fellow gym bro and pass on training , diet and contest prep knowledge.
You make a living, OUTSIDE the gym, from your day job. ;)

Working out, is a healthy hobby and lifestyle . (* unless you owned/managed the gym)
Working a job ,is how you make $$.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2021, 04:04:45 PM »
Yeah well I am stealing Wes song 2001 space odyessey. The real issue is getting rid of my belly the next 2 days. I am 2 days out with no abs and still bloated. I have digestive issues so basically bloated with gas need to bring it down or that is what I thought my old super metabolism hasn't leaned me out yet. Despite only eating 3 meals yesterday. May to have to actually eat less for a day or 2. Considering takign some metamucil to clear out the guts don't want to take a laxative as I already get like diarea and bloating but need to empty also have some petpo and some imidium or somethign I got from cvs. Not going to lose much fat at this poiunt but If I could at least flatten the belly that would be a start

Someones starting to think about pulling out.  :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »
I love these stories.I have nothing that compares.We had some of the top powerlifters in the world come through our gym at one time or another but we only had two competitive bodybuilders at our gym.Both were very good but mostly powerlifters there.
Cook I did odd lift contests and competed in powerlifting in the early to mid 70`s but mixed in bb exercises and assitance movements.

I trained at the YMCA....no gym in those days as you know unless you were gay.....not that there is anything wrong with that. ;D

Anyway a guy named Carl Snitkin trained there among quite a few guys that were extremely strong.....John Pezzitte my powerlifting mentor did a 515 bench officially with a 2 second pause.....another influential person in my life.

Google Carl or Carlton Snitkin and you`ll see what I mean about him.....won some huge meets.

In 1974 I entered the Boston Open Power Meet....my first meet got the highest bench in my class....I was so proud of that tiny little trophy.....it was the only thing I had ever won up until that time...Vince Anello used to post on my old forum....."Tim Wescotts Weight On The Web"....just a cheap pro-board setup....but a great mix of guys.... and there is still some invaluable stuff posted there.....thinking of tarting it back up again.

Vince is now my friend on Facebook from our asociation on my board...............just a fantastic person him and his greyhounds.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #334 on: August 11, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
SEVERAL ??? LOL ;D

You`ve had more accounts than Coach !  ;D

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
Cook I did odd lift contests and competed in powerlifting in the early to mid 70`s but mixed in bb exercises and assitance movements.

I trained at the YMCA....no gym in those days as you know unless you were gay.....not that there is anything wrong with that. ;D

Anyway a guy named Carl Snitkin trained there among quite a few guys that were extremely strong.....John Pezzitte my powerlifting mentor did a 515 bench officially with a 2 second pause.....another influential person in my life.

Google Carl or Carlton Snitkin and you`ll see what I mean about him.....won some huge meets.

In 1974 I entered the Boston Open Power Meet....my first meet got the highest bench in my class....I was so proud of that tiny little trophy.....it was the only thing I had ever won up until that time...Vince Anello used to post on my old forum....."Tim Wescotts Weight On The Web"....just a cheap pro-board setup....but a great mix of guys.... and there is still some invaluable stuff posted there.....thinking of tarting it back up again.

Vince is now my friend on Facebook from our asociation on my board...............just a fantastic person him and his greyhounds.
that’s some more awesome stuff.I remember Vince.In 1980 the world championships were in Arlington Texas and I spent 3days up there.I was working there but never really was assigned a job so I hung out in the warmup room watching guys like Vince and Jon Kuc warm up for their lifts.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
Make sure you have 2 pairs of trunks....this is sometimes a necessity have them overnighted to you....you`re rich...and eat light bonehead.....4-5 chicken and salad meals with lemon juice or vinegar for dressing or just plain.......you cant go wrong if you can muster up the much needed discipline which so far you`ve shown that you can train with the pink dumbells, but cant diet,....EVEN FOR ONLY 5 FUCKING DAYS.

Get serious if you`re gonna` enter or just forfeit your entry money, look at contest pics, and keep telling us how you would have won easily.....though it` all conjecture on your part and you are uually wrong.

There is nothing easy about this sport....it takes balls to be disciplined..... so get your balls out of that beach sand and get serious or just be an also ran.

Meant to inspire not to put you down.

You`d quit my diet after the fitst can of tuna eaten out of the can with water as a meal. LOL  ;D

Old school baby
If I wanted to put you down you know I`m good at it.  ;D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2021, 04:43:25 PM »

In 1974 I entered the Boston Open Power Meet....my first meet got the highest bench in my class....
OMG! I competed in the Boston Open about 4 years AFTER you ( '78).
I went there with Dom Famino , a college buddy who competed in the 165's.
I got so excited when we arrived, I entered and paid the late fee.

I had to buy a lifting singlet and used Dom's belt. LOL, I squatted without wraps .
It was the 1st time I ever did any heavy  deadlifting and managed to pull 485 lbs in the 198's.
Dom told me to just leg press the floor and lay back, in the warm up room.  Dom pulled 500 in 165's !

Do you remember a head ref named , Joe Zorella?, big guy w bozo style curly brown hair and thick hands.
 Joe wore that blue AAU blazer .He used to eat hot dogs a lot and forget he was.
I saw him hold his hand up with a hot dog in it and give the lifter the "SQUAT" command. Too f'n funny.

I remember seeing this tiny guy in the 123's or 132's named Francesca bench 315 with a 2 sec pause.
This was before bench shirts and I was blown away at his lb for lb power.

Maybe it's because we were young and unjaded, but the lifts seemed more "real" back then. ???

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »

I had to buy a lifting singlet and used Dom's belt. LOL, I squatted without wraps .
It was the 1st time I ever did any heavy  deadlifting and managed to pull 485 lbs in the 198's.
Dom told me to just leg press the floor and lay back, in the warm up room.  Dom pulled 500 in 165's !

Do you remember a head ref named , Joe Zorella?, big guy w bozo style curly brown hair and thick hands.
I saw him hold his hand up with a hot dog in it and give the lifter the "SQUAT" command. Too f'n funny.

I remember seeing this tiny guy in the 123's or 132's named Francesca bench 315 with a 2 sec pause.

Maybe it's because we were young and unjaded, but the lifts seemed more "real" back then. ???
You are right Howard I have become jaded watching some of the powerlifting videos I see on YouTube and constantly catch myself saying “that would not have been a good lift back when I was competing “

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
that’s some more awesome stuff.I remember Vince.In 1980 the world championships were in Arlington Texas and I spent 3days up there.I was working there but never really was assigned a job so I hung out in the warmup room watching guys like Vince and Jon Kuc warm up for their lifts.
Here`s a good one for ya`Cook.

All the wrestlers were in town at the Civic Center and came to our gym to train,they thought they were the shit until they saw Jeff King,Richard Roy,Artie  Prince and Matt Dusfresne....then they look small and shitty by comparion.....epecizally that Black guy Virgil.....Black Jack Mulligan was a veritable giant though.

BUT ALSO....Ted Arcidi was there and did skullcrushers for nice clean reps with three  plates a side on an Olympic curling bar.

Ted asked some kid to go to the store and get him a sub and a large milkshake.....gave the kid a 100 dollar bill and when the kid came back,he gave him the change from the C-Note.

SHIT I would have went and got it for him for 5 bucks   LOL  ;D

Dude was humongous and stronger than hell.

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »
Oh and by the way all bullshit aside Good luck Bhank

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2021, 04:55:35 PM »
Here`s a good one for ya`Cook.

All the wrestlers were in town at the Civic Center and came to our gym to train,they thought they were the shit until they saw Jeff King,Richard Roy,Artie  Prince and Matt Dusfresne....then they look small and shitty by comparion.....epecizally that Black guy Virgil.....Black Jack Mulligan was a veritable giant though.

BUT ALSO....Ted Arcidi was there and did skullcrushers for nice clean reps with three  plates a side on an Olympic curling bar.

Ted asked some kid to go to the store and get him a sub and a large milkshake.....gave the kid a 100 dollar bill and when the kid came back,he gave him the change from the C-Note.

SHIT I would have went and got it for him for 5 bucks   LOL  ;D

Dude was humongous and stronger than hell.
oh I remember Arcidi we were talking about him just the other day in some thread.He wrestled down here for a few years and I saw him at the gym a few times.This was not long after he benched that 705 and yes he was a monster

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »

That is because even though there were drugs involved you and your body had to lift the weight.  Now it's grotesque amounts of drugs and stupid suits that  do a great majority of the "lifting" for you.  ;) ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2021, 05:05:54 PM »

My name is in the back of Muscular Development with Dickerson on the cover....in the contest reports from the 74 Boston Open.

I thought I was a bad muthafacker....still got a copy from Ebay as I had off all my old my hundreds of books.

Howard we have a lot on common....dont know if that`s a good thing or not, ;D

Just kidding buddy.

I knew Joe Zarella pretty well and the lifts WERE far better then,,,,,no monolift...you actually had to walk the bar out,squat and walk it back in,no squat or deadluft suits,no insanely arching on benches which is fucking ridiculous and no curtsy squats with spotters touching the bar.....three red lights on all that BS.

I remember a guy named Fred Phister,,,,looked like a goose facially but at 148...did a 600 pound deadlift and weighing in behind him in Boston  I had never seen erectors so deep...plus he would squat 385 like a good morning exercise going extremely deep.....he also did a lot of deadlift contests at Ed Jubinvilles contests.

I met some really great people and some really off the wall folks in this game....the good far outweighs the bad by far though.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
That is because even though there were drugs involved you and your body had to lift the weight.  Now it's grotesque amounts of drugs and stupid suits that  do a great majority of the "lifting" for you.  ;) ;D

Last time I went to the Arnold I saw some massive 400 lb beast attempt a 1000+ lb bench
He had on a super fiber "straight jacket" that made him walk like the hunch back of Notre Dame.

Then he has a damn posse' of 6-7 people, he waddles out with ,to set him up.
He gets a generous lift off, lowers the wt and a couple straight jacket straps break loose.

The wt falls on one side like a stone and the beast flops off to the other side and lays on the floor.
LOL, his team of spotters scatter for cover as the disaster unfolds.

Meanwhile the bar  flipped to side away from him and the wt plates crash to the floor .

After witnessing that train wreck in person, I've had a lot more respect for "raw" bench records.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2021, 06:09:34 PM »
2.5 days out had belly this am but went for a beach walk and did a light workout also cut calories. Starting to flatten now. I said 2 day diet and that started today just hoping I timed it all right as was really feeling fat this am after yesterday dinner but took it easy in the food today. Also took my stomach anti gas and diaries medicine. May try and push to 198.5 currently 212

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2021, 06:29:38 PM »

It will never happen, there's plenty of clues already.

That being said, competing changes you forever.  Humbling and educational

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #347 on: August 11, 2021, 06:35:36 PM »
Unfortunately, it wasn't his father.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #348 on: August 11, 2021, 06:47:38 PM »
Unfortunately, it wasn't his father.

;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #349 on: August 11, 2021, 07:06:02 PM »
2.5 days out had belly this am but went for a beach walk and did a light workout also cut calories. Starting to flatten now. I said 2 day diet and that started today just hoping I timed it all right as was really feeling fat this am after yesterday dinner but took it easy in the food today. Also took my stomach anti gas and diaries medicine. May try and push to 198.5 currently 212

Unless you are carrying a ton of water....14 lbs. to be exact, I think getting to your goal weight is going to be a big challenge. Best of luck though, I sincerely hope you will do it. Also, you may need a little bit of a cushion, meaning if there's a weight limit you might want to be slightly under it because not all scales read the same not even good ones, specially not the one in my doctor's office. LOL!