Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 181665 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2007, 09:48:44 AM »
went in today and did not feel 100%, my stomach has been bothering me all day and overall my energy levels were down a little but I gave it a go anyway:

Incline Press-230*28RP, 10 second static and a 60 second deep stretch.  I could totally focus on my chest and it felt like it was gonna blow up when I was done.

Widowmaker-80*20, I'm gonna go down a little in weight next week but bump the reps up to 30ish, my shoulder was bothering me about half way through which is odd, maybe I got a little to overexcited and bumped my weight up a little to fast.

Military Press-usually I do a really quick warm up, 135*15, 225*4 and then into my working weight which is usually pretty damn heavy.  I limit my range of motion to about nose level on the way down, any lower and my rotator cuff hurts like hell.  Today the 225 felt so f'n heavy it was unreal, now I did tweak my shoulder a little on the widowmaker and the stretch but I didn't think it was that bad so I figured I could either a) skip shoulders alltogether or b)just work with the 225.

I chose to work with the 225, it didn't feel real good and was probably the wrong desision but who knows?  I got 21 reps rest paused, did 17 lateral raises with 35's and did a 25 second static with the DB's. 

overhead rope extensions-40*31RP, never did em before so I didn't really know where to start, felt really different.  I also did a 60 second stretch at the end.

I then did 20 mins of cardio on the stairmill and the recumbant bike.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2007, 10:15:36 AM »
went in today and did not feel 100%, my stomach has been bothering me all day and overall my energy levels were down a little but I gave it a go anyway:

Incline Press-230*28RP, 10 second static and a 60 second deep stretch.  I could totally focus on my chest and it felt like it was gonna blow up when I was done.

Widowmaker-80*20, I'm gonna go down a little in weight next week but bump the reps up to 30ish, my shoulder was bothering me about half way through which is odd, maybe I got a little to overexcited and bumped my weight up a little to fast.

Military Press-usually I do a really quick warm up, 135*15, 225*4 and then into my working weight which is usually pretty damn heavy.  I limit my range of motion to about nose level on the way down, any lower and my rotator cuff hurts like hell.  Today the 225 felt so f'n heavy it was unreal, now I did tweak my shoulder a little on the widowmaker and the stretch but I didn't think it was that bad so I figured I could either a) skip shoulders alltogether or b)just work with the 225.

I chose to work with the 225, it didn't feel real good and was probably the wrong desision but who knows?  I got 21 reps rest paused, did 17 lateral raises with 35's and did a 25 second static with the DB's. 

overhead rope extensions-40*31RP, never did em before so I didn't really know where to start, felt really different.  I also did a 60 second stretch at the end.

I then did 20 mins of cardio on the stairmill and the recumbant bike.

21rp with the seated military with 225?!  :o

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »
I'd love a video of that........

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2007, 10:43:27 AM »
21rp with the seated military with 225?!  :o

it's a smith and like I said the reps are not full range of motion.  back when I wrestled in highschool I weighed 140 and could press 135lbs 15 times with no support, just take the bar off the bench and go.  When we were really young my Dad had me and my brother do a handstand againts a wall and do what we called "wall ups" where we'd start stading on our heads and push up until our arms were extended.  Somedays we'd alternate and work up to 100 reps, I'd do 10, he'd do 10 and eventually we got 100 reps, I don't remember how long it took but I remember doing it, we had to put a pillow under our head cause the floor was to hard if we had to stop to take a break. 
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »
it's a smith and like I said the reps are not full range of motion.  back when I wrestled in highschool I weighed 140 and could press 135lbs 15 times with no support, just take the bar off the bench and go.  When we were really young my Dad had me and my brother do a handstand againts a wall and do what we called "wall ups" where we'd start stading on our heads and push up until our arms were extended.  Somedays we'd alternate and work up to 100 reps, I'd do 10, he'd do 10 and eventually we got 100 reps, I don't remember how long it took but I remember doing it, we had to put a pillow under our head cause the floor was to hard if we had to stop to take a break. 

I don't care where you do it, smith or not, that's pushin hard!  :o ;D

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2007, 11:30:52 AM »
AL i have jumped into this thread late a missed parts but overall how are doing?

You mention rotator probs, due to training or existing problem?

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
AL i have jumped into this thread late a missed parts but overall how are doing?

You mention rotator probs, due to training or existing problem?

ta ta

I'm doing fine.  Most know about the personal issues I had for the last few years, they really affected my training so I'd say I'm a few years behind where I feel I should be plus prior to that I really didn't train to much cause of school and work.  I'm 5'7, 198lbs as of Thursday, BF is in the teens somewhere, don't know where prolly 15%ish, don't really know.  I'm giving myself about 6-8 more weeks of dieting to see how I look.

Rotator cuff problems are from an old wrestling injury, left shoulder and both wrists are pretty trashed from wrestling.  Lower back is not 100% cause of a job I used to have.

I'm trying lots of new movements and rep ranges so this is actually pretty cool for me right now, if I get my BF down how I want it I might even post some pics.  We'll see.
nasser=piece of shit

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2007, 02:08:09 AM »
And in terms of purely training would you recommend DC?

I'm on a Max -ot program at the minute and am amazed by the results

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

ryanhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2007, 03:35:57 AM »
 hi al,
could you help me out?with a good work-out program i am interested in training dc.
anything you can do to help would be great!

thanks.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2007, 05:37:18 AM »

ta ta

Just looking at Big Al's log amazes me at how well DC will work for you if you grasp the concept properly. If max-ot is making it happen...why not consider DC when you gains start waning??

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2007, 07:01:22 AM »

ta ta

I actually like Max-Ot alot and used it right before I started DC.  Some of the concepts carry over, progressive increase in resistance but the volume is less with DC.  I feel DC is the next logical step for max-ot guys.  If you've made gains with max ot you know how to train, it's a program that teaches you the importance of intesity and knowing how to pick movements that you're gonna get the most out of.  It stresses recovery and gives you a great base to work off of.

I excelled when I switched from OT to DC, went from 195 to 214 in a pretty short period of time but that was the best "window" I've ever had as far as training, eating, recovering and being there mentally.  DC's allowed me to bring up some bodyparts alot even though I might have only been about 50% into it mentally.  This last blast even with a ton of bullshit in my life I still got back up to 211 just using the basic concepts.  Right now I'm making great gains....

anyway to answer your question I'd say "yes" to a guy in your situation, to a beginner I'd recommend max ot for awhile to establish a base and "learn" to train.

hi al,
could you help me out?with a good work-out program i am interested in training dc.
anything you can do to help would be great!

thanks.

see above.  DC doesn't really work for guys who don't have an established background of hard training behind them.  Not trying to be mean but you can do everything DC says for you to do and if you don't know how to train hard and push yourself you won't get anything from it.

maybe I'm wrong, if you think you're ready go to intensemuscle.com...then the dogpound and read the stickiens, there's tons of great info there.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2007, 08:07:57 AM »
Hey bro, todays session was another reminder of how much calfs,hammys and quads are not fun to train (but kinda are at the same time-weird i know lol).

B4 my cruise id got 13 reps on leg press calf press, but after having 2 week cruise i decided to use all same weights as b4 the cruise, for my 1st sessions back in opening 2 week cycle. so i used same weight for calfs. Gone from 13 reps DC style, followed by 25-30 partials, to 17 reps DC style followed by 50 partials. ouch, but awesome at the same time lol.

Maxed out another machine aswell on unilateral leg press.

Thats leg raise, uni leg press and shoulder grip pulldowns (palms facing), all run outa weight.

Im gonna have to maybe invest in 1 of those thick pins that u can hang more weight on?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »
Hey bro, todays session was another reminder of how much calfs,hammys and quads are not fun to train (but kinda are at the same time-weird i know lol).

B4 my cruise id got 13 reps on leg press calf press, but after having 2 week cruise i decided to use all same weights as b4 the cruise, for my 1st sessions back in opening 2 week cycle. so i used same weight for calfs. Gone from 13 reps DC style, followed by 25-30 partials, to 17 reps DC style followed by 50 partials. ouch, but awesome at the same time lol.

Maxed out another machine aswell on unilateral leg press.

Thats leg raise, uni leg press and shoulder grip pulldowns (palms facing), all run outa weight.

Im gonna have to maybe invest in 1 of those thick pins that u can hang more weight on?!

davie

those pins are great, a guy at one of my old gyms made a few and I loved them, I could really pile weight on...now i have to kinda rig up a machine to hold more weight and they just don't really like that.

I did legs today, problem was there was someone on every machine I wanted to use so I had to go out of order to get everything in, I'm gonna write it up as it should have gone but I did hack squats before seated leg curls and....it's just confusing:

smith machine calf raise-225*12 done in DC style and then 23 partials.  First time, I saw a few guys doing this, we have a piece of equipment that you put under you and it's just like a standing calf raise, weight goes on your shoulder like a squat...I dont' know how long I'll keep it, it wasn't really all that comfortable.  I can't see a guy doing mroe than 315 cause it was killing my neck...maybe i jsut need to get used to it.

Seated Leg Curl-130*31RP, Static 180 for 25 seconds and a 60 second stretch

Hack Squat-325*5 with 26 partials

Widowmaker-260*28....then I put 200lbs on a leg extention and did a static hold, got about 30 seconds.

I've been avoiding the quad stretch cause it hurt my low back but I'm gonna start it back up next leg workout.

might go in tonight for abs and really, really light cardio if I feel like it.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Give me a run down of the quad stretch agai will u bro, i tried it but didnt feel much,thanks?!

Thinking of getting cage 4 home gym ehich will have smith and free weight capabilities.

considering it anyway,my own hardcore hangout, for me and mates who lift.

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »
Give me a run down of the quad stretch agai will u bro, i tried it but didnt feel much,thanks?!

Thinking of getting cage 4 home gym ehich will have smith and free weight capabilities.

considering it anyway,my own hardcore hangout, for me and mates who lift.

davie

I'll look for a pick.

I've been thinking of buying some stuff for home as well...we'll see.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
I'll look for a pick.

I've been thinking of buying some stuff for home as well...we'll see.

You know of anygood sites for buying equipment?!

I wouldnt mind v basic cage, but if i can id get one that has smith set up,+pins for free weight squatting.benching (incline/decline-shoulder pressing) etc!!

Kul bro, a pik wud be good.

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2007, 11:13:04 AM »
You know of anygood sites for buying equipment?!

I wouldnt mind v basic cage, but if i can id get one that has smith set up,+pins for free weight squatting.benching (incline/decline-shoulder pressing) etc!!

Kul bro, a pik wud be good.

davie

I don't own any home equipment, still looking for a pic though.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »
couldn't find a pic but here's the explanation:

QUADS: Facing a barbell in a power rack about hip high --grip it and simultaneously sink down and throw your knees under the barbell and do a sissy squat underneath it while going up on your toes. then straighten your arms and lean as far back as you can---60 seconds and if this one doesn't make you hate my guts and bring tears to your eyes nothing will---do this one faithfully and tell me in 4 weeks if your quads don’t look a lot different than they used to.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2007, 01:38:11 AM »
Thought i was doing that mate, but i just seemd to feel it in my stomach (tensing for 60 seconds)?!

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »
Thought i was doing that mate, but i just seemd to feel it in my stomach (tensing for 60 seconds)?!

davie

never felt it in my stomach, only the low back...

today:

DC pullups-115lbs of assistance, got 34 reps rest paused along with a 30 second static with 60lbs of assistance.

Rack deads-320*4
                 225*11
then I did a 60 second stretch, form on the deads felt a little  ???, don't know why it just didn't feel right.

2 hand hammer curls-40*36, 35 second static and a 60 second stretch

wrist curl-75*28

nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »
never felt it in my stomach, only the low back...

today:

DC pullups-115lbs of assistance, got 34 reps rest paused along with a 30 second static with 60lbs of assistance.

Rack deads-320*4
                 225*11
then I did a 60 second stretch, form on the deads felt a little  ???, don't know why it just didn't feel right.

2 hand hammer curls-40*36, 35 second static and a 60 second stretch

wrist curl-75*28

those rack deads feel great dont they!? :D how deep you pulling from with your back injury? AND 34 reps on assisted pullups? I'd have r un home crying after 20 lol! DC must work! Seems to be for you!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »
those rack deads feel great dont they!? :D how deep you pulling from with your back injury? AND 34 reps on assisted pullups? I'd have r un home crying after 20 lol! DC must work! Seems to be for you!
I pull from just below knee level, probably 2 inches below.  I'm gonna have to write up how I do the DC pull ups, DC wrote them up awhile ago.....maybe I'll write it up tomorrow or copy and paste his description...they're not called DC pull ups by him, I just named them that, I don't know what he calls em.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »
hammer incline-145*33RP, got 15 partials and a 10 second static at the end

widowmaker-60*25, then I did a 90 second stretch

Hammer Shoulder 140 a side, done unilaterally-left-13RP
                                                              Right-12RP
I didn't do any static or partials but I did a 60 second stretch at the end.

Reverse Grip Bench-Done on a smith, 235*18 Straight set then I did 60 second stretches with each arm.

I did my usual cardio work.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
320 pounds for rack deadlifts and 235 on smith machine reverse grips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

it's more than 80% of the people in the gym can or are willing to do period..

Who cares. Al's progressing and making things happen that work for him. he's come along way from where he started and overcome some pretty thick bullshit ontop of a LBI and still puts up decent weights. I say he's earned just a little respect..

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2007, 02:01:39 PM »
hahahaha, why don't you do any barbell movements stud? afraid of hard work? ;D

no.  the gym I'm at has 1 powerrack and it's not even a real rack, the safety bars only come up to about waist level.  Could I set it up for some movements?  Sure but the smith is faster, safer and I have no problem with it.  It seems to really bother you that I use it, why is that?  I don't hide behind it, I always point out that I use it and have no idea how much I could do on free weight movements that I use a smith for.

I could care less if I train with hammer machines, nautilus, icarian, free weights or smith machines, it don't matter.  All that matters is what you look like at the end of the day.

the only way you're training hard is with BB's ::) ::) ::) ::)  oh, brother.  Training hard is about alot more than the equipment you have or choose to use, I figured someone with you're supposed experience would know that.
nasser=piece of shit