Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 181661 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
legs....sitting at my desk right now and still feel like I'm gonna puke, legs are pretty numb and shakey :-\ :-\

calfs-calf sled-375*12 done in DC fashion with 21 partial reps at the end

hamstrings-lying leg curls-140*29RP...my hams were sore for some reason before I even trained them but I decided to do them anyway, these were a bitch.  The higher rep work seems to be working really well for my hanstrings, they seem to be responding well.  I didn't do a static or partials, couldn't budge the weight when i was done.

V-Squat-565*7, rested 10 seconds and did 23 partial reps...killer.  Went over to the precor leg press put 265 on and started repping out, totally failed at 21 reps then I put 120lbs on teh leg extention machine and did a static hold for 75 seconds.

I did the hamstring and quad stretch at the end then I did 2 sets on the hammer ab machine. 
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2007, 09:39:48 AM »
legs....sitting at my desk right now and still feel like I'm gonna puke, legs are pretty numb and shakey :-\ :-\

calfs-calf sled-375*12 done in DC fashion with 21 partial reps at the end

hamstrings-lying leg curls-140*29RP...my hams were sore for some reason before I even trained them but I decided to do them anyway, these were a bitch.  The higher rep work seems to be working really well for my hanstrings, they seem to be responding well.  I didn't do a static or partials, couldn't budge the weight when i was done.

V-Squat-565*7, rested 10 seconds and did 23 partial reps...killer.  Went over to the precor leg press put 265 on and started repping out, totally failed at 21 reps then I put 120lbs on teh leg extention machine and did a static hold for 75 seconds.

I did the hamstring and quad stretch at the end then I did 2 sets on the hammer ab machine. 

HAHA! Now THAT is working hard! If you don't have a hard time walking out of the gym, you fucked around too much! :D Sounds like a pretty rough workout brother! I applaud..

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »
Any luck finding that exercise description?

Do u do ur calf partials straight afta work set or afta minutes rest?

I cant seem to get the feeling in the quad stretch, just feel it in my abs as u tense all that time.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2007, 11:14:19 AM »
Any luck finding that exercise description?

Do u do ur calf partials straight afta work set or afta minutes rest?

I cant seem to get the feeling in the quad stretch, just feel it in my abs as u tense all that time.

davie

alright, here's a lame attempt at describing these.  I would start out just like a standard lateral raise, both DB's in front of me so my fingers were parrellell to the ground, as I did the lateral raise my fingers stay that way the whole time, so at the very top my upper arm are straight out to my side but my forearms are just kind of hanging there...does that make sense?  I got up to some pretty good weight using this but again it started to hurt my back >:(

one other thing...I would totally encourage anyone who's having trouble bringing up thier calves to try training them DC style, even if you don't like the rest of the routine the calf workouts are killers. 
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2007, 11:15:59 AM »
alright, here's a lame attempt at describing these.  I would start out just like a standard lateral raise, both DB's in front of me so my fingers were parrellell to the ground, as I did the lateral raise my fingers stay that way the whole time, so at the very top my upper arm are straight out to my side but my forearms are just kind of hanging there...does that make sense?  I got up to some pretty good weight using this but again it started to hurt my back >:(

one other thing...I would totally encourage anyone who's having trouble bringing up thier calves to try training them DC style, even if you don't like the rest of the routine the calf workouts are killers. 

I have big calves but no detail...give me an idea as to what you'd recommend for them. I hate working them anyway. I'm wanting my forearms to catch up with them but til then, I could add some detail instead of size pending what you want to throw out there. I'd appreciate it.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2007, 11:32:12 AM »
I have big calves but no detail...give me an idea as to what you'd recommend for them. I hate working them anyway. I'm wanting my forearms to catch up with them but til then, I could add some detail instead of size pending what you want to throw out there. I'd appreciate it.

I pretty much agree with DC that weight training really can't help with detail, that's mostly a bi-product of BF levels, when you get really low BF maybe some detail work would help but as far aso doint specific movements to bring out detail in general....I just don't buy it.  Sorry.  Maybe...just maybe you might want to try skipping rope, I've been doing that for a few weeks, get a good burn in the calves but still, I would guess detail is more due to BF levels than anything else.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »
I pretty much agree with DC that weight training really can't help with detail, that's mostly a bi-product of BF levels, when you get really low BF maybe some detail work would help but as far aso doint specific movements to bring out detail in general....I just don't buy it.  Sorry.  Maybe...just maybe you might want to try skipping rope, I've been doing that for a few weeks, get a good burn in the calves but still, I would guess detail is more due to BF levels than anything else.

My calves have always just been there, maybe bad genetics, even when I was around 10% a year ago, they had zero cuts in them.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
My calves have always just been there, maybe bad genetics, even when I was around 10% a year ago, they had zero cuts in them.

wow, that's odd.  I really don't have an answer for you then......I'm more or less knowledgable about training using various HIT methods-and I know DC doesn't like his routine to be referred to as HIT but for this conversation I'll group it in there-I am not an expert in anyway on any kind of prep work or diet.  You might want to ask someone who has extensive contest prep experience shy this is happening.

Sorry man.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2007, 06:22:36 AM »
wow, that's odd.  I really don't have an answer for you then......I'm more or less knowledgable about training using various HIT methods-and I know DC doesn't like his routine to be referred to as HIT but for this conversation I'll group it in there-I am not an expert in anyway on any kind of prep work or diet.  You might want to ask someone who has extensive contest prep experience shy this is happening.

Sorry man.

I think I'm going to have to hit'em like forearms and just wear them down with reps.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2007, 09:30:11 AM »
funny day today...

started with pullovers again, 60lbs for 20 reps, prolly could have done more but I'm using them as a warm-up kinda deal for a few workouts.

Life Fitness Pulldowns-100*34RP with a 22 second static at the end, I didn't feel these as much in my arms as last time, really hits the lower part of the lat.

BB Rows-265*5, 225*12...prolly gonna drop these cuase my back can't really take them anymore :(

Wide Grip Cable curs-80*40RP, I thought I was only gonna get 30.  The way I do these I try to touch the bar to my forehead every rep...well, I got a little to excited and actually smashed the bar into my head a couple of times...I've got a small mark on my forehead now, it's actually pretty funny...did a 30 second static.

hammer curls-30*20-25 and a 20 second static

did my stretches at the end.

long weekend so it's cardio a go-go for the next few days.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2007, 09:42:19 AM »
why not more move weight in the 12-20 rep range instead of above 20rep area?  ???

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2007, 09:49:43 AM »
why not more move weight in the 12-20 rep range instead of above 20rep area?  ???

my target for this blast is to work in the 20-30 rep range, this is only the second time through this rotation so I'm still trying to zero in on the weight I can handle, I didn't want to make to drastic a jump, I probably could have been more aggresive with some of the weight and maybe I will next time.  On the curls I honestly didn't think there was anyway in hell I'd get that many reps, it's a unique movement so I still need to guage things with it.  Same with the pulldown machine I'm using, it's so much different than a regular pulldown, the weight feels so f'n heavy on it but once i got into a groove I did really well with it.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »
my target for this blast is to work in the 20-30 rep range, this is only the second time through this rotation so I'm still trying to zero in on the weight I can handle, I didn't want to make to drastic a jump, I probably could have been more aggresive with some of the weight and maybe I will next time.  On the curls I honestly didn't think there was anyway in hell I'd get that many reps, it's a unique movement so I still need to guage things with it.  Same with the pulldown machine I'm using, it's so much different than a regular pulldown, the weight feels so f'n heavy on it but once i got into a groove I did really well with it.

LIFEFITNESS pull downs? with the 295 stack? Or the weird "suggested resistance" stack that only goes to 95 or something? HATE that fucking thing. I was just wondering. I like what I'm reading in your log. I might take a 6 or 8 weeker resembling yoru log and give it a nice change of pace.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2007, 09:58:10 AM »
LIFEFITNESS pull downs? with the 295 stack? Or the weird "suggested resistance" stack that only goes to 95 or something? HATE that fucking thing. I was just wondering. I like what I'm reading in your log. I might take a 6 or 8 weeker resembling yoru log and give it a nice change of pace.

it's plate loaded, very unique set up, 2 seperate handles, kinda like a cable cross over set up.  I'd almost have to take a picture of it to describe it, they have about 8 of those type of machines and no one ever uses them.

thanks for the feedback, if I had more time I'd follow your log a little better but you know how it is.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2007, 10:01:33 AM »
it's plate loaded, very unique set up, 2 seperate handles, kinda like a cable cross over set up.  I'd almost have to take a picture of it to describe it, they have about 8 of those type of machines and no one ever uses them.

thanks for the feedback, if I had more time I'd follow your log a little better but you know how it is.

That sounds a little weird. I always like to try out new equipment. The same old torture gets old. LOL mines the same ol' shit man. Just another day. You know how that goes. Great work buddy. Encouragment is what we're here for. Sometimes it's that little extra push people give ya that gets you busting more ass.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »
lol-just went into the bathroom and I've got a mark on my forehead, oh brother :D :D :D
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »
lol-just went into the bathroom and I've got a mark on my forehead, oh brother :D :D :D

???

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »
???

Wide Grip Cable curs-80*40RP, I thought I was only gonna get 30.  The way I do these I try to touch the bar to my forehead every rep...well, I got a little to excited and actually smashed the bar into my head a couple of times...I've got a small mark on my forehead now, it's actually pretty funny...did a 30 second static.

that's the reason....
nasser=piece of shit

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »
any stat updates since you started?

wt loss, gain, fat loss, strength gain, etc.
Deep Tissue Massage

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2007, 06:08:43 AM »
any stat updates since you started?

wt loss, gain, fat loss, strength gain, etc.

I'm a little leaner, not moving as fast as I'd like.  Since I changed my rep range it's hard to say wether I'm stronger or not but I lowered my weights by 20% and pretty much doubled my reps.

Low back is really turning into an issue, I thought I could just power through it but right now i's hurting bad.

I figured if I started really light on some movements like the rack deads and the bent rows and added weight at a slow but consistant basis while monitoring things that my back would adjust and it just hasn't so I might cycle out the rack deads and the bent rows.  I'm a little upset cause I used to be a pretty decent deadlifter and now my back just can't handle it at all.  I'll probably give it one more run through the rotation and change things up after that.
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2007, 07:16:01 AM »
80 pound cable curls, what a beast. ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2007, 07:23:47 AM »
And "powerlaterals"  ;)

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2007, 07:40:09 AM »

only the 2nd time doing em slick, new movement, I stacked the machine for 18 reps doing them conventionally-think it was 150lbs, these are done using a WIDE grip and the rep range is alot higher, still trying to get things down.  Maybe if you actually trained you'd get it but lifting KFC to your fat face isn't exactly using the overload principle now is it..unless you're overloading your fat gut chubby.

And "powerlaterals"  ;)

could you do those on your bowflex?

still think you could be the biggest schmoe/wannabe/hanger on this site has ever seen....tell us again how you talk to dickerson and hung out backstage during the 70's yet have accomplished nothing in life....you are a total zero in everyway.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »
hahahahahaha, brutal lack of a comeback, 80 pound cable curls are pathetic, calling me "chubby" doesn't change that. ;D

what do you think is a good wieght?  remember these are not standard cable curls, these are done with a lat pulldown bar and I grip it where the bends are, I also am standing away from the machine, one leg in front of the other, torso bent so at the bottom my arms are hanging, weight is then curled up and the bar touches the forehead.  Doing them this way eliminates the "hitch" you get when you preform cable curls like a standard BB curl.  Like I said it's a "new" movement and I'm trying to get a feel for it, this was what my 2nd or 3rd time doing them, next time I'll go up to 105 and see what happens.  REmember my rep range has gotta stay in the 20-30 area.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »
I tried the new skull crusher variation done lying on floor (look up that guy wojo doing them on youtube).
There great, no cheating, almost literally cruched my skull wen failing on these lol.

Dont really get the example, any pics?

Got one legged squats to try on monday (maxed out leg press machine on one leg presses-tho i can still use it for widow makers).
Was thinking of also trying step ups in the future,yes/no??

I didnt think pullovers wer recommended by Dante? Could always try pullover and press?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah