Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 181684 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
I tried the new skull crusher variation done lying on floor (look up that guy wojo doing them on youtube).
There great, no cheating, almost literally cruched my skull wen failing on these lol.

Dont really get the example, any pics?

Got one legged squats to try on monday (maxed out leg press machine on one leg presses-tho i can still use it for widow makers).
Was thinking of also trying step ups in the future,yes/no??

I didnt think pullovers wer recommended by Dante? Could always try pullover and press?!

davie
the best way to do those is to touch the floor with the bar behind your head or even pause it on the floor between reps, great movement.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2007, 04:56:44 AM »
Thats what i meant bro, i paused after each rep, resting the weight on the ground for a second. awesome.

Tris are sore 2 days later (actually left is worse then right).

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2007, 03:54:52 PM »
I tried the new skull crusher variation done lying on floor (look up that guy wojo doing them on youtube).
There great, no cheating, almost literally cruched my skull wen failing on these lol.

Dont really get the example, any pics?

Got one legged squats to try on monday (maxed out leg press machine on one leg presses-tho i can still use it for widow makers).
Was thinking of also trying step ups in the future,yes/no??

I didnt think pullovers wer recommended by Dante? Could always try pullover and press?!

davie

Dante never actually said he doesn't like pullovers that I know of, he probably wouldn't approve of the way I'm using them-more as a warm up and pre-exhaust BUT it's one of those things, I'll probably drop em next week, just something I wanted to try.  If I had access to one I'd use the old nautilus pullover machine as one of my lat width movements, I just love pullovers of any kind but doing them with the db's tends to hurt my shoulder after awhile.  I just got a little itch to do them so I scratched it.....I'm probably done with them. 

I follow what dC says about training pretty damn close but I don't like to think that I can't try things out for myself once in awhile and see how I feel about a movement.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2007, 01:39:58 AM »
I know what u mean mate.

I dont think xcercises like hang clean and press would b widely excepted by DC veterans,  but i think it could be a great shoulder building exercise wen done DC style, i might try it next blast??

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2007, 06:10:14 AM »
did chest, shoulders, tri's today:

incline press-235*31RP, no static cause I totally failed with it at 31, couldn't budge it up into position for a static. I also skipped the widowmaker today.  I'm not gonna do it for a couple of weeks and see what happens, maybe I'm overtraining my chest?  Who knows.

Shoulders-Military press-225*19.....not good.  I'm degressing with these, maybe my tri's are fried from the high rep bench work?  I don't know but I'm gonna drop em and sue behind the neck presses for a little while, I am gonna keep the rep range higher than normal on them cause of my rotator cuff problems.  I did do a static at the end.

Tri's-overhead rope extenstions, I only used 45lbs but got 30 reps...I've only done these once before and I think once I get into a groove they'll be alittle easier on me.

I did abs, 3 sets on the crunch machine for 15-18 reps with about 100lbs and knee raises with a 5lbs DB for 2 sets of 15.  Then I did 45 minutes of cardio, HR at 130 BPM.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2007, 06:16:30 AM »
did chest, shoulders, tri's today:

incline press-235*31RP, no static cause I totally failed with it at 31, couldn't budge it up into position for a static. I also skipped the widowmaker today.  I'm not gonna do it for a couple of weeks and see what happens, maybe I'm overtraining my chest?  Who knows.

Shoulders-Military press-225*19.....not good.  I'm degressing with these, maybe my tri's are fried from the high rep bench work?  I don't know but I'm gonna drop em and sue behind the neck presses for a little while, I am gonna keep the rep range higher than normal on them cause of my rotator cuff problems.  I did do a static at the end.

Tri's-overhead rope extenstions, I only used 45lbs but got 30 reps...I've only done these once before and I think once I get into a groove they'll be alittle easier on me.

I did abs, 3 sets on the crunch machine for 15-18 reps with about 100lbs and knee raises with a 5lbs DB for 2 sets of 15.  Then I did 45 minutes of cardio, HR at 130 BPM.

YOUR SEATED MILITARY HAD TO BE A BITCH AFTER THAT MUCH BENCH PRESSING!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: May 28, 2007, 06:27:35 AM »
YOUR SEATED MILITARY HAD TO BE A BITCH AFTER THAT MUCH BENCH PRESSING!

I think the high rep work is really taking a toll on my shoulder work BUT my shoulders have always been one of my strongest BP's so I don't think it will be that much of an issue.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2007, 06:40:03 AM »
I think the high rep work is really taking a toll on my shoulder work BUT my shoulders have always been one of my strongest BP's so I don't think it will be that much of an issue.

I'm not very well verse in DC exercises, but why not go to a row or a raise insteadof a pressing movement after your bench pressing every once in a while to change it up? Still... 225 for 19 has me envious lol.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: May 28, 2007, 06:44:25 AM »
I'm not very well verse in DC exercises, but why not go to a row or a raise insteadof a pressing movement after your bench pressing every once in a while to change it up? Still... 225 for 19 has me envious lol.

raises don't really work for DC in general, reason being lets say you start off using 30lbs for 15 reps-just an example-how much weight do you think you could realistically add before you top out on it?  If you're lucky you might get to the 50's before you loose form and hit your limit, with pressing movements you have a greater widow of opportunity so to speak. 

I've NEVER done high rep work before for extended periods of time so this is almost brand new to me and I'm still figuring stuff out, I might decide to go back to the heavier weights, I don't know. 
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: May 28, 2007, 06:52:04 AM »
raises don't really work for DC in general, reason being lets say you start off using 30lbs for 15 reps-just an example-how much weight do you think you could realistically add before you top out on it?  If you're lucky you might get to the 50's before you loose form and hit your limit, with pressing movements you have a greater widow of opportunity so to speak. 

I've NEVER done high rep work before for extended periods of time so this is almost brand new to me and I'm still figuring stuff out, I might decide to go back to the heavier weights, I don't know. 

It's what we do man. It's all about leanring as you go.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #285 on: May 28, 2007, 05:47:01 PM »
Good shit NA, dont know why the fuck you respond to the little shits though.
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2007, 05:30:44 AM »
Hey NAtty Al, whats ur opinions on the hang clean and press idea for DC?

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2007, 06:03:32 AM »
Hey NAtty Al, whats ur opinions on the hang clean and press idea for DC?

davie

never done it.....I'm actually drawing a blank on how you execute it right now...run through it for me if you get a chance, I used to know it but I can't picture it right now.  You might want to treat it like guys do deads or squats-1 heavy set of 4-6 reps and then one slightly higher rep set....
nasser=piece of shit

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #288 on: May 29, 2007, 06:18:29 AM »
the best way to do those is to touch the floor with the bar behind your head or even pause it on the floor between reps, great movement.

Exactly; it becomes a partial ROM through the sweet spot. Behind the head extensions, not "skulls" to the forehead.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2007, 08:39:27 AM »
never done it.....I'm actually drawing a blank on how you execute it right now...run through it for me if you get a chance, I used to know it but I can't picture it right now.  You might want to treat it like guys do deads or squats-1 heavy set of 4-6 reps and then one slightly higher rep set....

Well to take legs out of the move (make it shoulder  movement), i start with bar at knees, clean it from there to shoulders (obviously a wee knee bend to help catch weight), and as i stand up press weight straight up  from top of chest (wer abr was sitting) to straight over head.

Got it now mate?

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
Well to take legs out of the move (make it shoulder  movement), i start with bar at knees, clean it from there to shoulders (obviously a wee knee bend to help catch weight), and as i stand up press weight straight up  from top of chest (wer abr was sitting) to straight over head.

Got it now mate?

davie

seems like it would hurt the back to much for me and eventually I think you'd limit the weight you'd be able to clean so your pressing might suffer....I don't know, doesn't seem like it would work to me.  Try it but keep an eye on the back.

quickie again today, busy as hell and the gym was crowded...I dont' know why...

calfs-smith machine standing raise-235*12 with 30 partials-I'll prolly drop em cause they hurt my back, not really worth it at this point.

hamstrings-seated leg curl-140*31 with a 40 second static

hack squats-330*5, 22 partials

no widowmakers cause I was rushed and a bunch of people were using the legpress I wanted to >:(

did my stretches and got out of dodge.
nasser=piece of shit

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
why not just do a widowmaker with the hacksquat?
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2007, 12:43:03 PM »
seems like it would hurt the back to much for me and eventually I think you'd limit the weight you'd be able to clean so your pressing might suffer....I don't know, doesn't seem like it would work to me.  Try it but keep an eye on the back.

Maybe ur right mate, Just trying to think of alternatives for when i stall on machine press, upright row and behind neck press (iv stalled DB press already, was just a bad day but i decided to change).

Need alternatives, still interested in ur power laterals.

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
why not just do a widowmaker with the hacksquat?

most guys keep the widowmaker a consistant movement so you can progress on it even after you've beaten the piss out of yourself, I like the icarian for a couple of reasons but the main reason is it doesn't put any stress on my back, last leg workout I got 20 something reps with 260, this workout I was going for 25 with 270...next work out even though it's legpress day I'll do my 930lbs on the standard legpress then go over to the icarian and add weigth and still try to beat my rep total.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
only cardio today, 20 mins on the stairmill....man that thing is a bitch, I set it on "10" and just went, usually my back starts to hurt after 10 minutes but not today, it's about 90 degrees outside so by the time I got off I was sweating like a pig, did 10 mins on the recumbant bike afterwards, when I sat down my HR was 148, brought it down to 134 and cruised along. 
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »
lol you come ot MY house and say I'M THE ONE THROWING AROUND THE WEIGHT?! POT TO KETTLE! :D

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: May 30, 2007, 06:48:11 PM »
lol you come ot MY house and say I'M THE ONE THROWING AROUND THE WEIGHT?! POT TO KETTLE! :D

you're stronger than I am, I couldn't even budge some of the weight you're using on some movements.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »
you're stronger than I am, I couldn't even budge some of the weight you're using on some movements.

All paths lead to the top of the mountain.  ;) We have two completely different training styles. I'm naturally strong when it comes to limit strength, but you say I move weight you can't touch. HOWEVER, the weight you move, you move it above and beyond where I would burn out. Which is why I enjoy reading this log and picking your brain.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2007, 12:58:28 AM »
AL great log here mate....just took me like 2 hours to get through it all  ;D. Lot of principals that are above my head atm but still quite interesting. Keep it up mate :).

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2007, 04:35:36 AM »
AL great log here mate....just took me like 2 hours to get through it all  ;D. Lot of principals that are above my head atm but still quite interesting. Keep it up mate :).

let me know if you have any questions.

BTW, I'm totally reworking my diet as we speak.  I've basically been eating pretty much zero carbs except for post workout and even those were limited, I was pretty much doing a high protien/low carb/medium fat diet but I've decided to switch gears.  I'm not gonna go into specifics yet but I'm reading up on some interesting stuff.  let's just say I don't "fear" the carb anymore ;D.  I lost some weight with what I was doing but I basically slowed my metabolism down to a point where what I was doing wasn't really effective at this point.  I've still got alot to work out but I'm gonna post some stuff in the next few weeks that should be pretty interesting.
nasser=piece of shit