Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 182261 times)

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #350 on: June 15, 2007, 05:42:08 AM »
Legs Baby!!!!!

calves-sled:  380*12, I took I short RP at 10 reps, only about 2 seconds to shake my calves out....did 20 partials at the end.

Hamstrings-Lying Leg Curl:145*28RP, 20 second static.  5lbs increase but I lost one rep >:(

V-Squat-here's where things get nuts, last workout I got 6 reps with 565lbs so I write down in my book that I'm gonna go for 575 and I "hope" I can get 4-6 reps, I set the machine up and I actually lowballed myself by only putting on 570lbs, I guess I pussed out but I took my time and said fuck it let's just go all out..I got 12 f'n reps, thought I was gonna puck and my HR was waay up there but it was awsome the last rep took forever to complete and my legs were shaking like a son of a bitch, I unracked it rested for a few and pounded out 21 reps with 275lbs on the precor leg press, I think I lost 2lbs of sweat...it was hot as fuck but I have great workouts when it's hot.

what the hell is a V-Squat man? never heard of that one. :-[

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #351 on: June 15, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
what the hell is a V-Squat man? never heard of that one. :-[

it's like a vertical hack squat machine, it has a pad so I can brace my upper body againts it and it's alot easier on the back, I hardly ever have any back problems after using it.  In reality 500lbs doesn't even feel that heavy so the weight I'm moving on it probably isn't all that impressive at all-I probably couldn't squat 500 to save my life but as long as I keep on progressing on this movement I think it's ok to use as an alternative to squating.  Really take the weight I list on this movement with a grain of salt, I don't know what the ratio works out to be if I was using free weights but it's the best I can do with my back problems.

Hammer strength makes a version of it, I use the precor version which I don't like as much to tell the truth.
nasser=piece of shit

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #352 on: June 15, 2007, 10:57:53 AM »
it's like a vertical hack squat machine, it has a pad so I can brace my upper body againts it and it's alot easier on the back, I hardly ever have any back problems after using it.  In reality 500lbs doesn't even feel that heavy so the weight I'm moving on it probably isn't all that impressive at all-I probably couldn't squat 500 to save my life but as long as I keep on progressing on this movement I think it's ok to use as an alternative to squating.  Really take the weight I list on this movement with a grain of salt, I don't know what the ratio works out to be if I was using free weights but it's the best I can do with my back problems.

Hammer strength makes a version of it, I use the precor version which I don't like as much to tell the truth.

thanx al.

your attitude is spot on. it really doesn't matter what exercise it is and what you lift on it (unless you're a competitive p/lifter), progression is what it's all about.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: June 15, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »

You like that machine?  ???  Man I'd burn that bitch to the ground if I could. We have one of those and it's horrible!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: June 15, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »
You like that machine?  ???  Man I'd burn that bitch to the ground if I could. We have one of those and it's horrible!

it's not that I "like" it, it's using what is availible to me, what doesn't hurt my back and what I feel I can progress on.  I prolly could do smith machine squats which I did for awhile, legs close together and in front of me, always going ass to ankles but once I got to the point where I was moving decent weight I started to worry about my back flaring up...with this machine there have been little to no issues so far, once I max out on it I'll prolly never look at it again.  my favorite saying:

"The Ends justify the means"

says it all in regards to some of the stuff I do.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: June 18, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »
hot as hell again today...damn ??? ???

hammer inclines-160*33RP, 25 second static.

Hammer Shoulder Press-150lbs a side, done unilaterally for 12 reps rest paused a side, no static or partials.

Close Grip-245*16RP

I did 60 second stretches for each BP and I did my chest widowmaker, 40lbs for 29 reps.  Lost at least 2lbs of sweat, it's hot as hell out there right now.
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: June 18, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »
barbell close grips or Smith close grips?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: June 18, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
barbell close grips or Smith close grips?

smith...sorry, I know I let you down.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »
did 2 back workouts last week I didn't record on Monday and Friday, pretty basic stuff.

I was supposed to do quads today but I actually don't feel well or I'm a little burnt, lots of stuff going on at work and at home so I"m gonna hit it tomorrow.  I just couldn't get fired up to go in and hammer legs today, don't know why.....tomorrow will be better.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2007, 10:15:53 AM »
did 2 back workouts last week I didn't record on Monday and Friday, pretty basic stuff.

I was supposed to do quads today but I actually don't feel well or I'm a little burnt, lots of stuff going on at work and at home so I"m gonna hit it tomorrow.  I just couldn't get fired up to go in and hammer legs today, don't know why.....tomorrow will be better.

Sounds like a good call. Just take it sleezy today buddy. Looks like a good time to grab a corndog and a cold beer.  ;D

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: June 19, 2007, 12:28:08 PM »
Sounds like a good call. Just take it sleezy today buddy. Looks like a good time to grab a corndog and a cold beer.  ;D

I've got to beat my 330*5 on the hack squat...not looking forward to that one but what the hell, what's the worst thing that could happen?  I'm gonna kick that machine's ass tomorrow, it's gonna be an epic pounding plus it's supposed to be about 18 degrees cooler, I've got asthma so extreme cold and extreme heat really mess with my lungs so it should be a good day to kick ass.
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: June 19, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
smith...sorry, I know I let you down.
no reason to assume things Al, that's still impressive.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2007, 12:54:09 PM »
no reason to assume things Al, that's still impressive.

thank you.  I'm actually really disappointed with this movement, I've moved a ton of weight on it in the past and I seem to just not be able to get it done on it right now, don't know why.  I should be gettting at least 20-25 reps rest paused with this type of weight but I just can't do it anymore...maybe I'm getting old ???
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2007, 01:05:10 PM »
thank you.  I'm actually really disappointed with this movement, I've moved a ton of weight on it in the past and I seem to just not be able to get it done on it right now, don't know why.  I should be gettting at least 20-25 reps rest paused with this type of weight but I just can't do it anymore...maybe I'm getting old ???
i love barbell close grips, my favorite triceps movement.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: June 19, 2007, 01:38:51 PM »
I've got to beat my 330*5 on the hack squat...not looking forward to that one but what the hell, what's the worst thing that could happen?  I'm gonna kick that machine's ass tomorrow, it's gonna be an epic pounding plus it's supposed to be about 18 degrees cooler, I've got asthma so extreme cold and extreme heat really mess with my lungs so it should be a good day to kick ass.

Make it happen baby!!! We need to get out of our own way sometimes! Kick ass and take names! MAybe it's time to bring ol'painless out the bag! ;) :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: June 19, 2007, 01:40:10 PM »

Okay grandpa unless you're being pushed around on a walker, I don't want to hear your whining! ;D

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #366 on: June 19, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »
I've got asthma so extreme cold and extreme heat really mess with my lungs
Yeah my missus has the same problem, i wanted to get her some Bronkaid to help with it as well as fat burning, but you can't get anything like that over here. Asthma can suck at times, just have to be aware of it i think  :).

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #367 on: June 19, 2007, 04:23:29 PM »
Okay grandpa unless you're being pushed around on a walker, I don't want to hear your whining! ;D

I swear Wicked should have his own show like "fat camp" or "the biggest loser" or something lol  ;D.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: June 19, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »
I swear Wicked should have his own show like "fat camp" or "the biggest loser" or something lol  ;D.

LOL I think you need some kinda skinny billy blanks look alike for that kinda job don't you?! :D I might ned to be on one of those shows when it comes time to cut down myself! :D

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2007, 10:42:30 AM »
felt like shit again this morning but about an hour before I was gonna train I popped 400mg of caffine and a broncaid that I had left over from a few weeks ago where I was fooling around with the eca stack.  Let's just say by the time I walked into the gym I was fired up, plus I'm using a new supplement that I got from Dante so I was pumped.

for calves I decided to drop the standing calf raises on the smith machine, to much pressure on my back, it's just not comfortable and one of my goals when picking movements is to take away all the "fat" from the movement-meaning anything that's gonna take away from the effectiveness of the movement.  I went with 1 legged donkey calf raises.  My first choice would have been 1 legged raises with a db but with that you run into holding the DB for long periods of time and sooner or later my grip is gonna give out before my calves do-my grip blows :-X

I got 12/13 reps with each leg using 140lbs, I also did partials to failure-about 20 reps each, from start to finish the sets took me about 8 minutes total, with about 30 seconds rest between legs so each leg took about 4 minutes just to give you an idea of the cadence I use for these.

I got 30 reps with 150lbs on the seated leg curl using 150lbs, 10lbs increase and I did a 30 second static at the end.

I got 7 reps with 340lbs on the hack squat, nice slow negatives, ass to ankles.  I failed on the 8th rep got out of the machine and had to sit down cause I thought I was gonna faint.  I literally put everything I had into those.  After a few minutes rest I got 22 reps with 280lbs on the icarian leg press, I ALMOST threw up but I went over and did my stretches.

good workout, tomorrow is bi's and back and I'm already getting pumped for it.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #370 on: June 20, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »
felt like shit again this morning but about an hour before I was gonna train I popped 400mg of caffine and a broncaid that I had left over from a few weeks ago where I was fooling around with the eca stack.  Let's just say by the time I walked into the gym I was fired up, plus I'm using a new supplement that I got from Dante so I was pumped.

for calves I decided to drop the standing calf raises on the smith machine, to much pressure on my back, it's just not comfortable and one of my goals when picking movements is to take away all the "fat" from the movement-meaning anything that's gonna take away from the effectiveness of the movement.  I went with 1 legged donkey calf raises.  My first choice would have been 1 legged raises with a db but with that you run into holding the DB for long periods of time and sooner or later my grip is gonna give out before my calves do-my grip blows :-X

I got 12/13 reps with each leg using 140lbs, I also did partials to failure-about 20 reps each, from start to finish the sets took me about 8 minutes total, with about 30 seconds rest between legs so each leg took about 4 minutes just to give you an idea of the cadence I use for these.

I got 30 reps with 150lbs on the seated leg curl using 150lbs, 10lbs increase and I did a 30 second static at the end.

I got 7 reps with 340lbs on the hack squat, nice slow negatives, ass to ankles.  I failed on the 8th rep got out of the machine and had to sit down cause I thought I was gonna faint.  I literally put everything I had into those.  After a few minutes rest I got 22 reps with 280lbs on the icarian leg press, I ALMOST threw up but I went over and did my stretches.

Good work bro.

I still cant get that quad stretch down?!

How do u do ur donkey calf raises??
I did DB raises today, used straps to keep DB in hand.

Was gonna ask ur opinion on straps, iv stayed away from them on regular deadlifts in attempt to work my grip aswell.

Got another Deadlift record for 6 reps on monday, but almost lost it with my grip (was considering going for 8 reps), if i used straps i think i could bump weight up straight away as its not my back or legs that weaken First, its my grip.

Maxed out another machine bro (yey for me lol).

Thats now leg raise, leg press (2 legs), leg press (one leg), Pulldowns palms facing shoulder width grip, Pulldowns palms facing close grip.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: June 21, 2007, 07:48:46 AM »
sorry davie, I'm swamped at work and at home, I'll have to get back to you on that one, ask me again next week if I forget.  I'll be skipping training for a couple of days, might be able to squeeze in 1 this weekend, we'll see. 
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: June 26, 2007, 06:21:17 AM »
I actually did manage to make it into the gym over the last couple of days but I've been so swamped I haven't been able to update anything.  Highlights were I got 26 reps rest paused with 250lbs on the decline press and I did a ton of dips with 50lbs of assistance, somewhere around 40 which is way more than I thought I would get but I've always been a great dipper.  Lowlight was having to leave the gym yesturday cause I couldn't catch my breath and I left my inhaler at home...asthma sucks >:(

that's only the 2nd time that's ever happened but it still steams me.

I'll try to get back ontrack with the updates next week.....
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »

SOMEONE MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS! WTG MAN! you blew that goal of 330 for 5 out of the water by 7 reps and 10lbs!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
snuck in a WO today...

Inclines on a smith-245*26RP, no static... failed getting up the 27th.
           I did my WM movement, 45*22 reps straight setted.

Press Behind the Neck-135*34RP >:(...I thought I had 145lbs on it but I forgot to put the 5's on.  It's only the 2nd time I've done them so I don't have a feel for them yet.

Overhead Rope Extentions-55-28RP.

I did my stretches and that was it.
nasser=piece of shit