Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 182253 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #475 on: August 25, 2007, 06:05:13 AM »
intesting....with the clock concept. I like that alot, I might have mis-spoke about the max limit on the leg press, I think it might be 900, it's actually a plate loaded 45 degree machine but it's by a small company so I don't think it's the best made piece of equipment on the planet, I'll check it out today.

hey, wicked....I know I said I'd do some stuff for you with looking at your routine and all and I totally forgot, sorry man.

LOL don't feel bad...

I actually forgot too! I know you're busy bro...lol my feelers aren't too hurt! ;D

When you make weight jumps after hitting the targeted number of reps...how much do you jump? 5-10lbs?!?1

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #476 on: August 25, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »
LOL don't feel bad...

I actually forgot too! I know you're busy bro...lol my feelers aren't too hurt! ;D

When you make weight jumps after hitting the targeted number of reps...how much do you jump? 5-10lbs?!?1

I tend to make smaller jumps than what I probably should which is kinda againts the DC protocol in a way.  Usually a 10lbs jump on a machine or a BB movement or a 5lbs DB jump, somethings I'll just do a 2.5lbs jump.  I've been thinking of going to the store and buying a 1.25lbs set of plates and taking them with me so for a movement like my toe press where I'm really at the limit I can make a nice easy little jump and try to stretch out the movement as much as possible.  I mean if you make small enough jumps you should realistically be able to gain strength on a continual basis for along time....or at least that's the way I undersstand it.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #477 on: August 25, 2007, 07:58:24 AM »
I tend to make smaller jumps than what I probably should which is kinda againts the DC protocol in a way.  Usually a 10lbs jump on a machine or a BB movement or a 5lbs DB jump, somethings I'll just do a 2.5lbs jump.  I've been thinking of going to the store and buying a 1.25lbs set of plates and taking them with me so for a movement like my toe press where I'm really at the limit I can make a nice easy little jump and try to stretch out the movement as much as possible.  I mean if you make small enough jumps you should realistically be able to gain strength on a continual basis for along time....or at least that's the way I undersstand it.

Makes sense. Since I'm kinda feeling out the weights I need to be using training like this I'm slowly feeling them out to find out what I shoud be doing. Hitting 20+reps with certain weights is ridiculous in my book and I feel like I'm not really working when it ends up being THAT easily. Alot of my lifts are going to go up about 10lbs or so to see if once I actually HIT a 15 rep r/p set if that's the next jump I need to make.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »
Makes sense. Since I'm kinda feeling out the weights I need to be using training like this I'm slowly feeling them out to find out what I shoud be doing. Hitting 20+reps with certain weights is ridiculous in my book and I feel like I'm not really working when it ends up being THAT easily. Alot of my lifts are going to go up about 10lbs or so to see if once I actually HIT a 15 rep r/p set if that's the next jump I need to make.

well if you keep pushing for 20 reps everytime eventually the weight is gonna get really impressive, I go to failure and for my last blast and this one so far I always shoot for 20 reps for the first go, I dont' always hit it but it's kinda a mental thing, if I say "well I hope I get 8" chances are I'm gonna stop at 8, weither it's a conscience descision or a subconscoious one, this way if I shhot for 20 and I fail at 18 I know I gave it everything I had.  I'm kinda tricking myself ;D

some of the weights I use are not what they used to be but I'm almost doubling my reps by the time I get back to where I should be.

it's all a learning experience 8)
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #479 on: August 26, 2007, 10:31:01 AM »
yesturday I did:

Flat DB Press-60*31RP with a deep 2 second stretch on every rep and a nice slow negative, I also did about a 25 second static.

lateral machine-50*31RP, with a static.

dip machine-110*33RP, no static

assisted pull ups-50lbs of assistance for 31 reps rest paused and a static

paramount rows-stack*10, 13 plates for 12 reps

90 econd stretch for chest and 1 minute for everything else.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #480 on: August 28, 2007, 04:28:54 AM »
hit it yesturday and had a "wierd" workout....I'm using alot of new equipment and it's very strange how much different this stuff feels, I was using the hammer calf sled and using more than 400lbs-or right around there, maybe it was 385ish, I don't remember but I could only get 12 with 150lbs on the paramount version ??? and that was heavy as hell, the angle is alot different so maybe that's it but still it was just weird.

Drag Curls-95*41RP with a static, I changed the way I'm doing these and I just wanted to make sure I held my new form so I went a little lighter than I should have but next time I'm gonna bump it up 15lbs and see what happens, I wasn't really happy with how light this actually seemed but I was already into the set so I just went with it.

Hammer curls, I was going for 1 straight set with like the 35's for about 30 reps, I decided to rest pause these and go a little heavier, I grabbed the 50's and went one arm at a time, I got 25 with my left and 32 with my right, I was thinking I'd probably get about 20 so this was pretty good.

calfl sled-I already talked about this one....strange.

seated leg curl-110*32RP, another new machine, it was either paramount or precor and the weight was pretty damn heavy, I was up to 170 on the last machine I used and this felt just as heavy...oh well, hams are sore as hell so maybe this is for the better.

Squat-yep, I actually squated.  I just put 225 on the bar and wanted to see how my back held up, I ended up getting 20 reps, ass to ankles, my back wasn't to happy but I'm gonna stick with it and see what happens, probably could have went heavier but again, I gotta protect the back.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2007, 05:10:13 AM »
for the past couple of days I've been getting ready to hit some heavy declines for my chest, I figured I'd bump the weight up to around 285ish and go for 12RRP, my intent was to throw in a really heavy movement since I've changed so much with my chest training....basically everything has a really deep stretch held for a slow 2 count, reps are high-in the 30ish range...anyway, I was walking in and I thought, this is stupid...my chest is finally starting to grow, why not go with what I've been doing?  So I set up an Incline and grabbed a set of DB's just to see how they would feel, nice slow negative, deep stretch held for a 2 count and explode up...anyway I ended up getting 32 reps with the 50's and I don't know if it was the angle or if everything was aligned right or what but I've never felt my pecs work that hard in my life, I've inclined the 130's for 4 reps and I'd take this anyday of the week.  I'm very glad I decided to go with my instincts instead of just doing something to move heavy weight.

second I went on the regular seated db press-I have not done these in years, lighter weight than I have done in the past but again I got 30ish reps and worked really hard.

tri's-I tried a new paramount press down machine, 1 straight set for 30 reps, I used 6 plates...whatever weight that is but I wanted to see how this felt cause it seemed like it would be awkward but it was pretty decent.

Quote from: Doggcrapp;423848
lat width: If some of you guys really realized lat width is all about the stretch and only secondarily pulling that weight down so you can call it a rep, you would be such the better bodybuilder for it. I guess thats all im going to really say on that subject....you want to overthink lat width here ill give you something to think about.....you know that last 12 inches or so on the return (eccentric) of a various form of chin or pulldown? Overthink that on how to work that hard (flaring/leaning back against the return/resisting against it/stretching against the return) instead of just "getting to the top so you can start your pull again "and youll end up a very happy man. Take that to the bank.

I was going to keep going but im getting tired (time for bed)--maybe ill keep going tommorow

I read that quote earlier yesturday so I went in to do a variation of pull ups that DC talked about a few months ago, I really slowed down the first part of the negative, got a stretch and exploded up...I used about 60lbs of assistance, got about 26 reps rest paused and just felt destroyed...

I then did a new thickness technique I'm trying, it was suggested to me by a friend a few years ago, this guy is a competitor and trains a bunch of people, I can't describe it yet but it was murder....

I was supposed to do abs but I was trashed so I sat in the hot tub for 25 minutes, drank a protien and gatorade shake and went home and crashed.....sorry for the long descriptions....
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2007, 05:55:09 AM »
sounds like someone's getting back in the groove of things!  ;D

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »
sounds like someone's getting back in the groove of things!  ;D

The real challenge will be can I get to the gym with the kids in school?  we'll see.  I'm only really hitting it twice a week during the week and once on the weekend so I should be able to do it but kids have alot fo stuff going on.  I'm buying a bike for the house so I won't need to go anywhere for cardio...just the weights.  I'm thiking of picking up some extra whey and creatine...who knows?  I haven't used creatine in years so it should be fun.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »
Paramount Curl Machine:  I couldn't tell how much I was using the plates aren't marked, I used 6 of them so i'm guessing it was either 60 or 75lbs cause I think they go in 15lbs increments but I'm not sure, anyway I got 31 reps rest paused and a static.

wrist curl-75lbs for 31 reps rest paused

1 leg toe press, not alot of weight, same machine as I used the other day, I used 5 plates....this machine is really rough.  I got 10 reps with each leg done DC style and it was a killer.

stiff leg deadlifts, I had to improvise cause I swear I had access to a lying leg curl but it wasn't there so they must have gotten rid of it, I grabbed to 40lbs DB and went as deep as I could, held it for a 2 count and came up...great stretch.  I did 20 reps in straight set fashion.

Front squats-I havent' done these in about 10 years, 135*20 just to see what happened.  I like em, gonna take it slow until I get used to them.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2007, 07:53:12 PM »
looking good in here buddy! WAY TO BRING THE PAIN!!! you liking being back in teh gym?!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #486 on: September 04, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
dips-45lbs of assistance, got 31 reps rest paused and a 30 second static...got a good 2 count deeeeep stretch at the bottom felt great after these.

wide grip upright row-60*38 rest paused with a static, gotta bump it up another 20lbs cause this was still really light but that's ok, just getting started with them.

overhead rope extentions-60*28, got 5 more reps than last time so I'm gonna bump the weight up next workout.

Paramount Pulldowns-130-29, got 6 more reps so gonna bump it up again, I did a static but don't remember how long it was.

I did another unuasual thickness movement, I dont' want to get into it yet on here until I figure out if I think it works or not.

I've got a summer cold too so I feel like shit right now, headache.....sleept like shit....damn.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2007, 07:20:23 AM »
even though I have a summer cold I hit it yesturday:

2 hand hammer curls-65*32RP with a static of about 25 seconds

reverse grip curl-50*34RP with a static

toe press-580*12 done in DC fashion...killer, no partials.

sumo leg press-620*15SS with a 20 second static

leg press-I was gonna do 425*50 I set up the machine and started going but it seemed so f'n heavy, by 30 reps I was dying so I racked it and when I stood up I realized I had left 2 45's on from my sumo press so that sucked cause I really couldn't figure out what was going on during the set.

I did a static hold on the leg extention machine 145lbs for 90 seconds......
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:16 AM »
Big al how many RP exercises do you do for arms?!  ???

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2007, 07:34:48 AM »
Big al how many RP exercises do you do for arms?!  ???

1 movement for bi's with 3 rest pause intervals and the same for forearms...so yesturday I did 2 total movements for my arms.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »
1 movement for bi's with 3 rest pause intervals and the same for forearms...so yesturday I did 2 total movements for my arms.

Really? You think 3 exercises for bi's and tri's on their own day training with RP intensity is a bad idea?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:26 AM »
Really? You think 3 exercises for bi's and tri's on their own day training with RP intensity is a bad idea?

depends, are you progressing?  You have to work in the limits your body dictates....if you can do what your doing and recover and make consistant gains then it's fine.  One of the biggest mistakes I made back when I was first starting out with a "hardcore" lifting regimine was to take dorians blood and guts routine and say "well he's doing one set with 3 drops...I think I need 3 sets of that" instead of trying to bust my balls on the one set like Dorian did. 
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #492 on: September 10, 2007, 04:58:06 AM »
decent workout this weekend, chest is SORE..

flat DB Press-65*28RP, 2 count stretch at the bottom of each rep as deep as I could, I didn't start the really slow neagative's until I was already into the set-just kinda forgot but man, I think my chest is finally starting to show some life.

lateral raise machine-55lbs for 29 reps RP, slooooooow negatives...great set, I did about a 30 second static on both of those first 2 movements.

dip machine-120*34RP.....

assisted pull ups-45lbs of assistance, done with a super duper slow negative, I got 27 reps, these really were a killer.

I kept up with my thickness strategy, I'm taking something DC wrote about over on IM a while ago and combining it with something my friend suggested to me.

I also did abs done in Max-ot style, 2 sets of weighted reverse crunches 15-18 reps and 2 sets of paramount machine crunches.

I've been doing cardio...everything is going good.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #493 on: September 12, 2007, 04:50:44 AM »
drag curls-110*31RP with a long static, prolly 30 seconds

hammer curls-55*22-24RP, got more with my left arm this time....

calf sled-130*12 done in DC style, this machine is really a killer

seated leg curl-120*27RP, again it's a new machine and the weight distribution is different, this was rough...did a 23 second static at the end.

squat-185*27 straight setted, I dont' know if it was something I ate or what but I did not feel good at all when I was done with this, real deep sweat and I was shaking pretty bad, I did my stretches and got out of there, felt sick for a couple of hours afterwards....
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #494 on: September 14, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
incline DB Press-65*28RP, nice 2-3 second deep stretch with every rep, got a static but lost track of how long it was.

Seated DB Press-60*25RP with a static

Paramount Pressdown Machine-60 Plates for 35RP

assisted chins done DC style-65lbs of assistance, I actually read my logbook wrong and I should have gone down to 55lbs but I added 5lbs instead of taking away....it was confusing at the time...anyway, I got 27 reps, super slow negatives.

Kept up with my back thickness experiment, back is sore today so I hope it's working.

no abs cause I was low on time, might hit them today or tomorrow.  I'm actually starting to lean out a little so that's cool.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2007, 06:10:31 AM »
I had a couple of good workouts this past weekend, I got in a bi, forearm, calf and leg workout on Friday, it was very rushed but it went ok.  I also got in a killer workout on Sunday in the afternoon, dips, wide grip upright rows, overhead pressdowns and some back work. 

everything has been going well, I'm about 195 and actually leaning out at a pretty decent rate.  I still have a ways to go, abs are alot more visable now but I really want them to stand out.  I'd like to cruise around at about 10%BF, I'm not that far above that right now. 

I looked at pics of Dave Henry from the pro show this past weenend and it fired me up, he's about the highest profile DC guy out there and he looked f'n huge.  I'm gonna start doing some poundage jumps at a more aggresive rate.  Back is alot better so hopefully it'll go well.

Sorry, I don't have my book with me to write out exactly what I did last weekend....
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #496 on: September 20, 2007, 04:36:02 AM »
got in a workout yesturday but I was really rushed...

2 hand hammers-70*31RP with a static....you should see the looks I get when I do these, people have no idea what I'm doing..he he.

reverse grip curl-70*34RP with a static

I was supposed to do toe presses on the leg press and sumo presses but someone was hogging the machine so I did:

paramount toe presses-140*30RP, this is the same machine I've been using...I decided to try a technique that DC talked about that he has some guys use, instead of a 15 second stretch on each rep for 12-15 straight setted reps I did a 3 second stretch and rest paused it to 30 reps.  I don't know if I liked it as much but it was a nice change and for this machine it might work out better.

I did stiff legged deadlifts with a pair of 35lbs DB's...I stretch as deep as I can and hold it for 2 seconds and then come up really slow.  I'm gonna start doing these on the edge of a bench so I can go even deeper cause as it is I can touch the DB's to the floor.  This is something I just kinda made up on the spot a couple weeks ago so I don't know if I'll be keeping it.

Leg press-425*51 reps straight setted.  The legpress I have has a 900lbs limit so I had to imrpovise, I figured 50 rep sets would allow me to really hammer my thighs and as long as I keep adding weight I'll be fine.  these are a killer...at 30 reps my outer thghs started to cramp, at 50 my entire quad was cramping.  No racking the weight, if I need to I'll hold it and take some deep breaths but that's it.

stretches followed, skipped cardio today :(
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #497 on: September 24, 2007, 12:14:04 PM »
good workout on Friday:

DB Press-70*24RP, did these with a 2 second stretch at the bottom, I also did a static but not sure how long.  The weight is starting to get a little heavier for me and my elbow hurt a little the next day.  I'm stretching as deep as I can so these are a killer. 

lateral Machine-57.5*29RP with a static, again I'm concentrating alot more on the negative portion of the movement, nice and s.....l.....o.....w.

Machine Dips-140*23RP, 20lbs jump

assisted pull ups-I dont' remember how much I used for assistance, I know it was 5lbs less than last time, I got over 20 reps rest paused, probably about 27.  I am going super duper slow on the negative.  Lats were really sore the next day.

I also did my thickness stuff.  Not sure how it's working yet.....
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #498 on: September 27, 2007, 02:04:20 PM »
getting in to train has been rough for the last week or so, no time at all but that's what happens when you have kids ;D

anyway here's what I did the other day:

Drag Curls-115*31RP with a 22 second static

hammer curls-65*22 with my right and 24 with my left, I didn't do the negative's as slow as I would have liked.

toe press-610*10 done DC fashion....again I fucking added wrong and thought I had about 585 on it then I realized I had an extra 25 pounder on it...seems like I just can't keep the weight straight on this leg press...oh well, next time it's 610 for 12 8)

sumo press-610*15 SS no static..

squat-195*22 straight set...I'm not much of a squatter so this is just to get me back into it and get my body used to the movement again, I'm gonna up it 10lbs a workout and as long as my back holds out I'll stick with it...we'll see what happens.
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #499 on: September 27, 2007, 02:09:54 PM »
24 reps with the 70's is pretty damn good Al, how many do you get on your first go around?