Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 181675 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #500 on: September 27, 2007, 02:30:06 PM »
24 reps with the 70's is pretty damn good Al, how many do you get on your first go around?
I "think" I got 30 with the 65's so I upped the weight, I go really deep with these and try to hold it for a 2 count-1 onethousanth, 2 one thousanth and go from there.  My chest blows, plain and simple but it's come up a little since I started these as my main way of working the pecs.....they're rest paused so I think I got 15 or 16..lol, I just understood what you were asking...I thought you meant how many did I get the first time I used the 70's...nevermind..I got 15 or 16 on my first go but it was hell for the last few.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #501 on: September 29, 2007, 11:34:29 AM »
Al are these flat DB presses??

I know dante and alot of DC guys arent huge fans of BB flat press, i take it Db alternative isnt so frowned upon??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #502 on: September 29, 2007, 12:42:19 PM »
Al are these flat DB presses??

I know dante and alot of DC guys arent huge fans of BB flat press, i take it Db alternative isnt so frowned upon??

davie
shoulder presses, shit Al is a lot stronger than 70's on flat bench, 70's are pathetic for flat benches.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #503 on: September 29, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »
shoulder presses, shit Al is a lot stronger than 70's on flat bench, 70's are pathetic for flat benches.
Read the post at the top, he's doing flat benches but a different way.
follow the arrows

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2007, 07:32:24 AM »
Read the post at the top, he's doing flat benches but a different way.

I bring the DB's down as low as possible, way past my chest and hold it for 2 seconds getting as deeeeep a stretch as possible, exploding up and coming down really slow.  It's not an ego thing if it was I could throw around the 130's if I had them, I'd only get 4-5 reps but what would that accomplish?  I did heavy DB work for years and it did nothing so I'm trying this, I use the same technique on dips and inclines....deep a stretch as possible for 2 seconds with a super slow negative.  Plus I amped the rep range up to 20-30, this is allowing me to really work to failure....yeah the 70's are light but considering how I'm doing them they get pretty heavy.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #505 on: October 02, 2007, 09:39:52 AM »
Went in yesturday:

assisted dips-35lbs for 25 repsRP and a static.

wide grip upright rows-80*31RP with a static

overhead tri extentions-65*26RP

paramount pulldowns-145*24RP

stayed the course with my thickness stuff for back.

did my stretches.....tough workout.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #506 on: October 05, 2007, 04:16:29 AM »
trained wedsday:

2 hand hammer curls-75*28rp, with a 20 second static

reverse curl-75*31RP..no static

toe press-610*11, got another rep..very heavy.  This might be where I max out on this movement.

sumo press-610*15SS, no static, my left knee was bothering me a little.

leg press-435*50 straight setted, my feet actually started to cramp at the end.  I didn't feel it as much as I did the other day.  50 reps is alot for me, I'm not really used to using this many reps.  I don't know if I'm gonna stick with this or change it up.

I did 2 sets on the paramount crunch machine afterwards...I was totally burnt so I didn't do a total ab workout.  I'll probably pick up the slack today.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2007, 05:23:16 AM »
did chest, shoulders, tri's and back on Saturday, nothing really out of the norm from what I've been doing.  Poundages went up as expected.  Reps stayed in the same range they've been so it went well.

Yesturday I did:

drag curls-120-32RP with a static

hammer curls-65*22/24...more with my right than my left.

calfs-paramount calf machine 150*31 rest paused.  Done different than the usual DC style but with this machine I just couldn't do it....don't know if it's the angle or what.

seated leg curl-110*30RP..I shoulda used 115 but I read the logbook wrong...oh, well.

I squatted, moved up 10lbs and got 20 reps ass to ankles so that was good.  I do a static hold on the leg extention machine, 145lbs for 1 minute.  I don't do a widowmaker when I do high rep work like I've been. when my poundages get up to the range where I can only get 6-10 reps then I'll start using a widowmaker, probably front squats...starting really light for 25 reps and going up.  that's just my initial thought so it could change. 
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #508 on: October 10, 2007, 06:45:45 AM »
GOT SOME GOOD SHIT GOING DOWN IN HERE BIG AL! GOOD TO SEE YOU IN HERE TEARING THE GYM THE FUCK UP!! SEE..even you old guys can hang with teh young guns! HAHA! You said you wanted to try and get over 210 or so. Are you climbing up in weight at all yet?!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #509 on: October 10, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
GOT SOME GOOD SHIT GOING DOWN IN HERE BIG AL! GOOD TO SEE YOU IN HERE TEARING THE GYM THE FUCK UP!! SEE..even you old guys can hang with teh young guns! HAHA! You said you wanted to try and get over 210 or so. Are you climbing up in weight at all yet?!
I'm not that old there buddy.....c'mon now.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #510 on: October 10, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »
I'm not that old there buddy.....c'mon now.

WHATEVER..we know the only time you get to play in the gym is when the old folks home let's you out for your hour of recess!  ;D :P

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »
Hey POPS I thought the point of DC was to get up to a maximum weight for every exercise! What's that I see with "assisted dips" crap?

Get your act together or else!
just push some weight!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2007, 06:50:15 AM »
Hey POPS I thought the point of DC was to get up to a maximum weight for every exercise! What's that I see with "assisted dips" crap?

Get your act together or else!
:-X :-X

I'm in my early 30's for God's sake ;D ;D ;D

to answer your question, I did the whole "move the heaviest weight possible for 12-15 reps rest paused" and it didn't work for my chest, my shoulders are pretty strong and they just take over the movement. What I decided to do was really emphasis a long, deep stretch on every rep-2-3 seconds as deep as I can go and then explode up and lower really slow.  I figured since I'm going for a stretch I'd go a little lighter and go for more reps, actually in the last few months alot of my routine drifted to the 30 rep rest paused work but as the weights start to get heavier I'm losing some reps here and there so it'll eventually get back to the standard stuff but hopefully I'll be a hell of alot stronger by then.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #513 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
Hey AL, hows it going?

I like ur idea of higher reps thn slowly lowering them as weight gets higher.

Question to u about shoulders.... im currently doing DB press (seated), standing power laterals, seated BNP.

Was wandering ur opinion of push press??

+

I had been doing upright rows, then switched to power laterls. Have u any other worthwhile favourites for side delts??

ALSO....as im currently not doing dead lifts (did 2 1/2 blasts of them and want to rest lower back). And b/c of this im not really getting any good trap work, so im thinking of either adding a shrugging movement to either shoulder day Or as a back thickness movement??

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #514 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »
Hey AL, hows it going?

I like ur idea of higher reps thn slowly lowering them as weight gets higher.

Question to u about shoulders.... im currently doing DB press (seated), standing power laterals, seated BNP.

Was wandering ur opinion of push press??

+

I had been doing upright rows, then switched to power laterls. Have u any other worthwhile favourites for side delts??

ALSO....as im currently not doing dead lifts (did 2 1/2 blasts of them and want to rest lower back). And b/c of this im not really getting any good trap work, so im thinking of either adding a shrugging movement to either shoulder day Or as a back thickness movement??

davie
I can't do a push press, to much pressure on the low back, I don't really know anyone that uses it in this type of routine but I could be wrong. 

if I was gonna add a shrug I'd do it on shoulder day and it would be one heavy set for 20 reps, I did it and I worked up to DB shrugs with the 130's for 1 straight set of 30 reps that was over a long period of time, start out a little lighter and just go to failure, keep pushing the weight up until you top out at about 15 reps for a straight set then switch up the movement if you still think your traps need work. 
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2007, 11:00:57 AM »
I can't do a push press, to much pressure on the low back, I don't really know anyone that uses it in this type of routine but I could be wrong. 

if I was gonna add a shrug I'd do it on shoulder day and it would be one heavy set for 20 reps, I did it and I worked up to DB shrugs with the 130's for 1 straight set of 30 reps that was over a long period of time, start out a little lighter and just go to failure, keep pushing the weight up until you top out at about 15 reps for a straight set then switch up the movement if you still think your traps need work. 

Thanks mate, im happy with what im doing right now, but wandered if in the future push press might be an option, just curious. Normal seated military seams to hurt my shoulders (well it did last time, but that might have been due to lifting in rugby lineouts to).

SO with the shrugs u got 30 reps with 130's then kept adding weight until u had to drop reps steadily down to 15 reps??

Did it work for u? I dont think my traps are too bad,but they got better through working them, and now im not really.

About the side lateral question, have u any other grat side delt moves. DOnt need any right now, but mayb next blast?!

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #516 on: October 16, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Thanks mate, im happy with what im doing right now, but wandered if in the future push press might be an option, just curious. Normal seated military seams to hurt my shoulders (well it did last time, but that might have been due to lifting in rugby lineouts to).

SO with the shrugs u got 30 reps with 130's then kept adding weight until u had to drop reps steadily down to 15 reps??

Did it work for u? I dont think my traps are too bad,but they got better through working them, and now im not really.

About the side lateral question, have u any other grat side delt moves. DOnt need any right now, but mayb next blast?!

davie
130'S were the heaviest weights-dumbbell's-I had access to, I worked up to 30 reps and then I just stopped doing them, I figured how many more reps was I gonna get?  didn't seem worthwhile to keep going.  I dont' really need them cause I wrestled for years and did alot of bridging...
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #517 on: October 16, 2007, 01:31:32 PM »
130'S were the heaviest weights-dumbbell's-I had access to, I worked up to 30 reps and then I just stopped doing them, I figured how many more reps was I gonna get?  didn't seem worthwhile to keep going.  I dont' really need them cause I wrestled for years and did alot of bridging...

Cheers mate, il probs do BB shrugs infront of body, but not until i stall on an exercise. Like i said im doing DB press, power laterals and BNP as my shoulder work at the mo?!

Basics really. Though not 100% sure wether to go back to upright row for side delts after i stall on power laterals?!

HAve to say i like ur chest idea. Im doing incline BB, decline BB, and starting 2moro, dips.

So wanting to kick ass on them 2moz.

Hows it all going with u??

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »
Cheers mate, il probs do BB shrugs infront of body, but not until i stall on an exercise. Like i said im doing DB press, power laterals and BNP as my shoulder work at the mo?!

Basics really. Though not 100% sure wether to go back to upright row for side delts after i stall on power laterals?!

HAve to say i like ur chest idea. Im doing incline BB, decline BB, and starting 2moro, dips.

So wanting to kick ass on them 2moz.

Hows it all going with u??

davie
it's all good, busy as heck with the kids both in school.  Just getting to the gym is rough but I've been making it so that's good.  I'm working on getting "in shape" since I might compete next year..who knows?  I'm at about 195 right now so I"ve lost some weight but I take it s-l-o-w so it'll be awhile before I'm ready to go out onstage.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2007, 04:51:28 AM »
it's all good, busy as heck with the kids both in school.  Just getting to the gym is rough but I've been making it so that's good.  I'm working on getting "in shape" since I might compete next year..who knows?  I'm at about 195 right now so I"ve lost some weight but I take it s-l-o-w so it'll be awhile before I'm ready to go out onstage.

Good for u, Im sure ud kick sum ass on stage, and after that u can say uv done it. Sense of achievement.

Did dips the other day, hard as im used to doing them for tris with elbows in looking straight ahead.

Kept head down on chest but found it hard really leaning foreward, also felt it in shoulders a bit, is that b/c i went to deep?
The dip bars we have rotate, there either closer to u (which naturally keeps ur elbows in) OR if rotate them out, ur hands r further from ur body and ur elbows naturally flare out. which should hit chest.

Upped low rep squat weight today for 1st time in few weeks, my targret rep number b4 i up weight is 6, i got 7 BOOOYA lol.

ALSO maxed out on DB SLDL's. DB's only go up to 40KG's, so i did 16,12,12 for 40RP'd reps.

All in all v good.

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #520 on: October 19, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »
with the dips I set the bars wider apart, head tucked into my chest and my feet are more out in front of me, I concentrate on pulling my elbows in if that makes any sense.

I hit it yesturday:

2 hand hammer curls-80*25RP with only a 12 second static

reverse curls-80*31RP

toe press-610*12 done DC style...holy cow were these f'n hard

sumo leg press-620-12SS with a static

leg press-440*50 and I did a couple of things I've been doing to finish off my legs and my stretches....things have been going well.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #521 on: October 19, 2007, 09:19:18 AM »
with the dips I set the bars wider apart, head tucked into my chest and my feet are more out in front of me, I concentrate on pulling my elbows in if that makes any sense.

I hit it yesturday:

2 hand hammer curls-80*25RP with only a 12 second static

reverse curls-80*31RP

toe press-610*12 done DC style...holy cow were these f'n hard

sumo leg press-620-12SS with a static

leg press-440*50 and I did a couple of things I've been doing to finish off my legs and my stretches....things have been going well.

still plug'n away in here old man?! numbers are looking good and getting stronger and stronger! The way you're doing your dumbbell presses is SICK!  :o

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #522 on: October 19, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
Good for u, Im sure ud kick sum ass on stage, and after that u can say uv done it. Sense of achievement.

Did dips the other day, hard as im used to doing them for tris with elbows in looking straight ahead.

Kept head down on chest but found it hard really leaning foreward, also felt it in shoulders a bit, is that b/c i went to deep?
The dip bars we have rotate, there either closer to u (which naturally keeps ur elbows in) OR if rotate them out, ur hands r further from ur body and ur elbows naturally flare out. which should hit chest.

Upped low rep squat weight today for 1st time in few weeks, my targret rep number b4 i up weight is 6, i got 7 BOOOYA lol.

ALSO maxed out on DB SLDL's. DB's only go up to 40KG's, so i did 16,12,12 for 40RP'd reps.

All in all v good.

davie
good shit, no point in training hammies with high reps though, its predominantly fast twitch. As a rule of thumb I never go above 10 reps on any leg curl movement, sldl's GM's GHR's are kept under 8 reps.
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #523 on: October 21, 2007, 03:46:28 AM »
good shit, no point in training hammies with high reps though, its predominantly fast twitch. As a rule of thumb I never go above 10 reps on any leg curl movement, sldl's GM's GHR's are kept under 8 reps.

Im v limited with what i can do for hammies, maxed out the db's. i do BB SLDL, and hammy leg press i dont really feel.

davie

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »
Im v limited with what i can do for hammies, maxed out the db's. i do BB SLDL, and hammy leg press i dont really feel.

davie
ton of exercises bro, Glute Ham Raise, Leg Curls, 1-legged Curls, 1-legged Db SLDL's, Good mornings (and all the variations), Weighted Hyper extensions, Reverse Hack Squats, Wide and High Hack Squats (+ Leg Presses), etc.
follow the arrows