Author Topic: JPM101 current training  (Read 134313 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: JPM101 current training
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
JPM, you remind me so much of a very good friend of mine who taught me the ABC's of "old-school."

He's about your age, and learned the craft from veterans 10-20 years his senior. I'm lucky that he has passed much of his knowledge on to me! I can honestly say that I have learned my fair share from you, as well!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
Montague

Humbly accept the props.  

Also got some very good information from older experienced BB'ers and lifters.  Like money in the bank that you can draw upon whenever needed. Have a background in sports (mostly football and a bit of rugby) & training, another thing to fall back on.

BB'ers were/are the most experimental and interesting when it came to training and life style, fairly close to being either complete idiots and genius ...sometimes that can blend together (my view only). Living in SoCal since I was 10, you get exposed to the sub culture of BB'ing very easily. More so, it seems, when living along the coast.

Old school/new school...either depends how the approach to each workout is handled.  Workouts that are brief and to the point seem to yield the better results. Training with serious intent is also a basic staple of success. Some guy's just stroke it and really not paying attention to what, or why, their doing this or that in a workout.

Thanks again...and of course Good Luck.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Currant workouts

Doing the Rest-Pause method.  A 10 to 12 second pause between reps. 3-4 minutes between sets. Reps tend to become higher than a normal workouts.  I list 20 reps, but at times could climb to 25-30 reps. Something you would have to experience if ever getting into this method of heavier training, to get what I mean. All sets are partial reps. With partial reps you are working the strongest (by far) position of muscle contraction. Also builds joint, tendon & ligament strength to a much higher level. The weight you use may come as an unexpected surprise to most guys. Benching 300? Might find yourself nearing the 350-360 range for partial reps. And heavier weight builds thicker muscle mass.

A)  BB Hack squats  4x12-20
     BB Shrugs  2x12-20
     Hi-pulls..slighter wider grip 2x20
     Chins...weighted  belt 2x12-20

Usually 2 to 3 days between the next workout, which is also Rest-Pause protocol.

B)   Bench..2x12-20
      Bench..closer grip (hand about 6-8 inches apart) 2x12-20.
      Standing overhead partial lockout press. Off a PR. (Paul Anderson used this method quite a bit, as did Bill March and other top pressers) .
      2x12-20.

Might suggest some research on the Partial rep or Rest_Pause if interested. The R-P or Partial don't haveto be used together, like I'm doing. Each can be used in a workout individually, by themselves. This is just a diferent slant on the way some guy's will combine them together.

Good Luck.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
Current

Pull workout   Tri sets..two cycles each, 6 sets total

1)   BB Shrug (off rack) 6-10 reps work for speed on reps

2)   Hi-pull Off (rack)  6-10 reps. Focus on speed and the trap squeeze at the top

3)  Up-right row EZ bar 6-12 reps

Push workout  Super Set 3 cycles

1) Dips, weighted start at dead stop (2 seconds) each rep  9-12reps

2)  Bench,keeping elbows nearest the body each rep. Start from dead stop (2 seconds) each rep. 9-12 resp

Lower body

1) Step-ups..BB on shoulders  12-15 reps  2 sets

2) Front bench squat   12-15 reps 2 sets

3) Platform jumps (bwt)  8-12 reps 2 sets  bwt , bwt onlyjust increase the platform heights a bit in advancing workouts.

4) GoodMornings  2 sets bar higher on shoulders-traps  2 sets bar resting on middle traps

Lower body done separate day.  Ab wheel after most workouts.

Good Luck.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »
Forgot to include DB side press to the Press workout I gave above.

DB side press...8-12 reps 3 sets.  This is done one arm at a time, with the free hand usually holding on to something to brace it. The DB is kept inline with the side of the body (elbows back) and can build up to some impressive weight after a while. This exercise is not included with the dip-bench SS's.

Saw a female lifter get some good reps with 120 db (part of her regular training)..impressive. So many serious women  on a equal par with a lot of men BB'ers..surprising I know.

Good Luck.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
The football seasons over (at least for me) and less travel, so have more time getting back into workouts.

Mon
Chins
(A) Hammer grip (thumbs facing he rear, middle hand spacing)
3X6-9 reps
(B) Curl grip.. (little less than shoulder width)
2X6-9 reps

(A) Press, overhead just before lockout, off of PR rack.
3X6-9 reps
(B) Press, overhead with a curl grip, medium width....2x6-9 reps. Want only to go about 4 to 6 inches about the level of the top of the head. Just my view, but too much unneeded tension is put on the shoulder girdle/joints  as the bar is lifted higher towards lockout position. Curl grips call upon the anterior delts a bit more than regular presses.

(C) Lateral raise  3x6-9 reps     lay on mat/bench, floor,etc... start with DB in front of body, raise just before the top overhead position (keeping tension on the delts) and lower behind he body all the way (more like a touch & go). than raise up overhead again and lower the DB to the front of the body (original position). That's one rep, of course.  Can also do this movement on a incline bench, your choice. Have done both versions with good results.

Wed.

(A) Sissy squats
2X15-20 reps..stretch unbelievable
(B) Bulgarian squat
3X10-12 reps
(C) Squat (heels on 2x4)
2X10-12 reps

Fri.

(A) Dips  4X6-9 reps  weighted
(B) Up-right rows. 3X6-9 reps
(C)  Trap bar shrugs  2X6-9 reps

I don't workout on the weekends, weekends are not meant for working out to my way of thinking. Nothing magical about the 6-9 reps range, just what I like to do. Usually 90 seconds between sets and 180 seconds between exercises. Keeping the pace up. Never go to failure, 1 or 2 reps short of that.

Good Luck.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »
Two of my friend and I have been on this style workout for a couple of weeks now. Push on Monday. Leg on Weds. Pull on Fri.

PUSH...where all three major pushing movements are included in this workout.
A)  1...Overhead BB press...push weight directly above the body.
     2...Flat BB bench....push weight out and in front of the body
     3...Dips (added weight)..your pressing down as the body goes up, trying not to have the arms out too wide.
     Each exercise helps the other, and in return increases strength and size quite well. Seems also to balance some of
  the weaker spots in pushing/pressing movements. Can help improve the bench quite well

Legs
B)   1...Back squat....bar higher on the traps, heels raised....keeping leaning forward less...BB'er style
      2...Romanian squat...BB
      3...Lying leg curl....one leg at a time. Leg curls are the only pulling exercise in this group. Rest are pushing.

Pull...all the three major pulling motions included.

C)   1...Pull ups (weighted)...hammer medium grip.  Pulling down and into the body.
      2...Hi-pull ...DB, pulling up with elbows  out wide.   With Up-right rows, the hands are in front of the body.....Hi-pulls out and away. Either version could be easily included in any one workout. At present, we only do DB Hi-pulls.        
      3...BB rows, curl, medium grip, pulling  into the lower ab area.

4 sets each exercise. 6-10 reps. Progressive overload, which can mean increase the reps from one workout to the next. Or increase the weight used, from one workout to the next. All these are short and to the point workouts. With three guys training the same workout together, takes a bit over an hour plus.  Each of us do not use the same weight in any given exercise. Close, but not he same. One guy is on call 24/7 and may or may not miss a workout. So far, so good.

Good Luck

F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
Training when on call sucks!

I HATE having to carry my pager around on the floor.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
He'll get paged on his cell phone. Has a case for his new Galaxy S7, which he can carry on his military style belt (because he's military/navy). Takes it off when doing the weighted dips & chins, that dipping chained belt gets in the way of his phone.

Getting a upgrade Galaxy S7 from my S6 , probably Friday. Galaxy stuff, all very impressive.

Done similar type workout, as above, for a good number of years now. With training partners or solo.

Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
If more into a different BB'ing version of the Push/Pull above workout protocol, might suggest Tri sets, using the same exercises. Though a better pump, a pump it's self is no guarantee of any faster results. Some guy's just like that feeling when working out. But an old BB'ing saying is "More blood, more muscle".

Example:

With the push (press) movements, you would do the three exercises one after another, without much rest in between.  Like overhead press followed by flat BP's and finally dips. That's one tri set. Would do three to five such tri set cycles for any muscle group yur working.

Same idea with pull movements. Chins, followed by hi-pulls and finally BB rows. If having trouble with chins, than switch to front lat pulldown's.

Would do three to four such tri set cycles for any muscle group your working. Usually in the 8 to 10 rep range. Want a fast paced workout, so 60 seconds between following sets.  3 to 4 minutes max between exercise cycles.  Going to start with lighter weight until getting adjusted to this style training. Takes between 2 to 3 weeks to get truly adjusted to any new training protocol. Can be very intense at the beginning of this program.

There are also ways of using SS's, which combine the push workout with the pull workouts. Alternating push with pull together in the same cycle.. That can also be a very productive style with regards to increasing muscle mass. And again, very intense.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »
Current

A)    GVT...10X10  mon.

1) Up-right row (Olympic style EZ bar)
   super setted with
2) Dips "V" bar (weighted)

B)    GVT...10X10   Wed.

1)  Front squat  
     super setted
2)  Leg Curl  alternate, laying

C)   GVT...10X10    Fri.

1)    Pullover & Press   bent arme version, with DB's
          not super setted
2)    BB Hack squats  

I never do direct bicep, tricep or calves.  use ab wheels.

F

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
thats one long running journal!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
KISS Program (keeping It Simple Stupid)

Current short and to the point workouts.

1.   Squat  4X10-12  break a couple of inches below parallel. I squat barefooted.
2.   High Pull off pins  4X10-12
3.   Overhead Press  off pins  4X10-12
4.   Lateral raise..alternate arms. 2X10-12

Monday & Thursdays

For those not that familiar with  High Pulls..grip about 6" from inside collars, wider than regular cleans.. One of the best movement for upper body mass, involving the shoulder girdle. Also hits the lateral and posterior (rear) delts strongly. Give this exercise a fair try and some guys may have to buy larger shirts.  Usually done in lower reps (3-5)...these are done in more of a BB'ing range. And never going to failure, of course.

Have done High Pulls with DB's, one arm at a time...elbows high and way out. Also a excellent mass builder.

A different approach to the Overhead Press.  Press the bar overhead until the elbows reach about the height of the chin....than lower slowly the bar back to the starting position.  This is closer to a 3/4 rep that a full complete rep. This will keep more tension on the delts themselves. While with a complete overhead rep, a lot of the tension directly on the shoulders is reduced the higher the bar travels up from the chin/nose level

Your strength and size should increase with these above mass builders.

Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
My training post are what I have done. There's not for everyone, so I never suggest it is the best way to train for anyone else. Or to do anything my way.

Going to add that I don't do direct arm exercises, find them really boring.  My genetics  give a advantage that my arms seem to grow/get stronger with out direct arm movements. Not a boost, just the way things are. Most all my uncles and cousins are like that also.  Also never do calf exercises , for the same reason.

I don't usually include arm movements in any of my training post. But I will suggest a couple that I've seen work on other guy's, to go along with the above program. Probably a bit different than the usual bicep/tricep movements most are use to..

5...Tricep dips. regular bar dips but try keeping the body in a straight up (180 degrees) position at all times.  Have someone hold the feet in place, so as not to swing away from that straight up & down position. Or have a bench, chair or whatever placed in position that steady the feet/legs, keeping the body from swaying away.  The more you bend forward in dips, the less the triceps are involved and more the anterior delts and pecs..

6.    BB Cheat curl.. One of the all time great bicep builders. Your not heaving the bar up, but giving a little kick start from the bottom position and are in full control of the bar. Cheat curls are not reverse cleans like the way I've seen some do.   They have no control of the bar at all. Keep control, with full reps. Can use a straight bar or an EZ bar.

Suggest 3 sets of 8-10 reps. If wanting to try 4 sets, help yourself.  But no more than that, not needed if those other sets are done correctly.  Twice a week, like the other 4 exercises.

Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
Current training. What I do, which really doesn't mean anyone else should do it. No trying to give suggestions to the best training plan for anyone else.

Been doing some DB training of late. DB workouts have a way of insuring balance to both side of the body, as far as strength and development goes. Coordination is another benefit as well as timing to a lesser degree. Athletes and even the casual weekend warriors can find value in taking them seriously in training. And for me, breaks up my workout pattern of using only the Olympic bar, etc, etc..  Some of the old time strongmen hoisted unbelievable weight in DB lifting, as the record books suggest.

Workout  lower body.
1...DB Step ups
     The  height is just a bit above knee level. (just to note, step ups are not the same as one legged squats...one reason is that more leg bicep is involved due to the stretch) 3X10-12 reps

2...One handed  SLDL (Stiff Legged Dead Lift). DB gripped from the floor  and finished when at a standing position. Alternate hands from set to set. Do not round the back, try keeping the spine/back in a flat straight up position. People have back problems usually because one side is dominate over the other....not an equal balance of strength and of flex. 3X10-12 reps

3...Jumping Squats.  A tough exercise if not familiar with doing it. These are jumping squats while sitting on the edge of a bench. Start from that sitting position, with a slight pause of 1 to 2 seconds between each rep. This is a athletic drill , usually done from the low frog position (not on a bench). This version begins from the bench sitting position.  As you progress, try holding light DB's in each hand. Though most guys just use bwt. This is a very explosive exercise, and can affect the total lower body (calf's greatly also) muscle and strength development...and fairly fast.  3X10-12 reps

Upper body

1...DB See-Saw presses. DB's in both hands. Press one hand up and as lowering from the top position, begin pressing the opposite hand up...see-saw fashion. A true delt builder. Keep the arms as close to the head as possible. at top position  3X7-9 reps.

2. DB Hi-pulls,doing one are at a time .... switch to the other arm for the next set. elbows out wide. 3X7-9 reps.

3...DB Pullovers..bent arm version. 3X7-9 reps

4...DB lateral raise.. Slight cheat at start and elbow bent a bit. A too straight elbow will put way too much stress on the elbow it's self..... one side at a time, holding onto a solid object for support. (when getting into heavier DB's you will find the need for support from the free hand) for better focus)

Lower body one day. The next workout day (usually two days between) than the lower body...alternate from workout to workout. No special reason for the 7-9 rep range...just something I like to do. Legs seem to respond with higher rep range (10-12) though not the 20-25 rep range when doing something like breathing squats, etc)

Good Luck..  

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
Current:

1...Front bench squat......4X6   pause on the bench for a couple of seconds, rather than bouncing off (touch and go style) the bench.

2...Romanian DL & shrug.  Grip extra wide, shrug at the top standing position of the DL each rep.   Get a good stretch on the lats with that extra wide grip. 3X6

3...DB Row...alternate arms during a set.  First rep with the right arm, than switch to the left arm for the next rep..etc, etc. etc.   3X6

4...Bench Press....on 45 degree bench.   Middle grip,  try keeping elbows in rather than have them flair out. ....3x6

5...Lateral raises.  Alternating one arm at a time.   Slight swing up to start, DB in front of the body at start..  2x6

Good Luck

F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
Current:

1...Front bench squat......4X6   pause on the bench for a couple of seconds, rather than bouncing off (touch and go style) the bench.

2...Romanian DL & shrug.  Grip extra wide, shrug at the top standing position of the DL each rep.   Get a good stretch on the lats with that extra wide grip. 3X6

3...DB Row...alternate arms during a set.  First rep with the right arm, than switch to the left arm for the next rep..etc, etc. etc.   3X6

4...Bench Press....on 45 degree bench.   Middle grip,  try keeping elbows in rather than have them flair out. ....3x6

5...Lateral raises.  Alternating one arm at a time.   Slight swing up to start, DB in front of the body at start..  2x6

Good Luck

Good to see you on the right side of the grass AND KICKING, JPM!!

God Bless You, and "Good Luck," Sir!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
Montague

And a big "High Five" right back at you.  Hope your training goals bring above and beyond expectations.

Good luck
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
Current workouts  

Program A
Warmup...DB pullover & press   2X20

1...Pullup behind neck   3x6-9
2...Press behind neck  3x6-9
3...Bench, three position grips. 3x6-9
     Extra wide to collars, middle grip, narrow grip (about 10" from each thumb) Weight adjusted for each grip position
4...BB row, three position grips   3x9
     wide grip (keeping the elbows out wide, in line with the upper chest/shoulders as much as possible)  middle grip and narrow grip (with the narrow grip I use a under hand grip) like a curl grip, and try keeping the elbows touching/rubbing the body each rep.  Whatever  hand grip, try bring the bar up to touch the body each rep.

Some will SS 1&2 and/or 3&4 during a more directed lighter BB'ing workout....even adding more sets

Program B

Warmup..Hindu squats 60-80- reps

1...BB Hack squats  3x10-12
2...Jefferson lift   3x10-12
straddle the bar with one hand forward and one hand behind you. Switch each hand position every set. An exercise that one has to get use too...not for everyone of course.
3...BB shrugs off PR. 3x12-15

Usually Program A on Monday. Program B on Thursday.

Just to note..some BB'ers I met in the past swear by curl grip BB rows as a prime lat/back builder.  

As for the biceps, I don't do any curling myself (as mentioned many times before) but applying the three position hand grip BB curl has worked pretty well for some. With the wide (not so wide that you may feel a strain or discomfort on the elbow joints) and middle grips, the elbows are held against the sides of the body as much as possible. With the narrow grip (hands about 4"-5" apart) the points of the elbows are dug into the stomach/ab area. These grip positions seem also to work well with a EZ bar which a lot of men prefer also. Not designed for extra heavy weight, but more of a lighter BB'er style.

Changing a bar hand position, even 2 or 4 inches, can produce a different muscle effect anywhere from chins, to benches to curls, etc, etc, etc..

Good Luck

F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
Cool.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
Current: these are following the progressive load method, either adding more reps or more weight each workout.

1)  BB Lunge in place. Not the walking type of lunge  4x12  I have also do the reverse lunge, rather than stepping forward, I step back wards in place at times. Any version I start, I start with my weaker leg first. Lunges are not a favorite of mine, but doing them for the variety of it.

2) Pull up. Hammer grip  4X6-8   First two sets are done full rep. Last two sets are 1/2 reps.  First two sets are weighted. The last two set I add 50 or 60 lbs and do half reps.   Half reps , where my hands are a bit about level with the top of my head. Pullup's can be an excellent  power movement, though few guy ever include it in a serious workout. I start with a hang dead stop (2-3 seconds)at the beginning of each rep..import factor in this movement is the full stretch. Some use the curl grip (chins..middle to close grip) only for steady results. a very good bicep builder.

3)   Dips.  4X6-8  Start each rep from a dead stop, with 2-3 second pause at the bottom position. The first two sets are done from the bottom position, and are weighted. The next two sets I stand on a low gym box/platform, where I get a 3 to 4 inch lockouts each rep to the top position. Adding more weight to the harness chain. Again, a 2-3 second pause from a dead stop. Dips are also a power and mass builder, much overlook sorry to say.

That's it, just what I do. Keeping it simple and to the point. Done twice a week. Not suggest any of this for anyone, do what works best for you.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »
     If having trouble with any type of pull ups/chins, getting only 1 or 2 reps max or no reps at all, might suggest starting with negatives for a few weeks. That is lowering the body from the top position of the P/C. to the full stretch bottom position.  Lowering slowly with full control of the rep of any negative done. Not dropping like a sack of rocks, which only defeats the purpose of this style training. General rule of thumb is to lower a weight twice as slow as compared to the positive (contraction) rep. That can be adjusted to the personal feel of the exercise for you, but never as the same pace as when raising the weight (contraction/positive).

Going to find that you are much stronger at the negative than the positive regular starting position. If doing 2 max reps in the positive, you may find that you can do 6 to 8+ negative lowering reps. Even to the point of adding weight to a negative exercise after awhile.  Returning back to the regular P/C workouts you should become that much stronger in doing reps.

There are (though rarely used today) negative planned systems, from benches, presses, rows, etc.. Negatives have also been use during BB curls for example.  Though productive, negatives can be a  awkward way to workout for some, when applied to a full workout. And probably for a 2-3 week time limit and then returning to regulate style training. Going to need at least two training partners, which is usually the case.

Another advantage of serious pull ups/chins is that it can be an excellent grip and forearm strength and size movement. Better still when adding weight to the exercise. Just gripping a overhead bar/attachment and hanging from it with 50 to 100lbs extra can be a good example of how it affects the grip. A 20 to 30 second free hang should prove that.

Good Luck
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:54 AM »
I find getting better at pull ups is frequency. I use to go to failure with them once a week as part of my back training. Two sets both to failure. When I was doing them three times a week I really progressed in terms of how many full range reps I could do. Convinced now if I upped it to 4 or even 5 days a week I would have progressed faster.

When you do your jumping dumbbell squats what kind of weight are you using? I would imagine it has to be light or the ballistic nature of it could be dangerous.  I remember seeing Franco doing them on a video I saw a long time ago.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »
Current (2 weeks in)

Workout A...... Monday

1)  Hack Squat...4X15-20...start each rep from a dead stop bottom position (2-3 seconds pause)

2)  BB Shrugs...4X 12-15...hold for 2-3 seconds at top position. Wider grip.

3) BB Row, curl grip into lower abs, hold for 2-3 seconds at top position...4X12-15

Workout B...Thursday

1)   Bulgarian Squats  4X15-20

2)   DB see-saw presses. Sitting flat on the floor/mat with legs out in front of me. 4X12-15

2)  Dips, weighted (V bar). start from a dead stop at the bottom (2-3 seconds pause) each rep.  4X12-15

Will do 50, or so, Hindu squats for leg warm up/stretch. 50 GoodMornings also. Upper body,will hang from a overhead bar, inner locking fingers together, for a  minute or so. Than do a wider hanging over hand grip. Just free hanging, from a overhead bar/rings, can allow a great stretch and even seems to  straighten the back and hips a bit. Will also hang from one arm for a short period at the end.

Busy time of year for me, so any workout is not always on Monday or Thursday. Good part is I can do this simple style workout in any gym I may wind up during travel stop overs. The workout is somewhat short and to the point. 90 seconds between sets. 120 minutes between exercises, trying to keep a fast pace,which can be an important factor in most workouts.

Good Luck.

F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »
Are you the same member that used to post as just JPM?

You are highly knowledgeable.