Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
November 20, 2019, 05:18:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JPM101 current training  (Read 90431 times)
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »

Yes, when I first started on GB. Somehow GB mess up my sign on name, so I added 101.

I know some, but not near everything about this or that with regards to resistance training. Can't say I'm any expert, don't think GB has room for any more "experts" anyway.

Had the advantage of being exposed to lifting from my two uncles who hung around the original Muscle Beach and other old school gyms.  And talking to older BB'ing, PL'ing and a few Olympic lifting veterans on a one to-one-bases ( I ask a lot of questions).  Just to note, Olympic lifters are the real strongmen and prime athlete's of all.  

One thing I have learned about BB'ing is to keep the workouts brief and to the point, with three workouts, four the max, per week. Pretty simple blueprint because most guys overthink what is really needed for continual advancements.  And having each workout done with serious intend, halting one or two final reps from the point of failure most of the time.

Good Luck.
Report to moderator   Logged

F
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »

Yes, when I first started on GB. Somehow GB mess up my sign on name, so I added 101.

I know some, but not near everything about this or that with regards to resistance training. Can't say I'm any expert, don't think GB has room for any more "experts" anyway.

Had the advantage of being exposed to lifting from my two uncles who hung around the original Muscle Beach and other old school gyms.  And talking to older BB'ing, PL'ing and a few Olympic lifting veterans on a one to-one-bases ( I ask a lot of questions).  Just to note, Olympic lifters are the real strongmen and prime athlete's of all.  

One thing I have learned about BB'ing is to keep the workouts brief and to the point, with three workouts, four the max, per week. Pretty simple blueprint because most guys overthink what is really needed for continual advancements.  And having each workout done with serious intend, halting one or two final reps from the point of failure most of the time.

Good Luck.

I agree. Olympic lifters are the real athletes.  Olympic lifting should be called power lifting and power lifting should be called strength lifting.
Montague
Getbig V

White Belt Hall-of-Fame...

« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2019, 02:11:56 AM »

Are you the same member that used to post as just JPM?

You are highly knowledgeable.

JPM is too humble.
He has forgotten more about lifting and nutrition than many serious practitioners ever learn.

If it wasn't for members like "pumpster," he may have shared even more of his knowledge early on.

"Experts" like Squadfather and pumpster would troll JPM, claiming he's a fraud and calling bullshit on lifting claims, etc. I remember a thread in which JPM had to post photographic evidence of v-shaped dipping bars because "dumpster" insisted it was a fictitious apparatus JPM conjured up. A short time after that thread, plumpster was touting the benefits of the v-bar for chest and tri's by using different grips - carrying on as if he'd invented the goddam thing!

jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »

Montague, thanks for the thumbs ups.....and right back at you.

Didn't mine pumpster or Squadfather, there would self destruct soon or later. The more they wrote the more they exposed themselves as attention seeking frauds.  Squadfather could be funny at times and did have a small following but pumpster was generally disliked. The reflected image of Squadfather's picture in the glass sliding door was probably the final straw for him.  

Donny was another gentleman who seemed to live his  fantasies through GB. Top martial artist, boxer, of course training expert and a macho and military record to rival Rambo. Donny got along with me quite well when he first came on GB. Exchanging ideas and such in a friendly way. Than, almost overnight, he became the opposite. I remember he deleted quite a few of his past post when he was on a more friendly bases with me. And a lot of his own post that exposed some of his falsehoods. Not sure how Donny got banded from GB, but he did. Though he did get way too personal with some other guys. I generally like most everyone but with Donny and pumpster, I might make an exception. Sitting around a table with a few beers under out belts, I'm sure we would have come to better terms.

I made the big mistake of listing the weights I used in my workouts when first coming on GB.  I didn't/don't think there was anything extra extraordinary about them. Considering the men I have trained with in the past and people I have heard about in lifting circles. In some semi-private or small club gyms, there are exceptional strong men lifting ungodly amounts of weight. And not a chrome BB, DB, plate or machine anywhere in sight. A whole sub culture by it's s

Good Luck

F
Montague
Getbig V

White Belt Hall-of-Fame...

« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »

Montague, thanks for the thumbs ups.....and right back at you.

Didn't mine pumpster or Squadfather, there would self destruct soon or later. The more they wrote the more they exposed themselves as attention seeking frauds.  Squadfather could be funny at times and did have a small following but pumpster was generally disliked. The reflected image of Squadfather's picture in the glass sliding door was probably the final straw for him.  

Donny was another gentleman who seemed to live his  fantasies through GB. Top martial artist, boxer, of course training expert and a macho and military record to rival Rambo. Donny got along with me quite well when he first came on GB. Exchanging ideas and such in a friendly way. Than, almost overnight, he became the opposite. I remember he deleted quite a few of his past post when he was on a more friendly bases with me. And a lot of his own post that exposed some of his falsehoods. Not sure how Donny got banded from GB, but he did. Though he did get way too personal with some other guys. I generally like most everyone but with Donny and pumpster, I might make an exception. Sitting around a table with a few beers under out belts, I'm sure we would have come to better terms.

I made the big mistake of listing the weights I used in my workouts when first coming on GB.  I didn't/don't think there was anything extra extraordinary about them. Considering the men I have trained with in the past and people I have heard about in lifting circles. In some semi-private or small club gyms, there are exceptional strong men lifting ungodly amounts of weight. And not a chrome BB, DB, plate or machine anywhere in sight. A whole sub culture by it's s

Good Luck

LOL... I'd forgotten about Donny..
I took some time away from the board recently - a combination of having become indifferent to the common, widespread idiocy here, as well as working lots of OT while being back in the gym full-time again.

You can't "fix stupid."
But, the stupid quickly expose themselves, eventually self-imploding.

The only exception to that phenomenon is "THE EXCEPTIONALLY STUPID." These are the people who are TOO STUPID to recognize insult and/or feel shame.
To see my point, just scan through the Politics board sometime.  Wink
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »

Got it.

I'm just returning a bit more to GB these last few months.

The G&O section, a complete waste of time, for me anyway. A few lonely people who seek belonging, or to fit in, somewhere and almost begging to be noticed and heard. A virtual reality meeting place for them, which real day to day life situations may not offer them.  Either introverted or critically unsure of themselves. Of course the majority are average guy's trying for a bit of information or are just bored. And probably don't take the BS too seriously.

Not so much stupid, but perhaps lacking the confidence and resolve to think for themselves and do a bit of research on BB'ing, lifting or whatever in the training world. Through there seems a few low IQ individual who may falsely believe their smarter than most.  They are the ones most easily played on GB. I thought Squadfather was cleaver by half, but pumpster and Donny may have been lacking  full mental quality's (OK a bit dense).  If your going to lie and BS everyone, might try being at least half way good at it. In the final run, your only fooling yourself anyway.

Good Luck

F
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »

Current:  Going back to my tried and true Rest-Pause system.  12 to 15 second break between each rep. 3 sets each. 8-12 reps. Going to find that you can use a much heavier weight than normal workouts. In any event, R-P seems to ramp up gains fairly fast for a lot of guy's. Also breaking up that training boredom barrier a lot hit over time.

Example:   If benching with 220 for 8 good reps, might find your using 240-245 with that 12-15 pause between reps. I usually use 12 seconds between, but suggest nothing over the 15 second margin

A)    1. Hack trap bar squats...in PR. (PR...Power Rack)
       2. Shrug..trap bar in PR. With the thumbs forward, there is a more natural grip than with a BB.
           Same idea with the Hack squats.
       3. Chins (weighted)...Hammer grip, thumbs facing me... about a 34-36" wide grip

B)    1.  Push Press...the bar is resting on the heels of my hands and has a more inline position with
             the wrist which can generate more direct power in the overhead press.  This may also relieve,
             for some, less pressure on the wrist that a regular grip (wrap around hand). There is also a  
            slight  body dip action at the start of the push.  Not to the extent of a jerk press, with that
            strong influence of full knee action. With Push Pressing, the slight dip is just to get the bar
            started off the shoulders. Heavy bencher's may also use the bar on the heel of the hands.
            No doubt, the Push Press can be an ultimate shoulder girdle mass movement.

2.  Dip's...weighted....knuckles facing forward. For me, something to get use to, but have
             gotten favorable results. Suggest going easy at first, you can get a different muscle
             reaction than from regular dips.

Workout A on Monday.  Workout B on Weds.   Workout A on Friday.

Next Monday would be workout B.  Weds workout A    Friday workout B

the following Monday back to workout A again. etc, etc, etc...

I have also done...
Workout A on Monday
Workout B on Thurs.

That's only once a week .... per A and B

Good Luck.

F
IroNat
Getbig V

You can't outrun a box of Oreos.

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »

How long do these workouts take you?
jpm101
Getbig IV

« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »

Three exercises at 3 sets (9 total sets), about an hour. The 12 second pause between reps takes a bit of time over regular sets. And I rest about 4-5 minutes between exercises.

I said between 8-12 reps, but I have advanced so much at times, getting stronger between workouts, that the reps can get away from me and I wind up doing 15-16 reps a set the next workout..  All with that 12 second pause.

Have also combined the R-P with partial reps, and with some outstanding results. Of course the weight used may be near double by half the weight used in standard workouts for any given exercise. I have written many times before about partial rep training.

These type workouts, and the  results, are all in relation to the way my body adapts to training. Anyone else may not respond  the exact same way.  What works for one may not work for all.

Good Luck

Good Luck.

F
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!