Author Topic: The Calves Thread: the mtwain protocol for growth and more  (Read 150493 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Re: The Calves Thread: the mtwain protocol for growth and more
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »
My calves are slightly high i think, but i dont need alot of training to get them to grow as theyre naturally above average size and respond well. First 3 - 4 months I got them up 1.5" by doing calf raises on my stairs holding 45lbs in each hand last year when i resumed training after 5 years out of the gym.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
i think you need more than the gym for them running in the mountains with a weoght vest palying volley ball maybe good . train one leg at a time also .

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:04 AM »
Hey guys

Iv just started this again. Iv been getting most of my calf improvements from bike work on hills, so in interested to jump back into this again.

Has anyone considered trying this overall idea with other body parts (he says as he is fully aware it is nit how i train)? What i mean is eg shoulder press. One set as many as possible. Followed by forced reps and attempting to control the negative for say 4 seconds. Once that can't be achieved strip all weights off and rep empty bar

The end is a little different but that's only b/c i dint think bouncing in the button position on movements involving weights would be very safe.

Davie
It isn't the mountains ah

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »
Calves are probably the most genetic dependent muscle there is. People like me don't have to worry about doing these fancy methods to get them to grow. Interesting stuff for people with subpar calf genes though

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »
i train calves 2x per wk different weight/reps..i like training them,,i would say some genetic but i trained them due to quads could overpower them,,,

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 01:23:08 AM »
i trained my calves the other day after months of not training them and after it got pumped and i tried to flex them,BOOM epic cramps,both of them and i literally rolling on the floor try not to scream
T

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
i trained my calves the other day after months of not training them and after it got pumped and i tried to flex them,BOOM epic cramps,both of them and i literally rolling on the floor try not to scream

Yeah mine cramp real bad. Especially the following night I'll wake up at like 3am and they will both be cramping as well as my feet for some fucking reason and all the front of the shin and sometimes hamstrings. Hydration, sodium, potassium all normal lol. Sometimes they even cramp when I am training them and it's annoying because I get in the groove and need to stop and massage them otherwise they will just cramp up again. Eventually it stops after a few cramps... just gotta push through it.
They used to cramp every night I'd train them but it's far less often now. Maybe there is more blood flow, they are a lot harder and vascular now but not much extra size yet

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
gaining weight helps the calves a bit too . a strange muscle . mountain running . volleyball and out of the gyn activities help outside the regular donkeys and seated calf raises .

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
I have yet to see anyone with 16 inchers go to 18, ever. Only solution is synthol or gaining lots of weight.
?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »

I find when this happens it helps to stretch your calf by using your ankle to point your toes toward your shin.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
Calves protocol: Buy pants. Wear pants.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2014, 10:03:55 AM »
how about the oak great sucess with calves . its possible to see them grow .

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
how about the oak great sucess with calves . its possible to see them grow .

I wonder if he had implants

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2014, 07:10:28 AM »
vince basile share doubts about arnold calves . most people beleive he got them through training only .

K A N N I B A L

• Getbig II
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »

Before

After (14 years)

They definitely can be built if you want them. Took me over a decade though. So you gotta be committed. Too many people give up on them after 6-12 months.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »

Before

After (14 years)

They definitely can be built if you want them. Took me over a decade though. So you gotta be committed. Too many people give up on them after 6-12 months.
[/quote

I put in 2 decades. Went beyond the point of pain and fucked up the bottom of my foot doing seated calve raises even. For most, it's just not possible.

I'm gonna guess you increased your bodyweight a lot to get bigger calves as that's the only f'in thing that ever made mine budge.

I've sat down numerous times creating programs to prioritize my pea shooters, the intense stretching, the pauses at the bottom, top, mid point, slow rep training, all that shit...
?

K A N N I B A L

• Getbig II
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
Bodyweight increase no doubt helps, was 71kg in before, 100 now, but needs to include work with the extra bodyweight. I make a point to walk 30mins minimum after training them with weights,  so they get some real volume in them, 2-2500 reps :)
The biggest noticeable improvements came from 45-60 mins of daily cycling (my commute to work) and consciously flexing them every revolution .Feels weird ar first, but you get used to it.
I don't go heavy, lots of single leg calf raises,def get b3tter ROM and contraction with those,  and lots of volume. 2-3x week

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Bodyweight increase no doubt helps, was 71kg in before, 100 now, but needs to include work with the extra bodyweight. I make a point to walk 30mins minimum after training them with weights,  so they get some real volume in them, 2-2500 reps :)
The biggest noticeable improvements came from 45-60 mins of daily cycling (my commute to work) and consciously flexing them every revolution .Feels weird ar first, but you get used to it.

I got a bike at one point as well, lol! I thought post workout walking on the incline would help. I'd even walk on each foot to give it a contraction or rep of sorts.
I'm just fucked in this department man. I'd say this is the first year I "somewhat" don't care anymore. I even did synthol and when I think of that, esssh, wow, can't believe I put that stuff in me...

Not like I didN't try. I even looked into implants and had no idea they were so expensive. Also requires 6 weeks of no lower body training after. 6 weeks is way too long. So I guess the best thing I can come close to is having a gf with good calves, lol...

I still remember the first time I got called out for small calves (was 16) and man it bugged me. But when i talk to people about this now, I see their side to the issue more and more.  To have stressed myself over this (you guys have no idea...) as I did was beyond unhealthy.
?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2015, 07:15:49 PM »
i train calve 2x wk ,built a decent pair not genetically blessed as my quads/hams are...

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
i train calve 2x wk ,built a decent pair not genetically blessed as my quads/hams are...

would say that looks very much like mine. Look ok from the front/side but can't hide the lack of mass from behind. OH well...

Speaking of behinds, do you have trouble with glute mass also? I dead lifted way over 400lbs and squatted way over 300 for way over a decade and never developed an ass. Looks bad as my legs are big"ish"

But one thing I've often noticed is guys who have real good calves are narrow, have bad chest/shoulders but good glutes and calves.
?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
would say that looks very much like mine. Look ok from the front/side but can't hide the lack of mass from behind. OH well...

Speaking of behinds, do you have trouble with glute mass also? I dead lifted way over 400lbs and squatted way over 300 for way over a decade and never developed an ass. Looks bad as my legs are big"ish"

But one thing I've often noticed is guys who have real good calves are narrow, have bad chest/shoulders but good glutes and calves.

no ..i have glutes'no homo'strong squatter,lots lunges..

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
no ..i have glutes'no homo'strong squatter,lots lunges..

besides my sciatic issue, I despise lunges and have the top notch reason not to do them, lol... But still unusual I never got more of an ass. Good thing, gays love me too much as is.
?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
besides my sciatic issue, I despise lunges and have the top notch reason not to do them, lol... But still unusual I never got more of an ass. Good thing, gays love me too much as is.
;D

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »
So...
Anyone got them huge calves yet???

Didn't think so, lol...
?

ritch

• Getbig V