Author Topic: Clinton Big Money Donor Wanted for Grand Theft (and other Democrat Misdeeds)  (Read 152058 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Corruption probes hitting Dems across the country
Published March 28, 2014
FoxNews.com

A wave of corruption arrests and investigations is roiling Democratic politicians, posing a potential image problem in an election year.

The latest were a pair of arrests earlier this week, snagging Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon, who later resigned, and California state Sen. Leland Yee. The latter involved a tangled web of allegations including claims that the gun control-pushing lawmaker tried to connect an undercover agent with an international arms dealer.

So far, these cases are confined to the state and local levels, so it remains to be seen whether Democrats running in the congressional midterms will be tarnished.

In fact, the only major arrest of a U.S. congressman since the beginning of 2013 was that of a Republican, Florida Rep. Trey Radel, who was convicted for cocaine possession and resigned early this year. Each party typically is careful to throw stones when the other side finds itself on the wrong side of the law, because corruption and other misbehavior is a bipartisan problem.

For every Anthony Weiner, there's a Mark Foley.

But since Radel's October arrest, the bulk of the corruption cases have involved Democrats.

In California alone, Yee's case marked the third arrest or conviction in as many months of a state Democratic official.

State Republicans, who have been struggling to regain their political footing, have sought to capitalize on the wave of criminal charges as a way to undo Democrats' dominance in the Legislature. Republicans have repeatedly tried to expel Sen. Rod Wright after he was convicted of perjury and voter fraud in January for lying about his legal residence in Los Angeles County. Democratic leaders have blocked those efforts. The state Senate, though, voted Friday to suspend all three of the lawmakers in trouble.

The other, Sen. Ron Calderon, was indicted on federal corruption charges in February. Prosecutors say Calderon accepted about $100,000 for himself and family members in exchange for promoting legislation to expand Hollywood tax credits and protect the interest of a hospital that benefited from a provision of the workers' compensation law.

Then came Yee, whose alleged activities were more befitting Hollywood than his San Francisco district.

The criminal complaint contained dramatic details about Yee's alleged efforts to connect an undercover agent with a firearms dealer.

"Do I think we can make some money? I think we can make some money," the senator allegedly said in one of the meetings.

The cases, while involving local politicians, have put powerful Democrats in an awkward position.

U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein of California joined a growing list of officials on Thursday in distancing themselves by demanding Yee's resignation. The Democratic leader of the state Senate, President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, warned Yee to resign or face suspension by his colleagues, saying "he cannot come back."

Cannon, meanwhile, was ensnared in an FBI sting and faces federal corruption charges alleging he accepted more than $48,000 in cash, airline tickets, a hotel room and a luxury apartment from undercover agents posing as real estate developers and investors. Cannon, while not a household Democratic name, led the city that hosted the Democratic National Convention in 2012.

On top of that case, Rhode Island House Speaker Gordon Fox said Saturday he was resigning from leadership and would not run for re-election, a day after federal and state authorities raided his Statehouse office and home as part of a criminal investigation that they would not detail.

The Friday raids were carried out by the U.S. attorney's office, FBI, IRS and state police. Boxes of evidence were carried off after agents spent hours at both his home and office. Officials will not say whom or what they are investigating.

The 52-year-old Providence Democrat, who became the nation's first openly gay House speaker in 2010, said he planned to serve out the remainder of his term through the end of the year, but that "my personal focus going forward will be on my family and dealing with the investigation."

Meanwhile, in the shadow of the U.S. Capitol, the mayor of the District of Columbia, a Democrat, is facing his own problems. A U.S. attorney claimed earlier this month that Mayor Vincent Gray knew about an illegal, $668,000 "shadow campaign" that helped propel him into office four years ago. Despite denials from the mayor, who has not been accused of a crime, the revelation further damaged him ahead of next week's primary.

"I think the question politically is whether it becomes emblematic of the national party," said Mary Katharine Ham, a Fox News contributor. "And that, to some extent, depends on media coverage. In, for instance, 2006, there was the drumbeat against Republicans was this culture of corruption; and that, to a large extent, was effective because it was so consistently covered in the media."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/28/corruption-probes-hitting-dems-across-country/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
BREAKING NEWS Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:20 AM EDT

C. Ray Nagin, Former New Orleans Mayor, Sentenced to 10 Years
C. Ray Nagin, the former mayor of New Orleans who was convicted in February on corruption charges, was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Wednesday in federal court in New Orleans.
Mr. Nagin was found guilty in February on 20 counts, most relating to kickbacks from contractors looking for city work. Judge Ginger Berrigan of United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana will determine the sentence, which could be lengthy even if she mostly hews to federal sentencing guidelines.
Mr. Nagin, a Democrat, was arrested in January 2013, nearly three years after he left office. He was charged with taking kickbacks in the form of cash, cross-country trips or help with the family-run granite countertop company; the bribes were handed out by men looking for city business ranging from software supplies to sidewalk repair. Many of the schemes, though not all, took place after Hurricane Katrina, when contractors crowded into the city for rebuilding work.

READ MORE »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/us/ray-nagin-former-new-orleans-mayor.html?emc=edit_na_20140709

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Company co-founded by Nancy Pelosi’s son charged with securities fraud
Washington Times ^ | July 17, 2014 | Elizabeth Harrington - Washington Free Beacon
Posted on July 18, 2014 3:11:40 AM EDT by Cincinatus' Wife

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) charged a company cofounded by Paul Pelosi Jr. with fraud on Wednesday after learning that two convicted criminals were running the business.

Paul Pelosi Jr., the son of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.), was the president and chief operating officer of Natural Blue Resources Inc., an investment company he cofounded that focuses on “environmentally-friendly” ventures.

The SEC charged four individuals with fraud, including former New Mexico Gov. Toney Anaya, and suspended trading in the company’s stock. Pelosi owned over 10 million shares in the company in 2009

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtontimes.com ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Good.  I guess the MSM blackout on this guy will have to end, no? 

Dem Sen. Walsh drops out of Montana Senate race after plagiarism scandal
Published August 07, 2014
FoxNews.com

Montana Democratic Sen. John Walsh is dropping out of his Senate race after being dogged by allegations of plagiarism, potentially boosting Republicans' chances of picking up the seat in November.

The senator made the announcement late Thursday in a message to supporters. Walsh said the plagiarism issue has become a "distraction" from the issues.

"I am ending my campaign so that I can focus on fulfilling the responsibility entrusted to me as your U.S. Senator. You deserve someone who will always fight for Montana, and I will," he said in the message.

Calls for Walsh to bow out have grown louder following accusations that first surfaced last month that he plagiarized part of a paper he submitted for his master's degree in 2007.

Three of Montana's largest newspapers recently called for him to withdraw his candidacy, while others have demanded he apologize or forfeit his master's degree.

The decision comes as a U.S. Army War College investigation is set to begin Aug. 15 into the paper that Walsh previously said unintentionally contained wrongfully cited passages. Walsh also had until Monday to drop out of the race.

His decision to withdraw from the November election allows the Montana Democratic Party to hold a nominating convention to choose a replacement candidate before the Aug. 20 deadline to do so. The convention will be composed of Democratic leaders from each county's party committee, along with federal and statewide elected officials and the party's executive board. They will nominate potential candidates who will have a chance to speak before the convention before voting gets underway.

The nominee who receives a majority of votes will be selected as the replacement candidate, according to the party's rules.

Walsh's decision is likely to give a boost to Republican Rep. Steve Daines, who is giving up his House seat to run for Senate. Republicans need to gain a net of six seats in the election to take control of the Senate, and Walsh had faced a tough race against Daines before the plagiarism allegations.

Walsh had already announced his candidacy for the seat when Gov. Steve Bullock appointed him in February to replace Max Baucus, who resigned from the Senate to become ambassador to China. Republicans blasted Bullock's appointment of his lieutenant governor as a political move designed to gain an advantage in the elections.

The New York Times revealed the extensive use of unattributed material in Walsh's paper about the spread of democracy in the Middle East. Walsh originally called it an "unintentional mistake" and told The Associated Press part of the blame may lie in his being treated for symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder following his deployment in Iraq.

He later said he was not blaming PTSD for his mistake.

Walsh is the only U.S. senator who served in the Iraq war. He capped a 33 years in the Montana National Guard, his career rising to state adjutant general before he took his first elected office in 2013 as Bullock's lieutenant governor in 2013. Walsh received the Master of Strategic Studies degree from the war college at age 47, a year before he became adjutant general overseeing the Guard and the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/07/dem-sen-walsh-drops-out-montana-senate-race/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Army War College revokes Sen. John Walsh's master's degree
ByJAKE MILLERCBS NEWSOctober 10, 2014

Sen. John Walsh, D-Montana, said Friday that the United States Army War College has revoked his master's degree after investigating allegations that he plagiarized much of a thesis he submitted to earn his degree.

"Though I disagree with the findings made by the War College, I accept its decision with great humility and respect for the U.S. Military," Walsh said in a statement. "I apologize to all Montanans for the plagiarism in my 2007 paper, and I am prepared to live with its consequences."

The plagiarism, first reported by the New York Times in August, occurred in a paper on Middle Eastern politics Walsh submitted to the college in 2007, when he was part of a 10-month graduate studies program.

In the paper, Walsh lifted large passages from other sources without attribution, including several policy recommendations at the end of the paper that were stolen from a paper by academics at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

Other passages were copied from a paper written by a scholar at Harvard University.

After the allegations first surfaced, Walsh insisted the mistake was unintentional, saying he was suffering from symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder at the time he wrote the paper. He said he did not want to blame PTSD for the error, but added that it "may have been a factor."

Just days after the accusations went public, the college said it would conduct its own investigation into the matter.

In short order, the scandal forced Walsh to abandon his plans to seek election to a full term six-year term in the Senate. He was first appointed to the chamber in February to replace departing Democratic Sen. Max Baucus, who was appointed the U.S. Ambassador to China.

Before the allegations of plagiarism, Walsh was considered one of the most endangered Democratic incumbents. His seat is now considered an almost-certain pickup for Republicans, who need a net gain of six seats to seize the majority.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/army-war-college-revokes-senator-john-walshs-masters-degree/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Clinton Big Money Donor Wanted for Grand Theft (and other Democrat Misdeeds)
« Reply #331 on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
Candidate with Felony Indictment Wins Re-Election by a Landslide… Then Gets Convicted for Misdemeanor 3 Days Later.
BY KARA PENDLETON (21 HOURS AGO) | ELECTIONS, LEGAL, POLITICS
IJRSHAREEMAIL

Democratic Texas State Representative Ron Reynolds is in trouble…again. Named by Texas Monthly as the ‘Worst Legislator of 2013,’ Reynolds hasn’t exactly made a name for himself with his policy decisions.

Reynolds, who is also an attorney, had been under felony indictment for 10 charges of ambulance chasing (officially known as barratry) in Montgomery County, Texas, leading into his third-term election. Even with these charges, he managed to win by 67 percent over his Republican opponent, David Hamilton.

But Reynolds didn’t get to celebrate his victory for long. Just three days later, he was convicted on six misdemeanor charges of ‘solicitation of professional employment.’

According to the Houston Chronicle, there was a ton of evidence against Reynolds–about 12,000 pages of documents, which included recorded audio interviews, phone records and multiple bank statements.

Breitbart reports that Reynolds could have gotten off on misdemeanor charges if he’d pleaded guilty, resigned from his State House seat and withdrawn from the election prior to the jury’s decision.

Instead he took a gamble, presumably thinking that he would win his election and also be found innocent by the jury.

Sentencing is scheduled to take place Monday and may include a maximum fine of up to $4,000 and a maximum jail sentence of up to one year. Reynolds, meanwhile, maintains his innocence.

Unfortunately, this recent trouble isn’t a new pattern for Reynolds. Since being admitted to the Texas Bar Association in 2000, Reynolds has:

Lost his legal license twice
Been fined $10,00 by the Texas Ethics Commission for failing to file required campaign finance disclosures
Had a “Warrant Hold”  placed on his state reimbursement checks after failing to pay the ethics commission fine
Been sued by 15 healthcare companies for non-payment for treatment given to his clients
Lost a similar lawsuit in 2013 that cost him $172,000

Clearly, although 24,319 of 36,308 voters decided to put Reynolds back into office last Tuesday, his future in politics seems shaky.

Correction: This headline was corrected from original version: “An Indicted Felon Wins Re-Election by a Landslide… Then Gets Convicted Again 3 Days Later…” This is not an accurate way to describe the status of Mr. Reynolds.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/11/199771-corrected-worst-legislator-of-2013-won-re-election-by-a-landslide-despite-felony-indictment-and-was-then-convicted-3-days-after-his-epic-win/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
New York State Assembly speaker reportedly to be arrested on corruption charges
Published January 22, 2015
FoxNews.com

Jan. 7, 2015: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan, walks on the floor in the Assembly Chamber at the start of the 2015 legislative session at the state Capitol in Albany, N.Y. (AP Photo/Mike Groll)
Sheldon Silver, the powerful longtime speaker of the New York State Assembly, is facing arrest on federal corruption charges, according to a published report.

The New York Times reported that the charges stemmed from payments that Silver, a Democrat, received from a small New York City law firm, Goldberg & Iryami, that specializes in seeking reductions in New York City real estate taxes. It was not immediately clear how much Silver was paid by the firm, but the paper reported that the amounts were "substantial" and the payments were made over several years. Silver reportedly failed to disclose the payments as required in his annual financial filings with the state.

The Times reports that the federal investigation of Silver began after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo abruptly shut down an anticorruption commission he created in March of 2013. That inquiry had focused on outside income earned by state legislators with part-time jobs.

Silver earns $121,000 per year as Assembly speaker and reported a $650,000 income from legal work on his financial disclosure form for 2013, the most recent year available.

Under New York law, officeholders can continue to serve after being arrested, but must leave office upon conviction for a felony offense.

Silver, 70, was elected to the New York State Assembly in 1976, representing a district comprising much of lower Manhattan, including the site of the newly opened Freedom Tower. He has served as Assembly Speaker since 1994.

Click for more from The New York Times.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/22/new-york-state-assembly-speaker-reportedly-to-be-arrested-on-corruption-charges/?intcmp=latestnews

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Sheldon silver is one of the worst of the worst.    He single handidly has ruined this state

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Tip of the iceberg

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Tip of the iceberg

Rep. Issa said on FOX news recently (I think it was 2009) that he intends to get to the bottom of this.

I'm really thinking he's going to make sure obama is impeached and put on trial.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/sheldon-silver-arrested

Typical far left greaseball pos

Greed strikes again.

​​"Sheldon Silver, the longtime speaker of the New York state Assembly, was arrested Thursday morning on charges that he​​ abused his position to pocket $4 million in bribes and kickbacks."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The ink was scarcely dry on the federal fingerprint pad last week when the usual suspects began lining up behind the biggest fish US Attorney Preet Bharara has hauled in to date: New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

“I’ve always known Shelly Silver to be a man of integrity,” announced Mayor de Blasio, without an atom of irony.

“There is no one in public life in New York who has fought more effectively, for decades, for almost everything I care about in public policy than Sheldon Silver,” Richard Gottfried of Manhattan, one of the Assembly’s longest-tenured members proclaimed with a straight face.

“I want to see the facts before I have an opinion,” said Gov. Cuomo — ominously for him, also an object of curiosity to the feds.

So there you have it.

Bharara convincingly accuses the most powerful person in New York government over the past 20 years of taking $4 million in exchange for no work whatsoever — in effect, selling his office, if not his soul — and the insiders are afraid to say boo.

Could anything be more typical of the attitude New York’s morally bankrupt political establishment brings to such matters? For all the players — overt crooks and fellow travellers alike — the relevant query last week seemed to be this:

Why is everybody picking on poor Shelly Silver all of a sudden?

Sad to say, that’s a rational question.

For it may have taken a five-count federal corruption indictment alleging millions in kickbacks and other corrupt practices for everyday New Yorkers to twig to the fact that the Lower East Side’s favorite son is — in the fullest Nixonian sense of the word — a crook.

But insiders have known better for many, many years.

Shelly Silver is the man with a thumb in every cup of soup; he’s a superbly talented manipulator who can, and does, make things happen on all levels of government to the benefit of his friends, his allies and — Bharara now alleges — himself, too.

By virtue of his status as top Democrat in the Albany Legislature, Silver:
•Controls appointments to the state Board of Regents, which sets policy for New York’s multibillion-dollar education establishment; not for nothing did Silver put a lifelong friend, Regents Chancellor Merryl Tisch, in charge of the whole enterprise. And not for nothing do the teachers unions — and their lavishly funded political action committees — love Shelly Silver.
•Put Jonathan Lippman, another boyhood buddy and a fellow trial lawyer, in command of New York’s courts — from the lofty Court of Appeals down to the lowest justice of the peace. So no wonder New York is one of the most aggressive anti-tort-reform jurisdictions in America; no wonder that Silver’s association with one of the state’s most prominent trial-law firms, Weitz & Luxenberg, is integral to the indictments handed up against him on Wednesday.

And the above merely are side dishes.

For Silver’s day gig — Assembly speaker — has him in the catbird seat regarding the disposition of billions upon billions of tax dollars every year. The special interests understand this, and boost the campaign accounts and electoral prospects of Silver’s allies, while damaging his adversaries, accordingly.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Powerful New York Assembly Speaker to leave post amid corruption Charges
FOX News ^  | January 28, 2015

Posted on ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎35‎:‎19‎ ‎AM by Din Maker

New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, one of the most powerful Democrats in Empire State politics over the past two decades, will leave his post next week as he fights federal corruption charges.

The 70-year-old was taken into custody last Thursday on federal charges he took nearly $4 million in payoffs and kickbacks, but he insists he is innocent. Silver faces five counts, including conspiracy and bribery, and is accused of using his position to obtain millions of dollars in kickbacks masked as legitimate income from two law firms.

Members of the Assembly said Silver's criminal charges had become a distraction and a problem for entire chamber.

Silver had one vocal ally remaining. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, a fellow Democrat, has called Silver "a man of integrity" and said Tuesday that he shouldn't resign. He added that people have to respect the Assembly's decision, but "it's crucially important" that there is leadership that's fair to the city, which he claimed often doesn't get its fair share from the state government.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Clinton Big Money Donor Wanted for Grand Theft (and other Democrat Misdeeds)
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »
Oregon AG investigating governor, fiancée over ethics issues
Published February 10, 2015
FoxNews.com

Jan. 30, 2015: Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber answers questions during a news conference in Portland, Ore. (AP)

Oregon's attorney general has opened an investigation into mounting influence-peddling allegations surrounding Gov. John Kitzhaber and his fiancée.

The Oregonian reports that the investigation of a sitting governor may be unprecedented. Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum confirmed the probe just hours after Kitzhaber, a Democrat, on Monday asked the AG to look into the ethics issues surrounding him and his wife.

"Thank you for your letter," she wrote to Kitzhaber. "My office has already opened an investigation into this matter. I appreciate your intent to cooperate fully."

Kitzhaber did not know about the attorney general's investigation when he sent his letter, said Amy Wojcicki, a spokeswoman for the governor.

In the defiant letter to Rosenblum, Kitzhaber maintained he and his partner, Cylvia Hayes, have done nothing wrong but said an outside review is necessary because of a "rush to judgment currently underway in the Oregon media."

The request marked a change of direction for Kitzhaber, who previously insisted a state ethics commission could do an adequate investigation. Kitzhaber has stopped short of appointing a special prosecutor as his critics have requested.

A series of newspaper reports since October have shown that Hayes did paid consulting work for advocacy groups seeking to influence state government. At the same time, she took an active role in Kitzhaber's administration.

The scrutiny intensified last week, when the editorial boards at two newspapers called for Kitzhaber to resign.

In his request, Kitzhaber, a Democrat, asked Rosenblum to conduct "a full and independent factual review of any and all questions or allegations as you see fit." He pledged to fully cooperate and said he, Hayes and his office would turn over any materials requested.

"I deeply regret that this situation has become a distraction from the important work of our state and look forward to your review and its conclusions," Kitzhaber wrote.

Last week, Rosenblum, also a Democrat, called the allegations serious and troubling, and said her office was exploring her legal options.

On Monday, her spokeswoman, Kristina Edmunson, said the probe is a criminal investigation.

Kitzhaber has maintained that he and Hayes kept a clear separation between her public and private roles, However, public records suggest some of her work wasn't reviewed for conflicts until after it began. Hayes has not publicly addressed the allegations.

The Oregon Government Ethics Commission is conducting a preliminary review of the allegations and will decide in March whether a formal investigation is warranted. The seven-member commission, appointed by Kitzhaber, has limited jurisdiction to enforce Oregon's conflict-of-interest laws for public officials.

Kitzhaber and Hayes have hired lawyers to represent them in the commission proceedings.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/10/oregon-ag-investigating-governor-fiancee-over-ethics-issues/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Dems urge Oregon governor to resign, top official reveals ‘strange’ behavior
Published February 12, 2015
FoxNews.com

Embattled Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber faced stiff pressure from top-ranking fellow Democrats to resign on Thursday, shortly after the state's No. 2 official issued a statement describing the governor's recent behavior as "strange" and contradictory.

The latest calls to resign -- in the wake of influence-peddling allegations involving his fiancee Cylvia Hayes, a green-energy consultant -- came from the upper echelons of Oregon's government. Senate President Peter Courtney told reporters Thursday afternoon that he and House Speaker Tina Kotek have asked for Kitzhaber to step down.

"I finally said, `This has got to stop,"' Courtney said after he and Kotek met with the governor. "I don't know what else to do right now. It seems to be escalating. It seems to be getting worse and worse."

His remarks came after Secretary of State Kate Brown, who would be in line to succeed Kitzhaber should he step down, issued a statement calling this a "bizarre and unprecedented situation."

Brown had been summoned back to Oregon by the governor on Wednesday while she was attending a conference in Washington. Her abrupt return to Oregon fueled speculation that the governor was planning to resign.

Sources told The Associated Press that, in fact, he had decided to step down amid the ethics controversy involving his fiancée but changed his mind while Brown was en route back to Oregon.

In her statement, Brown described how Kitzhaber gave her conflicting messages.

She said she first heard from the governor late Tuesday afternoon. "He asked me to come back to Oregon as soon as possible to speak with him in person and alone," Brown said.

But when she arrived for the meeting with the governor on Wednesday, Brown said, "He asked me why I came back early from Washington, D.C., which I found strange."

According to Brown, he also sent conflicting signals about his future plans when she asked what he wanted to talk about.

"The Governor told me he was not resigning, after which, he began a discussion about transition," she said, adding that she told the governor she would be ready "should he resign."

Pressure to do so grew significantly on Thursday. The state treasurer also joined in the call for Kitzhaber to step down. "Unfortunately, the current situation has become untenable, and I cannot imagine any scenario by which things improve," said Treasurer Ted Wheeler, another Democrat. "Oregon deserves a governor who is fully focused on the duties of state."

Until Thursday's statement, Brown also had avoided weighing in on the controversy surrounding Kitzhaber. Her move further isolates him from other senior Democrats, none of whom have come to his aid.

It's not clear why Kitzhaber, a four-term governor who handily won re-election in November, decided he would stay put despite the mounting criticism. He issued a vague statement on Wednesday explaining he was not resigning.

"I was elected to do a job for the people of this great state, and I intend to continue to do so," Kitzhaber said, repeating a refrain he's uttered at least twice in the past two weeks.

Newspaper editorial boards and Republicans have called on him to leave office over allegations involving his fiancee, who has been under increasing scrutiny since October, when a series of reports chronicled her work for organizations with an interest in Oregon public policy. That work came about when she was serving as an unpaid adviser in the governor's office.

Amid the attention, Hayes revealed that she accepted about $5,000 to illegally marry an immigrant seeking immigration benefits in the 1990s. Later, she acknowledged purchasing a remote property with the intent to illegally grow marijuana.

Kitzhaber has denied any wrongdoing, saying he and Hayes took steps to avoid conflicts of interest. Though questions about Hayes have swirled for months, the pressure on Kitzhaber intensified in recent weeks after newspapers raised questions about whether Hayes reported all her income to on her tax returns.

In early February, Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum said she was launching a criminal investigation.

A fiercely private person, Kitzhaber has been forced to answer embarrassing and personal questions about his relationship. In response to questions at a news conference last month, Kitzhaber told reporters that he's in love with Hayes, but he's not blinded by it.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/12/dems-urge-oregon-governor-to-resign-top-official-reveals-strange-behavior/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #348 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »

BREAKING NEWS Friday, February 13, 2015 3:19 PM EST

Gov. John Kitzhaber of Oregon Resigns Amid Scandal
Gov. John Kitzhaber, long regarded as a wily survivor of Oregon politics, resigned Friday amid a spiraling crisis that included a criminal investigation of the role that his fiancée played in his administration as well as crumbling support from his Democratic Party colleagues.
It was a steep and rapid fall for Mr. Kitzhaber, 67, a former emergency room doctor who just last November won an unprecedented fourth term as governor. His resignation means that Kate Brown, the Oregon secretary of state and a fellow Democrat, will become governor, in accordance with the succession plan in the state constitution.

READ MORE »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/us/kitzhaber-resigns-as-governor-of-oregon.html?emc=edit_na_20150213

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
Ex-NY Assembly Speaker Silver indicted on 3 charges
Published February 19, 2015
Associated Press

Former New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver was indicted Thursday on three charges after his arrest last month in a federal bribery case.

The indictment was returned in Manhattan federal court, where he appeared last month briefly when he was freed on bail just a day after sharing the stage with Gov. Andrew Cuomo during his State of the State address. The charges are honest services mail fraud, honest services wire fraud and extortion under the color of his official duties.

"Our client is not guilty. We can now begin to fight for his total vindication. We intend to do that fighting where it should be done -- in court," Silver's lawyers, Joel Cohen and Steve Molo, said in a statement. Silver has said he is confident he will be vindicated.

Silver's arrest came after he had led the Assembly for over 20 years, becoming one of the most powerful and savvy figures in New York state politics.

But prosecutors said there was a dark side to his reputation as a potent backroom operator who played a major role in state budgets and laws, controlling which lawmakers sat on which committees and what bills got a vote.

The government said he had collected nearly $4 million in bribes and kickbacks since 2002 and disguised the proceeds as legitimate income.

The Democrat has since resigned as speaker but has said he intends to keep his Assembly seat.

Silver's arrest rocked the state Capitol, even though state lawmakers' arrests have become ruefully common. Some 28 New York legislators have stepped down because of criminal or ethical issues in the past 15 years. Four others remain in office while they fight charges, including Silver.

A day after announcing Silver's January arrest, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara told a breakfast meeting at a law school that it sometimes seems as if Albany had become a "cauldron of corruption."

He was particularly critical of what he called a "three-men-in-a-room" system of government that put too much control in the hands of the state's governor, Assembly speaker and Senate president.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/19/ex-ny-assembly-speaker-silver-indicted-on-3-charges/?intcmp=latestnews