Author Topic: Jasons PL Log  (Read 25192 times)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: Jasons PL Log
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 08:11:35 PM »
DE squat Day.  Short and sweet, but effective ;)

DE Box Squat with Cambered Bar 65lbs, counted as 45lbs
405x6x2-Felt like nothing, speed was really good.

Arched Back GM
Never done them before, checking them out to see if theyre worthy to be included.  They most definitely are.

GHR
4 sets

Abs

Stretch

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
Todays Training

ME SQ/DL

Rack Pulls-Below Kneecap, conventional Stance
Up to 765x1
I made 40 and fifty pound jumps here, all were triples up to 455.  Lots of volume!  Hooray!  Emphasis was on flexing my glute hard at the finish, As I believe my lockout, or lack thereof is what is keeping me from a 700lb deadlift.

Pulldown Abs
3 lighter higher rep sets
3 sets that were heavy that will make me painfully sore tomorrow

GHR
4 sets

Stretch/Talk Shit

Done
Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »
Got some good news from the doctor today, my BP is steady at 128/78, and my resting heart rate is at 74. This is on ECGT and a dip about 10 minutes prior. I think the niacin and fish oil are helping my cardiovascular system for sure.  Not too bad for a guy at 300lbs :D

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 07:00:11 AM »
Hey jason do you ever do deads with bands? What do you think of them? And do you think donig speed pulls after yoru squats is a good deal? I'm going to bug you for a few since you train the way I'm trying to learn...

with the conjugate method... i just rotate my MAIN exercises? Like for a three week mini cycle I could do one week me/de squats then one week me/de deads then another week me/de good mornings and then come back do to squats? Or do you always do the big three and then attack your weak points?

When you do max effort I know louie says 3 reps for bench, 2 for squats, and singles for deads.... on your ME day do you push for your hardest 3,2, or 1 rep set in each? Or get warmed up then start going for that big single in all of them?!

absolutely sick lifitng man..i can't wait to be where you are one day.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »
Hey jason do you ever do deads with bands? What do you think of them? And do you think donig speed pulls after yoru squats is a good deal? I'm going to bug you for a few since you train the way I'm trying to learn...

I do speed pulls alot after we squat on Fridays.  we often use the bands on this exercise as well.  I havent done them in a while because Ive been pressed for time with work/school/family commitments.

with the conjugate method... i just rotate my MAIN exercises? Like for a three week mini cycle I could do one week me/de squats then one week me/de deads then another week me/de good mornings and then come back do to squats? Or do you always do the big three and then attack your weak points?

We rotate main lifts and accessories all of the time.  Alot of the guys I train with will do different accessory work, as we have different weaknesses.  GHR's and Abs are a staple every workout, but we will do pullthroughs, stifflegs, OL squats, lots of different things.

When you do max effort I know louie says 3 reps for bench, 2 for squats, and singles for deads.... on your ME day do you push for your hardest 3,2, or 1 rep set in each? Or get warmed up then start going for that big single in all of them?!

Youre wrong here.  Only lift that calls for a triple is a goodmorning, and even then, its not necessary.  Right now, were trying to rotate SQ/DL ME main exercises as squat/goodmorning/deadlift/repeat.  I like to work up by using triples until they become very hard, and them moving to singles.  You are thinking of the reps that should occur with dynamic, or speed work.  Check out www.westside-barbell.com and read the articles.  There is a shitload of great info there.  You can call Louie too.  His phone number is out there.  He will call you back too if you have to leave a message.
absolutely sick lifitng man..i can't wait to be where you are one day.

Thanks Man!

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »
11/06/2007 ME SQ/DL

Cambered bar (65lbs) Parallel box squat
Worked up to 725x1 in a belt and some briefs that are so loose I can get to the box with no weight on my back, not even the bar. They also leave ZERO dig marks on my hips/thighs, which may not mean much to some, but a powerlifter will tell you that they are damn loose. They go on like gym shorts, and are almost loose enough to fall off. This was my second attempt at the ProAm in August by the way

Seated Rows
3 sets

DB Rows
3 sets

Laying leg curl
4 sets

Fin

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31:19 PM »
12NOV07 ME SQ/DL

Reverse mini SSB box squat
I was using some plain old junk mini bands.  They wernt hardly strong enough to pull the bar out of the rack. Id guess maybe 75-100lbs at the bottom, and zero at the top.  Once again I was in my ultra non-gangsterfied briefs, and, once again, zero marks on the legs after I was done.

Worked up to 455 Rawdog, and then added the belt. Worked up to 745x1, with a miss at 820.  IN PL weights, they were 725 and 800.  All powerlifters know EVERY bar weighs 45lbs, no matter what stupid gravity says.  I was super pissed off after missing the 820.  The spawn of satan that the SSB is absolutely ruined me out of the monolift.  My bitch made upperback wouldnt stay tight at the unrack, so it was a bear to get out.  After I got it out, it took 3-4 seconds to get my back right.  Descent was solid, and the back was good.  Came up strong off the box, made it to what I thought was about halfway.  It stalled out, I sat back down, and my spotters helped me get it back in the rack.  A miss.  It was 20lbs heavier with the worst bar ever than my best competition squat.  Im really hoping to be on track for 900+ in January.  Right now, the plan is to stay drug free until teh squat is 1000 or above.  We will see how it goes :D.

Also did some sled pulling with 4 plates x 4 trips
Got home and did the ab wheel and some purple band hip flexors for 4x15

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »
hey bro...mind if you ask me what you mean by pulling the sled?

and how much does box squatting effect your overall lower body power?

thanks bro

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
RE Day 11/17/07

OL Squat
up to 405x6...Holy shit these are hard

SLDL
405x8x3 sets

Leg Curl/GHR Situp/CV Shrug/Low Row
4 sets each at random

Stretch

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
hey bro...mind if you ask me what you mean by pulling the sled?

and how much does box squatting effect your overall lower body power?

thanks bro

Pulling the sled is just what it says.  Check out the description at www.elitefts.com in the store.  That would be easier than me trying to explain it.  As for the box squatting, it does wonder for squatting and pulling power.  I suck squatting off of a box, but get great carryover to my meet squat.  A guy I train with is awesome off of a box, but doesnt get the same carryover to his meet squat.  We did the same weight on our circa-max phase for our last meet, but my meet squat was 50lbs higher.  Its all relative.  You will see benefit from it though, and your crazy to not do them :D :D :D :D

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
This Weeks Workouts
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 07:05:21 PM »
Monday ME SQ/DL

Chain Suspended SSB GM
up to 425x1

I aboslutely suck at GM's. I mean Im freaking horrid at them.

GHR
4 sets

Low cable Row
3 sets

GHR Situps
4 sets

Friday DE SQ/DL

BOx Squat with 8 foot squat bar, Blue bands (250lbs@top) and paper briefs
7 sets of 2 reps up to 465lbs.

GHR
4 sets

Lat Pulldown
3 sets

45 degree back raise
3 sets

Abs
3 sets

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »
dude your workouts are awesome...

do you think that once you started working in a powerlifting environment that it helped your lifts more than anything else? ???

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 08:27:57 PM »
dude your workouts are awesome...

do you think that once you started working in a powerlifting environment that it helped your lifts more than anything else? ???

Thanks man.  Honestly, the environment, plus having the best equipment, is by far the biggest thing.

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »
Thanks man.  Honestly, the environment, plus having the best equipment, is by far the biggest thing.

Jason

what is the best advice you can give for checking yourself on squat depth?

if i go too deep i get loose and start wobblign..if i go too short i'll get called on it...

what would you suggest?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »
what is the best advice you can give for checking yourself on squat depth?

if i go too deep i get loose and start wobblign..if i go too short i'll get called on it...

what would you suggest?

HOnestly, never free squat in training and have good people with you at the meet who can accurately call depth for you.  Also, stop squatting in front of a mirror if you havent already.  You need to be able to feel depth, not see it.  Hopefully that makes sense. ;D :D ;D :D

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 07:03:22 PM »
Ive been sicker than a dog the last few weeks...2 to be exact. I didnt train at all the first week, and hit some very poor numbers last week...that being said, here are last weeks workouts:

ME SQ/DL
Conventional DL from floor 605x1 (605lb PR!!!!!)

GHR

Seated Cable Row

Abs

Friday:
DE SQ/DL
Box SQ with 8' bar:
up to 545 plus green band (160lbs?!?!)x2
Pretty easy, but my back was retarded from Monday. Still an easy weight for me.

GHR
GHR Abs
Arched back GM's

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 07:12:57 PM »
Ive been sicker than a dog the last few weeks...2 to be exact. I didnt train at all the first week, and hit some very poor numbers last week...that being said, here are last weeks workouts:

ME SQ/DL

GHR

Seated Cable Row

Abs

Friday:
DE SQ/DL
Box SQ with 8' bar:

GHR
GHR Abs
Arched back GM's

Jason

AWESOME pr bro! Pulling sumo then busting out a conventional pull almost as high as your sumo is awesome! 600 feels pretty good on teh hands doesn't it!  ;D Do you squat over the bar deep for them or do you just kinda bend over and pull like alot of people I know do?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 07:26:37 PM »
Today:

ME SQ/DL
Close Stance Cambered Bar Chain Suspended GM's
Up to 500 (525) plus 80lb of chain x1-50lb PR beeyotches!

Pulldown Abs
CV Shrugs
Low Cable Row

Jason

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 08:03:30 PM »

Excellent work on the PR, esp after a sick layoff. 

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 08:07:05 PM »
AWESOME pr bro! Pulling sumo then busting out a conventional pull almost as high as your sumo is awesome! 600 feels pretty good on teh hands doesn't it!  ;D Do you squat over the bar deep for them or do you just kinda bend over and pull like alot of people I know do?

Thanks man...I just bend over and rip it.  My form SUCKS SHIT on the conventional pulls...but Im working on that :D

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »
Thanks man...I just bend over and rip it.  My form SUCKS SHIT on the conventional pulls...but Im working on that :D

Jason

Dude get low...REAL low like you're at teh bottom of a squat and drive it hard with your legs..the momentum is some much greater that it doesn't take as much to polish it at the top with teh force it gets going. Your legs move it alot faster than your lower back does. I knwo i'm not the man. I just want to help where I can if I've been there and think it'll benefit you or anyone else. I ripped up 600 at the meet so fast that it was bouncing in my hands when I locked it out. It's learning what leg drive feels like..and squatting low like OVERLOAD told me to do made my deadlifts alot more effective. It's worth a try..maybe you could give me some squat pointers HAHA

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »
Dude get low...REAL low like you're at teh bottom of a squat and drive it hard with your legs..the momentum is some much greater that it doesn't take as much to polish it at the top with teh force it gets going. Your legs move it alot faster than your lower back does. I knwo i'm not the man. I just want to help where I can if I've been there and think it'll benefit you or anyone else. I ripped up 600 at the meet so fast that it was bouncing in my hands when I locked it out. It's learning what leg drive feels like..and squatting low like OVERLOAD told me to do made my deadlifts alot more effective. It's worth a try..maybe you could give me some squat pointers HAHA

Ill try it, but Ive got some bitch made legs...they tape out at a massive 27 inches LOL

Jason

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »

ME SQ/DL

GHR

Seated Cable Row

Abs

Friday:
DE SQ/DL
Box SQ with 8' bar:

GHR
GHR Abs
Arched back GM's

Jason

Very nice PB Jay.

That will translate nice into your sumo.

Very cool to see you doing the OL squats, I do a little of those suckers during off-season as well.
As empty as paradise

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »
Ill try it, but Ive got some bitch made legs...they tape out at a massive 27 inches LOL

Jason

Do you think it better to go super wide on yoru squats? Or do you suggest just gonig as wide as you can and can still get down to depth? super wide is nice but DAMN I can't get low with it...
those bitch made legs are psuhign 700 and better on squat..bitch made my ass

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 08:51:57 PM »
Do you think it better to go super wide on yoru squats? Or do you suggest just gonig as wide as you can and can still get down to depth? super wide is nice but DAMN I can't get low with it...
those bitch made legs are psuhign 700 and better on squat..bitch made my ass

Yes, the wider the better...depending on what federation you compete in.  Super wide will get you nothing but red lights in the single ply feds.  As for the flexibility, dont worry, it will come.  Also be careful squatting super wide, as it beats on your hips.

Jason