Author Topic: Any Bird Peeps here?  (Read 16056 times)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: Any Bird Peeps here?
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
Maybe he'll learn to type too.

Probably won't be able to tell the difference between his posts and flowers

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
Maybe he'll learn to type too.

Probably won't be able to tell the difference between his posts and flowers

Possibly, birds are very intelligent.
  ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »
dweetir is a very kewl name, interesting and unusual... lol.   :D

You know, I need to work on naming my animals more.  My greys name is Bird.   I'm Birdbird or BIRDBIRDFUCKER to her.  Its simple and easy to remember, but not the best of names.  

My Amazons name is Tamale and he loves to yell, HOT TAMALE, HOT TAMALE, GETTEM HOT, HOT TAMALE when he's in a good mood (which is rare, hes such a grumpy old bastard  ;) ).  Its seriously annoying but funny.  

Flower, the bird looks good in the pictures you posted.  I got your messages, but I've been hammered at work the last two days with some serious emergencies.   I should get a chance later tonight to sit down and answer your questions.  I'm not ignoring you, I just haven't had time to do much of anything except run around like an idiot who'd lost their special nickle and bouncy ball.  

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2008, 05:48:32 AM »

Thanks Vet!!  And thanks for letting me pick your bird brain! ha - that's a joke.  ;D

dweetir did not do a good job of keeping an eye on the dogs yesterday.  Addie moved the baby gate that I lean against he couch arm that she has destroyed and she worked on it some more.   >:(    I think I have finally smartened up and I zip tied the baby gate to the arm so it can not be moved.  There is no stuffing in that arm anymore, it is chewed leather over the wood frame.  I suppose I could roll a towel or something under the leather flap and give it some cushion now that she can't get to it?   ::)

w8m8

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2008, 07:47:45 AM »
Awww , in all fairness to dweetir I'm sure there were a few firm words said but Addie prolly just felt the newbie has no real clout yet !

I'm looking forward to these stories .
I'm thinking dweetir is just a baby still so the new fresh foods you have will be an adjustment , plus I think they have some individual taste preferences and some things they just don't take a liking to.

I can't wait to know his/her first word(s).

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
I  think it will be some time before he talks, and SUns aren;t the most talkative.

But i love lil dude or dudette
   :D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2008, 08:58:02 PM »
baby gate

I hear people should be very careful around those things  :)
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2008, 06:27:25 AM »
I hear people should be very careful around those things  :)

They should!!!   >:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »
dweetir had another bath this morning and it went so much better. He seemed to enjoy it. I put the kitchen faucet on a nice warm slow shower and he sat on my hand under it.  He got nine in wet.  They I put him in a towel and dried him a bit, then brought him upstairs.  He is sitting on another play gym (he now has upstairs one, one for the kitchen, and on that came on top of his cage.  I turned the blow dryer on warm and low and dried him a bit.  I read that it is okay to use a blow dryer but it can dry out the feathers and skin if used to much, but it is winter and colder here so I thought getting him to "just damp" would be fine.  He didn't seem bothered by it.  As you can see in the pics he is still damp.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »
He's still being picky about eating fresh foods and pellets, that is going to be a slow process.   He did eat some apple this morning.  He only got fresh foods, I hung some mustard greens, brocolli, and parsley, like a sprig in his cage and put some banana and apple in his bowl.  Then he has his pellets (Zupreem Natural, Harrisons Hi- Potency, and Tops Organic) in his other bowls.  No seed mix!!  When he gets piss later on for dinner because he is "starving" I will put some of his seeds at the bottom of the bowl under his fresh foods and pellets and he will have to dig through the other stuff to get them.   ;D

With the pellet foods I ordered (they came in yesterday and I ordered Thurs! That was fast service!!) They included 3 little sample hand toys. 2 little balls out of that stuff they like to tear apart (wicker?) and a small toy with the leather string and some chew and baubles on that he had a good time sitting on my leg playing with while watching tv.  I will have to get more of those because in the stores you can really only find hanging cage toys or blocks. 

At one point Briona, Tad and the bird were all with me in the chair.  So far the dynamics in the house are smooth.   ;)

w8m8

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »
Great service from that company !! nice pics ,dweetir's so colorful,  thanks for the update...incredibly smooth dynamics :D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2008, 02:50:30 PM »
I luff dweetir.  ;D  I'll be thinking of the little guy tomorrow as I go under anesthesia.
:D Weee

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
dweetir ate only fresh foods and pellets today! -  Yeah!!  He likes the Zupreem Natural (I threw out the colored stuff) and I think the TOPS, hard to tell with the Harrisons because they are so small.  He like cauliflower (organic) get all over his beak, yams (organic), I think carrots, and some of the greens, not sure what he was picking out. He ate for some time, his head bobbing up and down the whole time.   :)  I am trying to get organic if at all possible.

Then when he was done (he was eating out of a bowl on top of the cage play top) I was standing there deleting stuff on my phone and he walked down the little steps and came over and started chewing on my phone, he wanted attention after his meal.

I have cut up a whole bunch of fresh foods for the next couple days that I can just add some warm stuff too (I made 16 bean soup minus any seasoning) and add some fruits.  This will save time from doing it twice a day.

So I think we are making some good progress.  (he's trying to get the keys of the keyboard so I guess I'm done here!!)

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow Laura -  I hope it goes well!!   :-*

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
dweetir ate only fresh foods and pellets today! -  Yeah!!  He likes the Zupreem Natural (I threw out the colored stuff) and I think the TOPS, hard to tell with the Harrisons because they are so small.  He like cauliflower (organic) get all over his beak, yams (organic), I think carrots, and some of the greens, not sure what he was picking out. He ate for some time, his head bobbing up and down the whole time.   :)  I am trying to get organic if at all possible.

What size Harrisons did you get?  The pellets for a bird his size aren't "tiny".   You should be feeding a High Potency Fine because this is a "weaning" bird you are trying to convert from seed.  You could also feed Adult Lifetime fine or Coarse once the bird is established.  If you have any sort of a problem with Harrisons, call their customer service number on the bag.  They used to (and I'm pretty sure they still do) send sample packets for things like what you posted.  Just talk to their customer service reps.  If they give you the run around, PM me and I'll call them for you. 

Then when he was done (he was eating out of a bowl on top of the cage play top) I was standing there deleting stuff on my phone and he walked down the little steps and came over and started chewing on my phone, he wanted attention after his meal.

I have cut up a whole bunch of fresh foods for the next couple days that I can just add some warm stuff too (I made 16 bean soup minus any seasoning) and add some fruits.  This will save time from doing it twice a day.

So I think we are making some good progress.  (he's trying to get the keys of the keyboard so I guess I'm done here!!)[/color]

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow Laura -  I hope it goes well!!   :-*

Remember, this is a baby bird you got from a petstore.  Its going to have to explore the world around it--like chewing on the phone, tasting your keyboard, etc.  Up until this bird was brought home, you can more or less bet the world was quiet until ~9 AM when the staff got there and unlocked the doors.  Then the lights would come on and the noise would stop.  People in and out all day long, new noises, smells, scary dogs, annying kids, etc.  Then, the end of the day, the lights go out and no sounds until it repeats again the next day.  If you think of things that way---like a psitticine who knows the world is out to get him, moving to a "normal" 'quiet" house is one hell of a shock. 

Also be patient with this bird shifting ot whole foods.  Right now its in a scary new household, its more than likely going to hold onto what he knows is safe--including seed in his diet.  Let him explore the new world and be patient with the conversion.   The old, 1/4 for 3 days, 1/2 for 3 days, 3/4 for 3 days, converted  works for some birds that are in established households, but its much more difficult with birds that aren't established.  Sometimes it'll take longer, sometimes less.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2008, 04:13:55 AM »
I got the Harrisons Hi-Potency fine because he is under 6mos.  They are really tiny compared to the Zupreem or Tops, he doesn't have to hold him in his foot to eat so that's how I can't tell when he is chewing one. I believe that he is eating them, he seems to like the Zupreem first choice.   I appreciate the offer on calling Harrison's.  So how long to keep him on high potency, 6-8 months?  edit: He is eating Harrisons, it's just hard for me to pinch a pellet in my fingers to give it to him and see if he eats it or drops it - lol.   The Tops I don't think he cares for.  I will keep adding it to the mix since I have it, but if he doesn't like it by the time it is gone I will just give him the Zupreems and Harrisons.   I actually ordered from http://yourparrotplace.com/  so I could order both Harrions and Tops together and save shipping. 

After we went back downstairs later he went back to town on his fresh food!  He had zero seed yesterday and was an eating machine!   :)   I will be giving him some seed, but I probably won't for a few days since he is eating so good on the pellets and fresh (he is crunching away and talking as he is eating his pellets now) and then give him some seed a day so his main diet will be pellets and fresh food. 

hahaa - on this house being quiet!  Well it probably is for the most part during the day, but when I am home it isn't!!   
:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2008, 06:10:09 AM »
Here's me last night sitting in the recliner with Briona on my left (she always sits in the chair with me unless I am eating) Tad at my feet, and dweetir on my lap on the bird poop protection towel!!  lol   

dweetir doesn't care if they are near him.  Except maybe a few times when I was standing and he was on my hand and Emmett came over.  Then he seemed a bit unsettled.  I do the "finger over a toe" trick she showed me at the pet store so if he started to freak and flutter I have a hold of him.  A couple of times he has let me know that is not necessary by beaking me, but I informed him it was even if it was for my own sanity.   :)

One time he did get to the floor, he came down from his play top on top of his cage and the dogs just looked at him, didn't rush him, kind of acted like it was no biggie. I'm not really afraid they will bite him, but a big Dane paw could really hurt him.   Briona usually looks at him like he really is unworthy of her attention and bores her. The same look she gives me when I tell her she has to go out and go potty and she finds me a petty annoyance to be ignored.
  ::)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05:06 AM »
Here's me last night sitting in the recliner with Briona on my left (she always sits in the chair with me unless I am eating) Tad at my feet, and dweetir on my lamp on the bird poop protection towel!!  lol   

hahahaha!  What a crew!

Good stories and pics Flower, keep them coming :)
R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2008, 07:29:31 AM »
LOL omg I love dweetir.   :D

:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »
hahahaha!  What a crew!

Good stories and pics Flower, keep them coming :)

you ever get "the eye" from the doggies STella?  They won't even move their head, just one eye gracing you with it's gaze. Sometimes Briona will wag her tail but still not move anything else but one eyeball.  I have to threaten to "Superfly" her ass to get her to move. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
I don't think dweetir likes getting up at 6am.   ::)    I went to work late because Addie had to go in to get her blood drawn so no sense going back and forth, so I gave dweetir another bath.  He likes them.   :)   And his light fluff blow dry afterwards till slightly damp. 

But when I get home  :o   SQWUAK SQWUAK SQWUAK!! 

and when it was bedtime he was ready to go into his cage and decided he could just fly off my hand into it  ::) so I caught him and he beaked my hand pretty fricken hard!!   >:(      Didn't break the skin but he got me in a soft spot. 
>:(

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2008, 09:00:36 AM »
I don't think dweetir likes getting up at 6am.   ::)    I went to work late because Addie had to go in to get her blood drawn so no sense going back and forth, so I gave dweetir another bath.  He likes them.   :)   And his light fluff blow dry afterwards till slightly damp. 

But when I get home  :o   SQWUAK SQWUAK SQWUAK!! 

and when it was bedtime he was ready to go into his cage and decided he could just fly off my hand into it  ::) so I caught him and he beaked my hand pretty fricken hard!!   >:(      Didn't break the skin but he got me in a soft spot. 
>:(
dweetir is saying "where the hell you been biatch!" >:(

w8m8

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2008, 10:33:44 AM »

lolozzz ..
~flower~ TY I needed this thread today  :-* :-* :-*

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »

lol!!!   This morning (since I got to go in late) I did the treadmill so I put dweetir on top of his cage on his play perch and I could see he was dozing off but every once in a while he would say something. He needed some coffee I could tell.

I'll have to get of video him squawking, he does it just to do it.  ::)  I can see why they say don't get one if you live in an apartment.   ;D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
There's a guy that lives in the townhouse diagonal from mine.  He has two Maccaws (I think they are called).  And sometimes he will put their HUGE cage outside and they squawk like crazy.

w8m8

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »
One time I was little and my Mom was in the backyard hanging out laundry , the neighbors ( they were new ) had a backyard that met ours ,there was big hedges in between the property .

You couldn't see from yard to yard , so my Mom heard this "girl" yelling for help and then saying "Oh No" , well when the "girl" yelled for help the 2nd time my Mom yelled back "what's wrong can I help you ? "  The "girl" started saying "Oh No" again and there went Mom thru the hedges like a bulldozer .

Come to find out they had a huge red and green parrot that could talk really good

my Mom was not happy  :D Dad laughed his azz off when he came home and heard ,  thought it was safe to laugh too when he did  ::)

we had cereal for supper  :-[