Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 980182 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #1075 on: April 06, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »

The District 21 Medical Examiner ruled his death was a homicide because he had been restrained and sprayed with pepper sprayed by law enforcement officers. But to this day, nobody has ever been charged with a crime, and the Lee County State Attorney cleared the sheriff's office of any wrong doing.

Any more info on this? Were the Medical Examiner's findings ignored?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1076 on: April 07, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
A recent solicitation from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) reveals that the agency is seeking a "massive" online database capable of pulling up individuals' personal information, connections and associates.

On March 28, ATF posted the notice on FedBizOpps.gov, entitled "Investigative System."  The solicitation was updated on April 5 with a few minor changes.

The document says that the system will be utilized by staff "to provide rapid searches on various entities for example; names, telephone numbers, utility data and reverse phone look-ups, as a means to assist with investigations, and background research on people, assets and businesses."

The system is described as a "massive online data repository system that contains a wide variety of data sources both historically and current that can be utilized in support of investigations and backgrounds."

The overview of the solicitation states:

Staff will utilize "a number of internal databases as well as external sources to provide timely and relevant information and intelligence products to law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local levels."

The system "provides a means to rapidly check records across the country" and is "necessary in assisting investigators, agents and analyst to find people, their assets, relatives, associates and more."

The ATF says they will use this system to provide information to Intelligence Analysts, Special Agents, Inspectors, Financial Investigators and Law Enforcement.

The investigative system will allow ATF to "obtain exact matches from partial source data searches such as, incomplete social security numbers, address, VIN numbers, etc."

The system will also have the ability to "link structured and unstructured data to find connection points between two or more individuals."

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1077 on: April 07, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
You seemed pretty cool with 2 of your collegues shooting 2 unarmed women in a van, so i just assumed. Your are not cool with this?

In fairness....these were not cops abusing and murdering this guy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1078 on: April 07, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
Furor Over Colorado Bill to Give Secret Service Agents Police Powers
 The New American ^ | 6 APril 2013 | Bob Adelmann

Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:48:13 AM by CodeToad

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper is expected to sign into law a bill that would give the U.S. Secret Service "limited" police power while operating in the state of Colorado. The bill, SB 13-013, which has already been passed by both the Colorado House and Senate, has sparked a firestorm of controversy because of fears that the proposed power could be used by Secret Service agents, acting on behalf of the Obama administration, to arrest sheriffs in Colorado who refuse to enforce unconstitutional federal gun controls.

(Excerpt) Read more at thenewamerican.com ...

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1079 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »
Furor Over Colorado Bill to Give Secret Service Agents Police Powers
 The New American ^ | 6 APril 2013 | Bob Adelmann

Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:48:13 AM by CodeToad

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper is expected to sign into law a bill that would give the U.S. Secret Service "limited" police power while operating in the state of Colorado. The bill, SB 13-013, which has already been passed by both the Colorado House and Senate, has sparked a firestorm of controversy because of fears that the proposed power could be used by Secret Service agents, acting on behalf of the Obama administration, to arrest sheriffs in Colorado who refuse to enforce unconstitutional federal gun controls.

(Excerpt) Read more at thenewamerican.com ...

If the "federal gun controls" in question are unconstitutional, then the Sheriffs should want to get arrested, so the matter could end up in Court and the controls in question struck down. I'm not clear on what these "federal gun controls" are, but you'll forgive me if I don't take Mr. Bob Adelmann at his (from the looks of it, biased) word that they are, actually, unconstitutional.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1080 on: April 08, 2013, 06:12:31 AM »
So you do care?

Yes, I'm busting your balls for using the phrase wrong.

valid ball busting

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1081 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1082 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/biker_dent_do_it_uEA4ZUy6dv6KqwUV9F5bXK

Lol.  Fuvking hipster probably deserved it.

Just reading the one sided article, it asks us to believe it was the fault of the cops because . The bike left the bike lane to make a left hand turn, looked and saw no cars coming..

"“I had left the bike lane to make a left turn, and I looked behind me and saw that it was clear, and the farthest car was a fair distance,” he said.

Johnsen said he signaled to make the turn onto North Elliott Place from Flushing Avenue, but before taking the turn, he said, he “was swiped by this car on my left side.”

Unless the Taurus appeared out of thin air, it is pretty likely he just didn't see the car and pulled out in front of it. Might explain why the cops were unapologetic  ;)  Being hit would be prima fascia  evidence the way wasn't clear to make the turn correct?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1083 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Not necessarily... Car could have been traveling at a high rate of speed.

I remember sitting at a stop sign and the car in front of me was waiting to make a left turn... I looked both directions I would assume around the same time they would.

Coast was clear.

The person in the car went to make the left and got pummeled by another car.

No doubt the car that hit them was speeding... by a large amount I would wager, but of course, that's not what was normal.

Cops came and didn't even ask me what I saw... just told me to move on. I tried to talk to them, but they told me to keep it moving.

From the injury to the biker, it would likely not be speeding,.but I'm just guessing.

Sounds like a sorry job the cops did on that crash you witnessed. Independent witnesses are gold in things like that unless the situation is obvious, like someone rear ended another car in which case it's irrelevant why the car in front stopped, the person who hit them is always at fault. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1084 on: April 08, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
Here's a good example of the blue wall....which we're told doesn't exist...lol

At least the Chief is going above and beyond, IMO, and handling this objectively and professionally.  Props.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/03/report_battle_creek_police_chi.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1085 on: April 08, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1086 on: April 08, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »

At least the Chief is going above and beyond, IMO, and handling this objectively and professionally.  Props.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/03/report_battle_creek_police_chi.html

“I have watched police officers in my department commit acts of excessive force, evidence destruction and internal cover-ups in crime reporting,” the message said. “… While I have attempted to notify the leadership of both the police department and city officials responsible in employee oversight; I have been met with death threats and lack of backup during investigations …”

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1087 on: April 08, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »

“I have watched police officers in my department commit acts of excessive force, evidence destruction and internal cover-ups in crime reporting,” the message said. “… While I have attempted to notify the leadership of both the police department and city officials responsible in employee oversight; I have been met with death threats and lack of backup during investigations …”

Yep.

Did someone say, 'Serpico' ?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1088 on: April 09, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »

I'm not sure this is actually a good example. Other articles go into more detail about it. I agree that the Chief is doing exactly the right thing. In our departments history we have examples of police covering up for other police officers, we also have examples of disgruntled officers making exaggerated claims of corruption. At that department, the claims, whether true or not were affecting morale, and the Chief was smart to ask for an outside probe. The FBI doesn't do investigations just for the sake of doing them without there being evidence to support  the concerns.

You can read about 2 apd officers firing being upheld recently on the internet. Officer Gish was spit in the face by a combative female who was restrained on a gurney. The female officer lost her cool and struck the woman in the face. Another officer had to pull her off. The officer who pulled her off lied about why he pulled her off. She lied about why and how she reacted . Had they both been truthful, they would have survived. While striking someone in the face for spitting in your face is never acceptable from a police officer, it is understandable. There would have been discipline but likely not termination. The officer who pulled her off, had he said exactly what happened, would have actually come out looking very good. He felt compelled to minamize the situation and lost his job over it.       

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1089 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »
http://weaselzippers.us/2013/04/08/massachusetts-man-shoots-and-kill-bear-in-self-defense-police-charge-him-with-illegally-killing-bear

LOL!!!  WTF was the guy supposed to do?  Wrestle the bear to the ground? 

I would just say, we've heard his side of the story. It wouldn't surprise me if it's later made public that he had made comments about killing the bear to nieghbors. Not saying he did, just that newspaper articles may not be the ultimate source for all the facts.

But I can top that story anyway...we may have talked about it before... a Texas man was charged with a crime by the game warden because a DOVE flew into his glass window and broke its neck. The man cleaned and BBQ's the dove and posted a picture on FaceBook. Someone notified the game warden who ticketed him because it was not Dove season.........true story....   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1090 on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:57 AM »

Yep.

Did someone say, 'Serpico' ?

Yet the chief, who reached out to the FBI for a probe, says the officer never made a complaint. He has 2 detectives who investigate such allegations and according to another article I read, said there is no record of such allegations. Be interesting to see how this plays out.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1091 on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
Yet the chief, who reached out to the FBI for a probe, says the officer never made a complaint. He has 2 detectives who investigate such allegations and according to another article I read, said there is no record of such allegations. Be interesting to see how this plays out.   

Really?  You mean he's received death threats and has to worry about his partner letting him get capped.

Yeah...I guess maybe when you're facing the blue wall you don't wanna file a complaint. 

Might just live longer.

In any event, I applaud the Chief.  And it wouldn't even have to be the FBI (maybe legally it does, I don't know), but from the stand point of trying to be honest and objective, letting an outside agency even at the State level goes a long way.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1092 on: April 09, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »

But I can top that story anyway...we may have talked about it before... a Texas man was charged with a crime by the game warden because a DOVE flew into his glass window and broke its neck. The man cleaned and BBQ's the dove and posted a picture on FaceBook. Someone notified the game warden who ticketed him because it was not Dove season.........true story....   

I can't see a judge upholding that.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1093 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:29 AM »
Sasquatch, Nessie, Area 51, Blue Wall, Ghosts,

While you and I both know there are ocassions where police covered up for police, and probably today there will be an ocassion like that, in my experience, that blue wall has gone from 10' tall from the early days of policing to about 2' tall today and it many places it's got huge holes in it. I posted stats earlier this year that showed the majority of complaints against police are generated BY police. I also spoke of a firing of an officer who tried to minimize another officers actions after being spit on. Yes, the officer tried to cover something up, and yes that officer was terminated. I think that has to say something about the changing enviornment. So if you are arguing the blue wall exists, I would argue that to an extent it does and the height varies department to department but it's coming down. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1094 on: April 10, 2013, 05:22:12 AM »

I can't see a judge upholding that.

The very last of the dove insanity

Posted on October 30, 2012

Last post about the game bird, I promise.

First up is this interview I did with Elizabeth Trovall of NPR’s State Impact.  She put together a fantastic overview of exactly what happened and I appreciated getting all of the facts out there.

Next, I did an interview with a fellow Austin food blogger who goes by the name RL Reeves Jr over at Scrumptiouschef.com.  That man makes one hell of a gumbo, too.

Finally, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department asked me to be part of a PSA-like short that explains which law I unknowingly broke and why that law is in place.  It also has my friend Cecilia Nasti talking about the wonder of local, sustainable meat.  I’ve only sort of watched it—mostly because I don’t care much for how I look—but a lot of other people say it’s very well done.

So it seems from a couple blogs I read that the charge was dropped before it got to court.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1095 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »
Sasquatch, Nessie, Area 51, Blue Wall, Ghosts,

Wow, you named things that don't exist so the Blue Wall must not exist either.  Everybody's been fooled.  ::)

While you and I both know there are ocassions where police covered up for police, and probably today there will be an ocassion like that, in my experience, that blue wall has gone from 10' tall from the early days of policing to about 2' tall today and it many places it's got huge holes in it. I posted stats earlier this year that showed the majority of complaints against police are generated BY police. I also spoke of a firing of an officer who tried to minimize another officers actions after being spit on. Yes, the officer tried to cover something up, and yes that officer was terminated. I think that has to say something about the changing enviornment. So if you are arguing the blue wall exists, I would argue that to an extent it does and the height varies department to department but it's coming down.  

Let me try again to help you see beyond your Blue Wall.

The incident you are using as an example that it doesn't exist is a prime example that it does.

Conveniently you left out the fact that 2 other cops were suspended over this.  ::)

You have an officer that did something bad.  You had THREE officers try to cover it up in various ways.

^^^ That's called a BLUE WALL.

Just because the wall isn't 100% effective all the time doesn't mean it's not there.

There is zero doubt that if it wasn't caught on tape and there were no EMS people involved...NOTHING would have happened to the cops.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1096 on: April 10, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

IRS: We can read emails without warrant

By Brendan Sasso - 04/10/13 12:56 PM ET

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has claimed that agents do not need warrants to read people's emails, text messages and other private electronic communications, according to internal agency documents.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which obtained the documents through a Freedom of Information Act request, released the information on Wednesday.

In a 2009 handbook, the IRS said the Fourth Amendment does not protect emails because Internet users "do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications." A 2010 presentation by the IRS Office of General Counsel reiterated the policy.

Under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986, government officials only need a subpoena, issued without a judge's approval, to read emails that have been opened or that are more than 180 days old.

Privacy groups such as the ACLU argue that the Fourth Amendment provides greater privacy protections than the ECPA, and that officials should need a warrant to access all emails and other private messages.

Traditionally, the courts have ruled that people have limited privacy rights over information they share with third parties. Some law enforcement groups have argued that this means they only need a subpoena to compel email providers, Internet service companies and others to turn over their customers' sensitive content.

But in 2010, a federal appeals court ruled that police violated a man's constitutional rights when they read his emails without a warrant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from The Hill
 • House Judiciary threatens subpoena over DOJ kill memos
 • Manchin, Toomey reach gun deal including background checks
 • White House to begin furloughs in May

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the court decision, U.S. v. Warshak, the IRS kept its email search policy unchanged in a March 2011 update to its employee manual, according to the ACLU.

In an October 2011 memo obtained by the ACLU, an IRS attorney explained that the Warshak decision only applies in the Sixth Circuit, which covers Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee.

But the attorney noted that if a service provider fought the search request, it would likely result in "protracted litigation," meaning that any leads from the emails would be "stale" if the IRS ever obtained them.

The IRS did not respond to a request to comment.

The ACLU also submitted requests for documents from the FBI and the Justice Department on their policies for emails searches, but has not received responses yet.

Lawmakers in both chambers are working on legislation that would update the ECPA to require a warrant for emails and other private online messages.

At a hearing last month, Elana Tyrangiel, the acting assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's Office of Legal Policy, agreed that there is "no principled basis" for treating emails differently depending on how old they are.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/292989-irs-claims-it-can-read-emails-without-a-warrant#ixzz2Q71cUN00
 Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1098 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:14 AM »
Wow, you named things that don't exist so the Blue Wall must not exist either.  Everybody's been fooled.  ::)

Let me try again to help you see beyond your Blue Wall.

The incident you are using as an example that it doesn't exist is a prime example that it does.

Conveniently you left out the fact that 2 other cops were suspended over this.  ::)

You have an officer that did something bad.  You had THREE officers try to cover it up in various ways.

^^^ That's called a BLUE WALL.

Just because the wall isn't 100% effective all the time doesn't mean it's not there.

There is zero doubt that if it wasn't caught on tape and there were no EMS people involved...NOTHING would have happened to the cops.

I think we're splitting hairs. The example I gave should indicate that kind of behavior isn't tolerated by the chain of command. That it happens from time to time even when the culture is changing is true, however I think you and I agree that the only way to change it is to send a clear message that it will not be tolerated. I know of many examples where cops reported bad behavior on other cops and the statistics of our I.A. bears that out. The LAST thing a department wants is cops violating peoples rights and breaking the law. The last thing most cops want is that very same thing. And I didn't conveniently leave  anything out, the fact 2 other cops were also suspended for it just supports my position. I was making a point that the department doesn't tolerate that behavior.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1099 on: April 11, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-0411-20130411,0,7328502,full.column

Watch this video - not about police abuse - but why people need to be armed. 

This is what the liberal communist pieces of shit would force us all into.