Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 983408 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #575 on: August 27, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
When Heroes Become Bureaucrats: Why cops and firefighters stood by as a man drowned in San...
City Journal ^ | Summer 2011 | Steven Greenhut
Posted on August 27, 2011 1:50:33 AM EDT by neverdem

Why cops and firefighters stood by as a man drowned in San Francisco Bay

On Memorial Day, a suicidal man waded into San Francisco Bay outside the city of Alameda and stood there for about an hour, neck-deep in chilly water, as about 75 bystanders watched. Local police and firefighters were called to the scene, but they refused to help. After the man drowned, the assembled “first responders” also refused to wade into the water to retrieve his body; they left that job for a bystander.

The incident sparked widespread outrage in northern California, and the response by the fire department and police only intensified the anger. The firefighters blamed local budget cuts for denying them the training and equipment necessary for cold-water rescues. The police said that they didn’t know if the man was dangerous and therefore couldn’t risk the safety of their officers. After a local TV news crew asked him whether he would save a drowning child in the bay, Alameda fire chief Ricci Zombeck gave an answer that made him the butt of local talk-show mockery: “Well, if I was off duty, I would know what I would do, but I think you’re asking me my on-duty response, and I would have to stay within our policies and procedures, because that’s what’s required by our department to do.”

If you stand a better chance of being rescued by the official rescuers when they are off duty, it naturally leads people to question the purpose of these departments, which consume the lion’s share of city budgets and whose employees—in California, anyway—receive exceedingly handsome salaries. In Orange County, where I worked for a newspaper for 11 years, the average pay and benefits package for a firefighter is $175,000 a year. Virtually every Orange County deputy sheriff earns, in pay and overtime, over $100,000 a year, with a significant percentage earning more than $150,000. In many cities, police and fire budgets eat up more than three-quarters of the city budget, and that doesn’t count the unfunded liabilities for generous pension packages, which can top 90 percent of a worker’s final year’s pay. It’s hard to argue that these departments are so starved for funds that they’re entitled to stop saving lives.

After I wrote a newspaper column deploring the Alameda incident, I received many e-mails from self-identified police officers and firefighters. Though a few were appalled by the new public-safety culture they saw on display, most defended it; some even defended Zombeck’s words. Many made reference to a fire in San Francisco that week that had claimed the life of at least one firefighter. The message was clear: Don’t criticize firefighters, because they put their lives on the line protecting you. There’s no doubt that firefighters and police have tough and sometimes dangerous jobs, but that doesn’t mean that the public has no business criticizing them—especially as they become infected with the bureaucratic mind-set spread by public-sector union activism. The unions defend their members’ every action; to the extent that they admit a problem, they always blame tight budgets.

The unions that represent first responders also have a legislative agenda to reduce oversight and accountability. I recall when a state assembly member closely aligned with public-safety unions contacted me about a union-backed bill that was too egregious even for his taste. Sponsored by a firefighters’ union after a district attorney prosecuted an on-duty firefighter for alleged misbehavior that led to a death, the bill in its original form would have offered immunity to firefighters even for gross negligence on the job. The legislation failed after the media started paying attention and ignited a contentious public debate. Perhaps the outrage at the Alameda incident will likewise cause a far-reaching discussion—one that helps restore the principle that the real constituency for public safety is the public, not bureaucrats and government workers.

Steven Greenhut is the director of the Pacific Research Institute’s Journalism Center, editor-in-chief of CalWatchdog.com, and a columnist for the Orange County Register.

I think you can agree that it is refreshing when the government honors a persons personal rights to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. This falls in line with your mantra that the government intrudes in our lives way too much. In this case, I think some of them were reading your posts and recognized they would be violating that guys rights if they intervened and there would be a post on here titled "First responders violate citizens rights"

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #576 on: August 27, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
http://www.dailypress.com/news/gloucester-county/dp-nws-gloucester-sheriff-abbott-0827-20110826,0,3563854.story

MIDDLESEX ——
Sheriff Guy L. Abbott was indicted Thursday on 25 felony criminal counts that include embezzlement and bribery following a nearly two-year investigation.

Abbott was arrested on the charges Thursday and processed at the Peninsula Regional Jail in James City County, said Brian Gottstein, spokesman for the Virginia Office of the Attorney General. Abbott was released on a personal recognizance bond.

A special grand jury that began meeting earlier this year in the basement of the Gloucester County Courthouse indicted Abbott on 18 counts of misuse or misappropriation of public assets, four counts of embezzlement and three counts of bribery. The crimes are alleged to have occurred from 2000 through 2008, Gottstein said.

Abbott declined to comment under advice of his attorney.

Abbott was elected to the office of Middlesex County Sheriff in 1999 and was sworn in on Jan. 1, 2000. He has continued in his capacity as Middlesex Sheriff throughout the investigation that's spanned nearly two years.

The Attorney General's Office authorized a criminal investigation of Abbott in November 2009 and his office was raided in March 2010. Affidavits filed in courts in York, James City and Chesapeake have sought Abbott's emails from a Gmail account, records of purchases with a credit card he used as sheriff and other documents.

Some search warrants and other documents related to the cased that have been filed in Middlesex Circuit Court remain sealed.

Affidavits filed in other courts by Jennifer S. Brown, special agent accountant for the Virginia State Police, list crimes related to the investigation as embezzlement, embezzlement by officers of public or other funds and other charges.

Abbott's first appearance in Middlesex County Circuit Court will be Sept. 7 at 9:30 a.m. Abbott has filed for re-election this year and is being challenged by three other candidates.

Glad to see an example of the system working when a criminal in uniform is uncovered and indicted...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #577 on: August 27, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
I know right... It only took 11 fucking years.

Wonder how many peoples lives he ruined in that time.

ruined? probably none.. but it's time he faced the music. Embarrassment to law enforcement everywhere.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #578 on: August 29, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-08-25/19-of-50-slain-police-killed-in-ambushes/50138148/1

WASHINGTON – Nearly 40% of police officers fatally shot this year have been slain in ambush-style attacks or when they were surprised by suspects with firearms, according to a USA TODAY review of officer deaths.

The killings, many stunning for their brutality, have some law enforcement and Justice Department officials scrambling to provide additional protection or training for their forces.

Of the 50 officers killed by gunfire this year — a 32% increase from the same time last year — at least 19 were victims of ambush or surprise attacks, according to a review of the case summaries and interviews with police officials.

The increase in gun-related officer deaths is particularly troubling since violent crime in much of the nation has been in steady decline. "This is a devastating and unacceptable trend," Attorney General Eric Holder told law enforcement officials this month in Washington. "Too many guns have fallen into the hands of those who are not legally permitted to possess them."

Holder has launched a broad review of officer-safety in the wake of rising gunfire fatalities, citing the need for more research to help officers survive violent encounters, including ambush-style attacks.
(excerpt)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #579 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
Police officer11 of 11
Police recorded a big jump in fatalities in 2010, especially when it came to shootings and vehicle accidents.Fatality rate per 100,000 workers: 18
Median wage: $55,620

The number of police officers killed on the job skyrocketed 40% in 2010 to 134 from 96 the year before.

Craig Floyd, CEO of the National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial Fund in Washington, said that the increase in police fatalities has continued into 2011 with year-to-date deaths up 22% through early August.

"They're taking away training dollars, equipment dollars and manpower dollars," said Floyd. "When you cut law enforcement budgets people, including officers, die."

Floyd said that, with fewer officers on the streets, criminals also seem more willing to shoot at them than in the past.

However, one of the main culprits when it comes to police killings are traffic accidents, said Floyd.

Traffic-related accidents were up 37% in 2010 and represented 56% of all fatalities. Only two occurred in high-speed pursuits, he said, with the rest occurring on routine patrol.

"We see a lot of crashes when officers are responding to emergency calls," he said. "Officers are different. They want to help and they put themselves at potential life-threatening peril to help others."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #580 on: August 30, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Surveillance photo shows officer in sex act: Some viewers may find this photo offensive
KOB.com ^ | 8/29/11 | E Garcia

KOB Eyewitness News 4 has obtained surveillance pictures of a State Police officer having sex with a woman on the hood of a car in broad daylight.

State Police aren't saying anything about the photos, but KOB Eyewitness News 4 is pressing for answers.

Two weeks ago KOB reported a story about an officer caught on camera having sex while in full uniform, an act shown on security camera at the Santa Fe Canyon Ranch.

(Excerpt) Read more at kob.com ...

LMAO - I hope it was worth it for this guy.   

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #581 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
Surveillance photo shows officer in sex act: Some viewers may find this photo offensive
KOB.com ^ | 8/29/11 | E Garcia

KOB Eyewitness News 4 has obtained surveillance pictures of a State Police officer having sex with a woman on the hood of a car in broad daylight.

State Police aren't saying anything about the photos, but KOB Eyewitness News 4 is pressing for answers.

Two weeks ago KOB reported a story about an officer caught on camera having sex while in full uniform, an act shown on security camera at the Santa Fe Canyon Ranch.

(Excerpt) Read more at kob.com ...

LMAO - I hope it was worth it for this guy.   

"Stop resisting!"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #582 on: August 30, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
 :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #583 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #584 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
They always told us in the academy, the badge will get you pu**y but the pu**y will get your badge... not worth the job...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #585 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »
Woman Faces 15 Years in Prison for Recording Police
Forbes ^ | 24 Aug | Kain

“The felony charge against Tiawanda Moor has finally reached a courtroom.

Moore faces up to 15 years in prison for recording her attempt to report a Chicago cop who she says sexually assaulted her. Moore says she recorded the conversation because she felt Internal Affairs officers were pressuring her not to file a complaint. The Tribune article focuses on whether or not that claim is true. Which really misses the point.

State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez ought to be tossed on her tuckus for bringing this case in the first place. In a city with a long history of police abuse and corruption, where we only recently learned that for two decades people were tortured in police stations while Chicago police supervisors, prosecutors, and politicians looked the other way, it’s an absolute outrage that Alvarez would prosecute a woman for trying to protect herself while trying to file a complaint. And shame on the Illinois legislature for not having the courage to repeal this ugly, blatantly unconstitutional law."

So let me get this straight. A woman is allegedly sexually assaulted by a police officer. Worried that the police might be corrupt – can’t imagine why – said woman records her conversation with internal affairs. The state attorney then proceeds with criminal charges because…okay, I can’t continue. My brain hurts. What is wrong with these people?

I hear this a lot from people who say we need to trade off civil liberties for security: If you’ve done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear (from cameras, domestic spying, DNA gathering from innocent people, the Patriot Act, etc.)...

(Excerpt) Read more at forbes.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #586 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
Feds go after Idaho man who shot grizzly bear to protect his family (Jack boot thug alert)
Michelle Malkin ^ | 8/31/2011 | Michelle Malkin

Maybe it’s time to start a Jackboot Watch feature.

We’ve got DOJ lawyers going after Gibson guitars. There’s the ongoing Fast and Furious debacle. Add the eco-nitwit rogues at the Interior Department. Then there’s the War on Lemonade Stands.

And now, we’ve got the U.S. Attorney in Idaho filing federal charges against Jeremy Hill, a father who shot a grizzly bear on his property to protect his wife and kids — even though state officials who investigated the case thoroughly took no action against the man. He now faces up to a year in prison and a $50,000 fine. He pleaded not guilty last week and faces trial in October:
**snip**
Having lived in bear country for three years now, I can say with certitude that I’d do the exact same thing if faced with the situation Hill found himself in. Absolute certitude.

Idaho GOP Gov. Butch Otter has appealed to Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to intervene on Hill’s behalf. Not likely that Obama’s Loathsome Cowboy Salazar will do anything to help, but Otter’s letter will at least bring needed attention to this injustice.

(Excerpt) Read more at michellemalkin.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #587 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Owners Angry After Cops Shoot Dog in Backyard
NBC ^
Posted on September 10, 2011 2:13:55 AM EDT by Borough Park

-snip-

But Samuelson's neighbor, Fernando Perez, said he told the cops several times that Ozzy was roaming in the back.

When the security alarm system at the home went off, Samuelson called Perez to check it out while she made the 20-minute drive to her house, he said. Perez said he knew not to go into the backyard because of the dog and when officers arrived, he warned them.

"'Be careful. It’s a big dog,' I told them. They told me to go back to my house," said Perez, who repeated the warning several more times. "Before I get to my driveway, I hear the two shots. They walked into the backyard with the guns in their hand. Then they ran from the backyard like they were scared or something."

Samuelson said she got Ozzy to protect the house and deter thieves. Police have not said what triggered the alarm.

"He was our protector," Samuelson said. "He’s a huge part of our family."

(Excerpt) Read more at nbcmiami.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #588 on: September 10, 2011, 05:22:58 AM »
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2776299/posts

Pic at site.     Hopefully these pigs will do this to the wrong homeowner some time in the future.

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
Re: ATF Agent Pleads Guilty to stealing money, planting drugs and framing people
« Reply #589 on: September 10, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »
And had Vernon Howell not been a child molester. . . .

"the guy's real name was Vernon, FFS!! let him be a messianic child molester for a while, what's it to ya??"

Not x1 child from the compound, reported being sexually molested & there was NO evidence of a Meth lab either. Another Goy eats up the MSM party line ::)

"Why do we not see 'Bradley Tanks' shooting fire into blockaded Catholic church's?? If child molestation is your concern that is"

Another enemy of the state painted as a nonce, quell surprise!! If he had of survived he would have died in a car accident. With the other party mysteriously vanishing into thin air.
Never seen that before......

Timothy James McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) RIP

PT
Growth/noob loves me

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #590 on: September 13, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »
TSA officers arrested on drug charges in Conn.
Last Updated: 10:35 AM, September 13, 2011

STAMFORD, Conn. — Federal prosecutors in Connecticut say a state trooper, a police officer and three Transportation Security Administration officers based at airports have been arrested on charges of participating in a conspiracy to distribute tens of thousands of highly addictive painkiller pills.

Authorities say the TSA officers, based at airports in Florida and New York, a Westchester County, N.Y., police officer and a Florida state trooper received cash payments to help transport oxycodone pills from Florida to New York and Connecticut and/or transport cash proceeds from the sale of the drugs back to Florida.

Authorities plan to announce details of the arrests at a news conference in Stamford on Tuesday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/tsa_officers_arrested_on_drug_charges_hyGeqc8GW8r27TFmGcMX6K#ixzz1XqYLCOe1

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #591 on: September 14, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »
LOL, 3333, got a graphic you'll love...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #592 on: September 21, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »
APNewsBreak: CA Police Officer Charged With Murder (Kelly Thomas beating)
ABC News/AP ^ | September 21, 2011 | GILLIAN FLACCUS

A defense lawyer says a police officer has been charged with murder in the death of a mentally ill homeless man in Southern California.

Attorney John Barnett says his client, Fullerton police Officer Manuel Ramos, surrendered to authorities Wednesday and was being charged with second-degree murder.

The Orange County district attorney's office was set to announce the charge in the death of 37-year-old Kelly Thomas after a violent confrontation on July 5 with Fullerton officers.

Six officers were placed on paid administrative leave after the incident that occurred while police were investigating reported vehicle break-ins at a transit hub.

Thomas suffered severe head and neck injuries and was taken off life support five days later.

(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...

________________________ ____________

Good - disgusting what happened to this guy.   I only hope the father gets some peace of mind knowing his son was calling out for him. 

and for this scumbag killer cop? 
 I hope he rots in a cell and gets raped daily and bleeds out of his ass to death.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #593 on: September 21, 2011, 02:24:43 PM »
Solyndra execs to plead Fifth in hearing
The Daily Caller ^ | 9/20/11 | C.J. Ciaramella

The chief executive and chief financial officer of Solyndra will invoke their Fifth Amendment rights and decline to answer any questions at a congressional hearing on Friday.

According to letters obtained by Reuters, Solyndra attorneys have advised CEO Brian Harrison and CFO W. G. Stover to not testify at a hearing of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. (RELATED: Rahm Emanuel on Solyndra: I don’t remember)

“I have advised Mr. Harrison that he should decline to answer questions put to him by this subcommittee based on his rights under the Fifth Amendment,” Harrison’s attorney, Walter F. Brown Jr., wrote to the the committee. “This is not a decision arrived at lightly, but it is a decision dictated by current circumstances.”

The House Energy and Commerce Committee opened an investigation into Solyndra after the solar panel manufacturing company — which received a $535 million loan from the Department of Energy — announced it would be declaring bankruptcy earlier this month.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #594 on: September 21, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Solyndra execs to plead Fifth in hearing
The Daily Caller ^ | 9/20/11 | C.J. Ciaramella

The chief executive and chief financial officer of Solyndra will invoke their Fifth Amendment rights and decline to answer any questions at a congressional hearing on Friday.

According to letters obtained by Reuters, Solyndra attorneys have advised CEO Brian Harrison and CFO W. G. Stover to not testify at a hearing of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. (RELATED: Rahm Emanuel on Solyndra: I don’t remember)

“I have advised Mr. Harrison that he should decline to answer questions put to him by this subcommittee based on his rights under the Fifth Amendment,” Harrison’s attorney, Walter F. Brown Jr., wrote to the the committee. “This is not a decision arrived at lightly, but it is a decision dictated by current circumstances.”

The House Energy and Commerce Committee opened an investigation into Solyndra after the solar panel manufacturing company — which received a $535 million loan from the Department of Energy — announced it would be declaring bankruptcy earlier this month.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading this earlier.  Below is a link to the DA's report, spelling out exactly what happened from their investigation and reasons for the charges.

It's really fucked up to read what was done to this guy.

2 officers charged, the others skated IMO.

http://documents.latimes.com/charges-kelly-thomas-police/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »
New Jersey Cop Attacked Woman Who Filmed Him at DWI Checkpoint
Reason.com ^ | September 16, 2011 | Mike Riggs
Posted on September 23, 2011 10:38:48 PM EDT by Immerito

Leslie Rosario and Jessamine Roman have filed suit against the Ridgefield Park Police Department, claiming that an officer assaulted Rosario when she refused to hand over her cell phone at a DWI checkpoint. The Record reports that Rosario filmed the stop as the car's driver, Juan Calle, was being administered a sobriety test:

(Excerpt) Read more at reason.com ...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #596 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »

I was reading this earlier.  Below is a link to the DA's report, spelling out exactly what happened from their investigation and reasons for the charges.

It's really fucked up to read what was done to this guy.

2 officers charged, the others skated IMO.

http://documents.latimes.com/charges-kelly-thomas-police/
I don't get the connection?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #597 on: September 25, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
I don't get the connection?

You mean why I think the other officers should be charged?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #598 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

The Federal Reserve Plans To Identify “Key Bloggers”& Monitor Billions Of Conversations About....
The Economic Collapse ^ | ???
Posted on September 25, 2011 9:02:53 PM EDT by blueyon

**The Federal Reserve Plans To Identify “Key Bloggers” And Monitor Billions Of Conversations About The Fed On Facebook, Twitter, Forums And Blogs**

The Federal Reserve wants to know what you are saying about it. In fact, the Federal Reserve has announced plans to identify "key bloggers" and to monitor "billions of conversations" about the Fed on Facebook, Twitter, forums and blogs. This is yet another sign that the alternative media is having a dramatic impact. As first reported on Zero Hedge, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York has issued a "Request for Proposal" to suppliers who may be interested in participating in the development of a "Sentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution". In other words, the Federal Reserve wants to develop a highly sophisticated system that will gather everything that you and I say about the Federal Reserve on the Internet and that will analyze what our feelings about the Fed are. Obviously, any "positive" feelings about the Fed would not be a problem. What they really want to do is to gather information on everyone that views the Federal Reserve negatively. It is unclear how they plan to use this information once they have it, but considering how many alternative media sources have been shut down lately, this is obviously a very troubling sign.

You can read this "Request for Proposal" right here. Posted below are some of the key quotes from the document (in bold) with some of my own commentary in between the quotes....

(Excerpt) Read more at theeconomiccollapseblog. com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #599 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
South Florida ICE Chief Indicted on Child Pornography Charges
Right Side News ^ | 9/29/2011 | Erick Hamme

Mugshot of ICE director for Miami, Fla., Anthony Mangione, charged with the transportation, receipt, and possession of child pornography.

(CNSNews.com) - The chief of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in south Florida has been indicted on charges of transportation, receipt, and possession of child pornography.

Following a nearly six-month investigation, federal investigators searched 50-year-old Anthony Mangione’s home in April and found “one or more” images of “a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct.”

Mangione has served 27 years in law enforcement and has headed up ICE’s regional office since July 2007.

He entered a not guilty plea on Wednesday, and at the request of the both the defense and prosecution, the judge ordered that he be sent to Miami for a psychological evaluation.

The indictment states that Mangione knowingly transported “by any means, including by computer, one or more visual depictions, where the production of such visual depictions involved the use of a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct and the visual depictions are of such conduct.”

The transportation and receipt charges carry minimum sentences of 5 years. The possession charge carries a maximum of 10 years and if convicted on all charges, a maximum of 50 years in prison.

According to the press release announcing the indictment, Mangione also faces a “term of supervised release of five years to life following his prison sentence, and will be required to register as a sex offender in any jurisdiction in which he lives, works, or attends school.”

In a 2008 press release after ICE put a man behind bars for 10 years for using the Internet to lure in a minor for sexual activities, Mangione was quoted as saying, “This case reveals the disturbing truth that child predators will go to great lengths to sexually exploit minors ... ICE is committed to identifying and arresting these individuals who seek to victimize children and help ensure that justice is served.”