Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 983172 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #1450 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/police-brutality-new-jersey-report_n_4555166.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

99% of complaints go uninvestigated

Correct me if I am wrong.... I read the article and it appears to be inaccurate.

"A whopping 99 percent of all complaints regarding police brutality are left uninvestigated in central New Jersey, according to a Courier News and Home News Tribune report published this week.

Between 2008 and 2012, citizens "filed hundreds of complaints alleging brutality, bias and civil rights violations by officers in more than seven dozen police departments in Central Jersey," the report reads. However, it adds that only 1 percent of these complaints -- seven percentage points below the national average of 8 percent -- were "upheld by the internal units tasked with investigating complaints against their colleagues."

In the majority of cases, the police agencies reportedly "either 'exonerated' the officers, dismissed the complaints as frivolous, determined that they did not have sufficient evidence or simply never closed the investigation
"

Reading the article from a person with insight into the process, the article wants to say 99% are never investigated, but what it actually says is out of the complaints investigated, 1% are confirmed, or what would be called "Founded" it doesnt mean they were not investigated. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1451 on: January 08, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
Foxes guarding the hen house maybe? 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1452 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong.... I read the article and it appears to be inaccurate.

"A whopping 99 percent of all complaints regarding police brutality are left uninvestigated in central New Jersey, according to a Courier News and Home News Tribune report published this week.

Between 2008 and 2012, citizens "filed hundreds of complaints alleging brutality, bias and civil rights violations by officers in more than seven dozen police departments in Central Jersey," the report reads. However, it adds that only 1 percent of these complaints -- seven percentage points below the national average of 8 percent -- were "upheld by the internal units tasked with investigating complaints against their colleagues."

In the majority of cases, the police agencies reportedly "either 'exonerated' the officers, dismissed the complaints as frivolous, determined that they did not have sufficient evidence or simply never closed the investigation
"

Reading the article from a person with insight into the process, the article wants to say 99% are never investigated, but what it actually says is out of the complaints investigated, 1% are confirmed, or what would be called "Founded" it doesnt mean they were not investigated. 

The next time i visit Jersey remind me to drive like an old lady. I dont want to give these people any excuse.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1453 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
Foxes guarding the hen house maybe? 

Maybe, or many complaints are bogus or unfounded when the evidence is reviewed. Could be a combination

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1454 on: January 08, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
Maybe, or many complaints are bogus or unfounded when the evidence is reviewed. Could be a combination

How can they come to this conclusion if they are left uninvestigated ?

And how do you gather evidence if you dont investigate?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1455 on: January 08, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »

How can they come to this conclusion if they are left uninvestigated ?

And how do you gather evidence if you dont investigate?

You couldn't. I think the article is either slanted or poorly written. Here is how it typically works

A complaint comes in. Each complaint is initially reviewed by an investigator. In our dept they are also reviewed by a Civilian Police Monitor and our investigators are the rank of Sergeant. Those that are obviously bogus, for example, Officer J. Smith shot me in the leg and you find 1. The complainant has no injury and Officer Smith was on vacation in Hawaii, you don't continue with the investigation, but that isn't to say it wasn't reviewed.

If there is a possibility the complaint is true, then it is cataloged and placed in the system. If it is of a nature where the officer, if found to have committed the allegation would be fired, then it is investigated as a Class A, and done by Internal Affairs in conjuction with the police monitor designee. If it is of a lesser nature, then the supervisor of the officer is assigned and works along with an I.A. Laison Sergeant. The results are reviewed up the chain of command to the Asst Chief

The results can be ..No, the alleged action did not take place which is unfounded. Or the alleged conduct did take place but was within policy and state lawwhich is exhonerated or there is not enough evidence either way to either determine it did or didnt happen which is inconclusive. Or it did happen and it would be sustained.   

All complaints are reveiwed at this department and taken seriously. To say 99% of all abuse complaints are not investigated is just poor journalism to say the least.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1456 on: January 08, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Maybe New Jersey is really messed up.... but I doubt that is the norm, and I doubt the articles content based on how it was written.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1457 on: January 08, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
You couldn't. I think the article is either slanted or poorly written. Here is how it typically works

A complaint comes in. Each complaint is initially reviewed by an investigator. In our dept they are also reviewed by a Civilian Police Monitor and our investigators are the rank of Sergeant. Those that are obviously bogus, for example, Officer J. Smith shot me in the leg and you find 1. The complainant has no injury and Officer Smith was on vacation in Hawaii, you don't continue with the investigation, but that isn't to say it wasn't reviewed.

If there is a possibility the complaint is true, then it is cataloged and placed in the system. If it is of a nature where the officer, if found to have committed the allegation would be fired, then it is investigated as a Class A, and done by Internal Affairs in conjuction with the police monitor designee. If it is of a lesser nature, then the supervisor of the officer is assigned and works along with an I.A. Laison Sergeant. The results are reviewed up the chain of command to the Asst Chief

The results can be ..No, the alleged action did not take place which is unfounded. Or the alleged conduct did take place but was within policy and state lawwhich is exhonerated or there is not enough evidence either way to either determine it did or didnt happen which is inconclusive. Or it did happen and it would be sustained.   

All complaints are reveiwed at this department and taken seriously. To say 99% of all abuse complaints are not investigated is just poor journalism to say the least.

Thanks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1458 on: January 08, 2014, 12:14:06 PM »
To say 99% of complaints don't merit outside investigation sounds ludicrous no? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1459 on: January 08, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »

Yes.. it is ludicrous and really not even what the article said. Well, it said to conflicting things. the first paragraph says 99 percent go uninvestigated. The next one says of all the cases investigated, only 1% are upheld (Founded) so the writer has his head up his ass. At this point I would  have to shitcan the article and start from scratch to find out the real story. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1460 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »
Yes.. it is ludicrous and really not even what the article said. Well, it said to conflicting things. the first paragraph says 99 percent go uninvestigated. The next one says of all the cases investigated, only 1% are upheld (Founded) so the writer has his head up his ass. At this point I would  have to shitcan the article and start from scratch to find out the real story. 

I haven't read the article, but based on your description it sounds as if the author claims that:

Out of 100 complaints, 99% are not investigated. Of the 1% that are investigated, only 1% are actually upheld. As sad as those numbers may sound, I don't doubt that they could be accurate.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1461 on: January 09, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
I haven't read the article, but based on your description it sounds as if the author claims that:

Out of 100 complaints, 99% are not investigated. Of the 1% that are investigated, only 1% are actually upheld. As sad as those numbers may sound, I don't doubt that they could be accurate.

Well, that's what the author wants the average reader to think.. but what the article really says is that all are reviewed/screened, most are investigated, and of those that are investigated 1% are actually upheld.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1462 on: January 09, 2014, 08:09:54 AM »

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1463 on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »

I was reading through the full report, but this was mentioned.

"Police enjoy a level of workplace confidentiality not granted to private-sector professionals in the state, where complaints and disciplinary rulings against attorneys, plumbers, accountants and hairstylists, all identified by name, are posted on state websites"

No real surprise with cops expecting special treatment.

At least one political official is starting to wake up.

"“It’s long since past the day where you can say with a straight face that it’s OK to have officers investigate their own. It just isn’t a good system,” Barnes said."

Notice how we haven't hear shit about the cops who tried to murder those 2 ladies in CA thinking they were a large black man?  ::)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1464 on: January 09, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »
Cops detain a drunk driver. They leave him, handcuffed, at a Taco Bell as a joke cause the man was Mexican. He is run over by cars and killed after, in a drunken stupor, he runs into traffic.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/01/09/64369.htm

The three cops involved are fired and convicted. With support from their Union, at least one has been hired back with back pay, after arguing that the officer fired was fired for action he did not take at a crash scene when there was no crash scene.

Fucking ridiculous... those are cops - and cop unions - for you.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1465 on: January 10, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »

I was reading through the full report, but this was mentioned.

"Police enjoy a level of workplace confidentiality not granted to private-sector professionals in the state, where complaints and disciplinary rulings against attorneys, plumbers, accountants and hairstylists, all identified by name, are posted on state websites"

No real surprise with cops expecting special treatment.

At least one political official is starting to wake up.

"“It’s long since past the day where you can say with a straight face that it’s OK to have officers investigate their own. It just isn’t a good system,” Barnes said."

Notice how we haven't hear shit about the cops who tried to murder those 2 ladies in CA thinking they were a large black man?  ::)

Yeah what happened with that one?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1467 on: January 13, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »

Yeah what happened with that one?

And the press has completely let it go...imagine.  I'm shocked.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1470 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/17/over-criminalized-scientist-settles-7-year-legal-nightmare-with-feds-over

Insane 

Penalties seemed a little harsh but otherwise I think I agree with the gubmint on this one.  (Not that y'all know what "this one" is since Soul Crusher, that lazy beeyotch, is back to posting links with no description whatsoever.)

Lady scientist got in trouble for feeding killer whales without authorization which doesn't seem so bad...until you realize that it's pretty much like feeding bears around a campground. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1471 on: January 17, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
Penalties seemed a little harsh but otherwise I think I agree with the gubmint on this one.  (Not that y'all know what "this one" is since Soul Crusher, that lazy beeyotch, is back to posting links with no description whatsoever.)

Lady scientist got in trouble for feeding killer whales without authorization which doesn't seem so bad...until you realize that it's pretty much like feeding bears around a campground. 

The whales were feeding off a dead carcass and she was studying it. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1473 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
http://nypost.com/2014/01/19/cops-beat-elderly-man-after-he-jaywalked

NYC Finest

Insane. The runaround his son allegedly got - from the police and the hospital - is also quite fucked up. I predict a large settlement but, sadly, not much in the way of sanctions for the police department or the cops involved.

On a more personal note, I never thought that I would say this but may "an eye for an eye" should be codified.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #1474 on: January 22, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
An Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper with a history of domestic violence won't face charges related to alleged sexual encounters involving a boy, Sandusky County Sheriff's Deputy Sean O'Connell said.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/5202236

Disturbing pun with the county name (Sandusky)... And this guy with all this record of domestic violence and abuse is still a cop (and doesn't face charges)...