Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 983248 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #3700 on: March 19, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
Transparency and accountability...

Four billboards in Wichita, Kansas. They want justice for Andrew Finch.

Four billboards in Wichita, Kansas.

“Andy Finch is dead. If you believe in justice, it’s time to file charges.”

The billboards refer to the fatal shooting of Finch, 28, who was killed by a Wichita police officer on Dec. 28 after being victim to a “swatting” call, allegedly placed by a man in Los Angeles.

Wichita police haven’t released the name of the officer who fired the shot, and have only said that he’s a 7 ½ year veteran of the department.

While Kansas law and written city policy don’t prevent the Wichita Police Department from releasing the officer’s name, the city has no intention of doing so, following an unwritten rule that the names of officers involved in shootings are not released unless the officer is charged with a crime.

The officer hasn’t been charged.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article205493299.html

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3701 on: March 19, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
I suppose it depends on where you live as to the accountability or transparency. It's been my experience there was a high amount of accountability and the transparency allowed by law. But I certainly concede there are cases around the country where that isn't the case.

That’s good of you as a retired cop to acknowledge that.
Thanks.

Then how do the public go about changing that if you have any ideas / thoughts

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3702 on: March 19, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »

That’s good of you as a retired cop to acknowledge that.
Thanks.

Then how do the public go about changing that if you have any ideas / thoughts

I don't have all the answers, but I have an opinion. It takes a holistic or comprehensive solution, some of which is already in play in many departments but still has a ways to go in many others.

The public should continue to put pressure on as far as accountability and transparency. But that also means the public needs to be fair minded as well. For example, we have a group in Austin that is anti police. Peaceful Streets Project is anything but peaceful. They wish all cops dead and no cop is good. Everything is criticized and so they have lost any credibility. No one listens to them. Be a critique but have an open mind. Attend some of the Forums the departments have where back and forth civil discussions can be heard from both sides.

The police from the Top down, especially from the top down needs to demand from their officers or deputies professionalism. Lying even a little bit in a report should be grounds for termination. From the bottom up, the academies should be teaching Corruption of the Nobel Cause, the book I mentioned. Field Training officers should be compensated for their training of rookies, and held accountable. Any FTO found telling an officer to "Forget what you learned in the Academy, I'm going to show you how it's done" should be fired.

Just from my observation, as people my age retire, and a new generation comes on board, it is a great opportunity to instill in them what should have been the back bone of policing from the start, to protect and to serve, emphasis on the serving part. Police should have a community mindset.. how can I help the community be better. Not just catching bad guys. You can catch bad guys all day but if the nieghborhood has no hope, blight sets in, and communities fall apart. Learn to work with community leaders to help improve the area. It lowers crime and makes to police job easier in the long run.

When a cop screws up or commits a crime, make it clear where we stand. Police Unions need to get their act together and stop the politics. Call and duck a duck. The career isn't for everyone, and not everyone should be in the career. If someone demonstrates they don't belong, help them out the door to where they can be successful doing something else BEFORE they hurt someone or diminish public trust. And cops who clearly break the law should serve the maximum sentence. They had a badge, public trust and were expected to honor it. No backdoor deals or soft sentences for corruption or illegal activity.

Just a few ideas on what needs to happen and I believe it will as I have seen progress in my time..   

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3703 on: March 20, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
Let's see if the killer will go to prison. Not holding my breath though. It is possible that they could overcharge him to trick the family and the public to a faint hope of justice, only for him to be found not guilty because of overcharging or a jury that is reluctant to sentence a cop.

Officer who fatally shot Justine Damond charged with murder, turns himself in

The Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an Australian woman in July was charged with murder Tuesday after he turned himself in when a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Officer Mohamed Noor turned himself in on Tuesday in connection to the 2017 death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond. his attorney confirmed.

The criminal complaint remained sealed by midday Tuesday, but according to the jail roster Noor was booked on a third-degree murder charge for perpetrating an eminently dangerous act while showing a "depraved mind." The second-degree manslaughter charge alleges he acted with "culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk."

Damond was shot July 15, minutes after calling 911 to report a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her home. The 40-year-old life coach’s death drew international attention, cost the police chief her job and forced major revisions to the department’s policy on body cameras.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman was scheduled to discuss charges Tuesday afternoon.

Noor, a 32-year-old Somali-American, has not talked publicly about the case and declined to be interviewed by state investigators.

In a statement Tuesday, Damond's family praised the charges, calling them "one step toward justice."

"No charges can bring our Justine back. However, justice demands accountability for those responsible for recklessly killing the fellow citizens they are sworn to protect, and today's actions reflect that," the statement said.

A policeman who was with Noor at the time of the shooting, Matthew Harrity, told investigators that he was startled by a loud noise right before Damond approached the driver's side window of their police SUV. Harrity, who was driving, said Noor then fired his weapon from the passenger seat. Damond died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The officers did not turn on their body cameras until after the shooting, and there was no squad camera video of the incident.

The lack of video was widely criticized, and Damond's family members were among the many people who called for changes in procedure, including how often officers are required to turn on their cameras.

The shooting also prompted questions about the training of Noor, a two-year veteran and Somali-American whose arrival on the force had been celebrated by city leaders and Minnesota's large Somali community. Noor, 32, had trained in business and economics and worked in property management before becoming an officer.

Then-Chief Janee Harteau defended Noor's training and said he was suited to be on the street, even as she criticized the shooting itself. But Harteau — who was on vacation when the shooting happened and didn't make her first public appearance until several days after the shooting — was forced out soon after by Mayor Betsy Hodges, who said she had lost confidence in the chief.

Harteau's replacement, Medaria Arradondo, quickly announced a policy change requiring officers to turn on their body cameras in responding to any call or traffic stop.

If convicted of third-degree murder, Noor could face a maximum of 25 years in prison, though the presumptive sentence is 12 ½ years. A judge could issue a sentence ranging from about 10 ½ to 15 years.

The second-degree manslaughter charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, but the presumptive sentence is four years.

Jail records show he’s being held on $500,000 bail.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/20/officer-who-fatally-shot-justine-damond-turns-himself-in-charges-pending.html

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3704 on: March 20, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
In this incredibly rare case, even the police chief is calling for the killer to be prosecuted but the DA chooses not to. Even the killer's partner does not appear to think that the (now dead) man was trying to grab his firearm.

D.A. declines to charge former LAPD officer in fatal shooting of homeless man near Venice boardwalk

Prosecutors won't criminally charge a now-former Los Angeles police officer in the fatal shooting of a man near the Venice boardwalk — a decision that bucks an unprecedented call by Chief Charlie Beck to prosecute one of his own for a deadly, on-duty shooting.

"Having analyzed the evidence as part of our administrative review, I am in agreement with Chief Beck that Officer Proctor should have been charged with manslaughter," he said.
I respect our D.A. very much. She is a personal friend. But I disagree with her on this decision.”

Lacey's office said Thursday that she did not consider the Police Commission's decision, nor a $4-million settlement the city of L.A. awarded to Glenn's mother and young son, when weighing the case. The district attorney said she also did not factor in Beck's opinion.

Glenn was fatally shot May 5, 2015, as police tried to detain the 29-year-old after he fought with a bouncer outside a Windward Avenue bar. Proctor and his partner intervened, and a struggle began.
Proctor told investigators that he opened fire because he saw Glenn's hand on his partner's holster and thought Glenn was trying to grab the officer's gun, according to an LAPD report made public in 2016.
But video from the bar and statements from Proctor's partner disputed that account, according to the report. Glenn's hand was never seen "on or near any portion" of the holster, the report said, and his partner never made "any statements or actions" suggesting Glenn was trying to take the gun.
Beck said Thursday that the footage showed that Proctor's belief "was not only incorrect, it was also very difficult to tell why somebody would come to that conclusion."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-shooting-glenn-20180307-story.html

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3705 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
In this incredibly rare case, even the police chief is calling for the killer to be prosecuted but the DA chooses not to. Even the killer's partner does not appear to think that the (now dead) man was trying to grab his firearm.

D.A. declines to charge former LAPD officer in fatal shooting of homeless man near Venice boardwalk

Prosecutors won't criminally charge a now-former Los Angeles police officer in the fatal shooting of a man near the Venice boardwalk — a decision that bucks an unprecedented call by Chief Charlie Beck to prosecute one of his own for a deadly, on-duty shooting.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-shooting-glenn-20180307-story.html

Couple observations. Cops are not lawyers. The Chief could very well believe and KNOW that the officer violated department policy regarding use of force. He may NOT know all the criteria that goes into making a prosecutable  case like this one. For example, it's not enough that it is clear to those watching the video that the victim was not going for the officers gun. It is what could the officer see at the time and was it reasonable or unreasonable to believe he was going for the officers gun at the time. It must be looked at without the benefit of hindsight.

Having said that, this case bothers me on a couple levels. Did the partner every communicate to the officer that fired the shot, that the victim was going for his gun? In my experience, when someone is trying to take your gun, you absolutely know it. and you absolutely announce it to your partner(s).  If I was in that exact same instance, and I have been in similar (I can't attest to the man's strength, what was being said at the time, nor what transpired prior to the video) before it ever crossed my mind to step back and shoot with my firearm I would first trap the mans hand that I thought was going for the gun, (which at that time I would have realized he wasnt) and used leverage to get him on the ground. Or would have deployed my taser.

I think the officer thought the man was going for his partners gun. That wouldn't be unreasonable given the position of everyone. But I don't believe it reached the level of deadly force. I think the problem with the D.A. declining to prosecute does a disservice to the accused and the public. If in fact the D.A. thought it wasn't winnable then it would clear the officer at least in court and people would at least have had their day in court.   

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3706 on: March 22, 2018, 10:49:30 AM »
$1m is a joke for the 31 years this man lost. Moreover, 115 years for rape and burglary? Insane.

Tennessee grants $1 million to wrongly convicted man

A man jailed for 31 years for a crime he did not commit has won $1 million compensation.

The Tennessee Board of Claims unanimously voted to compensate Lawrence McKinney, 61, on Wednesday.

Imprisoned in 1978 for rape and burglary, Mr McKinney was freed in 2009 and formally exonerated in December.

His compensation award is the maximum the state can grant him, after providing just $75 on his initial release.

It is the highest amount Tennessee has ever granted.

"We thank the governor, and we thank the board," said David Raybin, a lawyer for Mr McKinney.

"Highest amount ever paid, but then again, no one was ever incarcerated for this long."
In October 1977, Mr McKinney was arrested in Memphis after a woman claimed he was one of two men who raped her in her apartment.

He was charged with rape and first degree burglary, and following his conviction in June 1978 he was sentenced to 115 years in prison.

He was 22 years old.

Thirty years later, in August 2008, a DNA test of the victim's bedding identified three people, none of whom were Mr McKinney.

His conviction was vacated (or set aside) and he was released in July 2009.

Mr McKinney says he was in prison for 31 years, 9 months, 18 days, and 12 hours.

On his initial release, Mr McKinney reportedly received just $75 after three decades behind bars.

"Because I had no ID it took me three months before I was able to cash it," McKinney told CNN.

After he was freed, Mr McKinney sought a full exoneration - in other words formally declared not guilty.

But in 2016, a parole board unanimously voted against him.

One board member defended their decision not to exonerate him, writing in a local newspaper, "The victim's descriptions to police matched McKinney's description, to a tee."

However, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam went against the parole board's verdict and unilaterally exonerated him in December 2017.

The exoneration meant Mr McKinney could apply for compensation. His lawyers, David Raybin and Jack Lowery, decided to push for the maximum allowed sum, $1m.

"A person is deprived of their life and freedom," Mr Raybin said at the time of the filing. "In my view Mr McKinney is entitled to far more than $1m based on what's happened to him."

Mr McKinney will not receive the amount as a lump sum.

He will received $353,000 upfront to pay his lawyers and his debts, but the rest of the amount will be spread out in monthly payments of $3,350 over a minimum of ten years.

The money will go to his wife or his estate if he dies in that time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43496741

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3707 on: March 22, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
Good Cop Crosses Thin Blue Line, Helps Family Bring Officer Who Killed Their Son to Justice

Versailles, MO — On Friday, special prosecutor William Camm Seay announced that Trooper Anthony Piercy is being charged in the death of Brandon Ellingson, who drowned in the Lake of the Ozarks with his hands cuffed behind his back.

On May 31, 2014. Trooper Piercy arrested Ellingson under suspicion of OWI and negligently placed the wrong life jacket over the handcuffed 20-year-old’s torso. Piercy then drove his patrol boat away from the scene at a high rate of speed. Ellingson was thrown from the craft when it struck a sizeable wake, the life jacket came off, and he drowned with his hands still in cuffs.

As The Free Thought Project previously reported, following the familiar full-court press to prevent officer accountability, the jury in a Coroner’s Inquest ruled Ellingson’s death to be accidental. It was subsequently revealed that Amanda Grellner, the prosecutor who declined to file charges against Piercy, had received a personal favor from the MHP three years earlier when the department declined to charge her then-18-year-old son with DUI.

After seeing that they were getting zero help from the perpetrator and his subsequent conspirators, the family of Ellingson launched a campaign for justice. During this campaign, they were joined by Missouri Highway Patrol Sergeant, Randy Henry.

Henry witnessed first hand, the incompetence, negligence, and cover-up and took to exposing it.

“We killed Brandon Ellingson,” Henry bluntly told the Lake Expo newspaper, following it with the question of “Why are we investigating ourselves?”

In a conversation with Piercy the day following Ellingson’s death, Henry expressed concerns about how the arresting officer had conducted himself. Piercy himself seemed remorseful, telling Henry,
“I feel like I drowned that kid…. I should have done more for him.”

In any other context, that comment would be treated as a confession to second-degree murder.

Henry then filed a report on the drowning and testified about the inadequate training Piercy and other water patrol officers received.

During an interview with patrol investigators following the drowning, Henry mentioned a state law dealing with the safety of people in custody and how the police are responsible for the lives of those they detain. An investigator interrupted Henry and insisted that the recorder be turned off, to deliberately prevent an official record of his disclosures.

The stiff arm of blue justice was moving in.

Instead of Piercy being held accountable for his negligence, it was Henry who was then run through the gamut of the thin blue line. He was cast out by his department, demoted to corporal, and forced to retire.

But as a true servant to the public, Henry remained resilient and refused to be bullied.

His and the family’s efforts led to the case being reopened and taken over by Seay.

“It was an investigation not concluded at that time,” Seay said. “She [Grellner] didn’t have it. We, my people, completed the investigation. There was additional investigation after Ms. Grellner stepped down.”

When Seay was asked about the concerns of the law enforcement agency investigating themselves, he said, “That’s what I’m for. I don’t have any concerns.”

On Friday, Seay announced the charge of involuntary manslaughter in the first degree against Trooper Anthony Piercy outside the Morgan County Justice Center. The charge is a Class C felony carrying a punishment of up to seven years in prison, up to a year in the county jail, a $5,000 fine or a combination.

The Highway Patrol said in a statement that it had placed Piercy, 44, on leave without pay. He is expected to turn himself in on Friday.

Craig Ellingson, father of Brandon, announced they were pleased with the news but noted how long it took.

“But it should have been a lot earlier,” he said. “I think it has been a cover-up from the beginning. They had everything. They knew what Piercy did to my son.”

For 18 months, this family, along with the now retired Henry, have fought for Piercy to be held accountable in the death of Brandon Ellingson.

“I never imagined something like that happening to Brandon. … I think he felt like he was safe with Piercy, because he’s a cop. But he wasn’t,” said Ellingson.

“There’s been a cover-up from the beginning,” Henry recently told The Star. “They wanted to protect the governor and the merger and protect Piercy from criminal charges because criminal charges would be a black eye for the patrol.”

While this news of Piercy’s charges is great for the family, Craig Ellingson insists that the fight is not yet over.

“I feel some relief, but I still want to get to the people who have covered this up,” he said.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/good-cop-refused-silenced-fellow-officer-charged-teens-death/

A young man is dead and this is the "harsh" sentence that the man responsible for his death gets.. And it seems like he can still work as a cop. Of course, the cop who questioned this incident and filed a report was demoted and forced to retire. One of the few good apples helps to actually hold one of the (far too) many bad apples accountable but instead it is he who gets punished. Another example of the thin blue line. What a travesty.

Cop Who Threw Handcuffed Man Into Lake and Watched Him Drown, Sentenced to Act in a Musical

Versailles, MO — Nearly two years after Trooper Anthony Piercy was charged in the death of Brandon Ellingson, who drowned in the Lake of the Ozarks with his hands cuffed behind his back, the case was closed. Predictably, the offending officer got off with less than a slap on the wrist—just 10 days in jail and 50 hours of community service.

For handcuffing a college student, negligently casting him into a lake, and watching as he drowned, Trooper Piercy avoided an involuntary manslaughter trial after he pleaded guilty to a simple boating violation in June of 2017.

Last year, Piercy was sentenced for his role in Ellingson’s death and he received just 10 days in jail and 50 hours of community service. The judge referred to this insultingly low sentence of only 10 days as “shock time.”

To Ellingson family and those who’ve been following this case, it was a kick in the teeth.

“Ten days is like a vacation,” Craig Ellingson said. “It’s a joke. … He knows he’s guilty and he’s damn lucky to get what he got.”

That kick in the teeth has become far worse now, however, as the family has just found out that this killer cop’s “community service” was spent working in a community theater—of which he was a part of before he killed their son.

As the Star reported at the time, Special Prosecutor William Camm Seay requested Piercy receive 30 days in jail and have his law enforcement certification revoked for life. But that did not happen.

“I wished we would have gotten what we asked for,” Seay told The Star after the hearing, and now he’s speaking out again.

According to the Star, records show that Piercy helped create the set of the musical “Moses and the Burning Within” for the Royal Theatre in Versailles, Mo. He did some acting. And the trooper who had dabbled in the town’s community theater before Ellingson’s death also helped tear down the set after the musical’s run.

“I thought it was a joke,” said Craig Ellingson, whose 20-year-old son died nearly four years ago in Piercy’s custody at the Lake of the Ozarks. “He had been in plays before, that was his hobby. That would be like me working at my company for community service. … Basically, it was a picnic for him.”

“What good is that?” Seay said. “I think it’s totally inappropriate. He shouldn’t be given credit for something that he’s a part of anyway. I don’t think that’s what is intended.”

What’s more, after the trial, the patrol noted that Piercy is still a cop and is merely on unpaid leave. What happens now with Piercy’s employment “is a personnel issue,” said Lt. Paul Reinsch, the Star reported.

No one involved in allowing Piercy to achieve his community service for the killing of an innocent young man by acting in a musical has responded to the incident. Calls to the theater and calls to Piercy went unanswered.

On May 31, 2014. Trooper Piercy arrested Ellingson under suspicion of OWI and negligently placed the wrong life jacket over the handcuffed 20-year-old’s torso. Piercy then drove his patrol boat away from the scene at a high rate of speed. Ellingson was thrown from the craft when it struck a sizeable wake, the life jacket came off, and he drowned with his hands still in cuffs while Piercy callously watched on.

During the investigation, it was determined that Piercy did little to nothing as he watched Ellingson drown.

As the Beast reported:

Piercy did not jump in to save him.

When a bachelorette party passed on a nearby boat, the passengers threw Ellingson a life ring “but they didn’t know my son was handcuffed,” Craig said. “Piercy didn’t say he was handcuffed.”

The women told investigators that they screamed at Piercy to extend a pole to Ellingson, which he did “but he knew he was handcuffed,” Craig said.

Piercy did not call a supervisor for help until an hour after Ellingson drowned. Footage from his boat shows Piercy having a chillingly casual conversation with his colleague, referring to Ellingson in profane terms.

“I’m banged up a little bit, but I’m alright. I don’t know if I’m sore from treading water with the bastard,” Piercy told a supervisor of the dead 20-year-old.

As The Free Thought Project previously reported, following the familiar full-court press to prevent officer accountability, the jury in a Coroner’s Inquest ruled Ellingson’s death to be accidental. It was subsequently revealed that Amanda Grellner, the prosecutor who declined to file charges against Piercy, had received a personal favor from the MHP three years earlier when the department declined to charge her then-18-year-old son with DUI.

In September of 2016, a circuit court judge found that the state had “knowingly and purposefully” covered up the crimes of Piercy, violating the state’s Sunshine Law in the act.

After seeing that they were getting zero help from the perpetrator and his subsequent conspirators, the family of Ellingson launched a campaign for justice. During this campaign, they were joined by Missouri Highway Patrol Sergeant, Randy Henry.

Henry witnessed first hand, the incompetence, negligence, and cover-up and took to exposing it.

“We killed Brandon Ellingson,” Henry bluntly told the Lake Expo newspaper, following it with the question of “Why are we investigating ourselves?”

In a conversation with Piercy the day following Ellingson’s death, Henry expressed concerns about how the arresting officer had conducted himself. Piercy himself seemed remorseful, telling Henry,

“I feel like I drowned that kid…. I should have done more for him.”
In any other context, that comment would be treated as a confession to second-degree murder.

Henry then filed a report on the drowning and testified about the inadequate training Piercy and other water patrol officers received.

During an interview with patrol investigators following the drowning, Henry mentioned a state law dealing with the safety of people in custody and how the police are responsible for the lives of those they detain. An investigator interrupted Henry and insisted that the recorder be turned off, to deliberately prevent an official record of his disclosures.

The stiff arm of blue justice moved in and now we are seeing the results.

Instead of Piercy being held accountable for his negligence, it was Henry who was then run through the gamut of the thin blue line. He was cast out by his department, demoted to corporal, and forced to retire.

Now, the man responsible for the death of a star college student got off by acting in a play and can remain a cop!

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-community-service-killing-brandon/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3708 on: March 22, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
This is outrageous. Of course it was shoved in a 2000+ page "must pass" omnibus bill and unfortunately it was approved by the House on a 256-167 vote. The Senate has to vote by Friday.

The Cloud Act Is a Dangerous Piece of Legislation

The bill starts by giving the executive branch dramatically more power than it has today. It would allow Attorney General Sessions to enter into agreements with foreign governments that bypass current law, without any approval from Congress. Under these agreements, foreign governments would be able to get emails and other electronic information without any additional scrutiny by a U.S. judge or official. And, while the attorney general would need to consider a country’s human rights record, he is not prohibited from entering into an agreement with a country that has committed human rights abuses.

That level of discretion alone is concerning. Even more, however, the bill would for the first time allow these foreign governments to wiretap in the U.S. — even in cases where they do not meet Wiretap Act standards. Paradoxically, that would give foreign governments the power to engage in surveillance — which could sweep in the information of Americans communicating with foreigners — that the U.S. itself would not be able to engage in. The bill also provides broad discretion to funnel this information back to the U.S., circumventing the Fourth Amendment. This information could potentially be used by the U.S. to engage in a variety of law enforcement actions.

On top of this, the bill does not require that the Department of Justice or any U.S. government entity review individual requests for information made by foreign governments to ensure that human rights are not being violated.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/internet-privacy/cloud-act-dangerous-piece-legislation

Statement by Rand Paul:

“Congress should reject the CLOUD Act because it fails to protect human rights or Americans’ privacy...gives up their constitutional role, and gives far too much power to the attorney general, the secretary of state, the president and foreign governments.”

But guess what? Congress can’t vote to reject the CLOUD Act, because it just got stuck onto the Omnibus, with no prior legislative action or review.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3709 on: March 22, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »
Not just the judge but the bailiff as well.

Yes, exactly.  The one person who succeeded in outdoing the judge.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3710 on: March 22, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »
This is outrageous. Of course it was shoved in a 2000+ page "must pass" omnibus bill and unfortunately it was approved by the House on a 256-167 vote. The Senate has to vote by Friday.

The Cloud Act Is a Dangerous Piece of Legislation

The bill starts by giving the executive branch dramatically more power than it has today. It would allow Attorney General Sessions to enter into agreements with foreign governments that bypass current law, without any approval from Congress. Under these agreements, foreign governments would be able to get emails and other electronic information without any additional scrutiny by a U.S. judge or official. And, while the attorney general would need to consider a country’s human rights record, he is not prohibited from entering into an agreement with a country that has committed human rights abuses.

That level of discretion alone is concerning. Even more, however, the bill would for the first time allow these foreign governments to wiretap in the U.S. — even in cases where they do not meet Wiretap Act standards. Paradoxically, that would give foreign governments the power to engage in surveillance — which could sweep in the information of Americans communicating with foreigners — that the U.S. itself would not be able to engage in. The bill also provides broad discretion to funnel this information back to the U.S., circumventing the Fourth Amendment. This information could potentially be used by the U.S. to engage in a variety of law enforcement actions.

On top of this, the bill does not require that the Department of Justice or any U.S. government entity review individual requests for information made by foreign governments to ensure that human rights are not being violated.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/internet-privacy/cloud-act-dangerous-piece-legislation

Statement by Rand Paul:

The noose tightens.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3711 on: March 22, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »
Something is Very Very wrong with The DA's
and Crime & punishment/ sentences being given out
to cops Time and again.

Its sad reading this continual on going thread
Yes some of it my be biased reporting against cops
Then there is the endless pitiful excuses made for them
if this was a thread about Lowlife scumbags & there was
never ending pitiful excuses being trotted out for them like
the ones for cops we'd all be falling around laughing
& the scumbags would be banged up.

DA & others supposedly 'policing the police' might help if
they treated all equally - This is Not Happening.

Is it any wonder more & more people are fearful & anti police.

Time to restore some Faith & justice.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3712 on: March 22, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
Something is Very Very wrong with The DA's
and Crime & punishment/ sentences being given out
to cops Time and again.

Its sad reading this continual on going thread
Yes some of it my be biased reporting against cops
Then there is the endless pitiful excuses made for them
if this was a thread about Lowlife scumbags & there was
never ending pitiful excuses being trotted out for them like
the ones for cops we'd all be falling around laughing
& the scumbags would be banged up.

DA & others supposedly 'policing the police' might help if
they treated all equally - This is Not Happening.

Is it any wonder more & more people are fearful & anti police.

Time to restore some Faith & justice.

Yes, and it will only get worse as the middle class disappears.  Pure brutalization is in store for this world.  And it is rapidly becoming, simply, "this world" as seen in Skeletor's most recent post.  I really can't see how anyone finds this acceptable. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3713 on: March 22, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »

"Join me as I help engineer mass migration, for corporate profit and cruel fun."

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3714 on: March 23, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
Unfortunately the CLOUD Act has been passed through the treasonous method of shoving it in a 2000+ page omnibus bill. It seems, however, that few care about this monstrous piece of legislation and its implications. Enjoy foreign police wiretapping on your communications with little or no control.

Responsibility Deflected, the CLOUD Act Passes

As we wrote before, the CLOUD Act is a far-reaching, privacy-upending piece of legislation that will:

• Enable foreign police to collect and wiretap people's communications from U.S. companies, without obtaining a U.S. warrant.
  • Allow foreign nations to demand personal data stored in the United States, without prior review by a judge.
  • Allow the U.S. president to enter "executive agreements" that empower police in foreign nations that have weaker privacy laws than the United States to seize data in the United States while ignoring U.S. privacy laws.
  • Allow foreign police to collect someone's data without notifying them about it.
  • Empower U.S. police to grab any data, regardless if it's a U.S. person's or not, no matter where it is stored.

And, as we wrote before, this is how the CLOUD Act could work in practice:

London investigators want the private Slack messages of a Londoner they suspect of bank fraud. The London police could go directly to Slack, a U.S. company, to request and collect those messages. The London police would not necessarily need prior judicial review for this request. The London police would not be required to notify U.S. law enforcement about this request. The London police would not need a probable cause warrant for this collection.

Predictably, in this request, the London police might also collect Slack messages written by U.S. persons communicating with the Londoner suspected of bank fraud. Those messages could be read, stored, and potentially shared, all without the U.S. person knowing about it. Those messages, if shared with U.S. law enforcement, could be used to criminally charge the U.S. person in a U.S. court, even though a warrant was never issued.

This bill has large privacy implications both in the U.S. and abroad. It was never given the attention it deserved in Congress.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/responsibility-deflected-cloud-act-passes

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3715 on: March 23, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »
The bad guys' prints are all over this.  This is a major, major hit from globalism.  It's a way to take information, to use the information, to advance with the information, that completely disregards the entire meaning of America.  It laughs in the face of America, and it spits in the eye of freedom.  And those who'd dismiss the idea of losing the 2nd Amendment, meaning they haven't been paying attention to what's already happened to the 4th, are now officially full of shit from this moment forward.  Not that it's any consolation or even revelation.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3716 on: March 23, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
One thing I've noticed in articles from nearly every source, written about something like CLOUD or the many insults and assaults before it, is that the idea in question is always put in the least offensive way possible (no small feat in most cases) and, really, it forces me to recognize the power of The Gateway more than ever.  The chokepoint, sort of, between reality and the awareness of it, as seen by the masses of society.  I now believe that chokepoint is much more tightly controlled than any of us could've ever imagined.  To the point it seems there may be almost no honest information being presented for mass consumption, and that the most important things are the least likely ones we'll ever know the truth about.

What Skeletor posted is from Electronic Frontier.  An outfit that by all means should be on our side and claims to be on our side, and yet it appears they'd gladly leave a person thinking only "oh wow, so a bank fraudster may get busted...  big deal!" when that's hardly what it's about.  I understand trying to use a hypothetical in a news story might get tricky, but that's exactly what they did (used a hypothetical), so....

Doesn't add up.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3717 on: March 23, 2018, 03:50:02 PM »
No charges in case of news photographer shot by deputy

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) - Investigators say no charges will be filed against an Ohio sheriff's deputy who shot a news photographer setting up to photograph a traffic stop.

Clark County Deputy Jacob Shaw said he mistook photographer Andrew Grimm's camera for a gun when he shot him twice, once in the side and once in the shoulder, last year in New Carlisle, about 60 miles (97 kilometers) west of Columbus.

http://www.wtol.com/story/37797566/no-charges-in-case-of-news-photographer-shot-by-deputy

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3718 on: March 23, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »
No charges in case of news photographer shot by deputy

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) - Investigators say no charges will be filed against an Ohio sheriff's deputy who shot a news photographer setting up to photograph a traffic stop.

Clark County Deputy Jacob Shaw said he mistook photographer Andrew Grimm's camera for a gun when he shot him twice, once in the side and once in the shoulder, last year in New Carlisle, about 60 miles (97 kilometers) west of Columbus.

http://www.wtol.com/story/37797566/no-charges-in-case-of-news-photographer-shot-by-deputy

would love to hear the story on that one

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3719 on: March 24, 2018, 10:48:41 PM »
Innocent Mom Jailed for 5 Months As Cops Mistake Vitamins for Opioids

Tampa, FL — Rebecca Shaw, a mother of four who has never been in trouble with the law before, ended up spending five months in jail because a field drug test falsely identified her vitamins as opiates.

One night, Rebecca’s car ran out of gas and she was stranded on the side of the road. When an officer pulled up behind her she was hoping that she would get some help. However, instead, he asked to search her car.

Not thinking that she was doing anything wrong, Rebecca allowed him to search her car, and when he did, he found vitamins and accused her of having oxycodone.

“He said, ‘They don’t look like vitamins. They look like oxycodone,’” Rebecca told Fox13.

The officer immediately ran a field drug test on the pills that he found and got a positive reading for opiates.

Rebecca became one of many women and men to suffer horrific fates at the hands of negligent cops and their continued use of faulty field drug test kits.

In fact, tens of thousands have been convicted and served time — even earning the black mark of a felony — for crimes they likely didn’t commit, according to a report, because the cases against them relied on horribly unreliable field drug test kits.

So prone to errors are the tests, courts won’t allow their submission as evidence. However, their continued use by law enforcement — coupled with a 90 percent rate at which drug cases are resolved through equally dubious plea deals — needlessly ruins thousands of lives.

Rebecca Shaw is one of these people.

“My heart just sank. I said, ‘That’s wrong!’ It felt like my whole life was over. It was terrible,” she said.

Rebecca was arrested and charged with trafficking oxycodone, and since she was unable to pay the $5,000 bond she was forced to sit in jail for months.

“My kids were devastated. I was away for five months. I cried constantly. It was scary being in there and having a public defender that didn’t believe me,” Rebecca said.

After Rebecca’s husband was able to raise the funds to bail her out, she had to wait another seven months for the official test results to come back from the lab, which ultimately determined that the pills were vitamins and not oxycodone.

“They’re putting innocent people in jail and ruining people’s lives,” Rebecca said, adding that she was considering a lawsuit.

Had Rebecca been falsely accused of trafficking these vitamins mistaken as opioids today, she could very well be executed for it.

Sadly, Rebecca’s story is extremely common and happens every day throughout the US. The standard $2 field drug test, manufactured by The Safariland Group, have been proven to be unreliable. And according to the manufacturer, should not be used as a stand-alone test for convictions related to drug possession.

Studies have shown how everyday foods, spices, and medicine tested positive in field drug tests. In one experiment, scientists even discovered that air could set off false positive for these tests.

According to Forensic Resources:

“The director of a lab recognized by the International Association of Chiefs of Police for forensic science excellence has called field drug testing kits “totally useless” due to the possibility of false positives. In laboratory experiments, at least two brands of field testing kits have been shown to produce false positives in tests of Mucinex, chocolate, aspirin, chocolate, and oregano.”

Dr. Frederic Whitehurst, a Ph.D. chemist and former FBI lab supervisor, has also voiced objections, saying that he has “no confidence at all in those test kits.”

According to the national litigation and public policy organization, the Innocence Project, at any given time there are an estimated 40,000 to 100,000 innocent people currently locked in a cage in U.S. prisons.

Over the years, The Free Thought Project has reported on countless stories of odd things creating false positives in field drug tests. We have seen people put behind bars for possession of things like drywall, glazed donuts, crackers, kitty litter and baking soda.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/innocent-mom-jailed-for-5-months-as-cops-mistake-vitamins-for-opioids/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3720 on: March 26, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
Of course he later tried to shrug it off as a "joke", but nevertheless people like him are candidates to lead "law enforcement". He also happens to be a "law enforcement training director" for a Community College.

NC Sheriff Candidate: Kill Gun Owners Who Won’t Give Up Their Guns

On March 7th, Democrat Sheriff candidate R. Daryl Fisher appeared in front of a Moms Demand Action meeting at the West Asheville, North Carolina public libary.  At the meeting, he professed support of “common sense” gun control laws. And now we find out he went much further.

By common sense legislation, he means that he wants to see bans on full-capacity magazines for both rifles and handguns, bans on any weapon used by the military, and upping the purchase age for all guns to 21. And he endorsed a whole slew of new restrictions and regulations on concealed carry.

And what would he do if gun owners don’t comply with the laws he’d like to see enacted? He advocated killing anyone who refuses to surrender their guns. “You’ve heard people say you have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands.” He then shrugged his shoulders, shook his head back and forth, and then continued:  “Okay…”

The approving Moms Demand Action crowd erupted in laughter and applause. Of course. Meanwhile, would-be Sheriff Fisher just grinned.

Here it is on video, which has gone viral:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

(around 2:43 mark)

As more and more Americans see the video of this would-be tyrant’s remarks, the outrage has only grown. First he released one statement in response, and then a second criticizing those spreading “false information and propaganda”.

In the second statement, released on Facebook, he addressed his “cold, dead hands” remarks, claiming the statement was a “joke”.

"I admit the joke was a mistake and I should not have joked."

At the same time, he failed to apologize or even acknowledge the horrific nature of his remarks.

Judging by the hundreds of caustic comments on his campaign’s Facebook page, his murderous fantasies don’t sit well with most Americans.

The fact that Robert Fisher’s day job is as the Asheville-Buncombe Technical College’s law enforcement training director should cause even greater concern. Is he teaching young police recruits that it’s okay to shoot gun owners who bitterly cling to their Constitutional rights?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/03/john-boch/nc-sheriff-candidate-kill-gun-owners-who-wont-give-up-their-guns/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3721 on: March 26, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »
Of course he later tried to shrug it off as a "joke", but nevertheless people like him are candidates to lead "law enforcement". He also happens to be a "law enforcement training director" for a Community College.

NC Sheriff Candidate: Kill Gun Owners Who Won’t Give Up Their Guns

On March 7th, Democrat Sheriff candidate R. Daryl Fisher appeared in front of a Moms Demand Action meeting at the West Asheville, North Carolina public libary.  At the meeting, he professed support of “common sense” gun control laws. And now we find out he went much further.

By common sense legislation, he means that he wants to see bans on full-capacity magazines for both rifles and handguns, bans on any weapon used by the military, and upping the purchase age for all guns to 21. And he endorsed a whole slew of new restrictions and regulations on concealed carry.

And what would he do if gun owners don’t comply with the laws he’d like to see enacted? He advocated killing anyone who refuses to surrender their guns. “You’ve heard people say you have to pry my gun from my cold dead hands.” He then shrugged his shoulders, shook his head back and forth, and then continued:  “Okay…”

The approving Moms Demand Action crowd erupted in laughter and applause. Of course. Meanwhile, would-be Sheriff Fisher just grinned.

Here it is on video, which has gone viral:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

(around 2:43 mark)

As more and more Americans see the video of this would-be tyrant’s remarks, the outrage has only grown. First he released one statement in response, and then a second criticizing those spreading “false information and propaganda”.

In the second statement, released on Facebook, he addressed his “cold, dead hands” remarks, claiming the statement was a “joke”.

"I admit the joke was a mistake and I should not have joked."

At the same time, he failed to apologize or even acknowledge the horrific nature of his remarks.

Judging by the hundreds of caustic comments on his campaign’s Facebook page, his murderous fantasies don’t sit well with most Americans.

The fact that Robert Fisher’s day job is as the Asheville-Buncombe Technical College’s law enforcement training director should cause even greater concern. Is he teaching young police recruits that it’s okay to shoot gun owners who bitterly cling to their Constitutional rights?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/03/john-boch/nc-sheriff-candidate-kill-gun-owners-who-wont-give-up-their-guns/

Of course- like most statist tyrants. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3722 on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
Pulse club gunman's dad was an FBI informant, lawyers for shooter's widow say
Lawyers for the Pulse nightclub shooter's widow said Monday that the government has revealed that his father had been an FBI informant for 11 years before the attack.
Prosecutors told them in an email that the government found evidence on the day of the attack that Omar Mateen's father, Seddique Mateen, had been sending money to Afghanistan and Turkey, possibly to fund violent insurrection against the government of Pakistan.
Salman, now 31 and the mother of a small child, is being tried in federal court in Orlando. It's unclear when the judge will rule on the motion to dismiss.
Published 1 Hour Ago
The Associated Press
In this June 15, 2016 file photo, Seddique Mir Mateen, father of Omar Mateen, who died in a gun battle with a SWAT team after he opened fire at the gay nightclub Pulse early Sunday, talks to reporters, across the street of a residence owned by the family, in Fort Pierce, Fla.
Alan Diaz | AP
In this June 15, 2016 file photo, Seddique Mir Mateen, father of Omar Mateen, who died in a gun battle with a SWAT team after he opened fire at the gay nightclub Pulse early Sunday, talks to reporters, across the street of a residence owned by the family, in Fort Pierce, Fla.
Lawyers for the Pulse nightclub shooter's widow said Monday that the government has revealed that his father had been an FBI informant for 11 years before the attack.

They said prosecutors also told them in an email Saturday that the government found evidence on the day of the attack that Omar Mateen's father, Seddique Mateen, had been sending money to Afghanistan and Turkey, possibly to fund violent insurrection against the government of Pakistan.

Noor Salman's lawyers say this new information — shared only after prosecutors rested their case — should result in a mistrial or an outright dismissal of the charges against her. Salman is accused of helping her husband plan the June 2016 attack at the gay nightclub in Orlando, where he killed 49 people.

Her lawyers say the government's belated disclosure prevented them from exploring the possibilities that Seddique Mateen was more directly involved, and that Salman may have been framed to hide the government's mistakes.

What is clear is that the federal government's failure to disclose these details have prevented Salman from getting a fair trial, her attorneys said.

The government's "violations in this case have placed Ms. Salman, the jury, and this Court in a dark wood where the search for truth has been thwarted," they wrote, paraphrasing and citing 15th Century Italian poet Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy.

Her lawyers' federal court motion filed Monday says U.S. Attorney Sara Sweeney sent them an email Saturday revealing some details of the FBI's involvement with and knowledge of Seddique Mateen's activities leading up to the Pulse attack.

"I have just received authorization to disclose the following information about Seddique Mateen," her email said. "Seddique Mateen was a FBI confidential human source at various points in time between January 2005 and June 2016."

This email was sent after jurors heard Shahla Mateen deny during cross-examination that her husband had any relationship with the FBI.

The email also revealed other details the prosecution didn't tell jurors before resting its case against Salman, including the discovery in the hours after the shooting that "receipts for money transfers to Turkey and Afghanistan" made in the days and weeks before the shooting were found at Seddique Mateen's home, and that in 2012, an anonymous tipster had accused Seddique Mateen of "seeking to raise $50,000 - $100,000 via a donation drive to contribute towards an attack against the government of Pakistan."

Defense attorneys say the failure to share this information in advance of her trial violates Salman's Fifth Amendment right to due process and Sixth Amendment right to a fair trial, because her defense would have investigated "whether Mateen's father was involved in or had foreknowledge of the Pulse attack," they wrote.

Prosecutors told the jury that Salman knew Omar Mateen was buying rounds of ammunition for his AR-15, helped him spend thousands of dollars before the attack and knew about his plan when he left their home in the hours before the shooting. They also say she lied, tried to mislead FBI agents and had knowledge of her husband's sick fascination with violent jihadist videos and terrorism.

But defense attorneys describe Salman as a simple woman with a low IQ, who was abused emotionally, mentally and physically by her husband. This latest evidence, they say, points instead to Mateen's father as a potential accomplice.

"There are two viable theories of defense that could have been developed . First, Omar Mateen conspired with his father, rather than Noor Salman, to commit the acts," the defense wrote.

"Alternatively, the FBI's purported interviews with Ms. Salman were directed to evading the negligence they exercised with their own informant," the motion says, and "to finding an additional culprit rather than their own informant."

Former federal prosecutor David S. Weinstein agreed that if the defense had this information about Mateen's father before trial, they could have planted doubt in the minds of jurors that Salman was ever involved.

At this point, he said, it's likely the judge will have the defense continue presenting its case to the jury while he evaluates the motion for a mistrial.

"The judge has to digest everything that's in there and give the government chance to respond. He doesn't want to lose days of trial," said Weinstein.

Ahmed Bedier, president of the civil rights advocacy group United Voices, has been attending the trial in support of Salman. He said Salman's family had voiced suspicions previously that Omar Mateen's father had a possible relationship with the FBI, but they lacked evidence to support this. Bedier also noted that when Omar Mateen was interviewed by the FBI in 2013 and not charged with false statements or any other crime, it enabled him to legally secure the firearms he used in the Pulse attack.

"We always felt that there were huge problems with this case and suspicious motivations on behalf of the government to prosecute Noor on such little evidence. This new discovery is very revealing and raises a lot of questions about the FBI and the Department of Justice's actions in investigating the mass shooting," Bedier said.

"They chose to protect their own informant and their own connection to Omar Mateen," Bedier said. "The fact that Omar Mateen's father was an informant for 11 years, and the FBI interviewed Omar Mateen himself in 2013, there's suspicion now that it's because of this father that the government closed that case."

Salman, now 31 and the mother of a small child, is being tried in federal court in Orlando. It's unclear when the judge will rule on the motion to dismiss.

As for Seddique Mateen, the government had listed him as a potential witness in February, but did not make him testify before resting its case. The wording of the Saturday email, cited by the defense in its motion, suggests the government still doesn't want him to talk too much in front of the jury: "If you should call S. Mateen to the stand, the government will not seek to elicit any of this information from him," Sweeney wrote.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3723 on: March 27, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »
Unhinged..

Former Supreme Court Justice: Repeal the Second Amendment!

“Rarely in my lifetime have I seen the type of civic engagement schoolchildren and their supporters demonstrated in Washington and other major cities throughout the country this past Saturday,” retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens writes in a nytimes.com editorial. “These demonstrations demand our respect. They reveal the broad public support for legislation to minimize the risk of mass killings of schoolchildren and others in our society.” And so . . .

That support is a clear sign to lawmakers to enact legislation prohibiting civilian ownership of semiautomatic weapons, increasing the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21 years old, and establishing more comprehensive background checks on all purchasers of firearms. But the demonstrators should seek more effective and more lasting reform. They should demand a repeal of the Second Amendment.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/03/robert-farago/supreme-court-judge-repeal-the-second-amendment/

Democrats Introduce Ammunition Background Check Bill in House, Senate

They’re either feeling their oats after the media gun control love fest this past weekend, or they just know that their increasingly left-leaning voter bases expect this kind of futile legislative gesture, no matter the chances of passage.

“You do not have the right to bear bullets,” said Congresswoman and former Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz at a press conference Monday announcing the introduction of a bill that would require instant background checks to purchase ammunition.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/03/daniel-zimmerman/democrats-introduce-ammunition-background-check-bill-in-house-senate/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3724 on: March 27, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »
Of course- like most statist tyrants. 

I wonder just by the comments and the fact this video went viral.. how many people just read the misleading headlines and went on a rant or how many actually saw the video where he went on to say immediately after "When you pass away, we'll come get it" THEN went on to say if a law was passed today banning guns, it would be UNCONSTITUTIONAL to take guns that are already legally purchased. I do hope you put more effort in reviewing your cases than you did on this one...