Author Topic: Explain something about soccer  (Read 26773 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Explain something about soccer
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »
LOL this dude is freaking awesome this is the 5'6" in college

watch the first couple runs he is just amazing

He even looks tiny lol

Reminds me of maradona - agile and nimble and can turn on a sixpence.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
He even looks tiny lol

Reminds me of maradona - agile and nimble and can turn on a sixpence.
LOL he does man, alot of times when he runs the ball you will lose him for a sec or two as he runs through the line he gets lost behind all the big linemen... ;D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
I didn't mean to say ONLY big dudes... sorry.. Im just sayin its a majority and it's better to be big..you say 6'1 210lbs but that is actually big for a soccer player

To name a norwegian example Ursus who is over 200lbs

LOL John Carew is 6'7

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
I didn't mean to say ONLY big dudes... sorry.. Im just sayin its a majority and it's better to be big..you say 6'1 210lbs but that is actually big for a soccer player

To name a norwegian example Ursus who is over 200lbs

it just depends on the position, in soccer it looks like each player generally can do the same as each other physically speaking not skill wise...but in american football each position has its own set of physical requirements some require you to be a 300lb man some require you to be able to run 40yds in 4 secs and be able to stop on a dime.

the average wide receiver(the guys who catch the balls) is supposedly from 5'11" to 6'4" and between 185 and 225 or so...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
That Darren dude was sick, cool to see a small dude cut it in a big mans sport.. of course the only way its possible is with extreme speed... not like in soccer where a small dude like Scholes can be one this generations best midfielders and be small and slow.. (or am I wrong and prejudiced?)
LOL yea I love watching that guy play, there a lot of little guys that do well in the nfl

cortland finnigan is a pro bowler(allstar)
wes welker who was in a video posted by 2nd is a small dude
alot of slot receivers(the guys who line up in between the linemen and the receiver that is on the side lines) are smaller dudes.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
Hmm ok cool to learn new stuff  ;), maybe that is one of the reasons US prefers your 4 sports because US culture has alot of "bigger is better"?

For example in soccer last year, the worlds top 5 players included Messi @ 5'6-7", Xavi @ 5'7" and Iniesta @ 5'7".. Would that be possible in american football?
hmmm iono about that alot of ppl do have that mentality though, I think it would probably have more to do with the US being a very physically violent and competitive society.  We dont generally shun physical violence in fact we often welcome it in our sports.

I think we like american football so much b/c it is so physical and brutal, nothing like seeing a dude get the shit knocked out of him with a clean legal hit  ;D at least for me...

I dont think that its b/c we have a bigger is better mentality in terms of physical characteristics even though we do but b/c we have that in terms of sports and american football has bigger and better displays of athletic prowess than most other sports and that in turn feeds the cycle leading to bigger and better football players and so on and so forth...

they say that the average linemen these days is like 50lbs heavier than like 20 yrs ago or so

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
Hmm ok cool to learn new stuff  ;), maybe that is one of the reasons US prefers your 4 sports because US culture has alot of "bigger is better"?

For example in soccer last year, the worlds top 5 players included Messi @ 5'6-7", Xavi @ 5'7" and Iniesta @ 5'7".. Would that be possible in american football?

No. Sproles is an anomaly. You don't stand much chance of making it in the NFL if you're under 6' these days.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »
No. Sproles is an anomaly. You don't stand much chance of making it in the NFL if you're under 6' these days.
agree especially that sproles is an anomaly but there are a number of players out there that are sub 6'

but youre right you dont stand much of a chance if youre not

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »
agree especially that sproles is an anomaly but there are a number of players out there that are sub 6'

but youre right you dont stand much of a chance if youre not

Yeah, you're right. It's definitely doable but much easier in terms of scouting if you're over 6'.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
Today, a player on Ivory Coast bumped into the best player on Brazil (Kaka), immediately falls to the ground in faux agony clutching his face.  Kaka gets a yellow card (his 2nd of the game), is sent off, and now can't play in the next game.  This is ridiculous.  The call should be reviewed and the suspention rescinded, and the Ivory Coast player should be punished for being a giant diving fag.  But this doesn't happen in soccer and it is accepted as being "part of the game" for some reason.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2010, 10:27:32 PM »
Lol this thread is such a joke. The idea is americans would kick ass at itt if they cared. Yet they fail to realize what makes them good at the big three is simply demographics. In either basketball football or baseball, only 1 in 1000 people have got the genetics to even play it. Baseketball is about height, football and baseball about power speed and size.  In soccer demographics dont matter 1-in 10 people  have got the genetics to be in the world cup. Being good a soccer comes down to culture, team work, skill etc. American falsely believe that there is some cultural greatness they have that no other nation will ever achieve, when the only thing you really have is a large population. Americans are the zapp brannigan of sports you think just by sending waves upon waves of kids into the sport you will get a winner, when in fact that only works in industrial sports where height weight or brute roid strength matter.

But again this all comes down to culture. Americans love games of trivial number like a pitchers speed, or a linebackers weight. Because culturally speaking they dont really play the sports they watch, instead rely on minorities to do so.

In soccer most of the people watching the sport play the sport. I can play a game with the best soccer player in the world and learn something, while if I played against the best of the big three id learn im just to short or small.

As far the lack of contact in soccer that has to do with the knees. In soccer everything is dependant on the knee. The top players would simply get there knees destroyed by lesser players if they werent protected by the reff. If american culture is to childish to accept this, good look dominating the sport when you all of a sudden care. ......Dont get me wrong anything above the knee in my mind should be fair game but protect the knees. By the way the knees are the reason Soccer players are geared to the hilt, roid would mean just more tendon damage, and more weight to carry.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
Hey X, are you supporting Denmark? They are the only scando team in the tourny, and they is doing fine, and may even make it to da next round :)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »
I laugh at the pathetic argument that soccer isnt about atheticsm,  and superior US athletes would not dominate.

If the top flight athletes that play football played soccer, they would change the way the game is played. They would just blow by, go around, or jump over the supposed "stars" of the game now, they would be no match for a team loaded with strong, lightning quick players that run 4.3 40's.

Just look at american Basketball. in the 40's and 50's it was a game of teamwork, passing and skill shooting the ball. Then the superior black athletes were allowed to play and they completely changed the landscape of the sport forever with their amazing athletic ability. its not even the same game anymore......its played at a much higher level of athleticism, the "Stars" of those teams in the 50's couldn't play college ball now.

Same thing would happen in Soccer.

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2010, 03:15:04 AM »
I laugh at the pathetic argument that soccer isnt about atheticsm,  and superior US athletes would not dominate.

If the top flight athletes that play football played soccer, they would change the way the game is played. They would just blow by, go around, or jump over the supposed "stars" of the game now, they would be no match for a team loaded with strong, lightning quick players that run 4.3 40's.

Just look at american Basketball. in the 40's and 50's it was a game of teamwork, passing and skill shooting the ball. Then the superior black athletes were allowed to play and they completely changed the landscape of the sport forever with their amazing athletic ability. its not even the same game anymore......its played at a much higher level of athleticism, the "Stars" of those teams in the 50's couldn't play college ball now.

You're a fool...you really think they'd just blow by do you? When will you learn Groink you havent fucking listened to a word anyone has said. its not all about how fast you are, or how strong you are, a central midfield player or a centre back does not have to be quick or necessarily strong to be world class. It's technique, reading the game, touch, delivery.

In short being quicker almost never matters if you're coming up against a team that knows how to defend and shut the space down, giving you no time on the ball. It's about timing your run.

Fine you need quick wingers....so please tell me who of your amazing athletes would blow by (just in the england side) aaron lennon, ashley cole, sean wright philipps or glenn johnson. Or perhaps they might outpace some of the french like malouda or henry, or Evra or Sagna, or pherhaps brazil with Maicon, Michel bastos, Fabiano...seriously you dont have a clue mate every single guy i name right there would keep up with your magical 4.30 40 yard dash boys and theres many like that in most teams. Not only that, to go round someone in football you have to be significantly quicker than them...so essentially to get round someone like ashley cole you'd need to be olympic speed, and even then with the ball at your feet you wouldnt be able to turn him quick enough.

Point in proof...didier agathe, ran the 100m in 10.2 seconds, quick as hell but never got round players.

another point, why was zidane so good? guy wasn't particularly quick or strong, he just had amazing feet, a great eye for a pass, and beautiful technique and delivery. The game ran around him by the tempo he set by his control and understanding of the game not because he 'blew by' players.  ::)

If you ever wish to watch football week in week out you wouldn't be coming up with the crap you're spouting, seriously its just annoying now rather than making any sort of valid point.

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2010, 03:44:54 AM »
Further to your point about the sport changing forver because of the introduction of black players....that already happened in football 30 years ago. Black players did and do make a huge difference to the quality of teams. By your logic african teams shold win almost by default...Brazil are a mixture of black, mixed race and white players, as are england and france...your point is basically irrelevant.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2010, 03:54:32 AM »
Further to your point about the sport changing forver because of the introduction of black players....that already happened in football 30 years ago. Black players did and do make a huge difference to the quality of teams. By your logic african teams shold win almost by default...Brazil are a mixture of black, mixed race and white players, as are england and france...your point is basically irrelevant.
Coaching?

Mnay of the West African and Caribbean sprinters go to American schools for training (and drugs)...

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2010, 04:15:06 AM »
Coaching?

Mnay of the West African and Caribbean sprinters go to American schools for training (and drugs)...

Coaching isnt the problem...look at all the academies sprining up in africa that funnel high quality players into europe and have been doing so since the late 80's early 90's. Not only that most african sides national teams have either a european or a south american coach.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2010, 04:16:52 AM »
You're a fool...you really think they'd just blow by do you? When will you learn Groink you havent fucking listened to a word anyone has said. its not all about how fast you are, or how strong you are, a central midfield player or a centre back does not have to be quick or necessarily strong to be world class. It's technique, reading the game, touch, delivery.

In short being quicker almost never matters if you're coming up against a team that knows how to defend and shut the space down, giving you no time on the ball. It's about timing your run.

Fine you need quick wingers....so please tell me who of your amazing athletes would blow by (just in the england side) aaron lennon, ashley cole, sean wright philipps or glenn johnson. Or perhaps they might outpace some of the french like malouda or henry, or Evra or Sagna, or pherhaps brazil with Maicon, Michel bastos, Fabiano...seriously you dont have a clue mate every single guy i name right there would keep up with your magical 4.30 40 yard dash boys and theres many like that in most teams. Not only that, to go round someone in football you have to be significantly quicker than them...so essentially to get round someone like ashley cole you'd need to be olympic speed, and even then with the ball at your feet you wouldnt be able to turn him quick enough.

Point in proof...didier agathe, ran the 100m in 10.2 seconds, quick as hell but never got round players.

another point, why was zidane so good? guy wasn't particularly quick or strong, he just had amazing feet, a great eye for a pass, and beautiful technique and delivery. The game ran around him by the tempo he set by his control and understanding of the game not because he 'blew by' players.  ::)

If you ever wish to watch football week in week out you wouldn't be coming up with the crap you're spouting, seriously its just annoying now rather than making any sort of valid point.

End of thread as far as debate is concerned as the above is all truth.

The American child-like logic "my dad is bigger than yours" falls on its face in football.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2010, 06:11:30 AM »
1-in 10 people  have got the genetics to be in the world cup.

Haha get the fuck out of here you idiot.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »
Haha get the fuck out of here you idiot.
That might be an exaggeration its closer to the truth though. You realize though soccer players are average to small. There are no 7 foot players, and no roid monster either. In fact I doubt there are any player no for any statistic that isn't related to skill.

Lol delusional you guys wouldn't "change the game" no more than brazil or germany(after decades of competing btw). This simple answer is play this second tier sport for a week if you can even run(you learn). Understanding your sports means knowing stats. Understanding soccer means actually playing it.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2010, 07:43:09 AM »
That might be an exaggeration its closer to the truth though. You realize though soccer players are average to small. There are no 7 foot players, and no roid monster either. In fact I doubt there are any player no for any statistic that isn't related to skill.

No, it is not anywhere close to the truth.  Professional soccer players like professional athletes in any major international or Olympic sport are the absolute athletic elite.

Let's do a little math here, although I suspect that isn't your strong point so bear with me.  Let's assume that 10% of the world's population has the "genetics" (whatever you are referring to there; evidently it is not God-given athletic ability) to play in the World Cup.  There are 6.7 billion people living on Earth right now so according to you 6.7 million of them have the ability to play in the World Cup if they want.  There are 23 players on each squad.  Let's assume there are ten times as many players that could have been on the squad but were not for whatever reason (so 230 total).  There are 32 teams in the World Cup so let's assume again there are ten times as many teams that could have made it but didn't.  That's a total of 320*230 = 73,600 potential World Cup players.  Note that both of these "ten times as many" estimates are huge exaggerations.

So by your logic there are over six million people in the world who could play in the World Cup but don't for whatever reason.  Right ::)  Well under 1% of the world's population has the genetics to play in the World Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, etc.

SUPREME BEING

• Getbig II
  • Bow down before thy!
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2010, 07:46:58 AM »
Lol this thread is such a joke. The idea is americans would kick ass at itt if they cared. Yet they fail to realize what makes them good at the big three is simply demographics. In either basketball football or baseball, only 1 in 1000 people have got the genetics to even play it. Baseketball is about height, football and baseball about power speed and size.  In soccer demographics dont matter 1-in 10 people  have got the genetics to be in the world cup. Being good a soccer comes down to culture, team work, skill etc. American falsely believe that there is some cultural greatness they have that no other nation will ever achieve, when the only thing you really have is a large population. Americans are the zapp brannigan of sports you think just by sending waves upon waves of kids into the sport you will get a winner, when in fact that only works in industrial sports where height weight or brute roid strength matter.

But again this all comes down to culture. Americans love games of trivial number like a pitchers speed, or a linebackers weight. Because culturally speaking they dont really play the sports they watch, instead rely on minorities to do so.

In soccer most of the people watching the sport play the sport. I can play a game with the best soccer player in the world and learn something, while if I played against the best of the big three id learn im just to short or small.

As far the lack of contact in soccer that has to do with the knees. In soccer everything is dependant on the knee. The top players would simply get there knees destroyed by lesser players if they werent protected by the reff. If american culture is to childish to accept this, good look dominating the sport when you all of a sudden care. ......Dont get me wrong anything above the knee in my mind should be fair game but protect the knees. By the way the knees are the reason Soccer players are geared to the hilt, roid would mean just more tendon damage, and more weight to carry.

Excellent post, i agree with everything written here. Soccer is the one true sport where anyone can compete using either athleticism, brains, skill. You can be tall or small, everyone has a chance in soccer which is why it is the greatest sport on earth. Americans are way too dumb to understand your post.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »
Haha, soccer has nothing to do with power, speed, and size!  You heard it here first folks!!

SUPREME BEING

• Getbig II
  • Bow down before thy!
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »

Wow Groink, i usually enjoy your entertaining posts but this ridiculous what you have written here. You obviously know nothing about soccer and applying typical American mentality towards strength and speed being the most important factors in a sport.

I am sorry stick to what you know, your post is completely off base, its actually laughable how your posts fits the exact ignorant American attitude towards sports. Just be a man and admit you know very little about soccer or played the sport at any significant level.

epic_alien

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »
soccer is a sport that changes the specifications to its ball all the time. what kind of sport does that?

its gay as fuck

flopping players, no size or speed, just average hairy 140lbs nerds running around chasing a ball that never seems to find itself in that huge 20 foot goal box.