Author Topic: Old school standing shoulder presses  (Read 20943 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Old school standing shoulder presses
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
Still do barbell, I just know what's coming up after 205. ;D
Come to think of it, I don't think I have that issue doing bbell seated..... I'll try those tomorrow instead and get back here.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
A shooting pain anywhere (traps, etc etc, etc,) will usually suggest a  nerve being inflamed or a blockage; the nerve  is not following it's normal path. A snapping feeling can be a little more serious. There may be  more of a noticible weakness on the left side of the pressing muscles for Chaos. Massage or even acupuncture may help if the problem advances.

Even turning the head from left to right (slowly, trying for more of a ROM each rep..12-15 reps or so) may releive the nerve stress right before pressing. DB's call upon a different set of mechanics, as when using DB's, rather than a BB, during a heavy set of benches. DB's seem to ofter overall less shoulder joint problems, in either case.

A more serious event might be a start of a slight muscle tear/rupture.  Try keeping the trap/shoulder area warm & covered while pressing. If a knot develops, the problem will need attention.

Yes, standing presses will offer a more natural position for overhead pressing for most guy's. It's the different set of mechanics and the lower body envolvement in any lift done overhead.Good Luck.

Side Bar: one of the better movements is cleaning a pair of heavy DB's (from the floor..much lower start than a pair of 45's on a bar)) and jerk pressing them overhead.  Any where from 6 to 12 reps. Never see that excellent mass building exercise much any more.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
A shooting pain anywhere (traps, etc etc, etc,) will usually suggest a  nerve being inflamed or a blockage; the nerve  is not following it's normal path. A snapping feeling can be a little more serious. There may be  more of a noticible weakness on the left side of the pressing muscles for Chaos. Massage or even acupuncture may help if the problem advances.

Even turning the head from left to right (slowly, trying for more of a ROM each rep..12-15 reps or so) may releive the nerve stress right before pressing. DB's call upon a different set of mechanics, as when using DB's, rather than a BB, during a heavy set of benches. DB's seem to ofter overall less shoulder joint problems, in either case.

A more serious event might be a start of a slight muscle tear/rupture.  Try keeping the trap/shoulder area warm & covered while pressing. If a knot develops, the problem will need attention.

Yes, standing presses will offer a more natural position for overhead pressing for most guy's. It's the different set of mechanics and the lower body envolvement in any lift done overhead.Good Luck.

Side Bar: one of the better movements is cleaning a pair of heavy DB's (from the floor..much lower start than a pair of 45's on a bar)) and jerk pressing them overhead.  Any where from 6 to 12 reps. Never see that excellent mass building exercise much any more.

i do clean/press with kettlebells... i go up to my 100s (i have 25lbs, 50lbs, 100lbs and 1x200lbs (for swings))

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:34 AM »
I've been lifting for 20 years. In all those years I've never done standing barbell presses. I've done thrusters and clean/jerk and snatch, etc. and obviously I've done several variations of seated shoulder presses.

2 weeks ago I decided to try the standing version after watching big Lou do them in pumping iron. Well. I'm in love. Not with Lou of course. With standing barbell shoulder presses.

I can manage 245 for 8-10 seated but standing I struggled with 135 in the first week. This week my last set was with 185 for 10 and it was awesome (brutal).

The movement is difficult. It requires a lot of total body strength to manage strict overhead presses. Best of all cheating for 1 or 2 more reps is pretty easy (thruster style).

Anybody do these?
ive been doing them last couple weeks,they are hard to do but they feel great when you do them.you feel the 'power'.. :)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »
ive been doing them last couple weeks,they are hard to do but they feel great when you do them.you feel the 'power'.. :)

I agree. The movement feels macho as hell.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
I agree. The movement feels macho as hell.
;-D

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
Did seated barbell and standing db presses today and didn't experience that "snap" in my trap ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
Did seated barbell and standing db presses today and didn't experience that "snap" in my trap ???

the power of WOOO

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
I've been lifting for 20 years.

:o :o :o

You should have told us you were so old.............

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
the guy who did a picture perfect 390 press was said to be the biggest offender to the leaning or arching press.

I don't know what the problem is, but if I don't arch/lean back slightly I'll fall frontwards? ???

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 05:46:04 AM »
:o :o :o

You should have told us you were so old.............

I don't know what the problem is, but if I don't arch/lean back slightly I'll fall frontwards? ???

bend your knees and stabilize your core?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »

just curious, how much weight do you use on the db press?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 06:57:11 AM »
just curious, how much weight do you use on the db press?
Yesterday did them after seated and went up to 90's standing. Average I guess, pressing is not my strong point.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Chaos: notice how the power of subtle suggestions works and by magic you trap problem went away. Working out can be just as much a mental game as  physical one. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

90's are a respectable weight. Getting to 120, if serious about DB pressing, is usually possible. Prefer one arm at a time for myself. Will brace the other free arm against something solid. If more guy's concentrated on overhead pressing, rather than the overrated (personal view)  bench press, there would be many more 300LB + BB front presses. And much more shoulder mass.

The press behind the neck is also a mass builder and can build up to near same weight as a front press. Though this exercise is not for everyone. Guy's may have shoulder leverage problems with this movement. So might take a bit of caution if new to this one. Having the grip too wide, lowering the bar too far behind the back and trying to rush the weight (adding weight before really ready for it) are some of the causes that could result in problems. Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
If not feeling stable, like your going to fall forward (or backward) just place one foot slightly ahead of the other, or even behind, for some.  Seems to give a more solid position when overhead pressing.  Can also try a little wider foot stance.

Once getting use to overhead pressing a better feel of balance should develop. Have a slight break (bend) in the knees will work for most. Try not looking up when pressing, but straight ahead. This can upset the basic balance for a few guy's. Good Luck.

Side Bar: The original military press was for the heels to be together,knees locked, back ramrod straight, the head remaining motionless and a complete lockout at the top.Lowering the bar down again was a slow and controlled effort. The only motion would be the arms pressing upwards and than reversing that downward. Hence the name Military Press. Like to see a few Pro's do it that way.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
I started doing these lat last year - both in front and behind the neck

It was a humbling experience to say the least

I'm going to try standing DB's sometime soon (something Larry Scott apparently liked a lot)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »

That's about how I do it, is that considered leaning back?

How much weight is that? ???

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
I started doing these lat last year - both in front and behind the neck

It was a humbling experience to say the least

I'm going to try standing DB's sometime soon (something Larry Scott apparently liked a lot)

Larry seemed to do something almost like an "Arnold Press." He only pressed the bells through about the middle three-fifths of the movement, while squeezing the scapula on the way up - this caused his elbows to travel back at the top.

If you've never seen him do them, I can probably send you a clip. There's footage of him teaching the movement on his 1980's seminar.
Larry credits this style of pressing as a major factor in his impressive delt development.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »
That's about how I do it, is that considered leaning back?

How much weight is that? ???

225, then 245... Lou was strong

Larry seemed to do something almost like an "Arnold Press." He only pressed the bells through about the middle three-fifths of the movement, while squeezing the scapula on the way up - this caused his elbows to travel back at the top.

If you've never seen him do them, I can probably send you a clip. There's footage of him teaching the movement on his 1980's seminar.
Larry credits this style of pressing as a major factor in his impressive delt development.

tried those years ago... made my shoulders ache... and not in a good way

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 02:47:56 AM »

Larry scotts variation is much better in my opinion, the so called "Arnold press" i do not like. The scott variation keeps your deltoids working and are kinder to you shoulders. Itīs not always the longer range of motion thatīs better. Larry scottīs hit the sweet spot nice.. superset these with barbell press and you will feel it(with lighter weight but the muscles will be worked hard). I now use Barbell press and Dumbbell press in my shoulder workout as i feel holding your arms further back than with Barbell press(as Dumbbells allow) it hits your Deltoids more central. Good post Monty..you have just given me a new idea for my next superset in my shoulder workout !!! will let you know  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
Doing the standard BB press behind the neck will insure that the shoulders are forced into being inline with the actual pressing muscle of the deltoids. If doing this with a DB's, than warmup the shoulders with just a empty bar first (press behind the neck). That do the DB version. Keep the mind on the position of the elbows and that they are kept back/inline with the body, even when they are overhead.

The Cuban Press is a excellent delt exercise, which can be akin to the above DB in line with the shoulder exercise. Greatly overlook by most BB'ers, but not by athlete's. Might find a video that can explain the movement fully. This exercise (and forms of) are used in rehap medical centers all over.

Got the Arnold , "W", Scott, Gironda, side press, see saw, alternate, one arm, etc, etc, etc. The only difference between a lot of these DB movements is the hand/grip position and the path of the overhead motion. Pick your own poison because the variety out them should favor anyone. Just learn to do each one the correct way. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »
Press behind neck is not an exercise for most Trainers and the DB press also in the neutral (Hammer grip) hits the Delts very well without shoulder stress. This is stressed by most sport Doctors.
http://www.fitflex.com/behindneckpress.html

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
I actually got my Bursitis from a behind the neck movement...behind the neck chins...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
i did these again today and loved them more... the only thing i worry about now is scratching the hell out of my chin on the way down (my olympic bars are very rough in the middle)  :)