Author Topic: Ex-Homeland Chief Napolitano: No Mercy for Edward Snowden  (Read 12521 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Ex-Homeland Chief Napolitano: No Mercy for Edward Snowden
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »
Yes, I am entitled to express my opinion on an opinion board, just like everyone else. 

I skimmed the link.  Didn't see him call Snowden a traitor.  That's the one improvement I'd offer to his commentary. 

I'd hardly call piling shit on top of shit an improvement, but hey... it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, right? An interesting question is whether you can logically support that opinion. Something tells me that you cannot.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
I'd hardly call piling shit on top of shit an improvement, but hey... it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, right? An interesting question is whether you can logically support that opinion. Something tells me that you cannot.

Yes, we are entitled to our opinions, especially on an opinion board.  You seem to be the only person struggling with that concept. 

Snowden disclosed secrets to foreign countries.  Telling other countries that we are spying on them makes him a traitor.  And what is worse, he is essentially getting paid for his treason, because at least two foreign countries have sponsored him.  I wonder if he will ever need to work again? 

I hope he spends the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »
Snowden disclosed secrets to foreign countries.

Correction: Snowden disclosed pervasive spying by the American Government on the American public via American journalists. This may not mean much to you, but it means a lot to some of us.

Telling other countries that we are spying on them makes him a traitor.

You're acting like other countries didn't know they were being spied on. Are you really that naive?

And what is worse, he is essentially getting paid for his treason, because at least two foreign countries have sponsored him.

Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence. Which country is sponsoring him and how? Remember, he only ended up stranded in Russia because the State Department revoked his passport, and no evidence has been presented that indicates that he is cooperating with the FSB or the Russian Government. Or ANY Government, for that matter.

I hope he spends the rest of his life looking over his shoulder.

Snowden knew he was throwing his life away when he chose to do this. But it is a pity he did so for people like you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »
Correction: Snowden disclosed pervasive spying by the American Government on the American public via American journalists. This may not mean much to you, but it means a lot to some of us.

You're acting like other countries didn't know they were being spied on. Are you really that naive?

Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence. Which country is sponsoring him and how? Remember, he only ended up stranded in Russia because the State Department revoked his passport, and no evidence has been presented that indicates that he is cooperating with the FSB or the Russian Government. Or ANY Government, for that matter.

Snowden knew he was throwing his life away when he chose to do this. But it is a pity he did so for people like you.

Other countries know we are spying on them, so it's fine for an American citizen with a security clearance, who signed a non-disclosure agreement, to violate both his agreement and federal law to disclose exactly how we are spying on other countries?  How stupid is that?  If that is the case, then why are we maintaining secrets?  There is a reason we don't post our covert activities on the internet.  Talk about naive. 

I don't believe he paid for his accommodations in either Hong Kong or Russia.  I doubt he has gainful employment, other than sharing American secrets with foreign countries.  Who paid his hotel bill?  Who is buying his food?  Who is paying for accommodations now?  (Rhetorical questions.)

Wait.  Snowden threw his life away for people like me?  lol . . . . I could care less about that traitorous turd.  I am glad we know about the domestic spying, but he went way too far by sharing secrets with foreign countries.  Indefensible.  And there are ways to be a whistleblower.  This is not one of them. 

I doubt he is suffering.  He needs to share a cell with Bradley Manning (or whatever the heck his female name is now). 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »
Big Data Firm Says It Can Link Snowden Data To Changed Terrorist Behavior
by DINA TEMPLE-RASTON
August 01, 2014

For nearly a year, U.S. government officials have said revelations from former NSA contract worker Edward Snowden harmed national security and allowed terrorists to develop their own countermeasures. Those officials haven't publicly given specific examples — but a tech firm based in Cambridge, Mass., says it has tangible evidence of the changes.

According to a new report to be released Friday by big data firm Recorded Future, a direct connection can be drawn: Just months after the Snowden documents were released, al-Qaida dramatically changed the way its operatives interacted online.

"We saw at least three major product releases coming out with different organizations with al-Qaida and associated organizations fairly quickly after the Snowden disclosures," said Recorded Future's CEO and co-founder Christopher Ahlberg. "But we wanted to go deeper and see how big those changes were."

By "product releases," Ahlberg means new software. And for the first time, Recorded Future says, it can now codify just how big a change it was.

The company brought in a cyber expert, Mario Vuksan, the CEO of Reversing Labs, to investigate the technical aspects of the new software. Vuksan essentially reverse-engineered the 2013 encryption updates and found not only more sophisticated software but also newly available downloads that allowed encryption on cellphones, Android products and Macs.

To put that change into context, for years, al-Qaida has used an encryption program written by its own coders called Mujahideen Secrets. It was a Windows-based program that groups like al-Qaida's arm in Yemen and al-Shabab in Somalia used to scramble their communications. American-born radical imam Anwar al-Awlaki used it, too. Since Mujahideen Secret's introduction in 2007, there had been some minor updates to the program, but no big upgrades.

Ahlberg thought the fact that the group changed the program months after Snowden's revelations provided good circumstantial evidence that the former contractor had had an impact — but he wanted to see how much.

As it turns out, Recorded Future and Reversing Labs discovered that al-Qaida didn't just tinker at the edges of its seven-year-old encryption software; it overhauled it. The new programs no longer use much of what's known as "homebrew," or homemade algorithms. Instead, al-Qaida has started incorporating more sophisticated open-source code to help disguise its communications.

"This is as close to proof that you can get that these have changed and improved their communications structure post the Snowden leaks," Ahlberg said.

Others are less sure that you can draw a straight line from Snowden to the changes in al-Qaida's encryption program. Bruce Schneier, a technologist and fellow at the Berkman Center at Harvard, said it's hard to tell.

"Certainly they have made changes," Schneier said, "but is that because of the normal costs of software development or because they thought rightly or wrongly that they were being targeted?"

Whatever the reason, Schneier says, al-Qaida's new encryption program won't necessarily keep communications secret, and the only way to ensure that nothing gets picked up is to not send anything electronically. Osama bin Laden understood that. That's why he ended up resorting to couriers.

Upgrading encryption software might mask communications for al-Qaida temporarily, but probably not for long, Schneier said.

"It is relatively easy to find vulnerabilities in software," he added. "This is why cybercriminals do so well stealing our credit cards. And it is also going to be why intelligence agencies are going to be able to break whatever software these al-Qaida operatives are using."

The NSA, for its part, declined to comment.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/01/336958020/big-data-firm-says-it-can-link-snowden-data-to-changed-terrorist-behavior?ft=1&f=1001

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
I wonder who is paying for this traitorous turd to live this kind of lifestyle?  Must be Russia. 

Snowden makes first public appearance, secretly visits Moscow’s Bolshoi theatre
Published time: August 05, 2014 17:18
Edited time: August 05, 2014 19:40 Get short URL

The US whistleblower Edward Snowden has visited Moscow’s Bolshoi Theatre in his first public appearance since coming to Russia a year ago. Reporters were hardly able to recognize the former CIA employee without his signature look glasses.

The NSA whistleblower apparently decided to mark a year of asylum in Russia by making a public appearance. He attended the Tsar's Bride opera in Moscow’s historic Bolshoi Theatre.

Snowden slipped in almost unnoticed. He sat in one of the theatre’s boxes, admiring Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov’s opera that recounts a tragic love story during the time of Ivan the Terrible’s reign in Russia.

Snowden publically promised to study Russian culture when he was granted asylum in August last year.

In June 2013, the former NSA contractor landed in Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport in transit from Hong Kong, with Ecuador as his final destination.

After Snowden leaked sensitive US intelligence, Washington charged him with theft of government property, unauthorized communication of national defense information, and willful communication of classified intelligence to an unauthorized person, canceling his passport upon arrival in Moscow. This led to the leaker getting stranded in the transit zone until Russia granted him temporary asylum.

His Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, told RT that during the time Snowden was holed up in the airport he brought him books by prominent Russian authors such as Fyodor Dostoevsky, Anton Chekhov, and the classic 12-volume History of the Russian state by 19th century historian Nikolay Karamzin - all of those books in English.

The State Academic Bolshoi Theater, in Moscow (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Vyatkin)The State Academic Bolshoi Theater, in Moscow (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Vyatkin)

At the same time, according to Kucherena, Snowden promised to learn Russian. When Snowden was granted asylum, he was taken to an undisclosed “safe place” and has not been seen in public since. During this time he has made a few videos and appeared in teleconferences and interviews.

In August last year, Life news published a photo of a man it claimed was the first showing US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden in Moscow. The image showed a casually-dressed man, with a goatee and glasses, pushing a supermarket trolley full of groceries across a road. However the photo was blurry and it was hard to establish the man’s identity.

Snowden filed an official petition on July 9 to extend his asylum in Russia for another year. The whistleblower can stay in the country while his application is being processed. Currently, Snowden holds a three-year post as Rector of the University of Glasgow and serves on the Freedom of the Press Foundation board of directors.

http://rt.com/news/178200-snowden-moscow-visit-theatre/

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »
I wonder who is paying for this traitorous turd to live this kind of lifestyle?  Must be Russia. 

Snowden makes first public appearance, secretly visits Moscow’s Bolshoi theatre
Published time: August 05, 2014 17:18
Edited time: August 05, 2014 19:40 Get short URL

The US whistleblower Edward Snowden has visited Moscow’s Bolshoi Theatre in his first public appearance since coming to Russia a year ago. Reporters were hardly able to recognize the former CIA employee without his signature look glasses.

The NSA whistleblower apparently decided to mark a year of asylum in Russia by making a public appearance. He attended the Tsar's Bride opera in Moscow’s historic Bolshoi Theatre.

Snowden slipped in almost unnoticed. He sat in one of the theatre’s boxes, admiring Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov’s opera that recounts a tragic love story during the time of Ivan the Terrible’s reign in Russia.

Snowden publically promised to study Russian culture when he was granted asylum in August last year.

In June 2013, the former NSA contractor landed in Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport in transit from Hong Kong, with Ecuador as his final destination.

After Snowden leaked sensitive US intelligence, Washington charged him with theft of government property, unauthorized communication of national defense information, and willful communication of classified intelligence to an unauthorized person, canceling his passport upon arrival in Moscow. This led to the leaker getting stranded in the transit zone until Russia granted him temporary asylum.

His Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, told RT that during the time Snowden was holed up in the airport he brought him books by prominent Russian authors such as Fyodor Dostoevsky, Anton Chekhov, and the classic 12-volume History of the Russian state by 19th century historian Nikolay Karamzin - all of those books in English.

The State Academic Bolshoi Theater, in Moscow (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Vyatkin)The State Academic Bolshoi Theater, in Moscow (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Vyatkin)

At the same time, according to Kucherena, Snowden promised to learn Russian. When Snowden was granted asylum, he was taken to an undisclosed “safe place” and has not been seen in public since. During this time he has made a few videos and appeared in teleconferences and interviews.

In August last year, Life news published a photo of a man it claimed was the first showing US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden in Moscow. The image showed a casually-dressed man, with a goatee and glasses, pushing a supermarket trolley full of groceries across a road. However the photo was blurry and it was hard to establish the man’s identity.

Snowden filed an official petition on July 9 to extend his asylum in Russia for another year. The whistleblower can stay in the country while his application is being processed. Currently, Snowden holds a three-year post as Rector of the University of Glasgow and serves on the Freedom of the Press Foundation board of directors.

http://rt.com/news/178200-snowden-moscow-visit-theatre/

What kind of lifestyle?  Is it something talked about at the link?  (I've only read what you've excerpted and not the article at the link itself.)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

Rock solid logic there...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
Rock solid logic there...

I agree. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
What kind of lifestyle?  Is it something talked about at the link?  (I've only read what you've excerpted and not the article at the link itself.)

He is likely unemployed.  Not too many unemployed people attend the theater.  And I doubt he is living in squalor. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
He is likely unemployed.  Not too many unemployed people attend the theater.  And I doubt he is living in squalor. 

You should spare yourself the embarrassment of finding out exactly what your doubts on the topic are worth, especially considering that they are pure speculation on your part.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
You should spare yourself the embarrassment of finding out exactly what your doubts on the topic are worth, especially considering that they are pure speculation on your part.

Embarrassment?  lol 

My opinion is as speculative as your unexpressed opinion.  Nobody knows for certain what he is doing.  But if you think he is slaving away at a 9-5 job, then you are pretty naive. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »

But didn't the article say "his one public appearance"?  Couldn't he have savings that would cover one ticket to the Bolshoi Theater?   

If ya ask me, having to live anywhere near Moscow, holed up like he mostly is or not, sounds like the suck to me. 

Weather is too humid in summer and hella cold in the winter.  Even shittier than the weather in Raleigh, NC that I'm happy to not have to deal with anymore.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
But didn't the article say "his one public appearance"?  Couldn't he have savings that would cover one ticket to the Bolshoi Theater?   

If ya ask me, having to live anywhere near Moscow, holed up like he mostly is or not, sounds like the suck to me. 

Weather is too humid in summer and hella cold in the winter.  Even shittier than the weather in Raleigh, NC that I'm happy to not have to deal with anymore.

He left his job in Hawaii in May 2013.  If he was living off savings (assuming he had any), I doubt living in hotels, etc. allowed him to save money. 

The man has been cooperating with one of our longest foes.  They have to be taking care of that traitor. 

I hope to see him behind bars one day.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
Edward Snowden Wins Sweden's 'Alternative Nobel Prize'
Wednesday, 24 Sep 2014

Former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden has been awarded Sweden's Right Livelihood Honorary Award, often referred to as the 'Alternative Nobel Prize', for his work on press freedom, the award's foundation said on Wednesday.

Snowden is wanted by the United States for leaking extensive secrets of its electronic surveillance programmes and lives in Russia where he has a three-year residence permit.

The Right Livelihood Award Foundation said Snowden was given the prize "for his courage and skill in revealing the unprecedented extent of state surveillance violating basic democratic processes and constitutional rights."

He shares the award with Alan Rusbridger, editor-in-chief of the British newspaper The Guardian, with whom he collaborated to publish his revelations on the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA), the foundation said in a statement.

It also said it would fund legal support for Snowden.

Snowden, who fled to Hong Kong and then Moscow last year, is believed to have taken 1.7 million computerised documents. Those published so far revealed massive programmes run by the NSA that gathered information on emails, phone calls and Internet use by hundreds of millions of Americans.

Snowden was charged last year in the United States with theft of government property, unauthorised communication of national defence information and wilful communication of classified intelligence to an unauthorised person.

The Right Livelihood Award was established in 1980 to honour and support those "offering practical and exemplary answers to the most urgent challenges facing us today".

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/edward-snowden-sweden-alternative-nobel/2014/09/24/id/596600/#ixzz3EFhkw13n

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
 ::)

CELEBRITIES SIGN STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF SNOWDEN, WIKILEAKS
by DANIEL NUSSBAUM  10 Nov 2014

Russell Brand And Susan Sarandon Declare Support For Edward Snowden
NY Daily News

A group of over 50 musicians, actors, celebrities, and other public figures signed a statement in support of whistleblowing organization WikiLeaks and notorious NSA contractor Edward Snowden this week.

According to Rolling Stone, the signatories include musicians Moby, M.I.A., P.J. Harvey, Tom Morello, and Thurston Moore; actors Russell Brand, Viggo Mortensen, Pamela Anderson, and Susan Sarandon; and directors Alfonso Cuaron and Terry Gilliam. Political commentator and linguist Noam Chomsky and clothing designer Vivienne Westwood also signed the statement.

The statement reads:

We stand in support of those fearless whistleblowers and publishers who risk their lives and careers to stand up for truth and justice. Thanks to the courage of sources like Daniel Ellsberg, Chelsea Manning, Jeremy Hammond and Edward Snowden, the public can finally see for themselves the war crimes, corruption, mass surveillance, and abuses of power of the U.S. government and other governments around the world. WikiLeaks is essential for its fearless dedication in defending these sources and publishing their truths. These bold and courageous acts spark accountability, can transform governments and ultimately make the world a better place.

Several of the people who signed the statement of support issued statements of their own, including Viggo Mortensen, who called for the public to donate to the Courage Foundation, Snowden's legal defense fund.

"As Albert Camus once put it, governments, by definition, do not have consciences; they have policies and nothing more," Mortensen wrote in his statement. "Therefore, it is up to all of us free-thinking citizens to demand truly transparent democracy and high, unbiased moral standards from those who govern us. I hope everyone can chip in to support Snowden and those patriotic whistleblowers that come after him."

In her own statement, clothing designer Westwood promoted CitizenFour, a new documentary sympathetic to Snowden.

"I didn't ask Edward Snowden to stick his neck out for me," Westwood's statement read. "But now that he did, I ask myself where would we be without him?"

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/11/10/Russell-Brand-M-I-A-Noam-Chomsky-and-Others-Sign-Statement-in-Support-of-Snowden-WikiLeaks

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
Feds: Snowden Would Face Charges If He Returns

Image: Feds: Snowden Would Face Charges If He Returns (AFPTV/AFP/Getty Images)
Wednesday, 04 Mar 2015

Edward Snowden's Russian lawyer said Tuesday that legal teams are "doing everything possible" to return him to the United States, but his lead American attorney said the Russian's statements were exaggerated.

“This is much ado about nothing,” Ben Wizner, who serves as director of the ACLU's Speech, Privacy & Technology Project and is Snowden’s head legal counsel in the United States, told Vanity Fair's website in an e-mail. "Just [Snowden’s] Russian lawyer paraphrasing what [Snowden] has always said: that he would return to the U.S. if a fair trial were available.”

At a news conference in Moscow on Tuesday, Anatoly Kucherena, who is Snowden's attorney in Russia, said he would not "keep it secret that he... wants to return back home. And we are doing everything possible now to solve this issue. There is a group of U.S. lawyers, there is also a group of German lawyers and I'm dealing with it on the Russian side."

Kucherena, who has links to the Kremlin, made the comments during a news conference Tuesday to present a book he has written about Snowden.

Snowden has been living under asylum in Russia since 2013, where he fled after leaking vital documents from the National Security Agency. He has long said he wishes to return home to the United States, but won't because of what he calls the threat of unfair prosecution.
Latest News Update

In Washington, U.S. officials said they would welcome the former NSA contractor's Snowden's return to the United States but he would have to face criminal charges which have been filed against him. Russia has repeatedly refused to extradite him.

"It remains our position that Mr. Snowden should return to the United States and face the charges filed against him,"Justice Department spokesman Marc Raimondi told Reuters: "If he does, he will be accorded full due process and protections."

Snowden is praised by some as a civil rights campaigner and whistleblower and condemned by others as a traitor who compromised U.S. security. Kucherena said in August Snowden had been given a three-year Russian residence permit.

The U.S. position is that "Snowden is not a whistleblower. He is accused of leaking classified information and there is no question his actions have inflicted serious harms on our national security," Raimondi said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/snowden-return-US-russia/2015/03/04/id/628147/#ixzz3TRU9Bk3z

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »
Feds: Snowden Would Face Charges If He Returns

Image: Feds: Snowden Would Face Charges If He Returns (AFPTV/AFP/Getty Images)
Wednesday, 04 Mar 2015

Edward Snowden's Russian lawyer said Tuesday that legal teams are "doing everything possible" to return him to the United States, but his lead American attorney said the Russian's statements were exaggerated.

“This is much ado about nothing,” Ben Wizner, who serves as director of the ACLU's Speech, Privacy & Technology Project and is Snowden’s head legal counsel in the United States, told Vanity Fair's website in an e-mail. "Just [Snowden’s] Russian lawyer paraphrasing what [Snowden] has always said: that he would return to the U.S. if a fair trial were available.”

At a news conference in Moscow on Tuesday, Anatoly Kucherena, who is Snowden's attorney in Russia, said he would not "keep it secret that he... wants to return back home. And we are doing everything possible now to solve this issue. There is a group of U.S. lawyers, there is also a group of German lawyers and I'm dealing with it on the Russian side."

Kucherena, who has links to the Kremlin, made the comments during a news conference Tuesday to present a book he has written about Snowden.

Snowden has been living under asylum in Russia since 2013, where he fled after leaking vital documents from the National Security Agency. He has long said he wishes to return home to the United States, but won't because of what he calls the threat of unfair prosecution.
Latest News Update

In Washington, U.S. officials said they would welcome the former NSA contractor's Snowden's return to the United States but he would have to face criminal charges which have been filed against him. Russia has repeatedly refused to extradite him.

"It remains our position that Mr. Snowden should return to the United States and face the charges filed against him,"Justice Department spokesman Marc Raimondi told Reuters: "If he does, he will be accorded full due process and protections."

Snowden is praised by some as a civil rights campaigner and whistleblower and condemned by others as a traitor who compromised U.S. security. Kucherena said in August Snowden had been given a three-year Russian residence permit.

The U.S. position is that "Snowden is not a whistleblower. He is accused of leaking classified information and there is no question his actions have inflicted serious harms on our national security," Raimondi said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/snowden-return-US-russia/2015/03/04/id/628147/#ixzz3TRU9Bk3z

Sounds like Putin has n more use for him and is geting rid of the dead weight.  He should have gone to Cuba instead.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
 >:(

Eric Holder: The Justice Department could strike deal with Edward Snowden
Michael Isikoff
Chief Investigative Correspondent
July 6, 2015

Former Attorney General Eric Holder said today that a “possibility exists” for the Justice Department to cut a deal with former NSA contractor Edward Snowden that would allow him to return to the United States from Moscow.

In an interview with Yahoo News, Holder said “we are in a different place as a result of the Snowden disclosures” and that “his actions spurred a necessary debate” that prompted President Obama and Congress to change policies on the bulk collection of phone records of American citizens.

Asked if that meant the Justice Department might now be open to a plea bargain that allows Snowden to return from his self-imposed exile in Moscow, Holder replied: “I certainly think there could be a basis for a resolution that everybody could ultimately be satisfied with. I think the possibility exists.”

Holder’s comments came as he began a new job as a private lawyer at Covington & Burling, the elite Washington law firm where he worked before serving as the nation’s top law enforcement officer from February 2009 until last April.

In that capacity, Holder presided over an unprecedented crackdown on government leakers, including the filing of a June 2013 criminal complaint against Snowden, charging him with three felony violations of the Espionage Act for turning over tens of thousands of government documents to journalists.

Holder had previously said — in a January 2014 interview with MSNBC — that the U.S. would be willing to “engage in conversation” with Snowden and his lawyers were he willing to return to the United States to face the charges, but ruled out any granting of clemency.

But his remarks to Yahoo News go further than any current or former Obama administration official in suggesting that Snowden’s disclosures had a positive impact and that the administration might be open to a negotiated plea that the self-described whistleblower could accept, according to his lawyer Ben Wizner.

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden is seen on a screen during a video conference as part of Amnesty International’s Write for Rights campaign in 2014. (Photo: Charles Platiau/Pool/AP)

“The former attorney general’s recognition that Snowden’s actions led to meaningful changes is welcome,” said Wizner. “This is significant … I don’t think we’ve seen this kind of respect from anybody at a Cabinet level before.”

Holder declined to discuss what the outlines of a possible deal might consist of, saying that as the former attorney general, it would not be “appropriate” for him to discuss it.

It’s also not clear whether Holder’s comments signal a shift in Obama administration attitudes that could result in a resolution of the charges against Snowden. Melanie Newman, chief spokeswoman for Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Holder’s successor, immediately shot down the idea that the Justice Department was softening its stance on Snowden.

“This is an ongoing case so I am not going to get into specific details but I can say our position regarding bringing Edward Snowden back to the United States to face charges has not changed,” she said in an email.

Three sources familiar with informal discussions of Snowden’s case told Yahoo News that one top U.S. intelligence official, Robert Litt, the chief counsel to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, recently privately floated the idea that the government might be open to a plea bargain in which Snowden returns to the United States, pleads guilty to one felony count and receives a prison sentence of three to five years in exchange for full cooperation with the government.

Litt declined to comment. A source close to Litt said any comments he made were personal and did not represent the position of the U.S. government. The source also said Litt has made clear to Snowden’s representatives that “nothing is going to happen unless he comes in and moves off this idea, ‘I’m entitled to a medal.’”

But Wizner, Snowden’s lawyer, said any felony plea by Snowden that results in prison time would be unacceptable to his client. “Our position is he should not be reporting to prison as a felon and losing his civil rights as a result of his act of conscience,” he said.

Moreover, any suggestion of leniency toward Snowden would likely run into strong political opposition in Congress as well as fierce resistance from hard-liners in the intelligence community who remain outraged over his wholesale disclosure of highly classified government documents. Those feelings have, in some ways, been exacerbated by Snowden’s worldwide celebrity that recently prompted him to enter into an arrangement with a speaker’s bureau that has allowed him to give paid talks to worldwide audiences via Skype from his apartment in Moscow.

“I’m quite stunned that we would be considering any return of Snowden to this country other than to meet a jury of his peers, period,” said Michael Hayden, former director of both the NSA and CIA under President George W. Bush, when asked about Holder’s comments.

What Snowden did, however, “was the greatest hemorrhaging of legitimate American secrets in the history of the republic, no question about it,” Hayden added.

Whatever happens, Snowden’s legal fate won’t be in Holder’s hands. In the interview, he said he planned to concentrate on giving “strategic advice” to corporate clients at Covington — but no lobbying — while also engaging in significant pro bono work, including starting a foundation to promote issues such as criminal justice reform.

Holder also said he has already had “interactions” with Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and expects to be helpful, including possibly speaking at campaign events and providing advice. “That will be up to the campaign,” he said. “Whatever the nominee wants.”

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/eric-holder-the-justice-department-could-strike-123393663066.html

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »
Title should read:

US Citizens: No Mercy for Napolitano or Whore Politicians

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
>:(

Michael Isikoff
Chief Investigative Correspondent
July 6, 2015

Former Attorney General Eric Holder said today that a “possibility exists” for the Justice Department to cut a deal with former NSA contractor Edward Snowden that would allow him to return to the United States from Moscow.

In an interview with Yahoo News, Holder said “we are in a different place as a result of the Snowden disclosures” and that “his actions spurred a necessary debate” that prompted President Obama and Congress to change policies on the bulk collection of phone records of American citizens.

Asked if that meant the Justice Department might now be open to a plea bargain that allows Snowden to return from his self-imposed exile in Moscow, Holder replied: “I certainly think there could be a basis for a resolution that everybody could ultimately be satisfied with. I think the possibility exists.”

Holder’s comments came as he began a new job as a private lawyer at Covington & Burling, the elite Washington law firm where he worked before serving as the nation’s top law enforcement officer from February 2009 until last April.

In that capacity, Holder presided over an unprecedented crackdown on government leakers, including the filing of a June 2013 criminal complaint against Snowden, charging him with three felony violations of the Espionage Act for turning over tens of thousands of government documents to journalists.

Holder had previously said — in a January 2014 interview with MSNBC — that the U.S. would be willing to “engage in conversation” with Snowden and his lawyers were he willing to return to the United States to face the charges, but ruled out any granting of clemency.

But his remarks to Yahoo News go further than any current or former Obama administration official in suggesting that Snowden’s disclosures had a positive impact and that the administration might be open to a negotiated plea that the self-described whistleblower could accept, according to his lawyer Ben Wizner.

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden is seen on a screen during a video conference as part of Amnesty International’s Write for Rights campaign in 2014. (Photo: Charles Platiau/Pool/AP)

“The former attorney general’s recognition that Snowden’s actions led to meaningful changes is welcome,” said Wizner. “This is significant … I don’t think we’ve seen this kind of respect from anybody at a Cabinet level before.”

Holder declined to discuss what the outlines of a possible deal might consist of, saying that as the former attorney general, it would not be “appropriate” for him to discuss it.

It’s also not clear whether Holder’s comments signal a shift in Obama administration attitudes that could result in a resolution of the charges against Snowden. Melanie Newman, chief spokeswoman for Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Holder’s successor, immediately shot down the idea that the Justice Department was softening its stance on Snowden.

“This is an ongoing case so I am not going to get into specific details but I can say our position regarding bringing Edward Snowden back to the United States to face charges has not changed,” she said in an email.

Three sources familiar with informal discussions of Snowden’s case told Yahoo News that one top U.S. intelligence official, Robert Litt, the chief counsel to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, recently privately floated the idea that the government might be open to a plea bargain in which Snowden returns to the United States, pleads guilty to one felony count and receives a prison sentence of three to five years in exchange for full cooperation with the government.

Litt declined to comment. A source close to Litt said any comments he made were personal and did not represent the position of the U.S. government. The source also said Litt has made clear to Snowden’s representatives that “nothing is going to happen unless he comes in and moves off this idea, ‘I’m entitled to a medal.’”

But Wizner, Snowden’s lawyer, said any felony plea by Snowden that results in prison time would be unacceptable to his client. “Our position is he should not be reporting to prison as a felon and losing his civil rights as a result of his act of conscience,” he said.

Moreover, any suggestion of leniency toward Snowden would likely run into strong political opposition in Congress as well as fierce resistance from hard-liners in the intelligence community who remain outraged over his wholesale disclosure of highly classified government documents. Those feelings have, in some ways, been exacerbated by Snowden’s worldwide celebrity that recently prompted him to enter into an arrangement with a speaker’s bureau that has allowed him to give paid talks to worldwide audiences via Skype from his apartment in Moscow.

“I’m quite stunned that we would be considering any return of Snowden to this country other than to meet a jury of his peers, period,” said Michael Hayden, former director of both the NSA and CIA under President George W. Bush, when asked about Holder’s comments.

What Snowden did, however, “was the greatest hemorrhaging of legitimate American secrets in the history of the republic, no question about it,” Hayden added.

Whatever happens, Snowden’s legal fate won’t be in Holder’s hands. In the interview, he said he planned to concentrate on giving “strategic advice” to corporate clients at Covington — but no lobbying — while also engaging in significant pro bono work, including starting a foundation to promote issues such as criminal justice reform.

Holder also said he has already had “interactions” with Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and expects to be helpful, including possibly speaking at campaign events and providing advice. “That will be up to the campaign,” he said. “Whatever the nominee wants.”

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/eric-holder-the-justice-department-could-strike-123393663066.html

Good, they should recognize that what he did wasn't 100% bad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2015, 06:15:25 PM »

Good, they should recognize that what he did wasn't 100% bad.

Yeah what's a little treason among friends.  He should spend the rest of his life in prison IMO. 

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »
Yeah what's a little treason among friends.  He should spend the rest of his life in prison IMO. 

I disagree, not the rest of his life.  Just till he's 85-90! ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
I disagree, not the rest of his life.  Just till he's 85-90! ;D

I can live with that.  A little time off for good behavior.   :)