Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 585121 times)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #1650 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »
My clients are unable to go to the range and practice shooting their guns so they are far from "trained snipers" thankfully

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1651 on: October 06, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
won´t save anyone from a trained sniper. Just saying.
Put down Call of Duty while the adults are speaking. Please.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #1652 on: October 06, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
  You guys do realize that practically all my clients have bullet proof vests.   I can buy one on the streets for $1,200 and that is a top
quality vest.  But then again, I can't buy one, legally.

Travel to Va.

You can buy one.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #1653 on: October 06, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
Harley,

Have you ever seen the (1979) movie And Justice For All with Al Pacino?  What did you think of it?  I see a lot of parallels to things you've said and it appears not much has changed the last 36 years.

Speaking of movies, what are some of your favorite law/courtroom flicks?
:

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #1654 on: October 06, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
won´t save anyone from a trained sniper. Just saying.
Watching too many films

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1655 on: October 06, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1656 on: October 07, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Put down Call of Duty while the adults are speaking. Please.

That is hysterical.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1657 on: October 07, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
Harley,

Have you ever seen the (1979) movie And Justice For All with Al Pacino?  What did you think of it?  I see a lot of parallels to things you've said and it appears not much has changed the last 36 years.

Speaking of movies, what are some of your favorite law/courtroom flicks?

Dear Princess L,
  That is a question I have been asked before by many people (before I ever got to GetBig) so I chuckled a bit when I read your question.
  The truth is that I don't very much enjoy the "Hollywoodization" of court room drama.  I probably take it a bit too personally but I really do think that the Trial Lawyer, as opposed
to the overwhelming majority of lawyers, plays a very significant and unique role in our society.  The once central theme in any civilized society (and here, I am sure Pellius will very
adroitly correct me given his profound knowledge of history) and again, the key word is "civilized", is that there is someone to stand up and defend the detested against heinous charges.
   I could practically have everyone here at GetBig step forward if they were given the opportunity to act as Prosecutor let's say, in the case of State v. Ruel Powell
(N.J. Indictment Number:10-11-1117 for those auditing me).  My client, Ruel Powell was indicted for vaginally and anally raping his 5 year old sister.  The victim gave a video taped interview
just days after the alleged event occurred.  Three years later, at trial, the video was played for the jury and the victim testified in court.  
  Most people in society would volunteer to prosecute anyone who was charged with such disgusting crimes.  
  But how many people step forward to defend him?  How many people say "I will be the guy to make sure that if this thing does go down, it goes down fairly, correctly and under the umbrella
of all the laws and rights afforded to each and every person in our society especially when they themselves are a defendant in a criminal trial."  Without that surety of a checks and balances to ensure
that the government and law enforcement don't make a rush to judgment or break any rules, there can never be the equal and true enforcement of rights and certainly, there can never be
civility.  By the way, the jury found my client, Ruel Powell Not Guilty at the end of the trial.
  What Hollywood does is to take the importance of everyone's role in the trial and glamourize it.  First of all, no one on the planet looks like Matthew McConaughey let alone any lawyer.  When you see
guys like that acting the roles they are given, it makes a mockery of all it took for me to hone my skills and do what I do.  Again, I do take it a bit personally but to me, it's as if Hollywood is saying
that any guy can come in and do what I do.  These movies also give ridiculous victories to defense counsel while obliterating all the Rules of Evidence and Rules of Criminal Procedure.  The speeches alone
are often filled with completely inadmissible material that no real attorney would ever want to say in front of a jury.
  I guess I am just too close to the real stuff to suspend my imagination and believe that someone like Tom Cruise can even think with the insight it takes to create novel and winning arguments.  Do I enjoy
watching Jack Nicholson screaming and everyone thus believing he is actually making a legal point and winning an actual argument? No,  I don't.
  When I was studying for my LL.M. in Trial Advocacy we actually analyzed "My Cousin Vinnie" which made some very real points and used some good trial strategy and correct law.  
  Also, I am somewhat of a movie expert and have collected classic movie posters (starting from the early 1900's) for decades so there are so many great movies I love to watch that the courtroom
stuff just doesn't enter the equation.
Harley

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1658 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
Harley, Welcome back from the Happiest Kingdom of Them All.

Net time we Meet & Greet I'll take a few minutes of your time and tell you some funny stories about the Disney characters and who played those roles.

And it was great meeting you all at the Olympia.

This year the Meet and Greet event seemed relatively empty until you or Ron or Wiggs mentioned that the downstairs part of the area was also a part of the Meet and Greet this year which made it a lot less crowded upstairs.

I did receive your grandfather's book and I will be sending it to you for an autograph and any remarks you want to add.

Please email me an address so I can mail it off to you.

I read constantly and am presently reAding BRIDGE OF SPIES before I open your grandfather's book.

I'm a big movie fan and have seen many films about those days and would like to ask you which of the concentration camp films was of most interest to you.

Thanks, Harley ... Stunt

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1659 on: October 07, 2015, 05:55:45 PM »
Harley, I think every GetBigger would be interested in hearing how
State v. Ruel Powell proceeded and how he was found "not guilty".

And how did you feel about the Simpson trial during the actual proceedings.

I'm no legal genius but have the uncanny ability to 'read' people as good or bad (sounds stupid, huh?) and I 'determined' his guilt as soon as he 'attempted' to pull that glove on his fist directly in front of the jury.

I got other legal 'observations' I'd like to throw at ya if you would not mind too much  ... but you can OBJECT if I speak out of line.

As long as I am permitted to say, "OVER-RULED".

Thanks again, HARLEY .... Stunt

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1660 on: October 07, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
Harley, Welcome back from the Happiest Kingdom of Them All.

Net time we Meet & Greet I'll take a few minutes of your time and tell you some funny stories about the Disney characters and who played those roles.

And it was great meeting you all at the Olympia.

This year the Meet and Greet event seemed relatively empty until you or Ron or Wiggs mentioned that the downstairs part of the area was also a part of the Meet and Greet this year which made it a lot less crowded upstairs.

I did receive your grandfather's book and I will be sending it to you for an autograph and any remarks you want to add.

Please email me an address so I can mail it off to you.

I read constantly and am presently reAding BRIDGE OF SPIES before I open your grandfather's book.

I'm a big movie fan and have seen many films about those days and would like to ask you which of the concentration camp films was of most interest to you.

Thanks, Harley ... Stunt

Dear Stuntmovie,
   "The Happiest Kingdom Of Them All" is still a topic I am hesitant to discuss as my observations have only corroborated my pre-existing theory on the completely sad state
in which our country finds its "culture" and ideology.  It truly epitomized why this country has failed on so many levels and will never return to even a shade of greatness until
men return to being men and women return to being women.  I am disgusted and saddened by all of this.  It's no wonder Europe laughs and calls us pussies.  It's no wonder
that ISIS has no fear of America and radical extremists continue to kill innocent Americans and sabotage our economy in a plethora of direct attacks as well as the response of
how we direct our seemingly endless amount of resources and money to those who so clearly don't deserve our largess.  I wouldn't let one more single American die in the Middle
East until Saudi Arabia sold us oil at a price where I wasn't paying more than ONE SINGLE DOLLAR per gallon at my local pump.
  I am sorry I am on a rant.
  I went off topic. 
  Let me cool down and come back soon.
Harley

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #1661 on: October 07, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
Miss Harley!!! The BJJ and bodybuilding king of GetBig :-)

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1662 on: October 07, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Miss Harley!!! The BJJ and bodybuilding king of GetBig :-)

Please check your PM.
No Homo (just in case).

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1663 on: October 08, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »
Harley, I think every GetBigger would be interested in hearing how
State v. Ruel Powell proceeded and how he was found "not guilty".

And how did you feel about the Simpson trial during the actual proceedings.

I'm no legal genius but have the uncanny ability to 'read' people as good or bad (sounds stupid, huh?) and I 'determined' his guilt as soon as he 'attempted' to pull that glove on his fist directly in front of the jury.

I got other legal 'observations' I'd like to throw at ya if you would not mind too much  ... but you can OBJECT if I speak out of line.

As long as I am permitted to say, "OVER-RULED".

Thanks again, HARLEY .... Stunt

Dear Stuntmovie,
  My defense of Ruel Powell was predicated on attacking the credibility of the victim who at the time of her testimony before the jury was just 8 years old.
  Obviously, attacking an 8 year old girl who made such horrific claims of what was done to her is a difficult task and must be done gingerly and with diplomacy.
  I decided to bring her Mom and aunt on the stand too in an effort to bring out that the girl (like all 5 year olds) had at times, lied about things.  All kids lie about
things, little things and even sometimes, big things.  Even the admission by the mom and aunt that the girl lied at times (like all little kids), coupled with their admission
that they were surprised by the charges and never thought their son and nephew could ever do such a thing helped quite a bit.
  I also, in a rare move, put my client on the stand.  Although he was Jamaican and had a heavy accent, he came across well and stuck to his position as advised by me.
  My client was facing 20 years in prison with 17 years of that mandatory before he could even apply for parole.  The State initially offered 18 years as a plea.  We rejected that.
As I worked on the case over a period of 3 years, the offers went from 18 years to 15 years to 10 years to 5 years and then, finally to 364 days in the county jail.  My client rejected
ALL those offers (there is a mandatory Megan's Law -- Sexual Offender Status attached to those crimes which was still part of the plea) and we went to trial.
  Thankfully it worked out well for Ruel.
  It's funny you ask me about the O.J. Simpson trial as that is the event that crystallized my future for me in that, once I saw Johnnie Cochran doing what he did, I knew right away
that was my "calling" and that I could do something special.   It was a true epiphany as my entire childhood was about speaking to and with adults rather than kids of my own age.  I was
always "hustling" and "convincing" others.  I had always been fascinated with proper grammar (although my fast typing and laziness to use Spell Check might suggest otherwise) and especially
with obtaining a large vocabulary.  I was that loquacious, smart nerd who hung out with adults and was always reading the dictionary.  Once I saw Johnnie, it was like a drug and I had to have
that and do that.
  An interesting side note I can one day discuss if there is any interest is my friendship with the now deceased Vincent Bugliosi, the man who prosecuted Charles Manson.  He also wrote the most
successful true crime novel of all time, "Helter Skelter."  He wrote a book about the OJ Trial and that was a topic we often discussed as well.
  As far as throwing "Legal Observations" at me, of course, you and everyone else are always welcome to do that with me and raise any question you like.  I am happy to discuss those matters
if you guys have any interest.
Harley

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1664 on: October 08, 2015, 03:22:19 AM »
Dear Stuntmovie,
  My defense of Ruel Powell was predicated on attacking the credibility of the victim who at the time of her testimony before the jury was just 8 years old.
  Obviously, attacking an 8 year old girl who made such horrific claims of what was done to her is a difficult task and must be done gingerly and with diplomacy.
  I decided to bring her Mom and aunt on the stand too in an effort to bring out that the girl (like all 5 year olds) had at times, lied about things.  All kids lie abouto
things, little things and even sometimes, big things.  Even the admission by the mom and aunt that the girl lied at times (like all little kids), coupled with their admission
that they were surprised by the charges and never thought their son and nephew could ever do such a thing helped quite a bit.
  I also, in a rare move, put my client on the stand.  Although he was Jamaican and had a heavy accent, he came across well and stuck to his position as advised by me.
  My client was facing 20 years in prison with 17 years of that mandatory before he could even apply for parole.  The State initially offered 18 years as a plea.  We rejected that.
As I worked on the case over a period of 3 years, the offers went from 18 years to 15 years to 10 years to 5 years and then, finally to 364 days in the county jail.  My client rejected
ALL those offers (there is a mandatory Megan's Law -- Sexual Offender Status attached to those crimes which was still part of the plea) and we went to trial.
  Thankfully it worked out well for Ruel.
  It's funny you ask me about the O.J. Simpson trial as that is the event that crystallized my future for me in that, once I saw Johnnie Cochran doing what he did, I knew right away
that was my "calling" and that I could do something special.   It was a true epiphany as my entire childhood was about speaking to and with adults rather than kids of my own age.  I was
always "hustling" and "convincing" others.  I had always been fascinated with proper grammar (although my fast typing and laziness to use Spell Check might suggest otherwise) and especially
with obtaining a large vocabulary.  I was that loquacious, smart nerd who hung out with adults and was always reading the dictionary.  Once I saw Johnnie, it was like a drug and I had to have
that and do that.
  An interesting side note I can one day discuss if there is any interest is my friendship with the now deceased Vincent Bugliosi, the man who prosecuted Charles Manson.  He also wrote the most
successful true crime novel of all time, "Helter Skelter."  He wrote a book about the OJ Trial and that was a topic we often discussed as well.
  As far as throwing "Legal Observations" at me, of course, you and everyone else are always welcome to do that with me and raise any question you like.  I am happy to discuss those matters
if you guys have any interest.
Harley

I read that book, also read the one he wrote about JFK's assassination. In addition to Helter Skelter, of course.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1665 on: October 08, 2015, 05:06:22 AM »
Dear The Ugly,
   I thought Vincent Bugliosi's book on the JFK Assassination was clearly well researched but way too long and honestly, offered nothing
new on the subject.
   I think he took it on because he wanted to become more relevant and he also felt a connection to JFK.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1666 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:25 AM »
Dear The Ugly,
   You've read quite a few of Bugliosi's books.  Are you a fan of his?
   He was quite a character.  I remember sitting at a table with him, Farrah Fawcett and William Shatner and all anyone wanted to talk about was
how Vince would've prosecuted OJ and how I would've defended him.  This was, of course, many years after the trial.
Harley

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1667 on: October 08, 2015, 05:56:29 AM »
Dear Princess L,
  That is a question I have been asked before by many people (before I ever got to GetBig) so I chuckled a bit when I read your question.
  The truth is that I don't very much enjoy the "Hollywoodization" of court room drama.  I probably take it a bit too personally but I really do think that the Trial Lawyer, as opposed
to the overwhelming majority of lawyers, plays a very significant and unique role in our society.  The once central theme in any civilized society (and here, I am sure Pellius will very
adroitly correct me given his profound knowledge of history) and again, the key word is "civilized", is that there is someone to stand up and defend the detested against heinous charges.
   I could practically have everyone here at GetBig step forward if they were given the opportunity to act as Prosecutor let's say, in the case of State v. Ruel Powell
(N.J. Indictment Number:10-11-1117 for those auditing me).  My client, Ruel Powell was indicted for vaginally and anally raping his 5 year old sister.  The victim gave a video taped interview
just days after the alleged event occurred.  Three years later, at trial, the video was played for the jury and the victim testified in court.  
  Most people in society would volunteer to prosecute anyone who was charged with such disgusting crimes.  
  But how many people step forward to defend him?  How many people say "I will be the guy to make sure that if this thing does go down, it goes down fairly, correctly and under the umbrella
of all the laws and rights afforded to each and every person in our society especially when they themselves are a defendant in a criminal trial."  Without that surety of a checks and balances to ensure
that the government and law enforcement don't make a rush to judgment or break any rules, there can never be the equal and true enforcement of rights and certainly, there can never be
civility.  By the way, the jury found my client, Ruel Powell Not Guilty at the end of the trial.
  What Hollywood does is to take the importance of everyone's role in the trial and glamourize it.  First of all, no one on the planet looks like Matthew McConaughey let alone any lawyer.  When you see
guys like that acting the roles they are given, it makes a mockery of all it took for me to hone my skills and do what I do.  Again, I do take it a bit personally but to me, it's as if Hollywood is saying
that any guy can come in and do what I do.  These movies also give ridiculous victories to defense counsel while obliterating all the Rules of Evidence and Rules of Criminal Procedure.  The speeches alone
are often filled with completely inadmissible material that no real attorney would ever want to say in front of a jury.
  I guess I am just too close to the real stuff to suspend my imagination and believe that someone like Tom Cruise can even think with the insight it takes to create novel and winning arguments.  Do I enjoy
watching Jack Nicholson screaming and everyone thus believing he is actually making a legal point and winning an actual argument? No,  I don't.
  When I was studying for my LL.M. in Trial Advocacy we actually analyzed "My Cousin Vinnie" which made some very real points and used some good trial strategy and correct law.  
  Also, I am somewhat of a movie expert and have collected classic movie posters (starting from the early 1900's) for decades so there are so many great movies I love to watch that the courtroom
Harley

Very, very cool. Love it. I've always wanted original King Kong and Metropolis movie posters, but I'm not Bill Gates.    :-\

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1668 on: October 08, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »
Dear Dr. Chimps,
  Those are incredible posters!!!   You have great taste.
  When assholes like Leonardo DiCaprio pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Metropolis poster (I bet he never even saw the movie or any Fritz Lang movie) the
pleasure of collecting for the sake of collecting is greatly diminished. 
  I have sold posters to Kirk Hammond of Metallica.
Harley

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #1669 on: October 08, 2015, 07:39:45 AM »
Dear Princess L,
Harley

Harley,

Thank you for the response.  I was looking more for your thoughts on the portrayal of the corruption within the  justice system in the film.  For instance:

Arthur's defense of the innocent (mistaken identity) guy jailed for a broken taillight then subsequently killed because the judge didn't like Arthur ie:  "frankly I don't give a shit about your client"

Arthur's partner in the DA's office who was supposed to present evidence to get his client released, but F'd that up (guy ended up hanging himself) and his partner claiming "it's all nickel & dime"

The corrupt judge who freely admits his guilt even saying "he'd like to do it again"

Overall, I found it to be an excellent film (top 5), albeit disturbing, with one of Pacino's best performances.
:

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1670 on: October 08, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
I can hardly picture what a crazy scene it was in that desert, with all the freaks living around the wild-west ranch and hiding out in the mountains.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #1671 on: October 08, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
Dear Harley,

As someone who was friends with a small number of low level UK nationally rated competitors nearly 20 years ago, I am shocked and appalled at the rate of attrition that modern day global bodybuilding practitioners currently suffer.  Without prejudice of any of your current relationships, please would you feel able to speak generally on the subject of what you feel may be current practice for modern IFBB professionals in terms of a) blood work and b) ECG work (particularly given the tragic demise of my personal favourites Matarazzo and El Sonbaty.)

Respectful thanks in advance
Taf  :)
T

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1672 on: October 08, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »
Dear The Ugly,
   You've read quite a few of Bugliosi's books.  Are you a fan of his?
   He was quite a character.  I remember sitting at a table with him, Farrah Fawcett and William Shatner and all anyone wanted to talk about was
how Vince would've prosecuted OJ and how I would've defended him.  This was, of course, many years after the trial.
Harley

Yes, I guess so. Like how he cut through all the Manson horseshit, saw him for what he was: a bitter wannabe/failed musician. Actually enjoyed Mark Fuhrman's JFK book the most. Just investigated it like a detective on the case; evidence, piece by piece.

Conclusion: Oswald, alone.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #1673 on: October 08, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »
What's your opinion on Fuhrman and how he played into the OJ case, Harley?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1674 on: October 09, 2015, 03:22:53 AM »
What's your opinion on Fuhrman and how he played into the OJ case, Harley?

I use to train and work at the same gym as Fuhrman and saw him almost daily. We had a lot of intense discussions. He was always encouraging me to join the LAPD. 

I was shocked when I saw Mark on TV during the trial. I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot at the Hughes Aircraft parking facility in El Segundo listening to the O.J. chase on the radio as it was happening.