Author Topic: How many here can shoulder press over 225 Naturally?  (Read 47004 times)

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
Re: How many here can shoulder press over 225 Naturally?
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2006, 12:42:58 PM »
i have a bad shoulder as well and it hurts like a mother after shoulder or chest workout, im pretty sure i need surgery however i put it off becaus ei dont have medical at the moment, instead i do rotator cuff exercises before both chest and shoulders and i try to stick with a weight i can hit atleat 3-4 times, however when feeling good i like to max out on bench every now and then

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2006, 12:55:48 PM »
i have a bad shoulder as well and it hurts like a mother after shoulder or chest workout, im pretty sure i need surgery however i put it off becaus ei dont have medical at the moment, instead i do rotator cuff exercises before both chest and shoulders and i try to stick with a weight i can hit atleat 3-4 times, however when feeling good i like to max out on bench every now and then

O.k. A TINY bit of advice.

If you have an injured shoulder.
#1 - going to a 3-4 rep range on pressing movements is not smart.  Stick to 8-15 and a more moderate weight.
perhaps your joint will heal itself if you stop messing with it.

#2 - no maxing out.... unless you are 17 and in high school.
Then... Max away.

#3 - QUIT FLAT BENCHING.  There are alternatives.  Heavy incline, heavy low incline dbell flies (not presses).

Flat bench is not the only way to build chest mass...
OSC

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:14 PM »
what would you reccomend for a good chest routine?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
what would you reccomend for a good chest routine?

Bench
just push some weight!

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2006, 04:44:33 PM »
i agree alex, but they seem to think that flat bench is damaging, i however feel it is a very important and all around main movement for chest, followed by inclines

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2006, 04:49:54 PM »
i agree alex, but they seem to think that flat bench is damaging, i however feel it is a very important and all around main movement for chest, followed by inclines

You cares what they think! Fact is the best chest's of all time have all been built by the bench press. Arnold, Sergio, Serge, Haney, Samir, Ferrigno and now Johnnie Jackson!
just push some weight!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2006, 05:25:11 PM »
If you bench heavy you will eventually not be able to bench any more because it will be too painful. This applies to over 90% of bodybuilders. If you can do over 400 strict then it is guaranteed you will damage something in the shoulder insertions.

I used to do Olympic lifting when they had 3 lifts. I did 255 as a 198 pounder clean. When I tried 2 Dianabol a day for 6 weeks I could clean and press 225 for 6 reps and did a 270 easy as anything. For some reason I never tried anything heavier. The next best press at my gym was 230 pounds.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2006, 05:28:44 PM »
If you bench heavy you will eventually not be able to bench any more because it will be too painful. This applies to over 90% of bodybuilders. If you can do over 400 strict then it is guaranteed you will damage something in the shoulder insertions.

I used to do Olympic lifting when they had 3 lifts. I did 255 as a 198 pounder clean. When I tried 2 Dianabol a day for 6 weeks I could clean and press 225 for 6 reps and did a 270 easy as anything. For some reason I never tried anything heavier. The next best press at my gym was 230 pounds.

Thats not very sound. As a matter of fact that is damnright stupid! Only fools tear their chests. The same people that don't know how to lift properly! Bertil Fox did 500 pounds x 5 without conventional warm up. Onlyme only warms up on the first exercise!
just push some weight!

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2006, 05:54:37 PM »
im 195 20 years old all natural and i can clean and press 225 for 3-4 reps, but my bench sucks

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »

ahhh don't you just miss highschool

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2006, 06:19:40 PM »

You experienced an improvement like that in 6 days? Or did I misread something here?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
I was on the UBC weightlifting team and got my Big Block sweater for weightlifting. That was in 1965. Only the guys lifting for Canada were using gear. The rest of us were two scared of getting cancer.  I did the 270 press in 1975 when weighing about 220. I could bench 410 strict and did 8 deep reps with 410 pounds in the squat. I used two bottles of Dianabol 2 pills/day and my strength leaped up. Very few guys could clean that 225 but I toyed with it and did it cold any time. 5 or 6 reps no worries.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2006, 07:28:03 PM »
You don't really tear anything in the shoulder. What happens is that after 20 or more years of heavy benching your insertions get sore and then you can't bench any more. It has happened to heaps of guys. Most of you guys are too young to experience that. I would recommend doing other exercises and not the bench press. Who here is going to listen to that advice?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2006, 08:24:21 PM »

I have only benched heavy and I do not warm up. You can ask anyone I have ever trained with.  When I bench I grab a 35 lb weight and bend over a little and do circles to loosen my shoulders.  I do one arm at a time. Now cause I am weaker my first set is 225.  I do that one set then go to 315.  My first set I may do 10 to 15 reps depending on how I feel.  Then after that I don't do more than 6 to 8 reps.  I have never had shoulder problems.  I may get a little tight but no injuries whatsoever.  I think depending on how you lift will dictate your injuries.  I mean you can't all of a sudden start lifting heavy and expect not to get hurt.  I am pretty sure gymnastics and doing allot of negatives has helped me avoid major injuries.  I have alwasy been very limber for my size.  I still haven't seen anyone at 300 lbs. put their leg behind their head.  I used to do it in the movies while I was sitting watching the movie.  One leg at a time though.  It all depends on how youlift and how long.  Negatives will help with everything.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
I have only benched heavy and I do not warm up. You can ask anyone I have ever trained with.  When I bench I grab a 35 lb weight and bend over a little and do circles to loosen my shoulders.  I do one arm at a time. Now cause I am weaker my first set is 225.  I do that one set then go to 315.  My first set I may do 10 to 15 reps depending on how I feel.  Then after that I don't do more than 6 to 8 reps.  I have never had shoulder problems.  I may get a little tight but no injuries whatsoever.  I think depending on how you lift will dictate your injuries.  I mean you can't all of a sudden start lifting heavy and expect not to get hurt.  I am pretty sure gymnastics and doing allot of negatives has helped me avoid major injuries.  I have alwasy been very limber for my size.  I still haven't seen anyone at 300 lbs. put their leg behind their head.  I used to do it in the movies while I was sitting watching the movie.  One leg at a time though.  It all depends on how youlift and how long.  Negatives will help with everything.

Benching for strength and development are two different things.  When Paula Suzuki gave me some tips to bench for strength, I couldn't master the movement (bringing the bar to the upper part of my stomach below your sternum, extreme back arch and elbows in with a narrower than shoulder width grip).  Bodybuilding benching like advocated by Serge Nubret wrecks your shoulder girdle.  BTW, Paula would kick most everyones ass in bench. 

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2006, 08:28:18 PM »
you're right. guys just use that as an excuse for having a weak bench.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2006, 08:34:26 PM »
flat barbell bench focks my elbows up with tendinitis so I don't do it often.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2006, 08:35:48 PM »
flat barbell bench focks my elbows up with tendinitis so I don't do it often.
yes but you still have a sexy chest!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2006, 11:23:29 PM »
Benching for strength and development are two different things.  When Paula Suzuki gave me some tips to bench for strength, I couldn't master the movement (bringing the bar to the upper part of my stomach below your sternum, extreme back arch and elbows in with a narrower than shoulder width grip).  Bodybuilding benching like advocated by Serge Nubret wrecks your shoulder girdle.  BTW, Paula would kick most everyones ass in bench. 

Yes and no.  I have never heard of lowering the bar that low.  I have never gone below my nipple and my bench seemed okay.  People have shoulder problems when they use too much wieght and too much and not enough shoulder work and upper back work.  When you bench people look at the up stride and don't realize the down stroke is as important to control the weight which means your shoulders and upper back have to be just as strong to hold and control the weight down.  That is why people get shoulder problems.  I have never had any.  ANd 315 might not be that much now but back then it was my warmup and I was fine.  And my chest looked fine (I thought, along with most others) for a guy who benches heavy and weighs 300 pounds.

And sorry for this pic all the time but it really is about the only one I gotwith a shirt off.  Most pics were all lost or misplaced and I really didn't get my pic taken that much from myself

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »
Yes and no.  I have never heard of lowering the bar that low.  I have never gone below my nipple and my bench seemed okay.  People have shoulder problems when they use too much wieght and too much and not enough shoulder work and upper back work.  When you bench people look at the up stride and don't realize the down stroke is as important to control the weight which means your shoulders and upper back have to be just as strong to hold and control the weight down.  That is why people get shoulder problems.  I have never had any.  ANd 315 might not be that much now but back then it was my warmup and I was fine.  And my chest looked fine (I thought, along with most others) for a guy who benches heavy and weighs 300 pounds.

And sorry for this pic all the time but it really is about the only one I gotwith a shirt off.  Most pics were all lost or misplaced and I really didn't get my pic taken that much from myself
Dam so are you saying you weighed close to 300lbs in that pic - that's solid as hell (brick shithouse type solid) are you tall?
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2006, 02:11:15 AM »
Lets hear it from you real bodybuilders!

Standing or sitting, front or back?
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2006, 02:13:22 AM »

how long did your gains stay with you after you stopped the dbol and how did you feel mentally?
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2006, 02:13:25 AM »
Dam so are you saying you weighed close to 300lbs in that pic - that's solid as hell (brick shithouse type solid) are you tall?

I actually weighed 299+ a few ounces.  I am 6'1". 

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2006, 02:19:47 AM »
I actually weighed 299+ a few ounces.  I am 6'1". 
How many wide and close grip pull-ups could you do? I guess you could do dips all day long so I won't even bother to ask.
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2006, 06:55:36 AM »

You look samoan. Ever think of trying to look like a bodybuilder?
just push some weight!