Author Topic: The Y board lifting thread  (Read 2025729 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: The Y board lifting thread.
« Reply #6150 on: April 29, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »

When's the next event?

June Spartan Race - 4 miles - but i think im gonna be the anchor guy since a lot of fatties are going to need help on my team. 

But back to working out - tossing a few minutes of the rowing machine in the middle of shit really added some verve to everything! 

Im down to 195 and feel like a BEAST.  Abs are visible, cardio is off the hook, im not losing muscle, and my functional fitness is still improving. 

Feeling like a machine ready for anything.   

The GoRuck event in september is really the granddaddy of them all. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6151 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »
Floor db press would be safer to start .

Thanks, man.  I will start with this.
Y

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #6152 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »
Calvin don't lift anymore he probably joined a bowling league with Gene.

Front Squat
Miltary
Laterals
Barbell Curls.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6153 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
HIT cardio 6.2 / 7.2 / 8.2 / 9.2 mph 4 cycles of 1 min each, finish with 10.2 1 min sprint, 1 degree incline.  4 - 11.2 mph 20 sec sprints, 10 sec rest.

Monkey bar circuit, hurt a bit so cut short.

DB FLOOR PRESS - 15, yes 15 lb DB,  2 x 15

I want to ad 5 lbs every other day until I get to 100lb DB, then will start pressing again on bench.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6154 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
HIT cardio 6.2 / 7.2 / 8.2 / 9.2 mph 4 cycles of 1 min each, finish with 10.2 1 min sprint, 1 degree incline.  4 - 11.2 mph 20 sec sprints, 10 sec rest.

Monkey bar circuit, hurt a bit so cut short.

DB FLOOR PRESS - 15, yes 15 lb DB,  2 x 15

I want to ad 5 lbs every other day until I get to 100lb DB, then will start pressing again on bench.

HIIT works ! 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6155 on: April 30, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
HIIT works ! 

Hell yes.   Tabata is nasty too.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6156 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
Hell yes.   Tabata is nasty too.

i was discussing w monte the need to train for your body type more than anything as you get older which i have learned. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6157 on: April 30, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
i was discussing w monte the need to train for your body type more than anything as you get older which i have learned. 

Yes; no single best way. Goals and individual response to specific training types are major factors that MUST be considered.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6158 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »

Yes; no single best way. Goals and individual response to specific training types are major factors that MUST be considered.
HIT is the way to go if you have fast twitch fibers ie power and strength. Slow twitch is endurance related I never had endurance so always trained HIT.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6159 on: April 30, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
For me - keeping the fat off is always a struggle.  I gain muscle and strentgh easy - but getting lean is like a rubix cube half the time. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6160 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
For me - keeping the fat off is always a struggle.  I gain muscle and strentgh easy - but getting lean is like a rubix cube half the time. 
Multiply your weight by 15 then subtract 300, a slow weight loss procedure and won't lose muscle size. Drop too fast then loss occurs.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6161 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
Multiply your weight by 15 then subtract 300, a slow weight loss procedure and won't lose muscle size. Drop too fast then loss occurs.

Im good this year TBH - lost about a lb a week since last year.   Down 40lbs so far

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6162 on: April 30, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »
Anyone ever use the original PHA system, partly created  by Bob Gajda, with regards to endurance plus strength training (stamina)? Kind of like circuit training gone wild.  Sergio Oliva wa said to use it , from time to time.

Always wonder what Oliva's brother look like, back in Cuba. I read that Oliva said his brother was much bigger and stronger than him. Just never had the opportunity to get out of Cuba.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6163 on: April 30, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
Anyone ever use the original PHA system, partly created  by Bob Gajda, with regards to endurance plus strength training (stamina)? Kind of like circuit training gone wild.  Sergio Oliva wa said to use it , from time to time.

Always wonder what Oliva's brother look like, back in Cuba. I read that Oliva said his brother was much bigger and stronger than him. Just never had the opportunity to get out of Cuba.

Never tried, but will definitely google and see what it's all about.  Thanks.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6164 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
Never tried, but will definitely google and see what it's all about.  Thanks.

One workout i have gotten to really like are the track workouts

Usually something like this -

800 meters warm up

Then do the following for 1 1/2 - 2 miles  - 10 burpees 10 pushups 10 situps - run 1/4 mile   - repeat 6-8 times

Followed by

sprints

bear crawls

frog hops

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6165 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »

Yeah.  I signed up for the Tough Mudder for the sole reason that it would force me to run, which I hate, but needed to do.

I'll never be big.  If I can bench around 3 bills, box squat 4, and be able to run 5-8 miles easy, that's enough for me to rule the suburban dad circuit.   I'll be adding more reps and going heavy less frequently.  Not abandoning it, but this is for the long haul.

I would like to do a dumbell snatch with 100 lbs, but that might be a pipe dream after surgery.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6166 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
Yeah.  I signed up for the Tough Mudder for the sole reason that it would force me to run, which I hate, but needed to do.

I'll never be big.  If I can bench around 3 bills, box squat 4, and be able to run 5-8 miles easy, that's enough for me to rule the suburban dad circuit.   I'll be adding more reps and going heavy less frequently.  Not abandoning it, but this is for the long haul.

I would like to do a dumbell snatch with 100 lbs, but that might be a pipe dream after surgery.

Functional fitness is way more important as you get older.

BTW - not to scare you - but 2 people died at the last TM.   One guy drowned on the leap of faith after getting knocked out by someone who jumped on top of him by accident

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6167 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
Functional fitness is way more important as you get older.

BTW - not to scare you - but 2 people died at the last TM.   One guy drowned on the leap of faith after getting knocked out by someone who jumped on top of him by accident

Shit that sucks.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6168 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:38 AM »
Shit that sucks.

Who are you doing it with? 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6169 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »
HIT is the way to go if you have fast twitch fibers ie power and strength. Slow twitch is endurance related I never had endurance so always trained HIT.

Some sources I've seen claim that most people have a pretty even ratio of Type I: Type II in each muscle group, but mention that some folks have a dominant fiber type throughout part or all of their bodies.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6170 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »

I db snatched the 130 before. I need to practice that one some more.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6171 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »

Some sources I've seen claim that most people have a pretty even ratio of Type I: Type II in each muscle group, but mention that some folks have a dominant fiber type throughout part or all of their bodies.
This is true, a combination is best rather predominant one or the other. But example I'm 6'2" played basketball in high school they put me at Center because I could jump and block guys shots at like 6'8". I wish I had more slow twitch but you are correct in your statement. I am strickly fast twitch meaning no endurance. You and 333386 seem to have a mix of both.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6172 on: April 30, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
I db snatched the 130 before. I need to practice that one some more.

That's pretty awesome.  Before I got hurt, I could start the lift with 50s and work up to about 85 in about 3 weeks doing it twice a week.   Hit 90 on the left and failed on the right, and stopped.  Usually do sets of 2-3.

Once I'm healed, I think if I actually took the time to research the correct way to train for it, I might take a shot at 100.  That would be good for 175lbs.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6173 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
Who are you doing it with? 

Guy and girl from work and his brother.  You are welcome to join if you want, but these guys aren't going for time, just completion and subsequent booze.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6174 on: April 30, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
That's pretty awesome.  Before I got hurt, I could start the lift with 50s and work up to about 85 in about 3 weeks doing it twice a week.   Hit 90 on the left and failed on the right, and stopped.  Usually do sets of 2-3.

Once I'm healed, I think if I actually took the time to research the correct way to train for it, I might take a shot at 100.  That would be good for 175lbs.

For TM - make sure you get a hydration pack, mechanix gloves, etc.