Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 988180 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #1175 on: May 29, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/05/28/police-shoot-kill-grandfather-while-responding-to-burglary-call

They didnt give the guy a chance to put down the weapon?   hhhmmmmmmm

This one seems more like incompetence

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1176 on: May 29, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
Man Dies After Police Tase Him; Family Puzzled
 http://dfw.cbslocal.com ^ | 05/29/2013 | Reporting Joel Thomas

Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:25:51 PM by redreno

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - Relatives of a man who was killed after police entered his home and tased him are struggling to come to terms with how he died.

“They physically pulled him off the couch because, like I said, he was asleep. They pulled him off the couch and they tried to put him on his stomach. He can’t breathe on his stomach. He don’t even lie on the bed on his stomach,” said Donna Randle, the mother of victim Jarmaine Darden, 34.

Zero tolerance officers were executing a search warrant at his southeast Fort Worth house on May 16, searching for cocaine, when according to police reports the incident happened. The same report states that Darden resisted arrest.

(Excerpt) Read more at dfw.cbslocal.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1177 on: May 30, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
Why Did the FBI Kill an Unarmed Man and Clam Up?

Law enforcement can't get its story straight in the worrisome case of Ibragim Todashev.

Conor FriedersdorfMay 30 2013, 10:44 AM ET

inShare.

More

Reuters

What led an FBI agent, or some other law enforcement official, to shoot and kill an unarmed man in Orlando, Florida? The man, Ibragim Todashev, was being questioned about the Boston bombing, as well as an unsolved 2011 triple murder that he may or may not have confessed to committing. Does that sound sketchy? Don't blame me. Once he died, law enforcement started releasing anonymous, conflicting explanations so dubious that they warrant an inquiry all by themselves.

Did the dead man have a knife? A gun? A sword? None of those? Let's run through a timeline of what we've been told, and then assess all the information that the FBI hasn't released about the killing.

May 22, 2013

Ibragim Todashev is shot in the early morning hours. At least three law enforcement personnel, including at least one FBI agent, were reportedly present. Later that day, The New York Times quotes "officials" from either the Massachusetts State Police or the FBI. They say that after two hours of questioning in his apartment, Todashev "exploded and leapt at" an FBI agent. A second "law enforcement official" told the Times that "the shooting occurred after Mr. Todashev had admitted his role in the killings" -- the 2011 triple murder -- "and had also implicated Mr. Tsarnaev. The official said he had begun writing out a statement when he asked to take a break."

The quote from the second official:

They got him to confess to the homicides, and they say, 'Let's write it down,' and he starts writing it down. He goes to get a cigarette or something and then he goes off the deep end. I don't know what triggered him, and he goes after the agent.

The same day, the Orlando Sentinel reports, "Federal officials said he lunged at the agent with a knife during questioning, and the agent opened fire."

The Associated Press also reported that "law enforcement officials say a man was shot while he was being questioned in the Boston Marathon bombing case after he lunged at an FBI agent with a knife," adding, "The FBI initially said the agent fired the fatal shot, but later in the day the bureau left open the question of who was responsible." And Dave Couvertier, "a special agent and spokesman for the FBI's Tampa field office," told Yahoo News that an FBI team would be dispatched from D.C. to investigate the shooting, and that the FBI agent "sustained non-life-threatening injuries."

The FBI also put out a statement on May 22:

The FBI is currently reviewing a shooting incident involving an FBI special agent. Based on preliminary information, the incident occurred in Orlando, Florida during the early morning hours of May 22, 2013. The agent, two Massachusetts State Police troopers, and other law enforcement personnel were interviewing an individual in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing investigation when a violent confrontation was initiated by the individual. During the confrontation, the individual was killed and the agent sustained non-life threatening injuries. As this incident is under review, we have no further details at this time.

A friend of the dead man, Khusen Taramov, told a TV station, "They were talking to us, both of us, right? And they said they need him for a little more, for a couple more hours, and I left, and they told me they're going to bring him back. They never brought him back."

That brings us to the last story of that day, time-stamped after 8pm by the Associated Press, which reported: "Three law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Todashev had lunged at the FBI agent with a knife. However, two of those officials said later in the day it was no longer clear what had happened. The third official had not received any new information."

May 23

The Orlando Sentinel reports that "an FBI review team from Washington was in Orlando on Thursday investigating the death of Ibragim Todashev," and that they'd be questioning "witnesses who were at the Orlando condo when the shooting occurred early Wednesday morning, including two Massachusetts State Police troopers and other law-enforcement officials."

The story ads that "the FBI agent who fired the lethal shot, who has not been publicly identified, is from the agency's Boston division," and "an autopsy was expected to be completed Thursday, but the report will not be made public for several weeks -- if not months -- because the case is under criminal investigation." The FBI team investigating the killing is reported to be 13 agents strong. 

May 24

The dead man's father, Abdul-Baki Todashev, speaks from Chechnya:

My son was in full cooperation with the F.B.I. but they just murdered him after an almost 8-hour-long questioning. Before this trouble I thought America was a free democratic country, where unlike in Russia, laws worked. I was deeply mistaken--now I think Russia is a golden place compared to the United States. My attitude for America flipped 180 degrees in one minute.

May 25

Citing "officials briefed on the investigation," The Boston Globe reports that the dead man "was shot in the kitchen of his apartment after overturning a table and attacking the agent with a blade," adding, "two law enforcement officials said that the Boston FBI agent felt he was in grave danger when Todashev attacked him and that he fired in self-defense." The "regional medical examiner" who had the body wouldn't reveal how many times Todashev was shot, saying "we can't release any information on that case." That same friend, Khusen Taramov, is quoted saying that the dead man had a serious knee injury and that "agents had kept tight control over him at prior interviews."

May 29

Remember that knife? Forget about it. "FBI sources say Ibragim Todashev, a friend of accused Boston Marathon bomber Tamarlen Tsarnaev, was unarmed when he was shot and killed by an FBI agent during questioning at an Orlando apartment last week," says an Orlando television station.

The story goes on:

Officials said Todashev pushed a table and possibly threw a chair.

Sources said a sword was inside the apartment, but the weapon was moved to the corner of the room before questioning began. Law enforcement said when Todashev lunged, the FBI agent believed he could have possibly been going for his gun or the sword in the room, and that's when the agent opened fire.

ABC News has a similar account:

Ibragim Todashev, an Orlando, Fla., associate of one of the Boston bombing suspects, was not armed when he was involved an alleged violent confrontation with an FBI agent that resulted in Todashev being shot to death in his apartment, law enforcement sources told ABC News...Officials initially told ABC News and other news outlets that a knife was involved in the confrontation... A samurai sword was in the room, which may have accounted for some of the initial confusion over whether a weapon was involved, sources added.

The Washington Post added a detail:

One law enforcement official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation, said Wednesday that Todashev lunged at the agent and overturned a table. But the official said Todashev did not have a gun or a knife. A second official also said Todashev was unarmed.

An official said that according to one account of the shooting, the other law enforcement officials had just stepped out of the room, leaving the FBI agent alone with Todashev, when the confrontation occurred.The shooting followed hours of questioning by the law enforcement officials that had begun the night before.
May 30

The Orlando Sentinel is one of several outlets to note that a Florida chapter of CAIR is calling for the Civil Rights division of the Justice Department to investigate the shooting. CAIR-Tampa Executive Director Hassan Shibly says the dead man was hit by bullets seven times, including once in the head.

The article continues:

Though early accounts from unnamed federal law-enforcement sources claimed Todashev might have been armed with a knife, the latest version, released by a Fox affiliate in Boston, reported that Todashev lunged with a sword at the agent.

Shibly said there was a sword at the apartment, but it was mounted on the wall, ornamental and had a dull blade and a broken handle.
Tentative Conclusions

It is difficult to understand how, having shot the man dead, the multiple law enforcement personnel on scene could've gotten the details wrong. Discrepancies can creep into an account of a stressful situation. But how can there possibly be confusion about whether the suspect was a) wielding a knife, per the original story; b) unarmed, per subsequent versions; c) or lunging with or toward a samurai sword? We're supposed to believe that multiple law enforcement personnel went to a man's apartment, confirmed via his own confession that he participated in a triple murder with an alleged terrorist, and still left him within reach of a samurai sword? And that, after he lunged toward one agent with the sword, or else lunged toward the sword, or an officer's gun, or something, there was so much confusion that it was reported for days that the suspect attacked with a knife? Come on. Law enforcement couldn't get its story straight.     

At best, an incompetently handled suspect was given access to a weapon so dangerous it justified using deadly force in response. Perhaps that's all this is. Or perhaps it will turn out that Todashev was wrongfully killed. The facts known to the public are worrisome enough that an independent inquiry is justified. In addition, this case illustrates why the FBI ought to be required to record all of its interrogations, using video when possible and at least audio in all circumstances.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1179 on: May 31, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/free-movie-gets-austin-cop-fired-8946.shtml

Yesterday a local cop was fired for lying. It involved getting free tickets for him and his family at a theater.. You have to be on the security contract to get the free tickets and he indicated he was. The contract holder found out about it and reported him to I.A. It was his word against two theater employees. The department took the word of the two employees because it made more sense. An example of holding officers accountable.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1180 on: May 31, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/free-movie-gets-austin-cop-fired-8946.shtml

Yesterday a local cop was fired for lying. It involved getting free tickets for him and his family at a theater.. You have to be on the security contract to get the free tickets and he indicated he was. The contract holder found out about it and reported him to I.A. It was his word against two theater employees. The department took the word of the two employees because it made more sense. An example of holding officers accountable.

Damn - I hope those movies were worth it!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1181 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
Damn - I hope those movies were worth it!

Yeah... stupid thing to lose a job over.. if at any time he had come clean he would have gotten suspended.. but not fired.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1183 on: May 31, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
US Attorney: Anti-Muslim Postings on Social Media May Be a Federal Crime
Ace Of Spades ^  | May 31, 2013 | Ace Of Spades

Posted on Friday, May 31, 2013 12:15:06 PM by Smokeyblue

Via Judicial Watch, Bill Killian, the US Attorney for the Eastern district of Tennessee, just wants Americans to know what the consequences for free speech might be.

Special speakers for the event will be Bill Killian, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and Kenneth Moore, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Knoxville Division.

Sponsor of the event is the American Muslim Advisory Council of Tennessee — a 15-member board formed two years ago when the General Assembly was considering passing legislation that would restrict those who worship Sharia Law, which is followed by Muslims.

Killian and Moore will provide input on how civil rights can be violated by those who post inflammatory documents targeted at Muslims on social media.

“This is an educational effort with civil rights laws as they play into freedom of religion and exercising freedom of religion,” Killian told The News Monday. “This is also to inform the public what federal laws are in effect and what the consequences are.”

Killian said the presentation will also focus on Muslim culture and how, that although terrorist acts have been committed by some in the faith, they are no different from those in other religions.

He then cited the three non-Muslim terrorists acts they can never stop talking about.

Apparently he also babbled about how the US Government, law enforcement, and non-Muslim Americans are fostering an "us versus them" attitude.

See, we're doing that.

I might say that the "us versus them" attitude certainly seems to be fostered within the Muslim community itself, but I can't, because, as you'll see, US Attorney Bill Killian wants me to know he might put me in jail for saying that.

Killian said Internet postings that violate civil rights are subject to federal jurisdiction.

“That’s what everybody needs to understand,” he said.

The specific posting he mentioned was pretty egregious -- a picture of a guy holding a shotgun with the caption "How to Wink at a Muslim."

Nevertheless, what we have here is a US Attorney telling Americans that they can be arrested and imprisoned for the exercise of their First Amendment rights.

In the aftermath of the Woolrich slaughter in England, the British police immediately arrested... a man for making anti-Muslim comments on Twitter.

And I thought, "Ah well, that's Britain. They're doomed, but we already knew that."

But here we are in America, with one of the 100 or so US federal appointed Attorneys telling Americans that the federal government may lock them up for their internet postings.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #1184 on: May 31, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
US Attorney: Anti-Muslim Postings on Social Media May Be a Federal Crime
Ace Of Spades ^  | May 31, 2013 | Ace Of Spades

Posted on Friday, May 31, 2013 12:15:06 PM by Smokeyblue

Via Judicial Watch, Bill Killian, the US Attorney for the Eastern district of Tennessee, just wants Americans to know what the consequences for free speech might be.

Special speakers for the event will be Bill Killian, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and Kenneth Moore, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Knoxville Division.

Sponsor of the event is the American Muslim Advisory Council of Tennessee — a 15-member board formed two years ago when the General Assembly was considering passing legislation that would restrict those who worship Sharia Law, which is followed by Muslims.

Killian and Moore will provide input on how civil rights can be violated by those who post inflammatory documents targeted at Muslims on social media.

“This is an educational effort with civil rights laws as they play into freedom of religion and exercising freedom of religion,” Killian told The News Monday. “This is also to inform the public what federal laws are in effect and what the consequences are.”

Killian said the presentation will also focus on Muslim culture and how, that although terrorist acts have been committed by some in the faith, they are no different from those in other religions.

He then cited the three non-Muslim terrorists acts they can never stop talking about.

Apparently he also babbled about how the US Government, law enforcement, and non-Muslim Americans are fostering an "us versus them" attitude.

See, we're doing that.

I might say that the "us versus them" attitude certainly seems to be fostered within the Muslim community itself, but I can't, because, as you'll see, US Attorney Bill Killian wants me to know he might put me in jail for saying that.

Killian said Internet postings that violate civil rights are subject to federal jurisdiction.

“That’s what everybody needs to understand,” he said.

The specific posting he mentioned was pretty egregious -- a picture of a guy holding a shotgun with the caption "How to Wink at a Muslim."

Nevertheless, what we have here is a US Attorney telling Americans that they can be arrested and imprisoned for the exercise of their First Amendment rights.

In the aftermath of the Woolrich slaughter in England, the British police immediately arrested... a man for making anti-Muslim comments on Twitter.

And I thought, "Ah well, that's Britain. They're doomed, but we already knew that."

But here we are in America, with one of the 100 or so US federal appointed Attorneys telling Americans that the federal government may lock them up for their internet postings.

still following alex jones ?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #1185 on: May 31, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/05/30/military-vet-faces-charges-for-firing-warning-shot-at-suspect-trying-to-break-into-home

>:(
Dude. Wtf. Well, he wasn't trying to break into your house hard enough to justify defending your property, aorry, time to make you a criminal.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1186 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
http://www.humanevents.com/2013/05/30/empire-state-da-i-will-not-prosecute-cuomos-new-gun-law

Nice - the DA is telling Cuomo to fuck off w his new SAFE Act. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1187 on: May 31, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »

It seems to say both Fired and indefinitely suspended.  Me thinks he may not have completely lost the job yet.  Let me take a guess, appeals?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1188 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »

It seems to say both Fired and indefinitely suspended.  Me thinks he may not have completely lost the job yet.  Let me take a guess, appeals?

Every officer that is "fired" has the right to appeal under civil service law. It is then up to an arbitrator to decide. In this case, I would be surprised if the officer overturns the ruling, but I understand the reason for the process.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1189 on: June 01, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »

The problem is that is the rare example - the exception to the rule.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1190 on: June 02, 2013, 05:34:18 AM »
The problem is that is the rare example - the exception to the rule.

I can only speak for the place I work at but we try to get rid of them when we find them. That same day an officer was fired for being caught with a prostitute and lying about it.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1191 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
I can only speak for the place I work at but we try to get rid of them when we find them. That same day an officer was fired for being caught with a prostitute and lying about it.   

I hate that.  I think these prostitution laws are completely unconstitutional.  Actually feel bad for that dude.

As for the other guy, I'll believe he's not going to be reinstated when it actually happens.  Until then, I think it's fair to be skeptical.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1192 on: June 02, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »

I hate that.  I think these prostitution laws are completely unconstitutional.  Actually feel bad for that dude.

As for the other guy, I'll believe he's not going to be reinstated when it actually happens.  Until then, I think it's fair to be skeptical.

True, the officer was fired for not being truthful about saying he was on the contract.. he shook his head in the affirmative indicating that was his answer to the question "Do you work here".. He says he stated "Yes I work at the Austin Police Department". His answer doesn't make sense when taken in context so the 2 workers were believed over the officer. An arbitrator could rule that terminating the officer for such a thing is excessive but that is the arbitrators call. Our stance is honesty is paramount to being an officer.

The prostitute thing.. I agree that it is an outdated law. However it is a law and he was also fired because he lied. He lied about the situation, he later lied saying the officers planted the $10 bill he had stuck in the A/C vent to pay her with...The prostitute on the other hand said they have ""dated" before and he pays $10 for a BJ.  I don't feel sorry for the officer at all.     

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1193 on: June 02, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
True, the officer was fired for not being truthful about saying he was on the contract.. he shook his head in the affirmative indicating that was his answer to the question "Do you work here".. He says he stated "Yes I work at the Austin Police Department". His answer doesn't make sense when taken in context so the 2 workers were believed over the officer. An arbitrator could rule that terminating the officer for such a thing is excessive but that is the arbitrators call. Our stance is honesty is paramount to being an officer.

The prostitute thing.. I agree that it is an outdated law. However it is a law and he was also fired because he lied. He lied about the situation, he later lied saying the officers planted the $10 bill he had stuck in the A/C vent to pay her with...The prostitute on the other hand said they have ""dated" before and he pays $10 for a BJ.  I don't feel sorry for the officer at all.     

That's all a blowjob costs?

Wait though...what did the skank look like?

lol

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1194 on: June 03, 2013, 05:34:17 AM »

That's all a blowjob costs?

Wait though...what did the skank look like?

lol

Think of the most run down, meth addicted, 88 lb female, with missing teeth, long stringly unwashed hair and sores over her body and you pretty much just described her prettier sister. I haven't seen a pic of her but based on the location and the price, that's pretty much what you get her in Austin.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1195 on: June 03, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
I can only speak for the place I work at but we try to get rid of them when we find them.

Of course. I understand that. But let me ask you think about the following three questions:

1. If you pulled a fellow officer (or his/her spouse) over, would you be more or less likely to let them get off without a ticket?
2. If you were called for a disturbance at a bar or other fine establishment, and upon arriving saw a friend from the force was involved in the incident, would you be more inclined to believe that he was in the right and view the other party with suspicion?
3. Do you view other officers as proverbial "brothers in arms"?

Without answering those questions, but considering your answers, do you consider yourself completely objective?

Saying "no" isn't necessarily bad; we are all more likely to side with or help people we know. But it should give you pause for a second. If you, who are a decent officer, are biased even slightly what about others who aren't as decent as you?

That same day an officer was fired for being caught with a prostitute and lying about it.   

Prostitution laws are silly...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1196 on: June 04, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
Of course. I understand that. But let me ask you think about the following three questions:

1. If you pulled a fellow officer (or his/her spouse) over, would you be more or less likely to let them get off without a ticket?
2. If you were called for a disturbance at a bar or other fine establishment, and upon arriving saw a friend from the force was involved in the incident, would you be more inclined to believe that he was in the right and view the other party with suspicion?
3. Do you view other officers as proverbial "brothers in arms"?

Without answering those questions, but considering your answers, do you consider yourself completely objective?

Saying "no" isn't necessarily bad; we are all more likely to side with or help people we know. But it should give you pause for a second. If you, who are a decent officer, are biased even slightly what about others who aren't as decent as you?

Prostitution laws are silly...

1. Equal. From years of working traffic I have a standard that is department policy. When I stop someone, I've made up my mind prior to approaching the vehicle that they will get a warning or a ticket. I rarely give warnings as if I need to stop someone it is likely they have done an unsafe violation. I cannot be fair if I write X a ticket for 80 in a 50 and let Y go moments later. I've written fellow officers tickets in the past. Can't say they were happy, but that's irrelevant. They can't say I wasn't fair. My wife got a ticket and I didn't say anything other than "You probably need to slow down next time" to her.

Having said that, no doubt there are officers everywhere that give officers all kinds of breaks. It was the culture here for a long time.. those days went the way of the 8 track around here.

2. Just an officer, I would listen to both sides, as officers screw up. A friend officer, who had a history with me of being honest and forthright, would likely get more weight than a stranger if the stories didn't match and the evidence didn't point either way. Just fired an officer who said something happened one way, and the civilian said it happened another. Their story made more sense, they were believed. He was fired.

3. I don't have an us against them attitude, and I know cops screw up. But yes, I feel we are "brothers in Arms" depending on how you define that..     

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1197 on: June 04, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
1. Equal. From years of working traffic I have a standard that is department policy. When I stop someone, I've made up my mind prior to approaching the vehicle that they will get a warning or a ticket. I rarely give warnings as if I need to stop someone it is likely they have done an unsafe violation. I cannot be fair if I write X a ticket for 80 in a 50 and let Y go moments later. I've written fellow officers tickets in the past. Can't say they were happy, but that's irrelevant. They can't say I wasn't fair. My wife got a ticket and I didn't say anything other than "You probably need to slow down next time" to her.

Having said that, no doubt there are officers everywhere that give officers all kinds of breaks. It was the culture here for a long time.. those days went the way of the 8 track around here.

2. Just an officer, I would listen to both sides, as officers screw up. A friend officer, who had a history with me of being honest and forthright, would likely get more weight than a stranger if the stories didn't match and the evidence didn't point either way. Just fired an officer who said something happened one way, and the civilian said it happened another. Their story made more sense, they were believed. He was fired.

3. I don't have an us against them attitude, and I know cops screw up. But yes, I feel we are "brothers in Arms" depending on how you define that..     

Fair answer. I have no reason to doubt you, and will take you at your word. You are, I hope you realize, very likely to be in the minority - or at least that's how you are likely to be perceived by most people.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1198 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »
Fair answer. I have no reason to doubt you, and will take you at your word. You are, I hope you realize, very likely to be in the minority - or at least that's how you are likely to be perceived by most people.

That would be a shame..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1199 on: June 06, 2013, 06:19:49 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administration-defends-phone-records-113329195.html

In its first semi-official comment from the White House about The Guardian's Verizon/NSA phone-snooping scoop, the administration didn't admit to collecting the telephone records of millions of Americans. But they didn't say they wouldn't do that either. An anonymous "senior administration official" would not confirm that the newspaper story was true or that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court order was legitimate  but they did tell media outlets on Thursday that the requests are "a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats."

RELATED: The NSA Is Collecting Phone Records in Bulk

The order in question, which was issued in April, compelled Verizon to give the National Secuirty Agency information on all phone calls that were routed through its network over a period of three months. The classified order was published in The Guardian on Wednesday, and though it doesn't mention any other telephone companies, it's possible that similar orders were issued to them as well.

RELATED: Raytheon's 'Google for Spies' Tracks You from Social-Media Sharing — and Fast

The same administration official also reiterated to the AP that while the information collected includes phone numbers, location data, and call times, it doesn't include the contents of any phone conversation. 

After overnight silence, Obama admin finally responds to Guardian report. Won't confirm specifics but defends the practice.
— Chuck Todd (@chucktodd) June 6, 2013

NBC News's Chuck Todd also reported that administration official (presumably the same person) told him that "all branches of government are aware" when orders like this are issued, implying that members of Congress, as well as the President, were likely briefed on the matter when it happened. We'll have to see if President Obama comes forward to discuss this soon, but it looks the government's defense is going to take the usual path when it comes to Patriot Act-style suveillance: This is normal behavior, it's for our own safety, and there's nothing to see here.