Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 988262 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #1700 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:09 AM »
Insane Case of Mistaken Identity: Woman Arrested, Told She Is Actually Dead, Held Anyway

St. Louis police falsely arrested a woman, claiming she was someone who was already dead, and continued to hold her in jail and give her the runaround after acknowledging that the warrant was for a dead person, the woman claims in court.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/insane-case-mistaken-identity-woman-arrested-told-she-actually-dead-held-anyway

It seems that St. Louis police has a habit of abusing and violating citizens, look at this earlier case:

Another former inmate of the city's workhouse has sued the St. Louis Police Department, claiming he was jailed in a case of mistaken identity - and that the city should have known it, as the real guy was in jail too.
In his federal complaint, Travis Jones claims he was booked under the name Mark Crumble, for an alleged outstanding warrant, and was jailed in the city's workhouse from early November 2009 to late January 2010.
"Despite repeated requests by plaintiff, neither the police department, sheriff's department, nor Division of Corrections made any attempt to verify plaintiff's identity as either Jones or Crumble, until ordered to do so by the circuit court for St. Louis City on January 6, 2010," the complaint states.
"More than two weeks later, the police department finally ran Jones' fingerprints, and verified that he was not, in fact, Mark Crumble.
"Shockingly however, while Jones was confined as Crumble, the real Mark Crumble was also under confinement by Corrections. In fact, at the time of Jones' arrest, Crumble was already under confinement by Corrections, but the Crumble warrant was still active."

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/09/48164.htm

and this:

St. Louis police ignored a judge's order to release a victim of misidentification and held him for another 60 days in jail, the man claims in Federal Court.
Cedric Wright says police officers stopped him on Aug. 20, 2011 on suspicion of petty larceny. Wright says he gave the officers valid identification, but they claimed he was actually Corey Darmel Leonard, who was wanted on a felony warrant. Wright claims the officers arrested him as Leonard and injured him by violently shoving him into a patrol car.

"Once at the Justice Center, despite plaintiff's repeated protests that he was not Corey Darmel Leonard and despite the fact that plaintiff was given an inmate identification bracelet identifying him as Cedric Maurice Wright (his true name), defendant Joseph Doe, booking police officer two, wrongfully confined plaintiff in a holding pen, to await a scheduled court appearance for Corey Darmel Leonard.
 "From the holding pen, despite plaintiff's repeated protests that he was not Corey Darmel Leonard and despite the fact that plaintiff was given an inmate identification bracelet identifying him as Cedric Maurice Wright, defendant Jerald Doe, deputy sheriff one took plaintiff into the custody of the St. Louis Sheriff's Department (hereinafter 'Sheriff's Department') and transported plaintiff to a holding cell, to await a scheduled court appearance for Corey Darmel Leonard.

"From the holding cell, despite plaintiff's repeated protests that he was not Corey Darmel Leonard and despite the fact that plaintiff was given an inmate identification bracelet identifying him as Cedric Maurice Wright, while in the custody of the Sheriff's Department, defendant Jackson Doe, deputy sheriff two, transported plaintiff to Division 26 in the Twenty Second Judicial Circuit Court in the City of St. Louis before Judge Elizabeth Bryne Hogan (hereinafter 'Judge Hogan').

"Upon information and belief, Judge Hogan and Assistant Circuit Attorney Patrick Carmody realized plaintiff was being wrongfully detained as Corey Darmel Leonard.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/01/23/43237.htm

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1701 on: August 13, 2014, 05:20:58 AM »
Why America's Police Are Becoming So Militarized

The Economist

  

Mar. 21, 2014, 2:40 PM

 facebook

 linkedin

 twitter

 google+

 print

 email

SWAT
Wikimedia Commons

  
The Economist   

The Economist is the authoritative weekly newspaper focusing on international politics and business news and opinion.

Recent Posts
Why America's Police Are Becoming So Militarized
Why Even Experienced Fund Managers Don't Beat The Market
The Election Of A Satirical Party To The European Parliament Speaks...

See Also

Man Holding Toy Rifle In Ohio Walmart Shot Down By Police

New Jersey Police Officer: Obama Doesn’t Follow The Constitution So I Don’t Have To Either

New Technology Is Shaking Up The World's Oldest Profession

From the way police entered the house--helmeted and masked, guns drawn and shields in front, knocking down the door with a battering ram and rushing inside--you might think they were raiding a den of armed criminals.

In fact they were looking for $1,000-worth of clothes and electronics allegedly bought with a stolen credit card. They found none of these things, but arrested two people in the house on unrelated charges.

They narrowly avoided tragedy. On hearing intruders break in, the homeowner's son, a disabled ex-serviceman, reached for his (legal) gun. Luckily, he heard the police announce themselves and holstered it; otherwise, "they probably would have shot me," he says. His mother, Sally Prince, says she is now traumatised.

Gary Mikulec, chief of the Ankeny, Iowa police force, which raided Ms Prince's home in January, said that the suspects arrested "were not very good people". One had a criminal history that included three assault charges, albeit more than a decade old, and on his arrest was found to have a knife and a meth pipe.

It is easy to see why the police like to be better armed than the people they have to arrest. They risk their lives every day, and are understandably keen to get home in one piece. A big display of force can make a suspect think twice about pulling a gun. "An awful lot of SWAT tactics are focused on forcing the suspect to surrender," says Bill Bratton, New York's police chief.

But civil libertarians such as Radley Balko, the author of "Rise of the Warrior Cop", fret that the American police are becoming too much like soldiers. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams (ie, paramilitary police units) were first formed to deal with violent civil unrest and life-threatening situations: shoot-outs, rescuing hostages, serving high-risk warrants and entering barricaded buildings, for instance. Their mission has crept.

Boozers, barbers and cockfighters

SWAT team
Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images for Texas Motor Speedway

Police practice shooting.

Peter Kraska, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University's School of Justice Studies, estimates that SWAT teams were deployed about 3,000 times in 1980 but are now used around 50,000 times a year. Some cities use them for routine patrols in high-crime areas. Baltimore and Dallas have used them to break up poker games. In 2010 New Haven, Connecticut sent a SWAT team to a bar suspected of serving under-age drinkers.

That same year heavily-armed police raided barber shops around Orlando, Florida; they said they were hunting for guns and drugs but ended up arresting 34 people for "barbering without a licence". Maricopa County, Arizona sent a SWAT team into the living room of Jesus Llovera, who was suspected of organising cockfights. Police rolled a tank into Mr Llovera's yard and killed more than 100 of his birds, as well as his dog. According to Mr Kraska, most SWAT deployments are not in response to violent, life-threatening crimes, but to serve drug-related warrants in private homes.

He estimates that 89% of police departments serving American cities with more than 50,000 people had SWAT teams in the late 1990s--almost double the level in the mid-1980s. By 2007 more than 80% of police departments in cities with between 25,000 and 50,000 people had them, up from 20% in the mid-1980s (there are around 18,000 state and local police agencies in America, compared with fewer than 100 in Britain).

The number of SWAT deployments soared even as violent crime fell. And although in recent years crime rates have risen in smaller American cities, Mr Kraska writes that the rise in small-town SWAT teams was driven not by need, but by fear of being left behind. Fred Leland, a police lieutenant in the small town of Walpole, Massachusetts, says that police departments in towns like his often invest in military-style kit because they "want to keep up" with larger forces.

The courts have smiled on SWAT raids. They often rely on "no-knock" warrants, which authorise police to force their way into a home without announcing themselves. This was once considered constitutionally dubious. But the Supreme Court has ruled that police may enter a house without knocking if they have "a reasonable suspicion" that announcing their presence would be dangerous or allow the suspect to destroy evidence (for example, by flushing drugs down the toilet).

Often these no-knock raids take place at night, accompanied by "flash-bang" grenades designed temporarily to blind, deafen and confuse their targets. They can go horribly wrong: Mr Balko has found more than 50 examples of innocent people who have died as a result of botched SWAT raids.

Officers can get jumpy and shoot unnecessarily, or accidentally. In 2011 Eurie Stamps, the stepfather of a suspected drug-dealer but himself suspected of no crimes, was killed while lying face-down on the floor when a SWAT-team officer reportedly tripped, causing his gun to discharge.

Householders, on hearing the door being smashed down, sometimes reach for their own guns. In 2006 Kathryn Johnston, a 92-year-old woman in Atlanta, mistook the police for robbers and fired a shot from an old pistol. Police shot her five times, killing her. After the shooting they planted marijuana in her home. It later emerged that they had falsified the information used to obtain their no-knock warrant.

Big grants for big guns

swat team police
REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

Members of the Connecticut State Police SWAT team.

Federal cash--first to wage war on drugs, then on terror--has paid for much of the heavy weaponry used by SWAT teams. Between 2002 and 2011 the Department of Homeland Security disbursed $35 billion in grants to state and local police.

Also, the Pentagon offers surplus military kit to police departments. According to Mr Balko, by 2005 it had provided such gear to more than 17,000 law-enforcement agencies.

These programmes provide useful defensive equipment, such as body armour and helmets. But it is hard to see why Fargo, North Dakota--a city that averages fewer than two murders a year--needs an armoured personnel-carrier with a rotating turret.

Keene, a small town in New Hampshire which had three homicides between 1999 and 2012, spent nearly $286,000 on an armoured personnel-carrier known as a BearCat. The local police chief said it would be used to patrol Keene's "Pumpkin Festival and other dangerous situations". A Reason-Rupe poll found that 58% of Americans think the use of drones, military weapons and armoured vehicles by the police has gone "too far".

Because of a legal quirk, SWAT raids can be profitable. Rules on civil asset-forfeiture allow the police to seize anything which they can plausibly claim was the proceeds of a crime. Crucially, the property-owner need not be convicted of that crime. If the police find drugs in his house, they can take his cash and possibly the house, too. He must sue to get them back.

Many police departments now depend on forfeiture for a fat chunk of their budgets. In 1986, its first year of operation, the federal Asset Forfeiture Fund held $93.7m. By 2012, that and the related Seized Asset Deposit Fund held nearly $6 billion.

Mr Balko contends that these forfeiture laws are "unfair on a very basic level". They "disproportionately affect low-income people" and provide a perverse incentive for police to focus on drug-related crimes, which "come with a potential kickback to the police department", rather than rape and murder investigations, which do not. They also provide an incentive to arrest suspected drug-dealers inside their houses, which can be seized, and to bust stash houses after most of their drugs have been sold, when police can seize the cash.

Kara Dansky of the American Civil Liberties Union, who is overseeing a study into police militarisation, notices a more martial tone in recent years in the materials used to recruit and train new police officers. A recruiting video in Newport Beach, California, for instance, shows officers loading assault rifles, firing weapons, chasing suspects, putting people in headlocks and releasing snarling dogs.

This is no doubt sexier than showing them poring over paperwork or attending a neighbourhood-watch meeting. But does it attract the right sort of recruit, or foster the right attitude among serving officers? Mr Balko cites the T-shirts that some off-duty cops wear as evidence of a culture that celebrates violence ("We get up early to beat the crowds"; "You huff and you puff and we'll blow your door down").

Others retort that Mr Balko and his allies rely too much on cherry-picked examples of raids gone wrong. Tragic accidents happen and some police departments use their SWAT teams badly, but most use them well, says Lance Eldridge, a former army officer and ex-sheriff's deputy in Colorado.

It would be easier to determine who is right if police departments released more information about how and how often they deploy SWAT teams. But most are extremely cagey. In 2009 Maryland's governor, Martin O'Malley, signed a law requiring the police in his state to report such information every six months.

Three published reports showed that SWAT teams were most often deployed to serve search warrants on people suspected of crimes involving drugs and other contraband, but the law is set to expire this year. Utah's legislature has passed a similar measure; it awaits the governor's signature.

No one wants to eliminate SWAT teams. Imminent threats to human life require a swift, forceful response. That, say critics, is what SWAT teams should be used for: not for serving warrants on people suspected of nonviolent crimes, breaking up poker games or seeing that the Pumpkin Festival doesn't get out of hand.

Click here to subscribe to The Economist.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-americas-police-are-becoming-so-militarized-2014-3#ixzz3AH3NLELK

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #1702 on: August 13, 2014, 06:09:04 AM »
If i lived in America i would hold to my guns very thight or even buy more.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1704 on: August 17, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/08/13/ferguson-police-michael-brown-militarization-column/14006383

>:(

Nah man, all these IED's and AK-47's going off every day in the country.  Cops gotta have MRAPS, tanks, f_ck...give 'em some nukes too, lol.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #1705 on: August 17, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »

Nah man, all these IED's and AK-47's going off every day in the country.  Cops gotta have MRAPS, tanks, f_ck...give 'em some nukes too, lol.
I just starting working with a guy whos done tons of tactical and competitive shooting courses with lots of LE and military..... he said the police and SWAT were the worse trained, worst shooting, and most arrogant of any of the shooters.

He told me during a quick meeting before an advanced tactics course where everyone was supposed to introduce themselves,  an officer introduced himself saying

"im so and so from the **** **** PD, and if you fuck with any of my 50k brothers and sisters in blue, ill fucking shoot you in the face"

Apparently that illicited some weird looks and snickers from the gathered senior Special Forces operators and military contractors, and when they started the course the guy couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.

he said most of the ones hes met have been like that.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1706 on: August 18, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »
I just starting working with a guy whos done tons of tactical and competitive shooting courses with lots of LE and military..... he said the police and SWAT were the worse trained, worst shooting, and most arrogant of any of the shooters.

He told me during a quick meeting before an advanced tactics course where everyone was supposed to introduce themselves,  an officer introduced himself saying

"im so and so from the **** **** PD, and if you fuck with any of my 50k brothers and sisters in blue, ill fucking shoot you in the face"

Apparently that illicited some weird looks and snickers from the gathered senior Special Forces operators and military contractors, and when they started the course the guy couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.

he said most of the ones hes met have been like that.

Well there ya go... solid ancedotal proof  ::)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #1707 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:44 AM »
Well there ya go... solid ancedotal proof  ::)
Don't take it so personally man. It was meant to be a funny and insightful story into the mindset and attitudes of the men that volunteer to serve and protect the public.

Doesn't mean you're all like that.

But from my experience, and most people I know, LE like yourselves are an ever increasing minority. I know you dont want to believe it but the evidence is all around you. Im sure most of you guys just do your jobs, but the number of absolutley corrupt PDs are increasing exponentially.
Another dude I knew quit the Chicago PD and moved because it was like being in a tax payer funded gang, they were so corrupt and atrocious.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1708 on: August 18, 2014, 08:51:48 AM »
Don't take it so personally man. It was meant to be a funny and insightful story into the mindset and attitudes of the men that volunteer to serve and protect the public.

Doesn't mean you're all like that.

But from my experience, and most people I know, LE like yourselves are an ever increasing minority. I know you dont want to believe it but the evidence is all around you. Im sure most of you guys just do your jobs, but the number of absolutley corrupt PDs are increasing exponentially.
Another dude I knew quit the Chicago PD and moved because it was like being in a tax payer funded gang, they were so corrupt and atrocious.

Cool. I don't work for a corrupt department so I'm limited to my 10 yrs military LE and 22 yrs LE at this one Department. I have friends on others but not all that many so I can't say for certain about the integrity or lack of integrity of other departments. But being in the profession, and seeing the trends that have happened here as well as the information from those friends in other departments I would say the trend is going in the direction of more professional departments with less corruption than in the past. The perception due to cell phone cameras and 24/7 news is that it is increasing. We can disagree on that point, because it's just my opinion based on my limited base of knowledge.

As far as SWAT I would guess the caliber of members and training varies widely among departments, depending on size and budget. We usually have no less than 4 or 5 former SEALS or Special Forces on our teams so for us, I don't think the poorly trained or bad shot claim would apply. Now compare that to Lubbock Texas, you may have a valid point. Chicago may be so corrupt it caused your friend to quit rather than stay and try and make a change in his own little world or he just wasn't cut out to be a cop. We have people resign all the time in their first couple months or years for a variety of reasons and I wouldn't imagine they would share with their friends a reason for leaving that might give the perception they weren't cut out for it.  But again, maybe Chicago IS so corrupt he wanted no part of it.       

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #1710 on: August 18, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Cool. I don't work for a corrupt department so I'm limited to my 10 yrs military LE and 22 yrs LE at this one Department. I have friends on others but not all that many so I can't say for certain about the integrity or lack of integrity of other departments. But being in the profession, and seeing the trends that have happened here as well as the information from those friends in other departments I would say the trend is going in the direction of more professional departments with less corruption than in the past. The perception due to cell phone cameras and 24/7 news is that it is increasing. We can disagree on that point, because it's just my opinion based on my limited base of knowledge.

As far as SWAT I would guess the caliber of members and training varies widely among departments, depending on size and budget. We usually have no less than 4 or 5 former SEALS or Special Forces on our teams so for us, I don't think the poorly trained or bad shot claim would apply. Now compare that to Lubbock Texas, you may have a valid point. Chicago may be so corrupt it caused your friend to quit rather than stay and try and make a change in his own little world or he just wasn't cut out to be a cop. We have people resign all the time in their first couple months or years for a variety of reasons and I wouldn't imagine they would share with their friends a reason for leaving that might give the perception they weren't cut out for it.  But again, maybe Chicago IS so corrupt he wanted no part of it.       
No, he resigned because the cops were taking bribes from pimps/dealers, busting and then fucking hookers and letting them go, confiscating drugs only to turn around and resell them or use them, and sitting around laughing about it with their superiors. All the way up to the highest level he was around, those guys treated the PD like an untouchable mob, and they all backed each other. He moved out of state and is a trooper here in Washington now.

He said it was like a bad movie.

The SWAT and e guys he shot with were not former military. I figured i didnt have to make that point. Military turned cops are obviously different, theyre military trained.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1711 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
No, he resigned because the cops were taking bribes from pimps/dealers, busting and then fucking hookers and letting them go, confiscating drugs only to turn around and resell them or use them, and sitting around laughing about it with their superiors. All the way up to the highest level he was around, those guys treated the PD like an untouchable mob, and they all backed each other. He moved out of state and is a trooper here in Washington now.

The SWAT and e guys he shot with were not former military. I figured i didnt have to make that point. Military turned cops are obviously different, theyre military trained.

The former military SF usually impart their wisdom and experiences to the other members of the team is the additional point.

"No, he resigned because the cops were taking bribes from pimps/dealers, busting and then fucking hookers and letting them go, confiscating drugs only to turn around and resell them or use them, and sitting around laughing about it with their superiors. All the way up to the highest level he was around, those guys treated the PD like an untouchable mob, and they all backed each other. He moved out of state and is a trooper here in Washington now."

That's sad to hear and yes, it sounds an awful lot like a bad movie...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1712 on: August 18, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »

Damn...on one hand you know they will probably go Serpico on his ass.

On the other, you hope that he will be the one to bring down all the corruption!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1713 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:53 AM »
Village to give retiring millionaire cop a huge, ‘criminal’ payout

By Isabel Vincent and Melissa Klein

August 16, 2014 | 10:28pm

Modal Trigger

Westhampton Beach Police Chief Raymond Dean
Photo: Gordon M. Grant

MORE ON:

The Hamptons
For $600, join celebs and the nouveau riche in a unique mile-high club

Hamptonites now have food & wine delivered to homes

The latest status symbol for Hamptons elite is adopting a highway

Once Capote's Hamptons digs, estate sells for nearly $14M

Charge this cop with robbery.

Ray Dean, police chief of the 2.9-square-mile village of Westhampton Beach, is retiring with a bag of cash.

He is getting $403,714 for 15 years’ worth — or 531 days — of unused sick, vacation and personal time. The payment amounts to 4 percent of the village’s entire $9.7 million budget.

Dean resigned on June 30, a day before a new mayor with a reform platform, Maria Moore, took office.

When village trustees authorized the golden parachute, those at the meeting gasped, The Southampton Press newspaper reported.

“It’s criminal. It’s outrageous. It’s outlandish. It should never happen in a small village like this,” said Jim Kametler, a former Westhampton Beach cop who served on the Village Board from 2004 to 2010.

In addition, Dean, who is only 53, will collect an estimated pension of $142,000 a year.

Dean was already a millionaire. He bought a house in Quogue for $1.3 million in 2005, owns a 32-foot boat, and his pay last year came to $226,236 — more than NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton makes.

Modal Trigger

Chief Ray Dean in 2009
Photo: Gordon M. Grant

But while Bratton oversees a force of 34,500 uniformed officers, Dean presided over 11.

And while the NYPD saw 111,335 major felonies last year, crime takes a holiday in the resort town of 1,700 permanent residents.

Murder is unheard of, the last rape was reported in 2010, and the department tallied only 46 serious crimes in 2013, including 37 larcenies and three stolen cars.

One shocking incident involved reported vandalism: An oceanfront resident claimed someone spray-painted her back porch white.

But the Westhampton Beach force soon cracked the case.

“Officers said the deck was not covered in paint but rather bird droppings,” the Press reported.

Dean spent 15 years in Southampton Town as an officer and sergeant before joining the Westhampton force in 1999, scoring a 10-year contract as its chief.

In contract renewal talks in 2009, Dean threatened to sue the village, demanding pay for hundreds of hours of accumulated sick and comp time. This sum was folded into his final payment in June.

He was awarded a five-year contract in 2011 that called for yearly raises of 2 percent on average. It gave him 30 vacation days, 22 sick days and five personal days a year.

Dean got extra pay for longevity and for working at night and on holidays. His $165,032 salary last year was bumped up by $61,204 with the extras factored in.

By the time Dean packed it in, he claimed he had amassed 300 unused sick days, 10 personal days, 208 vacation days and 13 holidays.

He retires with full benefits based on nearly 30 years of police service, the state Comptroller’s Office says.

Dean did not return a message seeking comment.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1714 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »

The vacation and the personal they have to cough up.  I think any private employer would be the same.  So, I think the sick is the real issue, but speaking from knowledge of other gov't agencies, when they don't pay out the sick, people start taking tons of sick leave prior to retirement.  So, they're paying it one way or another.  Not sure what, if anything, should be done about that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #1715 on: August 19, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
I have not read or posted in this thread, but I thought I would try and make a meaningful contribution anyway.   :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1716 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
I have not read or posted in this thread, but I thought I would try and make a meaningful contribution anyway.   :D

Why's it always gotta be a brown dog? Why don't they ever post pics of police searching white dogs??

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #1717 on: August 20, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
Why's it always gotta be a brown dog? Why don't they ever post pics of police searching white dogs??

:D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1718 on: August 20, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1719 on: August 20, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
Check this video on the National Review out. And do note: this is how this asshole cop acts when he knows he's on camera: holding a gun raised, pointing it to the crowd and threatening to kill people.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1720 on: August 20, 2014, 02:38:56 PM »
Check this video on the National Review out. And do note: this is how this asshole cop acts when he knows he's on camera: holding a gun raised, pointing it to the crowd and threatening to kill people.

I think he was already suspended

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1721 on: August 20, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
I think he was already suspended

That's what I read.  Supposedly 'indefinitely', be we all know that really means a minor slap on the wrist and back to work.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #1722 on: August 20, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
After all this time, he may face charges... And of course he's on paid leave.

Criminal charges may be brought against the California Highway Patrol officer who beat a woman on a freeway on-ramp in Los Angeles.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014
LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
Criminal charges may be brought against the California Highway Patrol officer who beat a woman on a freeway on-ramp in Los Angeles.

The California Highway Patrol forwarded Wednesday an investigation to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office outlining "potentially serious charges" against Daniel Andrew, according to a news release. The district attorney is expected to review the investigation and decide whether or not to file charges.

http://abc7.com/news/chp-officer-who-beat-woman-may-face-charges/273554/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1723 on: August 21, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
From what I read, the officer was from a small department. First I will say I'm glad he was suspended. As Chris Rock would say... I don't condone what he did...but I understand it.  I've been in a couple crowd control situations where bottles and rocks were being thrown and the crowd was agitated and somewhat uncontrollable. It's truly an "oh shit" situation. Adrenaline is dumping, you're way out numbered and kinda wishing you were off duty that night. But, the training and experience we have allows us to focus, remain professional and we don't over react. When we first started the training, and would have mock crowds taunt and toss bottles, the newer members would sometimes break rank to try and grab someone. The Sgts would grab them by their collars and pull them back and remind them to never do anything alone, stay in a group. Eventually it becomes second nature and you don't sweat the small stuff. This officer probably never faced anything even remotely similar until that night. Probably scared to death and that's how he reacted. Unfortunately he isn't allowed to project his fear in that way, and likely Law Enforcement isn't for him. If I were his Chief I would have a concern about his ability to deal with stressful situation which will come up in that profession and I would terminate him. He is a risk in my opinion. He got in way over his head and couldn't handle the stress.     

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1724 on: August 21, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
Ah well, if we're going to speculate, maybe we should consider other alternatives.

I'm thinking the cop is typically overly aggressive by nature.  He's not accustomed to people ignoring him or not bowing to his every command.  He's probably accustomed to immediate compliance and his temper rages whenever he perceives somebody is not obedient.

He's probably undergone extensive training at taxpayer expense and the union will probably claim that's still not enough training.  He was probably never specifically taught that he shouldn't say 'go fuck yourself', so how could he possibly see anything wrong with that.

But nah, let's always try and put that rosey spin on it.  ::)