Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 989562 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #1725 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »
FBI arrests embattled Rio Arriba County sheriff, son

By Journal and wire reports
UPDATED: Friday, August 15, 2014 at 3:31 pm
PUBLISHED: Friday, August 15, 2014 at 8:31 am

The FBI says a New Mexico sheriff and his son have been arrested in an ongoing investigation.

Rio Arriba Sheriff Thomas R. “Tommy” Rodella and his son Thomas R. Rodella Jr. were indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of conspiracy to violate the civil rights of man they chased down in a high speed chase last march.

Both men appeared before a federal magistrate Friday morning and pleaded not guilty to the charges. A judge on Friday afternoon released them on their own recognizance. As a term of his release, Sheriff Rodella will not be allowed to carry a firearm.

According to a federal indictment returned earlier this week, Rodella’s son drove the sheriff’s personal car in the high speed chase, eventually stopping the man identified only as M.T. and challenging him to a fight.

M.T. then drove away and the chase began again, the indictment charges. The second time the Rodellas stopped the man, Sheriff Rodella, in uniform, jumped into M.T.’s car brandishing a silver revolver and assaulted the man.

The indictment charges the younger Rodella dragged the man out of his car.

Sheriff Rodella had other deputies comes to the scene and book him into the Rio Arriba Detention Center. The indictment charges that both Rodellas made false representations that the man had attempted to injure Sheriff Rodella.

The indictment also charges both men with falsifying records to charge M.T. and cover up what occurred.

They are charged with conspiracy against the free exercise of civil rights, deprivation of rights, brandishing a firearm and two counts of falsification of documents.

Rodella was arrested at his office Friday morning. His son, Thomas, Jr., was arrested at the family’s Española home.

U.S. Attorney Damon Martinez said the federal charges filed against Rodella do not mandate his removal from office. Rodella’s role as sheriff will need to be decided on a local level, Martinez said.

In June, FBI agents raided Rodella’s home in connection with an aggravated assault case. The raid occurred just hours after Rodella lost re-election.

Rodella’s home was search earlier this year by FBI agents.

Albuquerque attorney Robert Gorence is representing Rodella. Jason Bowles is representing Rodella Jr.

This is a developing story. Check back later for more information.

http://www.abqjournal.com/446522/abqnewsseeker/fbi-arrests-rio-arriba-sheriff.html

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1726 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
Oklahoma City police officer arrested, accused of rape

Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:17 PM EDT Updated: Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:10 PM EDT
By: Kristen Ventura, Producer

OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma City police officer has been arrested following accusations of rape and other misconduct.

Daniel Holtzclaw was arrested around 3 p.m. on Thursday in the parking lot of Gold's Gym in northwest Oklahoma City.

Holtzclaw allegedly stopped women, threatened them and made them expose themselves and perform sexual acts.

Authorities say the complaints started in June, but the alleged crimes date back to February.

http://www.okcfox.com/story/26340865/oklahoma-city-police-officer-arrested-for-rape-and-other-sexual-misconduct

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1727 on: August 22, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
Ah well, if we're going to speculate, maybe we should consider other alternatives.

I'm thinking the cop is typically overly aggressive by nature.  He's not accustomed to people ignoring him or not bowing to his every command.  He's probably accustomed to immediate compliance and his temper rages whenever he perceives somebody is not obedient.

He's probably undergone extensive training at taxpayer expense and the union will probably claim that's still not enough training.  He was probably never specifically taught that he shouldn't say 'go fuck yourself', so how could he possibly see anything wrong with that.

But nah, let's always try and put that rosey spin on it.  ::)

You could be right, I'm just giving my perspective.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1728 on: August 22, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »
NY Daily News ^ | Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:30 AM | Philip Caulfield
Posted on August 22, 2014 at 8:18:04 PM EDT by Half Vast Conspiracy

State trooper AJ Huntsman was accused of lifting more than $8,000 in cash and jewelry from a dying man at a motorcycle crash site in 2012. He later lied to supervisors and the dead man's family about it, authorities said.

A crooked Connecticut cop caught by his dash cam stealing more than $8,000 in cash and jewelry off a mangled motorcycle crash victim is facing prison after pleading guilty Wednesday.

State trooper AJ Huntsman, 45, was facing 10 years for the theft, but was likely to get just 16 months in jail and five years' probation when he's sentenced on Oct. 3, the Connecticut Post reported.

(Excerpt) Read more at nydailynews.com ...

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1729 on: August 23, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Trooper who arrested NFL's Sam Montgomery fired

The South Carolina state trooper who arrested NFL defensive lineman Sam Montgomery at a traffic stop last June has been fired, state officials said Friday.

The Department of Public Safety said in a news release that Lance Cpl. R.S. Salter was terminated for violating agency policies including conduct unbecoming a state employee. Salter stopped Montgomery in June when the Cincinnati Bengals defensive lineman was returning to his home in Greenwood.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/nfl_coverage/2014/08/trooper_who_arrested_nfls_sam_montgomery_fired

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1730 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
Florida Man Records Himself Getting Attacked by Cop for not Rolling Down Window all the way

A horrifying video has emerged showing St. Petersburg police forcing a man out of his car before pouncing on him, leaving him hospitalized with several injuries, all because the cop claimed he was in fear for his life.

At least that what he says in his report, where he wrote the following:

I exited my marked patrol cruiser and walked towards the vehicle and I noticed the driver staring at me with a blank stare as he continued revving the engine louder and louder. I thought by his actions the subject was going to attempt to hit me with his car.

The video, however, shows it was Curtis Shannon, a young man from Florida who was probably fearing for his life during the arrest.

It also shows that he remained professional as he tried to hand the cop his license and registration through a small opening after the cop pulled him over for what he claimed was erratic driving.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/08/26/florida-man-records-getting-attacked-cop-rolling-window-way/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1731 on: August 26, 2014, 11:44:08 PM »
This is infuriating:

South Florida Man Fights Back After Felony Arrest for Asking Cop to Drive Safer

All Eric McDonough wanted was for Homestead Police officer Alejandro Murguido to obey the same traffic laws he enforced in their neighborhood.

Instead, the 36-year-old scientist ended up in jail on charges of aggravated stalking and threatening a public servant because he confronted Murguido with his cellphone’s voice recorder outside the cop’s home  two years ago. Since then, McDonough says Homestead Police Department brass have refused to investigate Murguido for falsely accusing him even though he has an audio recording that contradicts the cop’s version of events.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/08/19/cops-retaliate-miami-man/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1733 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
http://blog.blacknews.com/2013/05/judge-mark-ciavarella-sentenced-selling-kids-prison-system101.html

wow

Too lenient... but at least it's not a travesty like "one year suspended and the permanent stain to his reputation" bullshit that often passes for punishment.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1734 on: August 27, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »
Florida Man Records Himself Getting Attacked by Cop for not Rolling Down Window all the way

A horrifying video has emerged showing St. Petersburg police forcing a man out of his car before pouncing on him, leaving him hospitalized with several injuries, all because the cop claimed he was in fear for his life.

At least that what he says in his report, where he wrote the following:

I exited my marked patrol cruiser and walked towards the vehicle and I noticed the driver staring at me with a blank stare as he continued revving the engine louder and louder. I thought by his actions the subject was going to attempt to hit me with his car.

The video, however, shows it was Curtis Shannon, a young man from Florida who was probably fearing for his life during the arrest.

It also shows that he remained professional as he tried to hand the cop his license and registration through a small opening after the cop pulled him over for what he claimed was erratic driving.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2014/08/26/florida-man-records-getting-attacked-cop-rolling-window-way/

If he'd only seen the Chris Rock video...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1735 on: August 27, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
Too lenient... but at least it's not a travesty like "one year suspended and the permanent stain to his reputation" bullshit that often passes for punishment.

Agree.  Though I think a lot more people should be in jail over this.  He was treating people like this in his courtroom for 5 fucking years or so and nobody did shit to stop it.  Just unreal.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1736 on: August 27, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
http://blog.blacknews.com/2013/05/judge-mark-ciavarella-sentenced-selling-kids-prison-system101.html

wow

Though this is an old case it is still outrageous. Only 12 counts and 30 years? Every wrong conviction he made in this way should be a separate case. The time all those kids spent in prison wrongfully should add up to a lot more than 30 years (which those kids will never get back).

The co-owner of that damn prison got a mere 18 months (not years) in federal prison.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1737 on: August 28, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1738 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
Family mourns innocent woman killed by OPD officer's stray bullet at Vixen Bar

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-maria-godinez-castillo-vixen-shooting-20140820,0,6933988.story

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1739 on: August 29, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
Family mourns innocent woman killed by OPD officer's stray bullet at Vixen Bar

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-maria-godinez-castillo-vixen-shooting-20140820,0,6933988.story

Gives no details other than a struggle with a gun weilding person...

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1740 on: August 29, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
Gives no details other than a struggle with a gun weilding person...

Suspect charged with murder after stray police bullet kills innocent woman

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-kody-roach-murder-charge-vixen-20140826,0,4849648.story

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1741 on: August 29, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-kody-roach-murder-charge-vixen-20140826,0,4849648.story

Thanks

That sucks.. the cop was in a bad situation no doubt. I would have shot the guy as well. That an innocent bystander died kinda defeats the purpose of shooting the bad guy in the first place but its probably night, poorly lit, adrenaline flowing, guys not standing still.. I mighta missed one as well.. tough call and tragic ending

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1742 on: August 29, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/henry-davis/

Police beat a man, then accuse him of four counts of damaging government property... by bleeding on their uniforms.

Although two of the cops later recanted their sworn statements, they were not charged with or prosecuted for perjury because their perjury was not deemed important enough to warrant prosecution. The beaten man was tried and convicted of the remaining two counts and fined $3,000.00.

A Magistrate Judge dismissed claims of excessive force by claiming that “a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp laceration, and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution.”

What a fucking joke. The cops, the prosecutor and the Judge (Nannette Baker) involved in this travesty ought to be the ones facing justice.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1743 on: August 29, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
Thanks

That sucks.. the cop was in a bad situation no doubt. I would have shot the guy as well. That an innocent bystander died kinda defeats the purpose of shooting the bad guy in the first place but its probably night, poorly lit, adrenaline flowing, guys not standing still.. I mighta missed one as well.. tough call and tragic ending

There might have been (or not) circumstances that the cops might not have had perfect visibility or time to react but why charge that person with murder when it wasn't him that shot the innocent bystander?
The argument "As a result of Roach's actions, an individual was killed therefore probable cause exist to further charge Roach with first degree felony murder" is just ridiculous.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1744 on: August 29, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »
There might have been (or not) circumstances that the cops might not have had perfect visibility or time to react but why charge that person with murder when it wasn't him that shot the innocent bystander?
The argument "As a result of Roach's actions, an individual was killed therefore probable cause exist to further charge Roach with first degree felony murder" is just ridiculous.

There is precedent for this and it's not unreasonable. If you engage in an activity that you reasonably should have known would or could result in someone else being injured, you can be charged even if you are not the direct cause of injury.

Consider, for example the following scenario:

I invite you over to my ranch to do some practice shooting against an old outhouse that I have on my property. At the same time, I ask my wife to go retrieve something from said outhouse.

You come and begin shooting, unaware that there's anyone in the outhouse. As a result, my wife dies from multiple gunshot wounds.

Should I not be charged?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1745 on: August 29, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »
There is precedent for this and it's not unreasonable. If you engage in an activity that you reasonably should have known would or could result in someone else being injured, you can be charged even if you are not the direct cause of injury.

Consider, for example the following scenario:

I invite you over to my ranch to do some practice shooting against an old outhouse that I have on my property. At the same time, I ask my wife to go retrieve something from said outhouse.

You come and begin shooting, unaware that there's anyone in the outhouse. As a result, my wife dies from multiple gunshot wounds.

Should I not be charged?

Not quite. The logic that if the police shows up and no matter what they do they charge the suspect with it is crazy. What if the cop had shot himself in the foot as he was trying to pull out his weapon? Would the suspect be charged with that too? What if the cop shot at something explosive like maybe a gas tank and the explosion killed 5 innocent people? This could be used as a blanket excuse for brutal abuse.

Even though from the facts it appears the cops had reason to believe the suspect was armed and quite possibly danger and might (or not) have had reason to discharge their firearm, they nevertheless shot an innocent bystander.

They should be investigated for that.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1746 on: August 30, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
Walnut Creek officer accused of beating woman with bat

A man who’d been in charge of upholding the law for three decades is now accused of breaking it. Richmond police arrested an off-duty Walnut Creek Police Officer for allegedly donning a mask and beating a woman with a baseball bat on August 16. The attack happened around 2 a.m., in a residential neighborhood on Clinton and San Pablo avenues in Richmond.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/walnut-creek-officer-arrested-allegedly-beating-wo/nhCCr/

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1747 on: August 31, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/henry-davis/

Police beat a man, then accuse him of four counts of damaging government property... by bleeding on their uniforms.

Although two of the cops later recanted their sworn statements, they were not charged with or prosecuted for perjury because their perjury was not deemed important enough to warrant prosecution. The beaten man was tried and convicted of the remaining two counts and fined $3,000.00.

A Magistrate Judge dismissed claims of excessive force by claiming that “a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp laceration, and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution.”

What a fucking joke. The cops, the prosecutor and the Judge (Nannette Baker) involved in this travesty ought to be the ones facing justice.

You have a knack for posting some of the most egregious abuses.  Unfuckingreal.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1748 on: August 31, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »

Not quite. The logic that if the police shows up and no matter what they do they charge the suspect with it is crazy. What if the cop had shot himself in the foot as he was trying to pull out his weapon? Would the suspect be charged with that too? What if the cop shot at something explosive like maybe a gas tank and the explosion killed 5 innocent people? This could be used as a blanket excuse for brutal abuse.

Even though from the facts it appears the cops had reason to believe the suspect was armed and quite possibly danger and might (or not) have had reason to discharge their firearm, they nevertheless shot an innocent bystander.

They should be investigated for that.

I don't think it would.  It's kinda like telling our military that there can't be civilian casualties - it's absurd.

You feel for the victim to be sure, but I don't think it reasonable or fair to blame the cops for something like this - unless it was unreasonable for them to pull their guns and shoot to begin with (as was the case with 2 ladies in CA - but naturally they all covered for each other so shit won't be done).

I think the most any cop can reasonably do is try to minimize such incidents via other means...but they will happen and we've to hope we're not the victims.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #1749 on: August 31, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »

I think in this instance, the charge is accurate... Had their not been a gun involved by the suspect, the shooting would not have occurred (at least that is the likely scenario)

In this instance, I am in agreement with the charge that the fault is on the person wielding the first weapon.