Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 591877 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #2675 on: January 13, 2016, 03:16:12 AM »
Harley as a fan of bodybuilding, have you ever thought of specializing in bodybuilding and steroid defense law like Rick Collins?

That is a brilliant idea! Stop the witch hunt already.

But, now that I think through, bbers for the most part are dirt poor. and Harley's no schmoe.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2676 on: January 13, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »
Whew! Your post made me feel so much better because I just wasn't getting it.

"asking for me by my full name."

The nerve.

The guy probably isn't the worst neighbor someone could have, by a long way.  Maybe he's a little strange, but who isn't?

But if SA is going to let his mind get carried away by it all, Harley's advice is good for him to follow.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2677 on: January 13, 2016, 09:42:24 AM »
Dear Howard,
  I hope you find solace and comfort in knowing you were a good son and your mother saw that in you.
Harley

Thanks for the kind words. In brief, my wife and I were at her side during her last 2 weeks of life.
She brought me into this world and I saw her depart. With us there , she was able to die peacefully in her home .

It was one of the most deeply moving experiences of my life.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2678 on: January 16, 2016, 06:56:12 AM »
Dear GetBiggers,
   I am now 45 pounds (182 lbs.) lighter than I was just one year ago.
   I thought that would make me happy.  It does make me feel better on many levels but I must admit something.
   Immediately since my return from Zurich, I have fallen into a very deep depression for reasons I will not publicize.
   I hope you will respect my not revealing the reason.
   I wanted to let you know this because if I am gone for a few days I don't want it to appear as if I am ignoring you.
   In fact, I am so thankful to guys like Las Vegas and Pellius and all the rest of you.  You guys really do give me much
needed support.
   I am not embarrassed to admit I am suffering right now from an awfully dark depression and it's not one I can even
confide to my family or most of my closest friends.  I am not a perfect person.  I am not always strong and sure.  I think
that many people are afraid to admit they suffer from bouts of depression.
  Well, this isn't the 60's or 70's anymore and I am here now saying that I am suffering from a particular and specific bout
with a very strong and overpowering depression.
  While I understand this will diminish how many of you think of me, I prefer to be honest with you and perhaps there is just
one other person out there who feels as if I do who can now admit it and maybe seek some help.  Asking for help is something
that us "alpha-males" have trouble doing.  If we admit to something that makes us less "big," less tough, less able to beat someone
up, less able to make money then we make ourselves feel as if we have diminished our status and reputation to others.
  Well, I am here to say that there are people who need to care about much more than how they are perceived by others.  There is
more to life than owning cars and jewelry and being in the newspaper or on the news.  You already know that.  I just want to say
that while most times it is great possessing material things, sometimes the one thing we need most is taken from us or it won't allow
us to obtain it.  Life is often the most cruel irony of all.
  I thank you in advance for your understanding and if I am gone for a few days, please know it's only due to my own issue.  I will be back.
Sincerely,
Harley

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #2679 on: January 16, 2016, 07:06:55 AM »
 Well, this isn't the 60's or 70's anymore and I am here now saying that I am suffering from a particular and specific bout
  While I understand this will diminish how many of you think of me, I prefer to be honest with you and perhaps there is just
one other person out there who feels as if I do who can now admit it and maybe seek some help.  Asking for help is something
that us "alpha-males" have trouble doing.  If we admit to something that makes us less "big," less tough, less able to beat someone
up, less able to make money then we make ourselves feel as if we have diminished our status and reputation to others.

Dear Harley,
Wish you all the best and that you might overcome this condition as fast as possible.
Yes, while it is hard to admit shortcomings and the like, asking for help etc...
In my book a real alpha although he might hesitate has no problem with that.
Also telling the truth will never dimish anyones "status", infact it should elevate it no matter what the truth.
Then again the real alpha gives a shit about "status" or what other people might think.
Don't worry about your "status".
You are doing very good.

All the best,
OB1

©

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2680 on: January 16, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »
Dear GetBiggers,
   I am now 45 pounds (182 lbs.) lighter than I was just one year ago.
   I thought that would make me happy.  It does make me feel better on many levels but I must admit something.
   Immediately since my return from Zurich, I have fallen into a very deep depression for reasons I will not publicize.
   I hope you will respect my not revealing the reason.
   I wanted to let you know this because if I am gone for a few days I don't want it to appear as if I am ignoring you.
   In fact, I am so thankful to guys like Las Vegas and Pellius and all the rest of you.  You guys really do give me much
needed support.
   I am not embarrassed to admit I am suffering right now from an awfully dark depression and it's not one I can even
confide to my family or most of my closest friends.  I am not a perfect person.  I am not always strong and sure.  I think
that many people are afraid to admit they suffer from bouts of depression.
one other person out there who feels as if I do who can now admit it and maybe seek some help.  Asking for help is something
that us "alpha-males" have trouble doing.  If we admit to something that makes us less "big," less tough, less able to beat someone
  Well, I am here to say that there are people who need to care about much more than how they are perceived by others.  There is
more to life than owning cars and jewelry and being in the newspaper or on the news.  You already know that.  I just want to say
that while most times it is great possessing material things, sometimes the one thing we need most is taken from us or it won't allow
us to obtain it.  Life is often the most cruel irony of all.
  I thank you in advance for your understanding and if I am gone for a few days, please know it's only due to my own issue.  I will be back.
Sincerely,
Harley

Harley, it will get better, brother.  Just ride out the storm.  You can do it.

Once you are 100% with your exercise, and your hormones have something to do, it will all be much more tolerable.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #2681 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »
You are not the only one who has a depresIon on getbig, nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe seek help and talk to a professional maybe can help

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2682 on: January 16, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
Harley, it will get better, brother.  Just ride out the storm.  You can do it.

Once you are 100% with your exercise, and your hormones have something to do, it will all be much more tolerable.

That's a decent, supportive reply Las Vegas. I suspect that you, pellius and many others here are decent guys in person. Getbig is like some goofy, virtual field of battle .

I too, can find myself feeling depressed  at times. I guess it's normal? I'm glad a smart guy like Harley posted his current dealings on a bout of depression.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2683 on: January 16, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »
That's a decent, supportive reply Las Vegas. I suspect that you, pellius and many others here are decent guys in person. Getbig is like some goofy, virtual field of battle .

I too, can find myself feeling depressed  at times. I guess it's normal? I'm glad a smart guy like Harley posted his current dealings on a bout of depression.

I do think it's normal, Howard.  Then if a person's hormones aren't right (for any reason, including age), it might seem impossible to deal with.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2684 on: January 16, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »
I do think it's normal, Howard.  Then if a person's hormones aren't right (for any reason, including age), it might seem impossible to deal with.

Good point on the hormone issues. I'm proud to admit I've been on HRT for the last 10 yrs now.

BUT, I also know it can be from a variety of issues dealing with the ups/downs of "life".
For me, NOT having a goal to go for, can result in self imposed "depression".
I feel the most energetic and alive, when I'm trying to achieve something...anything  ;)

I don't personally know Harley, so I can't say what his deal is.
I do know he's a smart, successful , thoughtful man.
Thus, he's going to be introspective and reflect on his "life".

I know you join me in wishing him well, during his inner turmoil, whatever it may be.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2685 on: January 16, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
Howard, I don't recall seeing you mention whether you currently work out.  Do you?  (This isn't a 'do you even lift' question.  I know you were a competitive bber)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #2686 on: January 16, 2016, 12:18:09 PM »
Howard, I don't recall seeing you mention whether you currently work out.  Do you?  (This isn't a 'do you even lift' question.  I know you were a competitive bber)

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #2687 on: January 16, 2016, 03:34:02 PM »

Please delete this obviously photoshopped pic of Howard. This is not the thread for this type of B.S. It's one of the few decent, civil and adult threads on this board.

Show a little class.

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2688 on: January 16, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
Please delete this obviously photoshopped pic of Howard. This is not the thread for this type of B.S. It's one of the few decent, civil and adult threads on this board.

Show a little class.

+1
©

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2689 on: January 16, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »

Show a little class.

Thanks . But I thought it was some classic getbig fun crap.
Sadly, it isn't too far off from my current physique LOL. ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, I just got back from a decent back and hamstring workout.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #2690 on: January 16, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »
Dear Harley,

I am very sorry to hear about your current struggles. Life is a constant battle and it never ends. Getting out of bed in the morning, fighting traffic, dealing with people, trying to keep body and soul together... And not only does it never end, you never really win in the traditional sense. Life eventually wears you down and you fall apart and die. The best you can do it seems is to make it through with a little of your honor and dignity intact. It's almost like Sysiphus. What a worse punishment could there be then to have all your energies devoted to accomplishing nothing?

But for some, there is meaning, and even nobility, in the struggle, the fight and the suffering.  

“I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain. One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too, like Oedipus*, concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself, forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”

-- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sysiphus

* "Despite so many ordeals, my advanced age and the nobility of my soul make me conclude that all is well."

-- Sophocles, Oedipus the King

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #2691 on: January 16, 2016, 04:10:01 PM »
Thanks . But I thought it was some classic getbig fun crap.
Sadly, it isn't too far off from my current physique LOL. ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, I just got back from a decent back and hamstring workout.

Yes, classic GetBig crap. But just not here. You know how fast things can degenerate.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2692 on: January 16, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »
Yes, classic GetBig crap. But just not here. You know how fast things can degenerate.

True and thanks again.

hey , next leg workout , let's all pledge to do at least 1 set of sissy squats in honor this mythic figure.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2693 on: January 18, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
Hey Guys,
  Thank you for your kind and thoughtful responses.
  Today was a better day.  I made it out of my house for a bit.
  I am down a bit more in weight but am not concerned about that.
  I have decided to finish the 4 cars I am building and sell them.  I am also considering
not taking back Tyrone, the pit bull who is in training.
  I think I need to make my life a bit less complicated.  The struggles seem endless and the rewards don't
always flow from "things", material things.  I know how this can sound to people who struggle to just make rent.
Believe me, I am not crying that I don't make enough money (the truth is, no one, even the rich, make "enough")
because I know how fortunate I am even though I am not "rich."  I am very comfortable and then is something I don't ignore. 
  However, some times having more stuff is an impediment.  I have clothes I haven't worn in years and not just because I was too fat.
  I have 4 watches although I never wear a watch (3 were given to me by my Dad, one I had custom made like an idiot).
  Adding a dog to my life would be rewarding in terms of the love I would expect to receive but again, complications and responsibilities
that are not from a human to human bond.
  I will never get to use on a regular basis 4 "one-off" custom made cars yet I am almost done building 2 and have the other 2 ready to continue.
It doesn't make sense.
  I am 48 years old.  My younger, close friend died 2 weeks ago.  Glen Frey dies today at 67 from surgery complications.  It's so fragile, the time is
not so long. 
  Now, a particular circumstance has made me re-evaluate my life and what I truly want and it's something unattainable about which I won't speak.
  I only mention it this one time and only this time to make the point that NOT EVERYTHING which can be bought brings happiness.
  Please, kiss your wives, kiss your kids, call, do not text or email your real friends and say thanks for being there.  In the end, it is our relationships
that make us happy.
  I hope to feel a bit better soon and again thank you for your kind responses and allowing my diatribes.
Harley

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2694 on: January 18, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »
Great words of life wisdom, thanks for posting them Harley.
I hope you can find a place for personal inner peace and bliss.

I can only share that , for me, having a loving wife, dogs and the gyms are my "center".
I never wanted kids , so I never had 'em, but I understand the love/joy experienced by  parents.

You are smart to cut back at this time and my motto has always been ; "small world = much peace".
Yes, you've made a decent living and gotten your 15 min of fame from your legal career.
BUT, your work has helped many people in their own hr of need.

In my opinion, you should EMBRACE the small personal things that bring YOU joy and meaning.
Only YOU know what those things are. My only advice is to revel in them with no excuses.
Often we try to focus on those things that others may praise us for. It's basic human nature to do so.

I wish you well on solving this current inner turmoil.

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2695 on: January 18, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
In my opinion, you should EMBRACE the small personal things that bring YOU joy and meaning.
Only YOU know what those things are. My only advice is to revel in them with no excuses.
Often we try to focus on those things that others may praise us for. It's basic human nature to do so.

Wise words.
Being thankful even for small things helps a lot.
©

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #2696 on: January 19, 2016, 01:56:35 AM »
Dear Harley,

Although I tend to be a pessimist, have little hope for the future of our country, and believe that the bad, evil and injustice in this world far outweigh the good; I have always been fortunate in that I can't ever remember being depressed ever in my life. Sure I get discourage and I tend to harbor grudges not only with people, but with life circumstances and even with God. I so hate the needless suffering and injustice in this world

I think it was because from an early age it was always pounded into me to be grateful. That no matter how bad I think I have it others have it way worse. My mother, who came from a third world country, use to tell me when I would complain about how bad things are that I have no idea, not the slightest clue, what real suffering is like.  That just being born in America put me head and tails above the rest of the world.

I came across this picture over 15 years ago. She got run over by a truck. And because she, through no fault of her own (just like me being born in Hawaii was a gift that I did nothing to earn or deserve), happened to be born in a shit hole of a country and her parents not only couldn't afford a wheel chair but had to come up with something that will enable her to 'walk" to school, something kids here don't do, or like to do, with two good legs. So all they could come with was a flat basketball that was abandon in a pile of trash on the street so that she could drag her stump of a body, all by herself, on a dirt road to her school. And she has to do this everyday. Every damn stinking day.

When I first looked at that  picture I got so angry. The type of fury that brings tears to your eyes. That make you look up into the sky and shake your fist. I so hate this world. Of all the possibilities that an omnipotent God could create this is the best he could do? Virtually everything about this world is wrong. So wrong.

Another thing that gave me pause was her face. Her face. She's smiling. Not just some smile that you do when you pose for a pic but a really big, happy, broad smile. In a way, it still made me sad. I don't know why exactly. That despite it all she could still smile. Imagine how things would be if she wasn't crippled? If she wasn't so cursed?

I'm still not sure but what I am sure of was that if she could smile despite it all I have nothing to complain about. I have nothing to be depressed about.  

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2697 on: January 21, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
Good posts, guys.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2698 on: January 23, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
Hey Guys,
  I first want to thank you for your kind responses and your wonderful PMs.  It really helped.
  I am feeling quite better today, but not totally right just yet.
  I lost 46 pounds since last year and have lost enough fat (and muscle, yes, I know) to now start my real diet to get in shape.
  Today, at 183.4 lbs., I have started my diet in attempt to hit 100 % of my best condition.  I have 10 weeks, maybe 12 to hit 100%.
  I am not exactly sure which date is my target date but it can't be less than 10 weeks from today.
  I appreciate all your help and kind words and look to not disappoint this time.
  I am ready for constant communications on any and all topics.
Harley

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2699 on: January 23, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
It's good to see you again, Harley.  Glad to know you feel better.  I know from your past pics that 100% for you is about 200% of the average person, so it's great to see you're back on track.