Author Topic: The Y board lifting thread  (Read 2029517 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: The Y board lifting thread.
« Reply #6075 on: April 24, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
WOD  - this workout will kick your ass

Rushfit Warmup

Burpee + 15 yard sprint  6 times no rest as all  - 10 sets

Bear Crawl - 30 yards x 10

Rowing Machine - 500 yards in less than 2 minutes - 10 sets

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #6076 on: April 24, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »
WOD  - this workout will kick your ass

Rushfit Warmup

Burpee + 15 yard sprint  6 times no rest as all  - 10 sets

Bear Crawl - 30 yards x 10

Rowing Machine - 500 yards in less than 2 minutes - 10 sets

I would rather shave my balls...and jump legs spread on a cold metal railing.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6077 on: April 24, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
I would rather shave my balls...and jump legs spread on a cold metal railing.

Probably - but this workout will kick your ass. 

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #6078 on: April 24, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
Probably - but this workout will kick your ass. 

I threw up from exhaustion just from reading your WOD description  :-X

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6079 on: April 24, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
Yesterday

Warm-ups....Swing Bell lying pullovers, from between nuts/legs to behind the head..180 degrees. Usually couple of lighter sets of 15 to 20 reps.

1) Bench press lockouts,in a power rack,from around 7-8" to top.  2X10-12 medium grip, 1 X10-12 close grip

2)  Military Press.....Partial to the top of the head, 2X 8-12

3)  Dips (weighted) To just below the 90 degree break.  2X8-12

4) Press behind the neck...2X10-12, full ROM..complete overhead lockout, starting at the mid trap (shoulder line) position.

Usually when having time, I go in the back of the gym and take a short 10- to 15 minutes relaxing, or nap, period.

F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6080 on: April 24, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »
I threw up from exhaustion just from reading your WOD description  :-X

I am trying to keep not only good muscle on my frame - but have and retain good physical fitness overall

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #6081 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
Yesterday

Warm-ups....Swing Bell lying pullovers, from between nuts/legs to behind the head..180 degrees. Usually couple of lighter sets of 15 to 20 reps.

1) Bench press lockouts,in a power rack,from around 7-8" to top.  2X10-12 medium grip, 1 X10-12 close grip

4) Press behind the neck...2X10-12, full ROM..complete overhead lockout, starting at the mid trap (shoulder line) position.

Usually when having time, I go in the back of the gym and take a short 10- to 15 minutes relaxing, or nap, period.

Sounds like a Serge Nubret type of workout as I understand he would train and go back and sleep get up and train again a great physique he had RIP.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6082 on: April 25, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »
Yesterday

Glad you finally made it down here, friend.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6083 on: April 25, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
Montague:

Just remembered the "Y" board this morning, while visiting the Dead Zone.   AKA...The Training Q & A board.

You know, the board with the few dumb and dumber taking over, along with their kiss of the asses of each other. Where if you might have a different view, or slant, on training than theirs, than you become  arrogant and a know it all...if by magic.

Than there's the fragile & sensitive little guy who really may be on the verge of needing emotional help.....very, very soon. Sad part is, the few mentally challenged over there believe most of his BS.

Most of the gentleman who come to the TQ&A are great and interested in training.  Just the few with cripple egos are taking the site to shit heaven. Sort of like the Pumpster era, when people avoided that site at all cost. Glad the "Y" board is meant to be more open and free to expression.   I hope.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6084 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
It's very relaxed here with good posters, constructive discussions, and a bit of humor.

I was able to train this morning. Did legs:

3 sets of walking lunges with a barbell,
5 sets of lying hamstring curls - pyramided,
4 sets of seated hamstring curls,
3 sets of machine hack squats

No calf work; right medial soleous has been cramping up on me some the last few days.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6085 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
It's very relaxed here with good posters, constructive discussions, and a bit of humor.

I was able to train this morning. Did legs:

3 sets of walking lunges with a barbell,
5 sets of lying hamstring curls pyramided,
4 sets of seated hamstring curls,
3 sets of machine hack squats

No calf work; right medial soleous has been cramping up on me some the last few days.

I threw my back out once doing Hacks.   Horrible feeling - was really fucked for about 3 weeks

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6086 on: April 25, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
I threw my back out once doing Hacks.   Horrible feeling - was really fucked for about 3 weeks

Did you descend too fast?
Too much weight?
Fluke?

I use light weight, heels together, toes pointed laterally/outward (a bit like Tom Platz) I lower slowly WAY past parallel - in fact, the sled will sometimes bottom out, hitting the frame. I then drive forcefully through my heels stopping maybe about an inch shy of lockout. I also flex my abs hard and keep them as tight as I can throughout the set.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6087 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

Did you descend too fast?
Too much weight?
Fluke?

I use light weight, heels together, toes pointed laterally/outward (a bit like Tom Platz) I lower slowly WAY past parallel - In fact, the sled will sometimes bottom out, hitting the frame. I then drive forcefully through my heels stopping maybe about an inch shy of lockout.

I had 3 plates on each side.  Dont remember what i did wrong - but i felt paralyzed for a 2 weeks before it let up erven a little

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6088 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
I had 3 plates on each side.  Dont remember what i did wrong - but i felt paralyzed for a 2 weeks before it let up erven a little

You still do them?

Do you wear a belt for any leg work?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6089 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »
Actual ham curls have been known to influence the calf's a bit. Heels together sounds like the old Vince Gironda Hack machine style. He called it the frog version or something like that.....knees way out.

BB Hacks have been my favorite leg exercise for years. I think of it as a reverse DL, without the over involvement of the lower back and more inline with the upper body as you lift...not like the DL and trying to avoid the knees.
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6090 on: April 25, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »

You still do them?

Do you wear a belt for any leg work?

No and no. 

Been doing mostly dumbbell cicuits until i reach about 190-192lbs.    Then i will work on strength mainly - probably next year or after November

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6091 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »
Actual ham curls have been known to influence the calf's a bit. Heels together sounds like the old Vince Gironda Hack machine style. He called it the frog version or something like that.....knees way out.

BB Hacks have been my favorite leg exercise for years. I think of it as a reverse DL, without the over involvement of the lower back and more inline with the upper body as you lift...not like the DL and trying to avoid the knees.

Yes sir, that's exactly how I do them - knees out. I never thought of the frog comparison, but it is a good analogy.
A friend of mine, who is a huge, powerful, old-school veteran lifter, has done sissy-style squats on the hack machine. Obviously, he used a very light weight.

I tried barbell hacks once at the end of last summer. I don't know if I did them wrong, or if my body mechanics aren't suited for them, but it felt like the bar was dragging "into" my legs instead of along them. They felt great on my lower back, and I was surprised that the weight I used felt as light as it did.
Conventional dead-lifts don't bother me as far as the bar drag on the legs, but I didn't care for the hacks.

Any tips?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6092 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
No and no.  

Been doing mostly dumbbell cicuits until i reach about 190-192lbs.    Then i will work on strength mainly - probably next year or after November

By then, you will likely be ready for a change, anyway. I know I couldn't train for Spartan races year-round.
Has your GF gotten into any of this?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6093 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »

Yes sir, that's exactly how I do them - knees out. I never thought of the frog comparison, but it is a good analogy.
A friend of mine, who is a huge, powerful, old-school veteran lifter, has done sissy-style squats on the hack machine. Obviously, he used a very light weight.

I tried barbell hacks once at the end of last summer. I don't know if I did them wrong, or if my body mechanics aren't suited for them, but it felt like the bar was dragging "into" my legs instead of along them. They felt great on my lower back, and I was surprised that the weight I used felt as light as it did.
Conventional dead-lifts don't bother me as far as the bar drag on the legs, but I didn't care for the hacks.

Any tips?
Try the hack barbell squats with heels on a 1 inch board or heels on a 10 inch plate it will take pressure off the dragging on the hamstrings.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6094 on: April 25, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »

By then, you will likely be ready for a change, anyway. I know I couldn't train for Spartan races year-round.
Has your GF gotten into any of this?

Not yet.  I'm not going to force it on her.  Hey check this out.  

http://spartanrace.tv/?v=CitiField

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6095 on: April 25, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
Try the hack barbell squats with heels on a 1 inch board or heels on a 10 inch plate it will take pressure off the dragging on the hamstrings.

Hey, wanna have some fun?
Mention doing this on the Training board. You'll see atomic meltdowns and receive threats of physical harm! ;)

Seriously, I've been contemplating buying a pair of Olympic lifting shoes for certain movements like hi-pulls and hang cleans. I never thought of trying an elevated heel solution for bb hacks. I may give it a go next leg day.

Thanks!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6096 on: April 25, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
Not yet.  I'm not going to force it on her.  Hey check this out.  

http://spartanrace.tv/?v=CitiField

Yeah, something like that is only enjoyable if you WANT to do it.

Is that video from the one you did?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6097 on: April 25, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »

Yeah, something like that is only enjoyable if you WANT to do it.

Is that video from the one you did?

Yes.  That dude at the end looks PED no?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6098 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
Mr Nobody is correct with that good advice about the raised heels.

Would usually suggest a 2" board (1 5/8 actually) or a pair of 45's. Sets the body more inline with the BB Hack lift. But if 1" works for you, than great. Going to put some extra focus on the quads (raised heels) and less stress on the lower back.

Dragging into, or brushing the hams, can be an annoyance for some guy's...but that raising of the heels thing may help.I find the more upright (spine/lower back/shoulders)the less bother with the bar hitting the hams. For me, either flat of raises works. Probably due to body types again, like when doing  regular DL's of squats.  Which in truth, some body types are just not designed to do...at least when getting into more serious weight.

Think men's fitness magazine can be the main source on information on the TQ&A board.
F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6099 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »

Hey, wanna have some fun?
Mention doing this on the Training board. You'll see atomic meltdowns and receive threats of physical harm! ;)

Seriously, I've been contemplating buying a pair of Olympic lifting shoes for certain movements like hi-pulls and hang cleans. I never thought of trying an elevated heel solution for bb hacks. I may give it a go next leg day.

Thanks!
I got over 28k posts been in many fights now just keep low key unless challenged or get asked questions on training. Give the elevated a heels a try.