Author Topic: The Y board lifting thread  (Read 2037957 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: The Y board lifting thread.
« Reply #6100 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
Yes.  That dude at the end looks PED no?

It's so hard to tell just from looking. Individual genetics, response to training, response to drugs...I've known guys you would think "definitely" take shit, but don't, and vice versa. I never try to guess. He certainly looks good, though.

Do you know him?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6101 on: April 25, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »

It's so hard to tell just from looking. Individual genetics, response to training, response to drugs...I've known guys you would think "definitely" take shit, but don't, and vice versa. I never try to guess. He certainly looks good, though.

Do you know him?

No - but did you see some of the chicks?  Like the one in blue w the huge tits?  There are thousands and thousands like that

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6102 on: April 25, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
Mr Nobody is correct with that good advice about the raised heels.

Would usually suggest a 2" board (1 5/8 actually) or a pair of 45's. Sets the body more inline with the BB Hack lift. But if 1" works for you, than great. Going to put some extra focus on the quads (raised heels) and less stress on the lower back.

Dragging into, or brushing the hams, can be an annoyance for some guy's...but that raising of the heels thing may help.I find the more upright (spine/lower back/shoulders)the less bother with the bar hitting the hams. For me, either flat of raises works. Probably due to body types again, like when doing  regular DL's of squats.  Which in truth, some body types are just not designed to do...at least when getting into more serious weight.

Think men's fitness magazine can be the main source on information on the TQ&A board.

I'll give them a few more tries employing some variations. If I remember, I believe the bar wanted to hit my hammies too early, as in my legs were too bent yet to allow me past a certain point. I wonder if it could be because my legs are rather long in proportion to my torso and arms.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6103 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I got over 28k posts been in many fights now just keep low key unless challenged or get asked questions on training. Give the elevated a heels a try.

Definitely!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6104 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
I got over 28k 29k posts been in many fights now just keep low key unless challenged or get asked questions on training. Give the elevated a heels a try.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6105 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
No - but did you see some of the chicks?  Like the one in blue w the huge tits?  There are thousands and thousands like that

Yes, I was going to remark on the respectable number of wenches present.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6106 on: April 25, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
I got over 28k 29k posts been in many fights now just keep low key unless challenged or get asked questions on training. Give the elevated a heels a try.

Technically, both are correct.
 ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #6107 on: April 25, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »

I'll give them a few more tries employing some variations. If I remember, I believe the bar wanted to hit my hammies too early, as in my legs were too bent yet to allow me past a certain point. I wonder if it could be because my legs are rather long in proportion to my torso and arms.
You must hold the deltoids back during the movement a consious effort to do this then stand on about a half in board or plates dont pull with the biceps, I never have a problem I'm 6'2".

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6108 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
You must hold the deltoids back during the movement a consious effort to do this then stand on about a half in board or plates dont pull with the biceps, I never have a problem I'm 6'2".

Hey, you may be onto something! I do have a bad tendency to round my shoulders. I'm okay with lifting movements because I make the effort, but my natural posture is borderline kyphotic. I'll get somebody to watch me and keep an eye on that, specifically.

Thanks again, brother!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6109 on: April 25, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
I still speculate that if my arms were a bit longer, then my legs could/would straighten more before the point at which my hammies obstruct the bar.

I'm still going to try your suggestions.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6110 on: April 25, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
I still speculate that if my arms were a bit longer, then my legs could/would straighten more before the point at which my hammies obstruct the bar.

I'm still going to try your suggestions.
Give it a try they may drag the hams a bit on the last reps but putting your heels up and keeping deltoids back are the key.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6111 on: April 25, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
The Top 5 benefits of Alternative Locomotion Movements (aka Animal Movements):  Part II

by Joe Di Stefano of Spartan Coaching

Eliciting a more balanced training effect.

“Body weight training” not so long ago was synonymous with doing a whole bunch of push ups and sit ups each night in front of the TV. Occasionally including chin ups for some but let’s face it most either did not have access to a chin up bar, did an entirely imbalanced ratio of push ups and sit ups to chin ups, or simply couldn’t do a single chin up so focused on the other two…as for legs, they either got the total shaft or were taken care of by “running”. Today “Body Weight” training for most has evolved, improved, and got a little more balanced but still many people do not balance the program anatomically. There are those that do of course, but sometimes only after incorporating outside equipment such as suspension trainers or other implements that continue to isolate specific movements or combinations.

Alternative locomotion, or animal movements, allow us to utilize the entire body in an athletic, fluid manner that forces all of the muscles to work as a single system. This helps us avoid a need to work the back, the middle, the top and the bottom which tends to develop “mirror muscles” but can actually impede athleticism and coordination while increasing injury potential in unforeseen or untrained scenarios, i.e. any Spartan event.

At the start of Day 2 of a recent SGX Workshop, where Day 1 included multiple workouts using Crab Walks, Ape Walks and some Bear Crawls all the trainers could talk about was how sore their butts, inner thighs, upper and mid back muscles were. How often is that the case in bootcamp?! People are almost always universally sore in the chest, shoulders, quads and abs! This makes it clear that our effectiveness to work the “anterior” or frontside, of the body far outweighs our ability to work the “posterior” of the body. In fact, the postural adaptations discussed in the previous post along with a human body that is incredibly efficient at compensation, most of us tend to use all the same muscles in almost everything they do! Which also explains why people literally “forget” how to squat, lunge, or pick something up yet can “relearn” simply without stretching a single muscle once they switch on some of those dormant muscle groups.

Since the posterior side of the body is ultimately the side of the body whose strength and function will dictates head to toe injury potential, it is critically important to incorporate training that trains it efficiently and in synergy with the rest of the body it is designed to protect.

A Spartan WOD on Motion by Spartan Coaches Part II

All motion is cyclic. It circulates to the limits of its possibilities and then returns to its starting point.

—Robert Collier

Cover 1 mile for time carrying a sand bag, dumbbell, or Lowe’s bucket full of sand or rocks.

Then:

Crab Walk, 50 ft

Sideways Ape Walk, 50 ft (left)

Sideways Ape Walk, 50 ft (right)

Reverse Crab Walk, 50 ft

Rest 1 minute, Repeat 3-5 times, then:

Match your previous 1 mile time from the warm up.

Lateral Ape: Beginning in a bear crawl position, “push” yourself backwards until your feet are flat on the floor and you are in a deep squat and “hands free” position. Now reach both arms to one side and shift as much of your weight into them as possible. Maintain this pressure as you “hop” your legs to that side. Continue in a fluid pattern and repeat on the opposing direction.

Tags: Spartan Coaches, spartan training

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6112 on: April 25, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
Rack Pulls

DB Rows

Chest Supported Rows

Shrugs
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6113 on: April 25, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »
Lateral Ape: Beginning in a bear crawl position, “push” yourself backwards until your feet are flat on the floor and you are in a deep squat and “hands free” position. Now reach both arms to one side and shift as much of your weight into them as possible. Maintain this pressure as you “hop” your legs to that side. Continue in a fluid pattern and repeat on the opposing direction.

And you're worried about how you look using a foam roller?
 :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6114 on: April 25, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
15 minutes of dumbbell circuits

150lb kettleball tug o war pulls x 10 

10burpees - 20 pushups - 5 pull ups - 10 burpees      x 5 sets 

10 squats - 20 pushups - 5 pull ups - 10 burpees      x 5 sets 

50 flutter kicks  - 15 sit ups - 15 leg raises    x 3 sets

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6115 on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
Walk 1.65 miles to Gym
Shrugs
Upright Rows
30 min Elliptical
Walk 1.65 miles to work

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6116 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
Walk 1.65 miles to Gym
Shrugs
Upright Rows
30 min Elliptical
Walk 1.65 miles to work

Lose your license?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6117 on: April 25, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
Lose your license?
Hah!!!

While I can see why you would ask ME that... and believe me... I would too I suppose. That is not the case.

I'm trying to lean out so I have decided to up the cardio and I figured that a good way to do it would be to get in some extra miles to and from.

So the round trip brings my overall mileage to about 5.5 miles including cardio.

It seems to be working as I've lost 3 pounds in the past week and 1/2. I shall continue this for some time and see how things go.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6118 on: April 26, 2013, 05:50:17 AM »
Hah!!!

While I can see why you would ask ME that... and believe me... I would too I suppose. That is not the case.

I'm trying to lean out so I have decided to up the cardio and I figured that a good way to do it would be to get in some extra miles to and from.

So the round trip brings my overall mileage to about 5.5 miles including cardio.

It seems to be working as I've lost 3 pounds in the past week and 1/2. I shall continue this for some time and see how things go.

:D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6119 on: April 26, 2013, 05:52:41 AM »
Hah!!!

The good thing about that is unless you are real fat ass and call a cab - you have no choice but to walk back. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6120 on: April 26, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
The good thing about that is unless you are real fat ass and call a cab - you have no choice but to walk back. 

Yeah and I'm not a lazy sob, so it's been working. Take a few thermos and hit it.

Like I said, just the difference has been good.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6121 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
Does Calvin even lift anymore?

Power Cleans
Single arm db laterals
Barbells Curls
Skull Crushers

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6122 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
DB Press/DB Side Lat/DB Rear Delt SSx3

Press/Side/Rear Delt Machines SSx3

Bi/Tri giant set
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6123 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
20 minutes of meandering around the gym doing different bullshit

10 minutes abs

10 sets on the rowing machine   500 meters under 2 minutes

5 minutes abs

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #6124 on: April 26, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
Preacher curl ladder up and ladder down 7 sets 10-12 reps

Dumbel standing curls 7 sets 10-12 reps ladder

Nose breakers and face overs ladder up and ladder down 7 sets 10-12 reps

Calf raises sitting 4 sets 20 reps standing same total 8 sets

Mixing sets between all three P curls then nose then calf then dumbel curs then face then calf etc

Off to showers

By ladder I mean weight goes up to max set 4 then down to set 7