Author Topic: Convicted Utah killer to face firing squad  (Read 1776 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Convicted Utah killer to face firing squad
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
He gets an "A" for originality.   :)

Convicted Utah killer to face firing squad
Ronnie Lee Gardner signaled his preference before Utah all but banned the practice in 2004
April 23, 2010|By Kim Murphy, Los Angeles Times
A Utah inmate facing the death penalty for a violent 1985 escape attempt is scheduled to die on June 18 by firing squad, an execution method that has been phased out in nearly every state, including Utah.

Ronnie Lee Gardner elected Friday to face a firing squad under a provision of state law that exempts five death row inmates who signaled their preference to die by firing squad before Utah all but banned the old, frontier-style practice in 2004.

"I would like the firing squad, please," Gardner, 49, told District Judge Robin Reese during Friday's hearing in Salt Lake City.

The case has renewed calls among death penalty opponents in Utah for an end to executions by all methods, and particularly those by firing squad.

"Even Utah has decided that it's so barbaric that it actually is no longer an option for people sentenced to death today," said Ralph Dellapiana, death penalty project director for High Road for Human Rights, one of a coalition of death penalty opponents in Utah.

"It's kind of a shock to the community when there's actually going to be somebody put up against a wall and killed," he said.

Utah is the only state that still actively uses firing squads. A state law in 2004 ruled out such executions except if death by lethal injection is found to be unconstitutional. Oklahoma has a similar provision, but that state allows firing squads only if both lethal injection and electrocution are ruled unconstitutional.

"In the future, convicted felons will not have a choice," Utah State Rep. Sheryl Allen, a Republican who carried the 2004 legislation, said in an interview. "Number one, I believe it should be the decision of the state, and not the executed criminal; and number two, the firing squad just attracts an inordinate amount of attention. Execution is unfortunate, period, but in this case people concentrate on the method, rather than the victims."

Tom Brunker, head of the state attorney general's capital punishment appeals section, said death by firing squad would still be allowed if the U.S. Supreme Court declared lethal injection unconstitutional on its face, or if a defendant with medical constraints connected to lethal injection successfully argued that it would be unconstitutional to force him to undergo the procedure.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/23/nation/la-na-firing-squad-20100424

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Convicted Utah killer to face firing squad
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »
How could lethal injection be considered unconstitutional... while a firing squad is not?  ???

For that matter... how could the death penalty itself NOT be considered unconstitutional?
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:46:19 AM »
Please just leave already.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:47:57 AM »
By firing squad?  That's great!  Like the good old days, we need more stuff like this!  8)
S

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
Does whether or not it's considered constitutional even matter? The guy chose it himself. Perhaps he should have given the courthouse employee he murdered in cold blood that same choice.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »
Does whether or not it's considered constitutional even matter? The guy chose it himself. Perhaps he should have given the courthouse employee he murdered in cold blood that same choice.

we should find out what kind he doesn't want and then give him that one

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
X2

Who cares about how it's done, as long as it's done. If that's the way he chooses to go out, so be it, bullets are cheaper than that cocktail of drugs.

I would volunteer to be on the firing squad, but I don't know who to contact.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
S

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »
How could lethal injection be considered unconstitutional... while a firing squad is not?  ???

For that matter... how could the death penalty itself NOT be considered unconstitutional?
anything could be deemed cruel and unusual punishment and therefor unconstitutional it just depends have much of a bleeding heart liberal you are... ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V

Alex23

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »

The eternal why the fuck you care.. you live in canada so your opinion is nor requested or relevant.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
WOW DUDE!!! talk about obsessed stalking... :o

hardly

just search by the word "execution" by Nancy

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
The eternal why the fuck you care.. you live in canada so your opinion is nor requested or relevant.

X2

I always get a kick out of forgeiners thinking their opinions should mean shit to Americans. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Alex23

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
X2

I always get a kick out of forgeiners thinking their opinions should mean shit to Americans. ;D

The irony is it's virtually impossible to get yourself in a winner mindset while living in a shit hole babysitting country.

Shit, the man committed the crime, he wants to die with dignity challenging lead and/or brass to the death.

It's the American way.

we don't judge you for paying 16.5% in sales taxes and 48.5% in effective income tax rate so back the fuck off and let us prosper even more.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »
I agree with you on this, BB is constantly posting about executions, and the way he physically disciplines his kids.  :-\

What??  lol.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »
X2

Who cares about how it's done, as long as it's done. If that's the way he chooses to go out, so be it, bullets are cheaper than that cocktail of drugs.

I would volunteer to be on the firing squad, but I don't know who to contact.

Yep. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
WOW DUDE!!! talk about obsessed stalking... :o

LOL!  Yes, Pedo definitely has a crush on me.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »
LOL!  Yes, Pedo definitely has a crush on me.   :)

It's weird that you would call me a Pedo when you advocate showering with young boys (FACT)

What's your fascination with executions.

From your posting on this site your 4 main areas of interest are:  Prayer, Abortion, Executions and ANYTHING gay related

Kind of a weird mix for a devout christian such as yourself.

btw - where did you go when you were absent from the board for the last six months

Any truth to the rumor I heard that you were in jail for sodomizing your neighbors dog

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
It's weird that you would call me a Pedo when you advocate showering with young boys (FACT)

What's your fascination with executions.

From your posting on this site your 4 main areas of interest are:  Prayer, Abortion, Executions and ANYTHING gay related

Kind of a weird mix for a devout christian such as yourself.

btw - where did you go when you were absent from the board for the last six months

Any truth to the rumor I heard that you were in jail for sodomizing your neighbors dog

Listen Pedo, quit stalking me.  If you want to contribute to discussions, then do so.  Or you can simply go to the alphabet boards. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
"The post office is doing great" 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
"The post office is doing great" 
"its not hypocritical if youre ok with them making fun of you for doing it too"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »
Killer executed by Utah firing squad
June 18, 2010

Draper, Utah (CNN) -- Convicted killer Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed early Friday by firing squad, the Utah Department of Corrections said.

Gardner, 49, is only the third person in 33 years to die by firing squad in the United States.

He was killed at 12:20 a.m. MST (2:20 a.m. ET), a Corrections Department spokesman said.

A hood was placed over Gardner's head and a paper target pinned to his chest. He was heavily restrained as a five-person firing squad took aim at the target and shot him, witnesses said.

Journalists who witnessed the shooting said it happend quickly. One reporter said she noticed that Gardner moved after he was shot.

"It was over pretty quickly," said Cheryl Worsley, a local radio reporter. "It was cleaner than I expected. It was fast. But he moved. He moved a little bit, and to some degree that bothers me."

Outside the prison in Draper Utah, there was a candlelight vigil attended by members of Gardner's family.

"He did things bad in the past, but now he realizes what he did and he changed the last couple of years," said his granddaughter Darian Gardner, breaking into tears. "I got to know him the last couple of years. It sucks when you have to say goodbye to someone that is like your best friend."

The execution came after Gardner's last-ditch efforts to save himself had failed.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a request Thursday to temporarily stay the execution. Utah Gov. Gary Herbert rejected two appeals by Gardner's attorneys to stop the execution, saying he had every chance to present his case.

Gardner, 49, was convicted for the shooting death of attorney Michael Burdell during a botched escape attempt from custody in 1985 at a Salt Lake City, Utah, courthouse.

Among the claims Gardner raised in his appeals is that he has been a death-row inmate for too long.

"He asserts that executing him now, after nearly 25 years on death-row in Utah, so lacks retributive or deterrent value that it violates the Eighth Amendment," Andrew Parnes, Gardner's lawyer, told the high court.

A federal judge late Tuesday declined to block the execution, after Gardner claimed the procedures related to a two-day commutation hearing held by the state Board of Pardons and Parole last week violated his civil rights. The parole board Monday declined to commute Gardner's sentence to life in prison, and the Utah Supreme Court on Tuesday also denied his request for a stay.

Gardner was the third person to die by rifle fire, all in Utah, since the Supreme Court restored the death penalty in 1976. He had a long history of escapes and was slipped a gun before he fatally shot Burdell on April 2, 1985. He was at the courthouse for a pre-trial hearing in the 1984 slaying of Melvyn Otterstrom, who was killed at the Salt Lake City bar where he was working to earn extra money.

Corrections officials announced Gardner had consumed his last meal Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m., and chose to fast prior to the anticipated execution. His dinner included steak, lobster, 7-Up, apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/18/utah.firing.squad/?hpt=Sbin

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »
paper target on his chest is pretty funny haha.

yeah, he's gonna move a little bit... a head shot would put lights out fast.  center mass/heart... you'll have a second or two until hydraulic shutdown.

I'd take that over electrocution.  I dont think I'd like the needle much either.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
paper target on his chest is pretty funny haha.

yeah, he's gonna move a little bit... a head shot would put lights out fast.  center mass/heart... you'll have a second or two until hydraulic shutdown.

I'd take that over electrocution.  I dont think I'd like the needle much either.

I love needles.