Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 983402 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #1100 on: April 14, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
I think we're splitting hairs. The example I gave should indicate that kind of behavior isn't tolerated by the chain of command. That it happens from time to time even when the culture is changing is true, however I think you and I agree that the only way to change it is to send a clear message that it will not be tolerated. I know of many examples where cops reported bad behavior on other cops and the statistics of our I.A. bears that out. The LAST thing a department wants is cops violating peoples rights and breaking the law. The last thing most cops want is that very same thing. And I didn't conveniently leave  anything out, the fact 2 other cops were also suspended for it just supports my position. I was making a point that the department doesn't tolerate that behavior.   

No it wasn't.  In fact you started off your post trying to group the Blue Wall in with things that don't exist.

3 cops covering for a bad 4th cop.  The Blue Wall is tall and strong.

Just because they caught this time, doesn't mean it's going away.

As for the leadership, in this case, yes I think they did a good job and we're open with the public.  They put the memos out for everyone and carefully explained what happened and why people were disciplined.  My only criticism would be that investigators outside the department should handle it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1101 on: April 14, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »

No it wasn't.  In fact you started off your post trying to group the Blue Wall in with things that don't exist.

3 cops covering for a bad 4th cop.  The Blue Wall is tall and strong.

Just because they caught this time, doesn't mean it's going away.

As for the leadership, in this case, yes I think they did a good job and we're open with the public.  They put the memos out for everyone and carefully explained what happened and why people were disciplined.  My only criticism would be that investigators outside the department should handle it.

It must be the perception you have that the police lack the ability to investigate police. I've found it to be in cases I have  direct knowledge of  that the police investigators were harder on the police officers in the interviews. In some cases, to the point of badgering and leading questions in my opinion. Ultimately the determination is left to the chain of command to decide and the investigators are fact gatherers. I don't think, based on my direct knowledge that at my department police get an easier time with police investigators. We also have an Office of Police Monitor that sits in on the interviews and monitors the case to make sure the public gets a fair shake. Probably not that way everywhere.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1102 on: April 14, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1103 on: April 14, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/14/trayvon-martin-shooting-target_n_3079566.html

LOL!!!! Stupid idiot.   LOL!!!

I tell my subordinates never put your career in the hands of the brass. In other words, don't do things that will let your career hinge on the decision of the brass. This guy, whether he is telling the complete truth in his video or not, didn't follow that advice and he has paid the price.     

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1104 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
It must be the perception you have that the police lack the ability to investigate police. I've found it to be in cases I have  direct knowledge of  that the police investigators were harder on the police officers in the interviews. In some cases, to the point of badgering and leading questions in my opinion. Ultimately the determination is left to the chain of command to decide and the investigators are fact gatherers. I don't think, based on my direct knowledge that at my department police get an easier time with police investigators. We also have an Office of Police Monitor that sits in on the interviews and monitors the case to make sure the public gets a fair shake. Probably not that way everywhere.   

Hell, if true, that's even more of a reason.  The process should be as fair and objective as possible.  It should also avoid the 'appearance' of impropriety.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1105 on: April 15, 2013, 03:57:46 AM »

Hell, if true, that's even more of a reason.  The process should be as fair and objective as possible.  It should also avoid the 'appearance' of impropriety.

I agree, but simply having police officers assigned to a detail that investigates policy violations allegations of other police officers in and of itself doesn't rise to the level of "appearance" of impropriety in my opinion. But for those who do have the opinion that police officers cannot be impartial when investigating other police officers, we've added the Office of Police Monitor as oversight.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1106 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:12 AM »
Twenty-five miles due south of Salt Lake City, a massive construction project is nearing completion.  The heavily secured site belongs to the National Security Agency.

"The spy center" -- that's what some of the locals like Jasmine Widmer, who works at Bluffdale's sandwich shop, told our Fox News team as part of an eight month investigation into data collection and privacy rights that will be broadcast Sunday at 9 p.m. ET called "Fox News Reporting: Your Secrets Out.”

The NSA says the Utah Data Center is a facility for the intelligence community that will have a major focus on cyber security. The agency will neither confirm nor deny specifics. Some published reports suggest it could hold 5 zettabytes of data. (Just one zettabyte is the equivalent of about 62 billion stacked iPhones 5's-- that stretches past the moon.

One man we hoped would answer our questions, the current director of the NSA General Keith Alexander, declined Fox News's requests to sit down for an interview, so we stopped by the offices of a Washington think tank, where Alexander was speaking at a cyber security event last year.

Asked if the Utah Data Center would hold the data of American citizens,  Alexander said, "No...we don't hold data on U.S. citizens," adding that the NSA staff "take protecting your civil liberties and privacy as the most important thing that they do, and securing this nation."

But critics, including former NSA employees, say the data center is front and center in the debate over liberty, security and privacy.

"[It] raises the most serious questions about the vast amount of data that could be kept in one place for many, many different sources,"  Thomas Drake told Fox News. 

Drake -- who worked at the NSA from Aug. 2001 to Aug. 2008 and was unsuccessfully prosecuted on espionage charges -- says Americans should be concerned about letting the government go too far in the name of security.

"It's in secret so you don't really know," Drake explained. "It's benign, right. If I haven't -- and if I haven't done anything wrong it doesn't matter. The only way you can have perfect security is have a perfect surveillance state. That's George Orwell. That's 1984. That's what that would look like."

Fellow NSA whistleblower Bill Binney, who worked at the NSA for nearly four decades, says it's about the possibility that the government's stunning new capacity to collect, store and analyze data could be abused.

"It's really a-- turnkey situation, where it could be turned quickly and become a totalitarian state pretty quickly," he said. "The capacities to do that is being set up. Now it's a question of if we get the wrong person in office, or if certain people set up their network internally in government, they could make that happen quickly."

According to NSA's chief compliance officer John Delong, whose job is to make sure the laws and policies designed to protect the privacy of U.S. persons is being enforced, part of the frustration is that the rules are specific and secret.

"I think that's sort of the collision, is you have classified rules," DeLong explained during an hour long meeting with Fox News at the NSA. "You now have a somewhat more public data center," 

"These aren't just, like, general policy pronouncements of 'You shall protect privacy.'" he said. 

DeLong added that another misconception is that there is only internal oversight, when he says there is "a tremendous amount of external oversight" from the Justice Department, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and others.

In an email, Vanee' Vines, a public information officer for the NSA, said that the Utah Data Center will be "a state-of-the-art facility designed to support the Intelligence Community’s efforts to further strengthen and protect the nation. NSA is the executive agent for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, and will be the lead agency at the center.”

Because the Utah Data Center is a "secure facility" and you cannot go inside without the needed security clearances, Fox News rented a helicopter and took to the skies, where the depth and breadth of the Utah Center were stunning.

The aerial video footage is exclusive to the Fox News investigation and posted here.  Two weeks after our filming, the helicopter pilot reported to our Fox News team that he had been visited by the FBI on a "national security matter."

The pilot said, according to the FBI agents, that the NSA had taken photos of the helicopter once it made several flyovers.  These photos allowed the NSA to identify the make and manufacturer of the helicopter in California who, in turn, told the NSA who operates it in the Salt Lake City area.

The FBI wanted to know if we had the proper air space clearances to flyover the site, which the Fox News team did.   Satisfied that the pilot was not flying "terrorists" over the site, the questioning concluded.  While the pilot passed along the Fox News contact information, there was no further inquiries.

Binney said the helicopter incident "showed the capability of the U.S. government to use information to trace people, their relationship to others and to raise suspicions about their activities and intentions."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/12/nsa-data-center-front-and-center-in-debate-over-liberty-security-and-privacy/#ixzz2QX655gwm

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1108 on: April 20, 2013, 05:00:42 AM »
8th grade student suspended, arrested over gun t-shirt

Posted: Apr 18, 2013 11:17 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 19, 2013 4:27 PM EDT
By Charlo Greene - email

Most Popular Stories
Questions remain unanswered for 8th grade student arrested over shirt
POLICE: Man charged with beating incapacitated wife
State Police searching for two men involved in armed robbery in Fort Gay
Deputies: Institute volunteer firefighter arrested for seducing child online
Charleston Police investigating man found beaten in alleyway

When 8th grade Jared Marcum got dressed for school on Thursday he says he had no idea that his pro-Second Amendment shirt would initiate what he calls a fight over his First Amendment rights.

"I never thought it would go this far because honestly I don't see a problem with this, there shouldn't be a problem with this," Jared said.

It was the image of a gun printed on Jared's t-shirt that sparked a dispute between a Logan Middle School teacher and Jared, that ended with Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record.

Jared's father Allen Lardieri says he's angry he had to rush from work to pick his son up from jail over something he says was blown way out of proportion.

"I don't' see how anybody would have an issue with a hunting rifle and NRA put on a t-shirt, especially when policy doesn't forbid it," Lardieri said.

The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

"He did not violate any school policy," Lardieri reiterates.  "He did not become aggressive."

Now, Lardieri says he's ready to fight until the situation is made right.

"I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again," Lardieri said.

Logan City Police did confirm that Jared had been arrested and charged today.

13 news tried contacting the Logan County School District but has not heard anything back.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1109 on: April 20, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
8th grade student suspended, arrested over gun t-shirt

Posted: Apr 18, 2013 11:17 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 19, 2013 4:27 PM EDT
By Charlo Greene - email

Most Popular Stories
Questions remain unanswered for 8th grade student arrested over shirt
POLICE: Man charged with beating incapacitated wife
State Police searching for two men involved in armed robbery in Fort Gay
Deputies: Institute volunteer firefighter arrested for seducing child online
Charleston Police investigating man found beaten in alleyway

When 8th grade Jared Marcum got dressed for school on Thursday he says he had no idea that his pro-Second Amendment shirt would initiate what he calls a fight over his First Amendment rights.

"I never thought it would go this far because honestly I don't see a problem with this, there shouldn't be a problem with this," Jared said.

It was the image of a gun printed on Jared's t-shirt that sparked a dispute between a Logan Middle School teacher and Jared, that ended with Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record.

Jared's father Allen Lardieri says he's angry he had to rush from work to pick his son up from jail over something he says was blown way out of proportion.

"I don't' see how anybody would have an issue with a hunting rifle and NRA put on a t-shirt, especially when policy doesn't forbid it," Lardieri said.

The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

"He did not violate any school policy," Lardieri reiterates.  "He did not become aggressive."

Now, Lardieri says he's ready to fight until the situation is made right.

"I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again," Lardieri said.

Logan City Police did confirm that Jared had been arrested and charged today.

13 news tried contacting the Logan County School District but has not heard anything back.

and more... probably political content

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1112 on: April 23, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95475&page=1

A 61-year-old man was shot to death by

police while his wife was handcuffed in another room during a drug

raid on the wrong house.

Police admitted their mistake, saying faulty information from a drug informant contributed to the death of John Adams Wednesday night. They intended to raid the home next door.

The two officers, 25-year-old Kyle Shedran and 24-year-old Greg Day, were placed on administrative leave with pay.

“They need to get rid of those men, boys with toys,” said Adams’ 70-year-old widow, Loraine.

John Adams was watching television when his wife heard pounding on the door. Police claim they identified themselves and wore police jackets. Loraine Adams said she had no indication the men were police.

“I thought it was a home invasion. I said ‘Baby, get your gun!,” she said, sitting amid friends and relatives gathered at her home to cook and prepare for Sunday’s funeral.

Resident Fired First

Police say her husband fired first with a sawed-off shotgun and they responded. He was shot at least three times and died later at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.

Loraine Adams said she was handcuffed and thrown to her knees in another room when the shooting began.

“I said, ‘Y’all have got the wrong person, you’ve got the wrong place. What are you looking for?“‘

“We did the best surveillance we could do, and a mistake was made,” Lebanon Police Chief Billy Weeks said. “It’s a very severe mistake, a costly mistake. It makes us look at our own policies and procedures to make sure this never occurs again.” He said, however, the two policemen were not at fault.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is investigating. NAACP officials said they are monitoring the case. Adams was black. The two policemen are white.

Family members did not consider race a factor and Weeks agreed, but said the shooting will be “a major setback” for police relations with the black community.

“We know that, we hope to do everything we can to heal it,” Weeks said.

Johnny Crudup, a local NAACP official, said the organization wanted to make sure and would investigate on its own.

Weeks said he has turned the search warrant and all other evidence over to the bureau of investigation and District Attorney General Tommy Thompson. A command officer must now review all search warrants.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1113 on: April 23, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
An NYU psychology student turned his Manhattan dorm room into an air rifle factory and was arrested on illegal weapons possession raps Monday, law enforcement sources told the Post.

Bernard Goal, 20, was busted after a startled maintenance crew spotted a pair of realistic looking rifles on his bed while he was out and alerted campus security.

Public safety officers swept the Texas native's room and found four more Airsoft weapons that closely resembled AK-47s and a black Colt carbine rifles, sources said.

Goal allegedly assembled the weapons with parts he bought online and sold them for up to $500 each, sources said.

NYPD cops arrested Goal at 2:30 p.m. Monday and hit him with six misdemeanor violations of a local law that prohibits the possession or sale of air rifles and replica firearms, according to a law enforcement source.

The weapons fire pellets through compressed air and are routinely mistaken for actual firearms. They have a range of about 140 to 300 feet and can cause flesh wounds at a close range, sources said.

"It's very scary to know there were guns one floor below me. I had no idea," said one of Goal's co-workers, who described him as pleasant and a hard worker. "But knowing Bernard I'm not scared."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/nyu_student_busted_for_building_1lZqVHYj47McYLAtcHKAWP

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1114 on: April 23, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
"Virtually all voters -- 91 percent -- approve of law enforcement’s handling of the Boston bombings"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/23/fox-news-poll-after-boston-most-approve-government-on-terrorism/#ixzz2RKyx66pW

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1115 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:27 AM »
Sure and for years after 9-11 you had people being all NYPD with their hats and shit... Everyone supports cops during immediate aftermath.

That doesn't make those people who do support it smart, it makes them sheep.

Remember, the Nazi party was supported by 90% of Germany before WWII as well.

Just kills you doesn't it... you can't plead "I don't hate all cops" when you take stands like this.. you are a cop hater Tu... that's ok, you must have your reasons, but please stop pretending you are an average citizen who thinks rationally and open minded.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1116 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Federal Indictment: Gangsters Trade Sex For Favors From Guards In Baltimore Jail
 Friends of Ours ^ | 04/24/13 | Friends of Ours

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:16:26 AM

Apparently some female officers were unable to resist the animal magnetism of their imprisoned wards within a Baltimore city jail.

A "federal grand jury indicted 25 people -- including 13 state correctional officers -- on accusations that they conspired to run operations of the Black Guerilla Family gang inside correctional facilities," and U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein said "correctional officers were in bed with BGF inmates, in violation of the first principle of prison management" as reported by WBAL.

Reputed BGF leader Tavon White apparently admitted over a wiretapped cellphone that "I make every final call in this jail," and while awaiting trial for attempted murder "allegedly had a sexual relationship with four correctional officers -- Jennifer Owens, Katera Stevenson, Chania Brooks and Tiffany Linder -- impregnating all of them at least once," and according to the indictment Owens and Stevenson even "got 'Tavon' tattoos."

The defendants variously are charged with racketeering and other crimes for their alleged roles in a scheme by which "BGF members and associates bribed correctional officers at the Baltimore City Detention Center to smuggle drugs, cellphones and other contraband."

Earlier this month an Orleans parish jail made headlines when videotapes were released which seemingly showed inmates chatting on cellphones, taking drugs and one even playing with a loaded gun as reported by The Times-Picayune.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1117 on: April 24, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
71-Year-Old And Her Daughter To Get $4.2 Million For Being Shot By LAPD

Rebecca Baird-Remba|Apr. 24, 2013, 11:40 AM|1,041|13

The city of Los Angeles is paying out $4.2 million to two women who were accidentally shot by the LAPD during the citywide manhunt for fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were delivering the L.A. Times at 5 a.m. on Feb. 7 when they unintentionally drove down the heavily guarded street in Torrance where one of Dorner's potential targets — an LAPD captain named in Dorner's online manifesto — lived.

Cops allegedly opened fire on the two women driving a blue Toyota pickup, mistaking it for a gray Nissan Titan that Dorner had reportedly been driving.

Carranza, who was driving, escaped with only cuts on her hands, while her mother, sitting in the backseat, was hit twice in the back, according to the L.A. Times. One of the bullets pierced Hernandez's upper back, exited her chest, and barely missed her heart.

"Margie is screaming 'we are being shot at, we are being shot at!'" Glen Jonas, their lawyer, told the Times. "Then she screamed out, 'I am just the newspaper woman, I am the newspaper woman!'"

Neither suffered life-threatening injuries, and both recovered.

LAPD chief Charlie Beck called the incident a "tragic misinterpretation" by officers working under a high level of stress. He personally apologized to the mother and daughter a few days after the shooting and launched an investigation into the officers' conduct, which is ongoing.

SEE ALSO: REPORT: A Tiny 71-Year-Old Woman Was Shot Twice In The Back During The LAPD's Manhunt

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/women-shot-dorner-manhunt-settlement-2013-4#ixzz2RPOToJd1

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1118 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
Did you see what the LA city attorney said?

Trutanich called the agreement a "no brainer because the costs were going to skyrocket."

"We got out of this thing pretty cheaply all things considered," he said.

Well, the cops probably faced far greater danger than those two did, lol.

4.2 million is peanuts.

Just guessing, but half to the lawyer and half to taxes?  Even if it's not taxed, that's just a piss poor settlement.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1119 on: April 27, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Not really... I know a lot of cops... Was even going to be one at one time... Changed my mind when I saw how you don't really do anything.

Were you or were you not a cop? You have said you were

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1120 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
I was... I meant as a true career path. I decided against it.

I was a special police officer. I was a private employee of a company where we were given police powers by the county sheriff's office.

I was not an employee of the county itself, so I do not consider it the exact same thing.

Does that make sense?

Not really but I'll take you at your word.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1121 on: April 27, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »
Sworn in by the county, but not paid by the county.

How is that confusing?

The "Special Police" working for a private company sounds like a Security Guard, who has a limited amount of authority, carries a security guard license. So that part is confusing. What exactly did you do as a Special Policeman?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1122 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »
I policed a 2 mile radius at a entertainment area.

It is actually a sworn officer of the law and I had to go to an actual academy, so no... It's not a security  guard.

I had the power to take their liberty the same as any other police officer. My jurisdiction just happened to be a small area inside of a county.

Sounds interesting.. any website or link where I can get a better idea because it sounds an awful lot like a security officer. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1123 on: April 27, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Do you consider university Police "security guards"?

It is similar. My company didn't advertise the positions externally. You had to be a member of their security staff, then you could apply to be a police officer.

There's even a description on wikipedia for you that describes it pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_police

My jurisdiction was the company property and a 2 mile radius.

Thanks for posting that. I read up on it and understand.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #1124 on: April 27, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
An NYU psychology student turned his Manhattan dorm room into an air rifle factory and was arrested on illegal weapons possession raps Monday, law enforcement sources told the Post.

Bernard Goal, 20, was busted after a startled maintenance crew spotted a pair of realistic looking rifles on his bed while he was out and alerted campus security.

Public safety officers swept the Texas native's room and found four more Airsoft weapons that closely resembled AK-47s and a black Colt carbine rifles, sources said.

Goal allegedly assembled the weapons with parts he bought online and sold them for up to $500 each, sources said.

NYPD cops arrested Goal at 2:30 p.m. Monday and hit him with six misdemeanor violations of a local law that prohibits the possession or sale of air rifles and replica firearms, according to a law enforcement source.

The weapons fire pellets through compressed air and are routinely mistaken for actual firearms. They have a range of about 140 to 300 feet and can cause flesh wounds at a close range, sources said.

"It's very scary to know there were guns one floor below me. I had no idea," said one of Goal's co-workers, who described him as pleasant and a hard worker. "But knowing Bernard I'm not scared."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/nyu_student_busted_for_building_1lZqVHYj47McYLAtcHKAWP

Wow.  This is nuts.  I guess they don't post 24-hour notices to enter where he lives, so he should have kept the goods hidden at all times when he wasn't there.