Author Topic: The Y board lifting thread  (Read 2042815 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: The Y board lifting thread.
« Reply #6250 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
Seated DB Press

DB Side Lat

Rear Delts

Preacher Curls

Abs
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6251 on: May 10, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
You're not a bodybuilder.  Get strong and work the whole body.

I'm a swimmer now, haha. Been doing muay Thai for the better part of a year straight now so there isn't much room for bodybuilding. Maintaining what muscle I had but definitely haven't added any as of late. That coupled with work has led to me slacking off pretty hard in the gym the last 4 or months so.

And to top it off now, trying to get back into it only to lo and behold tweak the hell out of my lower back today squatting for the first time in 2 months due to having rolled my ankle bad, Wasn't able to push off it for a while. Haven't tweaked my back in 4 or 5 years. Think it's from not doing enough core work. Whenever I slack on that it starts to go.

Was looking to get into the 5/3/1 but since I've been slacking so bad I haven't been able to get through a whole week and I just keep resetting the cycles. Figured I'd just go back to what I was doing but maybe knock it down to 3 days.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6252 on: May 10, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
I'm a swimmer now, haha. Been doing muay Thai for the better part of a year straight now so there isn't much room for bodybuilding. Maintaining what muscle I had but definitely haven't added any as of late. That coupled with work has led to me slacking off pretty hard in the gym the last 4 or months so.

And to top it off now, trying to get back into it only to lo and behold tweak the hell out of my lower back today squatting for the first time in 2 months due to having rolled my ankle bad, Wasn't able to push off it for a while. Haven't tweaked my back in 4 or 5 years. Think it's from not doing enough core work. Whenever I slack on that it starts to go.

Was looking to get into the 5/3/1 but since I've been slacking so bad I haven't been able to get through a whole week and I just keep resetting the cycles. Figured I'd just go back to what I was doing but maybe knock it down to 3 days.

Lower back is rough!!!!  Be careful

Fury - if you are into swimming - which is fucking great - and want to do bad ass stuff - check this book out - i refer to it all the time. 

Best 16 bucks you will spend

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Fitness-Edition-Includes/dp/1578262666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368236220&sr=8-1&keywords=stew+smith

I plan on using his 12 weeks to BUDs workout routine before my GoRuck event in September

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6253 on: May 10, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
Lower back is rough!!!!  Be careful

Fury - if you are into swimming - which is fucking great - and want to do bad ass stuff - check this book out - i refer to it all the time. 

Best 16 bucks you will spend

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Fitness-Edition-Includes/dp/1578262666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368236220&sr=8-1&keywords=stew+smith

I plan on using his 12 weeks to BUDs workout routine before my GoRuck event in September

Looks pretty cool. I'll definitely check it out for that price.

Definitely know the lower back, though. I tweaked my sciatic pretty bad junior year of college due to poor form on squats/sldl and trying to be a hero with the amount of weight and it put me out of commission for a while (though I cleared it up in 2 weeks once I started doing ab work after I saw a doc). I haven't been doing much core work the last few months and I'm pretty sure that's why it happened. Anytime I stop doing even just a few sets of crunches every couple days my lower back starts tightening up.

Paying for my laziness.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6254 on: May 10, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »

Definitely know the lower back, though. I tweaked my sciatic pretty bad junior year of college due to poor form on squats/sldl and trying to be a hero with the amount of weight and it put me out of commission for a while (though I cleared it up in 2 weeks once I started doing ab work after I saw a doc). I haven't been doing much core work the last few months and I'm pretty sure that's why it happened. Anytime I stop doing even just a few sets of crunches every couple days my lower back starts tightening up.

Paying for my laziness.

I remember tossing my back out when i was 25 on the hack squat machine - i was out for two weeks.  felt paralyzed.   Horrible. 

Im older than than you and at 38 now i can tell you - injury prevention becomes crucial as you get older.  be careful with your back 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6255 on: May 10, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »
I remember tossing my back out when i was 25 on the hack squat machine - i was out for two weeks.  felt paralyzed.   Horrible. 

Im older than than you and at 38 now i can tell you - injury prevention becomes crucial as you get older.  be careful with your back 

Ever since I did that to my back I've been pretty adamant about warming up and stretching before anything. Rushed into it today, though, as I wasn't working with anywhere near a lot of weight and figured I could get away without it. Happened on my second warm-up set.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6256 on: May 10, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »

Paying for my laziness.

The reviews for the book speak for itself - ajd Stew Smith is a respected bad ass

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6257 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »
Ever since I did that to my back I've been pretty adamant about warming up and stretching before anything. Rushed into it today, though, as I wasn't working with anywhere near a lot of weight and figured I could get away without it. Happened on my second warm-up set.

Does not take much to toss your back out.   Its probably the worst feeling EVER

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6258 on: May 10, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Does not take much to toss your back out.   Its probably the worst feeling EVER

For sure. When it happened in college I remember going back to my dorm where my bed was the top bunk. I somehow made it into it and afterwards I couldn't get out. Took me like 10 minutes to slide myself off the corner and to the ground.

I ended up not lifting for about 6 months. There's posts made by me on here about it buried somewhere. Just kept re-tweaking it. Finally went to an ortho and he gave me a bunch of core exercises to do it and it was cleared up within 2 weeks. I've never been big on direct ab work.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6259 on: May 10, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »
For sure. When it happened in college I remember going back to my dorm where my bed was the top bunk. I somehow made it into it and afterwards I couldn't get out. Took me like 10 minutes to slide myself off the corner and to the ground.

I ended up not lifting for about 6 months. There's posts made by me on here about it buried somewhere. Just kept re-tweaking it. Finally went to an ortho and he gave me a bunch of core exercises to do it and it was cleared up within 2 weeks. I've never been big on direct ab work.

As I get older - i get more and more wary of really pushing heavy weights as the benefit/risk ratio is really skewed.

Tossing my back out a few times when i was a loon was probavbly the worst feeling i ever had 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6260 on: May 10, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
As I get older - i get more and more wary of really pushing heavy weights as the benefit/risk ratio is really skewed.

Tossing my back out a few times when i was a loon was probavbly the worst feeling i ever had 

Ever since I did it I'm kind of hesitant to squat heavy. I've never used a belt or anything (not that I squat huge weight) but it's been fine as long as I'm doing ab work. Lesson learned again. Been 4 or 5 years so I guess I needed a reminder.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6261 on: May 10, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »
Ever since I did it I'm kind of hesitant to squat heavy. I've never used a belt or anything (not that I squat huge weight) but it's been fine as long as I'm doing ab work. Lesson learned again. Been 4 or 5 years so I guess I needed a reminder.

I no longer due hacks or barbell squats - i stick w dumbbels and kettlebells

At 38 and in the best shape i have ever been in - not risking a injury due to ego

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6262 on: May 11, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Felt amazing today

5 sets   -   10 burpees - 10 military press - 1o squats - 2 minutes rowing machine - 1o squats 10 military press 10 burpees

10 sets  -  10 burpees 20 pushups 5 pull ups 10 burpees

5 sets  - rowing machine for 2 minutes for 500 meters

10 minutes abs. 

This workout is a killer

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6263 on: May 11, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
Felt amazing today

5 sets   -   10 burpees - 10 military press - 1o squats - 2 minutes rowing machine - 1o squats 10 military press 10 burpees

10 sets  -  10 burpees 20 pushups 5 pull ups 10 burpees

5 sets  - rowing machine for 2 minutes for 500 meters

10 minutes abs. 

This workout is a killer

What does the 10 minutes abs entail?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6264 on: May 11, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »

What does the 10 minutes abs entail?

Sets of 100 flutter kicks  - 20 leg raise - 20 sit ups  - no rest 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6265 on: May 11, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Sets of 100 flutter kicks  - 20 leg raise - 20 sit ups  - no rest 

GEEZUS...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6266 on: May 11, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »

GEEZUS...

Getting shit loads of ideas from GoRuck training page and the Stew Smith book, RushFit, etc. 

I do sort of a mish mash of crazy shit lately and love it.   By the end im literally soaked.  Weight loss is slow but steady - but im keeping most if not all muscle, which i attribute to making the dummbells and weight related exercises integral part of the routines. 

My cardio and fitness level right now is insane. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6267 on: May 11, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
Getting shit loads of ideas from GoRuck training page and the Stew Smith book, RushFit, etc. 

I do sort of a mish mash of crazy shit lately and love it.   By the end im literally soaked.  Weight loss is slow but steady - but im keeping most if not all muscle, which i attribute to making the dummbells and weight related exercises integral part of the routines. 

My cardio and fitness level right now is insane. 

I don't recall if you've touched upon this before, but what initially got you interested in this type of training?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6268 on: May 11, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »

I don't recall if you've touched upon this before, but what initially got you interested in this type of training?

Good question - here is my answer in bullet points

1.  always felt that while i was strong like a bull - it was limited to only a few exerciss

2.  Went to see my buddy's race as Fenway last year

3.  at 38 - wanted something different and always felt this type of training was for twinks - but i was wrong

4.  Want to be more wel rounded fitness wise 

5.  Lifting just heavy at 38 has more hazards than benefits tbh

6.  A ot of social benefits in that i can particpate in events like GoRuck, Spartan Race, TM, etc

7.  my fitness level is insane and i feel unbeliebavle right now fitness wise 

8.  Saw pics of myself and the big bulky look is not doing it any longer

9.  I hate sweating in a suit ans hate being winded

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6269 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Good question - here is my answer in bullet points

1.  always felt that while i was strong like a bull - it was limited to only a few exerciss

2.  Went to see my buddy's race as Fenway last year

3.  at 38 - wanted something different and always felt this type of training was for twinks - but i was wrong

4.  Want to be more wel rounded fitness wise 

5.  Lifting just heavy at 38 has more hazards than benefits tbh

6.  A ot of social benefits in that i can particpate in events like GoRuck, Spartan Race, TM, etc

7.  my fitness level is insane and i feel unbeliebavle right now fitness wise 

8.  Saw pics of myself and the big bulky look is not doing it any longer

9.  I hate sweating in a suit ans hate being winded

You may be the inspirational story of the decade. Expect Lifetime to make a movie about you. Of course, your part will be slightly modified and played by Delta Burke.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6270 on: May 11, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »

You may be the inspirational story of the decade. Expect Lifetime to make a movie about you. Of course, your part will be slightly modified and played by Delta Burke.

You saw my before and after from last year - almost one year anniversary for my transformation 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6271 on: May 11, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
You saw my before and after from last year - almost one year anniversary for my transformation 

Will we be humbled with new progress pics?
 ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6272 on: May 11, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »

Will we be humbled with new progress pics?
 ;)

Soon - im at 194 today - down 43lbs since last August 2012 

My goal right now is like 185.   I thought i would be a bit tighter at 194 thaqn i am right now - so i have a little more to go 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6273 on: May 12, 2013, 04:04:18 AM »
Soon - im at 194 today - down 43lbs since last August 2012 

My goal right now is like 185.   I thought i would be a bit tighter at 194 thaqn i am right now - so i have a little more to go 

Don't just go by numbers on the scale, man. Look in the mirror, too.
As you lose fat, you are probably building some muscle at the same time, which will skew the scale/weight marker. Use the mirror to judge body composition changes.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #6274 on: May 12, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »

Don't just go by numbers on the scale, man. Look in the mirror, too.
As you lose fat, you are probably building some muscle at the same time, which will skew the scale/weight marker. Use the mirror to judge body composition changes.
This ^ is right. If the mirror says you do not look good what does it matter what you weigh?