Author Topic: Extra 50K - What do you guys think?  (Read 65995 times)

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
Re: Extra 50K - What do you guys think?
« Reply #375 on: May 05, 2006, 12:13:31 AM »
Why would they wear all that stuff.  They don't do that now.  

Maybe Ron is suggesting a makeover ;D

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2006, 12:14:45 AM »
You're a Nikon Shill. Don't lie.  You've been holding down my HP 6.2 megapixel from minute one.

:)

Shill I can take but NIKON!!! STFU and get a life, I'm a CANON BOY - It's an IFBB requirement!  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #377 on: May 05, 2006, 12:15:38 AM »
Shill I can takem but NIKON!!! STFU and get a life, I'm a CANON BOY - It's and IFBB requirement!;D

Manion and Canon have been in bed since 2001. 

Also Bob Chick worked as an intern at Canon summer camp in 1988.  Coincidence? I think not.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #378 on: May 05, 2006, 12:16:35 AM »
Manion and Canon have been in bed since 2001. 

Also Bob Chick worked as an intern at Canon summer camp in 1988.  Coincidence? I think not.

You guys have gotten off topic, but the Rebel is pretty neat!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #379 on: May 05, 2006, 12:19:42 AM »
Maybe not even that, why not a weekly update show? Why not satellite radio? Sirius is giving shows out left and right, they have a 3 hour show about SCUBA DIVING! You're telling me Muscle and Fitness can't fork up $1,000 for a one hour show once a week?

Radio is fine, but to attract new interest in what is a visual sport you need TV.
Dan and Bov are doing a great job with their radio show but I would guess that it attracts people already with an interest in the sport.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #380 on: May 05, 2006, 12:20:20 AM »
 It's wonderful to see everyone getting along so well :)

thisiskeith12

« Reply #381 on: May 05, 2006, 12:22:24 AM »
Radio is fine, but to attract new interest in what is a visual sport you need TV.

Agreed. Weekly show. Theres a Fit Channel that would be perfect. Or SPIKE TV. hell they could start out on spike and then move to the fit channel. hell they could do it on hbo. i mean there are options and no one seems to be taking them

It's wonderful to see everyone getting along so well :)

I think our work is a success. It seems as though we have turn Iraq into Springfield, Illinois!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #382 on: May 05, 2006, 12:29:21 AM »
Agreed. Weekly show. Theres a Fit Channel that would be perfect. Or SPIKE TV. hell they could start out on spike and then move to the fit channel. hell they could do it on hbo. i mean there are options and no one seems to be taking them

I think our work is a success. It seems as though we have turn Iraq into Springfield, Illinois!

The TV viewer now has a voracious appetite for reality shows and a program designed to show the positive side of the sport could be key to attracting more people to shows.
I often hear that there is no comeraderie between the athletes like there was years ago. Well I've toured with these guys and it's there. Unfortunetaly it's impossible to show that in a magazine report, but TV is a whole new ball game.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #383 on: May 05, 2006, 12:30:37 AM »
The TV viewer now has a voracious appetite for reality shows and a program designed to show the positive side of the sport could be key to attracting more people to shows.
I often hear that there is no comeraderie between the athletes like there was years ago. Well I've toured with these guys and it's there. Unfortunetaly it's impossible to show that in a magazine report, but TV is a whole new ball game.
Agreed, get Mitsuru in on the deal, and you have everyone benefiting!

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #384 on: May 05, 2006, 12:35:47 AM »
I just saw on ABC the other day a report about how weight loss supplements ALONE generate over $1.6 Billion a year, now add other supplements to that, plus the magazine sales of Flex M&F and MD, and you should have a fairly large number. A number that if distributed to benefit all, would not only grow the sport as a whole, but also you can bank on a damn good investment you are making. Money talks...

Ah - there are different type of supplement companies. Performance building supplement companies cater to bodybuilders and athletes. Weight Loss Supplement Companies can be marketed via Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Drug Stores, etc, and don’t care about the bodybuilding industry. In reality, this performance building supplement companies represent a much, much smaller piece of the pie.

No you are wrong. The IFBB DOES NOT have anything to do with securing a place, time (maybe cause ofscheduling) or prize money. You have worded it so it sounds like they are doing something but in reality they do nothing. It is the promoter who does everything. They have NOTHING to do with setting up paying for any part of an expo. Ron, you must be sleeping cause you are wrong on all counts

Did I say any of that. I said that the IFBB provides us with promoters that build and secure the places for supplement companies to gain revenue via expos, etc, this sponsoring athletes, etc, and so on.  I didn’t say the IFBB itself does that.  But they are the underlying federation indirectly responsible for that.

Your last sentance is VERY wrong. WHen you have a product (new) unless you pay a premium you go where they put you not where you want or you won't be in that store.

No it isnt. If you do have a new product, with no advertisement, and no one asking for it, I agree. Pay the premium. But if you advertise and have brand recognition, it is a lot easier to get into a place, especially if customers want to buy the product, and ask for it.  I know - but each store have different rules to get it. Whether it is Costco, Target, Walmart, or other stores.

Guys like Jay Cutler, Gunter, Richard Jones, David Henry, Branch Warren, these guys are EXTREMELY MARKETABLE!! That's going on radio shows, tv shows, promoting the sport.

Radio show. Hmm.. a radio show that people can listen to and haer these guys talk... wow. Is there something like that Bob? Dan? Let’s make one, and get these guys to go on, one by one, in an hourly format ;)

Why would they wear all that stuff. They don't do that now.

They dont? I have a number of pics with some of the athletes with IFBB on them, as well as their sponsored companies.

Or SPIKE TV. The TV viewer now has a voracious appetite for reality shows and a program designed to show the positive side of the sport could be key to attracting more people to shows.

It is very expensive, and you need sponsors, even in Spike TV, to agree for commercials for you show. As Road to the Pros and others have found out, it is much more difficult than you think. Bodybuilding is a hard sell for mainstream advertisers.

But perhaps there can be little videos on the comeraderie of the athletes. Shawn Ray’s Muscle Camp’s were the best example of 6-8 bodybuilders together in a group, but are not the best attended.  And eventually, it would be call to put some video up, if it didn't take so much bandwidth up.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #385 on: May 05, 2006, 12:39:32 AM »
So move Bob and Dans to satellite. Talk about news for those who haven't kept up. Do it weekly. Hell, for a tv show, you can get advertising. It's just MD and Weider Pubs don't want to spend money. Even though they both make more than enough. A weekly wrapup show on tv discussing bodybuilding events and having features with visits to see certain guys and such would be very attactive.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #386 on: May 05, 2006, 12:49:01 AM »
So move Bob and Dans to satellite. Talk about news for those who haven't kept up. Do it weekly. Hell, for a tv show, you can get advertising. It's just MD and Weider Pubs don't want to spend money. Even though they both make more than enough. A weekly wrapup show on tv discussing bodybuilding events and having features with visits to see certain guys and such would be very attactive.

Dan and Bob on radio is still limiting. Get them on TV! In support of Weider, we are the only magazine - FLEX - that puts the resources into covering all the IFBB shows both in the US and worldwide. I'm sure that if there was enough support from the rest of the industry that they would take a proactive role in any program.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #387 on: May 05, 2006, 12:51:06 AM »
Radio has no business in Bodybuilding.  BB is visual.  That is the whole idea.  To SEE the bodys.  Just listening to guys talking is far from interesting or entertaining.  The only medium that is worth using and would benefit BB would be TV.  Spike TV is great as is FOX.  No way would a major pick it up.  And cable would probably be the ones that would even consider it seriously as a regular show.  Plus radio is not like it used to be.  People are listening to CD's in their cars.  When was the last time you ever saw someone carrying and listening to a radio.  They are using Mp3 players now.  Satellite radio is something that is coming around but I don't know.  I never really believed in radio and I have probably paid in the last 20+ years for radio advertising $100,000+ for various promotions I have done or commercials for my products.  IN fact that is only $5,000 a year and that is way off.  But I still never thought it was worth the money spent.  It is so hard to track your results from radio and listeners.  At least with a magazine or print you have something tangible to look at, hold and keep.  TV you get that visual impact that your brain remembers allot better than a radio ad.  Not sure why I am typing so much tonight

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #388 on: May 05, 2006, 12:58:38 AM »
 Not sure why I am typing so much tonight

And making sense  ;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #389 on: May 05, 2006, 01:00:26 AM »
Now that is interesting. If an IFBB pro guest poses at another event, and wears the IFBB sweatshirt with IFBB sweatpants, and is clearly promoting the IFBB, can he get in trouble for that? Not sure.

According to the current rules, the answer is 'yes', which proves just how stupid the IFBB and its leadership are and have always been.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2006, 01:04:08 AM »
You have to seperate professional bodybuilding from the multi-million dollar supplement industry. The vast majority of people who train and take supplements have absolutely no interest in pro bodybuilding. I know a hardcore gym with over 1000 members in London that was not able to sell 20 tickets to the British GP held 10 miles away.

As much as I'd like to see the sport grow, in it's current state it's reached it's peak, and you only have to look at the falling attendance and failure of shows to see that the interestest is falling.

The Arnold Weekend has grown into one of the largest sporting events in the world but the bodybuilding event only attracts the same number of people as it did 10 years ago. If Arnold can't pull them in, nobody can.

Competiotion between Walmart and Target is good for employees and consumers because the profit margins are so huge that the companies can absorb increased costs. Show promoters do not have that luxury. Limited demand from fans, means limited support from sponsors.

The majority of people who read bodybuilding magazines are not interested in the competions thenselves only the athletes physiques.

The Ironman Show is held in the body image capital of the world but can't sell out despite it being an established show and recieveing plenty of advertising.

A proliferation of new federations is not going to improve the financial earning capacity of the athletes because it't not going to put more fans on seats.

Well said, Kevin.

This post should be archived.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #391 on: May 05, 2006, 01:05:42 AM »
It would be interesting to know how important sponsored bodybuilders are to supplement sales.

Not that much.

They *used* to be back in the day, but those days are long gone.

The supplement companies still prop bodybuilding up out of a sense of loyalty.  They get a return on the investment still, but it's nothing it like used to be.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: May 05, 2006, 01:06:42 AM »
The shows should be put on by the federations.  Period.

There should be one man who is hired to coordinate 5 to 15 shows a year.  Give him a small staff and a company account.

IFBB runs all IFBB events.  PDI runs all PDI events.  When money is tight, the company takes the hit.  When there's a big payoff, they get their due back.

And if not, get ONE supp company to do a show, and hold them contractually accountable to be fiscally responsible.  Cancelling the Toronto Pro 4 weeks out- that's just mickey mouse, mate!

The best show I've ever seen is run by a supplement company. 

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #393 on: May 05, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
The best show I've ever seen is run by a supplement company. 

Was that the Charlotte Pro?
It was the one show I missed last year and everyone who attended said it was a fantastic event.
The promoter put everything he could into the event but ultimately it was the lack of support from the fans that resulted in it not being held this year?
This is the major problem I've seen over the years both in the US and Europe. The costs of putting on shows is enormous and with a very limited audience base, the probabliity of failure is high. Some promoters do it because of a love of the sport and have other business interests that can help offset the costs for a year or so but eventually they stop promoting. It's getting increasingly difficult to find new promoters. The post Olympia Euro tour used to have 6+ shows, now it's three.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #394 on: May 05, 2006, 01:22:39 AM »
 :'( me too

shortfatugly

• Getbig III
« Reply #395 on: May 05, 2006, 03:05:45 AM »
Or just get some other form of entertainment, ala, COMEDIANS!!!

shortfatugly

• Getbig III
« Reply #396 on: May 05, 2006, 03:12:29 AM »
Or just get some other form of entertainment, ala, COMEDIANS!!!

Ray McNeil was pretty funny.  he had a stand up comedy act.  That is until medford blew his face off.  After that he could no longer hit the high notes and his career nosedived.  And oh yeah, he died.

Anyway, it could have been a start: the guys tell jokes to the audience and see who gets the biggest laughs.  That is like round 4 or the challenge round. Lets see Gustavo beat Ronnie in that one...  

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #397 on: May 05, 2006, 04:13:11 AM »
I happen to have a background in law...and no, a good lawyer would not use that as the suspentions of others would be irrelevant to YOUR case. They would look to see if any other athletes that joined the PDI were allowed to still compete in the IFBB, where you were singled out for the same violation.
::)

shortfatugly

• Getbig III
« Reply #398 on: May 05, 2006, 04:15:51 AM »
::)

perhaps he meant law enforcement but he left that important piece of information out.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #399 on: May 05, 2006, 06:09:03 AM »
The best thing about the last few pages was Bob,Lee,Hrdcr and Ron were having a serious discussion while 240 and his assinine agenda were summarily ignored.